"Daily" Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Little_Guppy

Little_Guppy

Groundfish,

Thanks for the considered advice. I especially welcome the explanations as I need to understand the "why" - it's just the way I am programmed.

I adopted TCS=0 based on the general understanding that all aids help but you can do better once you dispense with them. Upon dispensing TCS=3 I improved significantly - QT, race times, DR - the lot. With your explanation, I accept that I moved prematurely and that I did not properly understand the "why" and hence my development has plateaued on FR/MR drives.

With TCS=3 I was just mashing the accelerator. TCS=0 taught me to correctly ease into it. I have not properly considered steering input. You have correctly pointed out that I have simply applied full opposite lock. Similarly, I am learning when to lightly apply the brakes and more importantly ease out of full braking sooner rather than a later quick release. The game feedback helps with that. I have not figured out the steering input or the signals when I am doing it wrong. I expect that I need to turn up the volume and listen for tire squeal.

I have had decent success with trail braking and tune the BB only when I reach a level of skill whereby I can see the effect in lap times. I am not at the level for the Nord or Suzuka but am there for the Red Bull Ring and Fuji.

So, my takeaway is that
    1. I am going test with TCS=3 and drive such that I do not use any *red* on the gas pedal, and,
    2. Use less steering input,
    3. release the steering and apply gas at the apex - sooner that I do now.
    In the end I plan to take what I learn and apply it to TCS=0. My general belief is that TCS=3 has a cost during the straights during gear changes and that cost is significant.

Will let you know how it goes.

2. Dave_H_87

Dave_H_87

@GOTMAXPOWER That was a bold move you just attempted on Super GT’s stream! That looked like a good race

Wanted to grind the N24 race tonight but
    I can only deal with one 24H race a night, the concentration is exhausting my old brain
    Started 4th with door 15 and finished 3rd in tonight’s race, no penalties and a clean race so I came out happy.

Next weeks race C looks.......interesting

3. BEBOP_Bill

BEBOP_Bill

Been running the Z4 at the ring for the week. Not the fastest but stable and predictable car for me. I have been happily surprised with drivers leaving room and not trying to make room where there isn't in race C. It's been a great fun if I don't push too hard and drive smoothly. I wish more tracks felt like the Nürburgring. Feeling all those pumps as you drive along lap after lap is great.

DefInfinity, Pigems and Groundfish like this.
  4. Groundfish

Groundfish

Imagine the car front to back is a teeter totter. The center of the car is like the center of the teeter totter.
    You brake hard the front squats weight shifts more pressure pushing down on the front. Less pressure pushing down on rear.
    Conversely under acceleration it’s opposite the rear squats.
    This relates strongly to your comment about how fast to release the brake for a given outcome you want.
    Ross Bentley mentioned you can imagine the car balance as if the whole car was supported by s single point in its center undrrneath.
    (Imagine a matchbox car balanced perfectly on a sharpened pencil point)
    The rate of brake release for a given turn correlates to winding in steering input just as on exit unwinding of steering input corresponds to throttle addition.
    A great car to goof around with is a BONe STOCK (NO TUNE!!!STOCK!!!)
    Toyota 2000gt.
    If you watch replays of yourself driving it you can see how important the balance is.
    Tcs 3 for gr3 for fwd awd but not all cars.
    The old Alpine n100 is a great drive too for practice...
    I wish you the best as I parrot the great Ross Bentley lol. Again just relating how I like to play, just in case maybe someone might get an idea from it that helps them...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Dairyworker and Pigems like this.
  5. GOTMAXPOWER

GOTMAXPOWER

That move ends like that pretty much every time :lol: Lots of fun races this week, I'll try to get an highlights video together tomorrow.

Dairyworker, KiepeYai and Pigems like this.
  6. Little_Guppy

Little_Guppy

Instead of another N24 I ran some QT laps while the circuit is still fresh.

My best QT of the week (Friday) on TCS=0 Friday and was 8:27.7.

I did four laps on TCS=3 and the second lap clocked in at 8:27.1, an improvement of six-tenths (Opt 8:24.3). I have not yet properly utilized TCS=3 as my muscle memory is making me lift in a few places. Now, I need to adjust for "too much speed" out of some places - a good and easy problem to have.

I wanted you to be wrong as my world picture would have been cleaner.

Even if there was no gain it would be a win as I get the increased insurance against spin outs.

More later. Need to start a race on TCS=3.

Groundfish, KiepeYai and Pigems like this.
  7. Redneckchef

Redneckchef Premium

See, this is where people disagree. I see this move as tactical strategy rather than poor sportsmanship. It is testing awareness and whether you can adapt to the situation. You answered with the right move. I pull that maneuver and if they ease off to be behind me then I know I lost it as I won't be attempting any sort of dirty block or anything. Howeverif they blast on by then I know I have a chance. It also allows me a tactical defense rather than just accepting defeat or trying said moves to block.

Things also depend on the car. I was getting left behind while driving the lexus even if I was in slipstream so had to gamble on what moves I could take at the end in order to make a maneuver. In one instance I slowed to pick up the lambo draft in order to help me leapfrog a driver in an aston. Had I gotten the pull on the lambo I would have tried if I could make a clean pass, but felt the tactic was valid as I had no other option than to lose 1 spot, or work to gain another one while losing out.

All different driving styles.

8. 05XR8

05XR8

It could still be ghosting qualy for 5 minutes. Plus, some players don't qualy. It would be a good option.

Even if it's about jumping in straightaway to play, at some point, players choose to qualify or not. Wiping qualifying times each day, still works.

Pigems likes this.
  9. 05XR8

05XR8

No qualy. Good clean racing. Went faster than the TT contingient. Just me and the race winning Scirocco. Oh, a Megane was in, but fell down the order.
    [​IMG]

10. LVS_1986

LVS_1986

Morning, what car for C?

dlshearon, Pigems and Redneckchef like this.
  11. Stencedaddy

Stencedaddy

Mazda Roadster Touring Car at Suzuka

So glad its the TC.

12. 05XR8

05XR8

Another clean one with a qualy time of 3:20.xxx. ;)
    [​IMG]

13. williams_v_r

williams_v_r

I can't race at Maggiore
    The screen stays in loading mode (not frozen)

dlshearon and Pigems like this.
  14. crusselz

crusselz

Yeah, as soon as I saw his name in the lobby, I knew it would be about him. Very quick driver, but always seems out to work the penalty system and can be very dirty.
    One of those names, I tend to be more aggressive around.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2020
  15. 05XR8

05XR8

That was bogus
    [​IMG]

16. RacingGrandpa

RacingGrandpa

Race C this week is with the Mazda Roadster TC and it's a barrel of fun! Everyone in the same car makes for great racing.
    I raced a guy who did the slow down on the straight going towards 130R and it's a legit defense move. We swapped places a couple of times on different places but there was no way of slipstreaming past him.
    Well done!
    Also, going two wide through T1 and the hairpin with an previously unknown driver without incidents is a great thing!!
    Thank you! Can't remember your name but will check it on the PS4 and send an FR

17. Ddkklop

Ddkklop

I was hoping for a Honda S2000 in the daily race C, or at least something similar. Mazda is not bad though, it just feels a bit bland to me.

Pigems likes this.
  18. Redneckchef

Redneckchef Premium

Just had 2 races in C. First was a better of close clean racing, lots of patience, planning maneuvering for passes by lots of drivers.

2nd race a punt on sight person of mine got near me into dunlop and I didnt see it was them, didnt even know they were in the lobby. They get my rear and spin me. P7 to p20 just that easy. Raced back up, Mr. Mean had an incident so I catch them and am all over their rear for 2 solid laps thinking lap 1 could have been a mistake, I will play nice. (Forgetting over a year of incidents with this satchel of richards) I get a nice run out of spoon, get inside and am ahead at 130r but they dont back out, I leave miles of room and they keep it on track on the outside. Then as we approach the braking zone they simply shove me off track onto the dirt. Lovely.

@05XR8 was in that race as well, I think he was having about the same luck I was.:scared:

3rd race was fun and clean, although clipped the grass in the esses and got a 1 second track cut penalty. That adds up to almost a solid 3 seconds of track time. I was 2.8 ahead of p6 when I served it and was behind heading into 130r.:irked:

Overall a good night racing. Just need to adjust a certain person's bumper in the future, but since I have out qualified them so far it might remain a non issue.

Groundfish, e1978, JEverettL and 5 others like this.
  19. ASH32

ASH32

Race C Grid Start so no stupid 20th place glitch. :gtpflag:

I'm there (starting from the back) even though I've never used this car before so it may take a while to get used to it. Anything I should be aware of, I will of course watch some replays anyway to check braking points,etc. ;)

:gtplanet::cheers:

20. ShiftingGears

ShiftingGears

might have to have a crack at Race C. N200 and not the Toyota 86 is a nice change

21. 05XR8

05XR8

Had to get away from a low bar player. Got bumped off track by them, as they went going too hot into T1, on Lap2. Dropped three spots and fought my way back up by being easy on the tyres. Pulled off a couple awesome moves to move up.
    [​IMG]

22. KiepeYai

KiepeYai

i dont see a problem with that at all, as long as they dont lift on the middle of the track, btw it depends n the situation , can’t be a sitting duck when there’s only two of us and its lap 2.
    Just stay out of the racing line and lift as much as you want., and it can get really fun too :) , and yes i did that a lot too

This turned out to be a pretty drag race

the pack almost caught us playing here :D, and yes the guy leading this race is the one that started the whole lifting shenanigans

23. DeadEyeDelboy

DeadEyeDelboy

Absolutely spot on mate, I just don’t understand why he would rather be like that than maintain a high DR SR... oh and cheers for the sub!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2020
  24. Carrera1963

Carrera1963

Oh man, SH tyres for Race C and no strategy option either... is a pit stop necessary?

EDIT: Nope, but a few people seemed to stop anyway?

Redneckchef, Pigems and dlshearon like this.
  25. ShiftingGears

ShiftingGears

It's a no-stopper

26. Mr P

Mr P

A quick quali session in the Roadster @ Suzuka.. what a great drive it is! :bowdown: I enjoy driving slower cars and this car fits well here :tup:

Off to try the others.. Have fun guys :cheers:

suprajef, Groundfish, e1978 and 9 others like this.
  27. Carrera1963

Carrera1963

Agreed, that TC Suzuka combo is nice to drive... I’ve been punted off a few times, but hopefully my SR climbing back up will start to help.

I’m off to try Race B & see how it goes...

Edit: Aaaaaarrggghhh FFS ... a great race from P6 to P3, close to P2 on the last lap & disconnected! Aaarrrggh

28. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

suprajef, Pigems, atx_wrekka and 3 others like this.
  29. Mistah_MCA

Mistah_MCA

Did a quick Race C with TC when it got switched. Someone gave me a good run for my DR bucks, so that was fun.
    I did feel rusty driving it, and oh boy, it really showed. :ouch:

suprajef, Pigems, KiepeYai and 4 others like this.
  30. AfraidRacer

AfraidRacer

Pigems, dlshearon and Mistah_MCA like this.