"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
For me equipment plays a big role. Larger tv is better. Load cell good pedals mounted rock solid are better. A larger diameter wheel means finer input control=better.
Talent trumps all, but even with lesser talent you can apply good equipment with fundamentally sound technique.
Part of it is knowledge-knowing what sound technique is, what’s the easiest most consistent way to run.
I’m not that talented but I built a foundation based on real world technique and I do pretty well sometimes. People make fun of me for tcs use in some cars but yesterday the NSX racer was a perfect example of how I do business.
He started second, overtook me, so I trolled him a little staying just back-threatening a move under braking-finally he spun it out of Larini trying to get away from me and I went on to win. On replay-watching this guys cockpit, he was a better driver than me in many ways but he was using one of the more difficult cars with no tcs and I wore him down…
I break many “SIM RULES” I don’t left foot brake, I use tcs, and I don’t watch streams except z28 for a race or two.
You can learn more by reading Ross Bentley than you will ever get from a stream, and time spent watching is time you could be practicing or participating in races. Jmo
Also, at some point imo you gotta drive your way.
Drivers all have subtle differences and idiosyncrasies.

I measured my brake travel on my csl load cell pedal and its like 1". I know my vehicles have way more than that. I think that's why you see in so many online reviews the focusing on brakes. A good brake I think can make a difference. I can even see how a non-load cell pedal would;d be advantageous if you are really, really consistent. I've been re-reading a lot of the Ross Bentley book and I'm definitely picking things up. Its a good read for anyone who hasn't done so yet

I've given up chasing DR and am just concentrating on driving 'unusual' cars.

I've come to the RS01 in Race B and wondering if anyone has any tips for getting the thing round Spa (a) quickly and, more importantly (b) smoothly and in one piece.
Running it at tcs2 and bb-2 using a controller, quali 1:21.4 and would like to find another second.
If you're getting round Spa in 1:21.4 then I think you don't need to find another second :D

I've given up chasing DR and am just concentrating on driving 'unusual' cars.

I've come to the RS01 in Race B and wondering if anyone has any tips for getting the thing round Spa (a) quickly and, more importantly (b) smoothly and in one piece.
Running it at tcs2 and bb-2 using a controller, quali 1:21.4 and would like to find another second.

Good strategy, that's pretty much what I do as well. Of course it's nice to have a good week and gain some DR, but without a top qualifying time @ Spa and the rolling start it's tough to get up near the front within 3 laps anyway. Plus, I'd rather just drive all sorts of different cars rather than the same 2 or 3 all week.

I've been running the Mustang, Jag, & Genesis because I like them and my best is 2:18.4xx with the Genesis (I think, could have been the Jag). I'll usually go through my garage and give each car a couple laps to see how they feel and I think I pulled of a 2:19.5xx or so with the RS01 but it was a bit twitchy for me and didn't run it in race. I would suggest TCS1, no real need for more than that and probably taking some time, not sure what I was running on BB but I'll check. I'll give it a few laps/races tonight and see if I can improve with it and if there's anything I can pass along. Not a top flight driver by any means, but hopefully I can help.

Last edited:
A good brake I think can make a difference. I can even see how a non-load cell pedal would;d be advantageous if you are really, really consistent. I've been re-reading a lot of the Ross Bentley book and I'm definitely picking things up. Its a good read for anyone who hasn't done so yet

It’s the most important thing imo. I initially ran the stiffest durometer but now I run the ones 1 down from stiffest-I run the little foam bit IN, as they reccomend and 50 brf.
40 feels good too. I’d run 60 if I could, but I need to do a touch of woodwork to lock my chair in place for that much force.
I run 4-4 in game everything default on wheel FEI I think 40.
Imo braking well is the biggest contributor to time. I leave settings alone anymore with this setup.
Sounds like you are on it! One thing in case you haven’t noticed is steering input combined with the trail braking-the game rewards a very smooth flowing uninterrupted turn in to apex combined with the trailing off brake.
If the turn in is too jerky or twitchy or interrupted you lose the cars grip and balance-you won’t have the best limit of grip.
As always you wanna get the turning input maxed at apex then LET the car run out, you don’t wanna death grip the thing, the self centering force of the wheel is quite helpful it’s faster and easier on the tires IF you can do it. On tcs 3, I’m using second gear almost punching it at apex turn one and the snorkel (sometimes first with tire wear) and Larini. With tcs if you are sensitive on a csl you can feel the ffb on exit and how being gentle opening up keeps tcs from full cut. You can feel when you get it just right, throttle almost all the way floored at apex in second then pinned just as that ffb feels right.
I’ve been getting the jump on most people outta the slow corners as they are busy sliding or staying in third turn one. Turn one I’d rather enter a touch barely slow but punch second as soon as possible then watch the time look good…
Especially in gr2, you don’t turn the wheel much at all, including COD, slowly smoothly and in time to apex…
It’s very challenging I can only sometimes do it really well, flowing it all together is like writing an essay in cursive.
It’s not something you can “force” it’s something where you build in the fundamentals run 80 percent lap after lap with a little margin for control then LET the subconscious start to takeover.
Fun stuff, sometimes you’ll just find yourself in a zone in race where you’re aware but not thinking…Flow

Edit for me I have a tough time very tough with really getting my line really really good, I tend to death grip it and tend to be unsmooth those are my biggest struggles, and that last second may prove to be out of my reach. I will maybe do 30 minutes or so on qual and see what happens. My 26.7 was optimal and I did it with both Lexus and GTR Monday. Shared em up. I’m not sure I have much left in the tank….

Last edited:
Will try that next time :) Actually the 2nd time it's happened recently, I turned away that time too. I stupidly thought he may be a sporting chap:ouch:
You did the normal human thing. We instinctively pull away to avoid the collision.

Dirty drivers force these collisions whether you go left or right. In future I am going to try to turn into them a bit to see what happens.

Going to jump on some qualy in a bit and see if I can get a high 26 for race c, currently sitting on a 27.1 but i know I'm missing one of my sectors optimally with that 27 so I think a high 26 is do-able.

Was a shock last night going from running softs in quali to starting the race on mediums, it's almost like driving a whole different track and car when your following on mediums in dirty air. Barely could break into the 29s for race pace, definitely need to practice more

I start on softs. Run them 7 then switch to med. Med work better after a lap, and after that warm up on the lighter car are only about half a second off softs.
Low mid 28 pace all laps except last lap on med usually 29.
Tcs 3 bb0

To me, the car isn’t 3 seconds a lap faster running softs last. Running med from cold in the heavy car just loses too much.

Last edited:
I start on softs. Run them 7 then switch to med. Med work better after a lap, and after that warm up on the lighter car are only about half a second off softs.
Low mid 28 pace all laps except last lap on med usually 29.
Tcs 3 bb0

To me, the car isn’t 3 seconds a lap faster running softs last. Running med from cold in the heavy car just loses too much.

dont softs with a heavy car burn them even faster?

Trying race A for a bit. It's hard to nail all sectors on one lap. Especially sector 2 is losing me time. Qualified with 1:53.6, optimum is 1.52.999. Still looking for that second to gain somewhere, but one tiny error loses a lot of time here at Fuji.

dont softs with a heavy car burn them even faster?

Tire wear is driver/input dependent. If the tires making noise it’s wearing. It’s not at all a fixed thing based on multiplier.
That said, yes it does.
The other thing about it no one mentions is safety. Faster is safer. Early in race things can be more bunched up, I like having that extra grip early. I want track position-being behind is always a problem. You could go five med, be stuck in traffic and come out on fresh softs but your way way behind and you’ll have to battle and be slowed to make progress. Easier to catch guys out early and slip by on softs.
In this game if the softer compound is forced and both are forced so no stop isn’t viable I always default to starting soft. If you go slow people will dive and bother you, gotta go fast as possible.
Imo you lose too much to make up most times to make gambling on going slower first stint to be worth it
Jmo

Last edited:
9532CA8E-B0FE-4711-9B31-281E7F664EFD.jpeg
Had some race C with my alt. Had fun :cheers:
Mid pack B/S is quite clean it seems 👍

I've had a disaster of a few races today. Like, the worst day of racing I've ever had. A lot of it is my fault but I've across some terribly dirty drivers, too. It's the same story every week.

The last one had some guy knock someone off the track, then slow down for them to be courteous. Right in front of me. Got a 2 second penalty. I rage quit.

Another thing I've learned is that I'm greedy as hell. I should know better than to take the CoD flat out in a race but I keep doing it. The definition of insanity.

Last edited:
Ended the night with a win in race A. The lobby was a bit weaker. I started from 2nd place, took the lead in T1 and managed to keep the next car out of my slipstream. Somehow I beat my qualification time on both lap 2 and 3 :D And no stupid penalties.

Overall the racing in the B/S lobbies in race A has been clean for me, just a few minor incidents.

No time this week anymore to follow up the win, hopefully next week will have good races.

Well soon time to go in country. I ran about 10-15 min of qual with ffb up to 5-5.
26.8 several times and resulted in optimal 26.6 so looks like my times pretty well maxed out for what I do.
Lol the fans cranking on my wheel too, back to 4-4 for race entry.
Onward.

Last edited:
Holy crap Race C is hard. I have qualied top 5 in damn near every race and I finish consistently in bottom 5. But I'd like to think it's been a learning experience. A lot on my mind, too, which probably isn't best for such a difficult race. So damn distracted over raging on irl stuff.

Looking strong out there @Groundfish. I was trying to catch up but @GOTMAXPOWER caught me first and I cracked at the CoD after a lap of pressure, 13 laps and I think I'll hit that wall at least once every race haha.

I was getting pissed at the Brazilians blocking me. Next one I got a bum match.
Im goin in on this one rn.
Im sticking to my soft tires first, if they block they block so what the race is too fun not to enter.

I was getting pissed at the Brazilians blocking me. Next one I got a bum match.
Im goin in on this one rn.
Im sticking to my soft tires first, if they block they block so what the race is too fun not to enter.
Yea I'm running another, fun combo. Might be seeing you I think I got drop split after last race.

Holy crap Race C is hard. I have qualied top 5 in damn near every race and I finish consistently in bottom 5. But I'd like to think it's been a learning experience. A lot on my mind, too, which probably isn't best for such a difficult race. So damn distracted over raging on irl stuff.

Gotta be a woman issue. $100.

I got my qualifying time down to 1:28:265 which is great! But I think I’m at my limit for my skills with that time. More practice and studying the top times will remedy that but that can wait for now. I wanted to get some racing in.

First race I got too excited and had many, many self-inflicted wounds to stay competitive. A bunch of off tracks, an accidental punt, and a visit to the CoD killed all my momentum. I did manage to go from last to P13 for a moral victory.

Second race, I start P3. I get bumped on lap 1 in the uphill chicane by the eventual race winner. They were bumping and blocking from what I saw in the race replay. Anything to win, I guess. Anyway, I drop to P10 after all that mess. I keep my pace steady and avoid conflict to finish P3. I had a nice chat with the P4 driver afterwards about dirty drivers and dead tires on the last laps.

Last race, I start P2. P1 goes off on the uphill chicane on the first lap and I’m in the lead! For 2 whole laps…I misjudge the CoD just enough to slow me down to let P2 get by. We have a nice clean race, but I just can’t keep up. I’m on the mediums they were on the softs as they were slowly pulling away from me. I pit on the end of lap 6 to have some more soft tire left for the final laps. They stay out 1 more lap. I got stuck behind a slower car, but I don’t want to risk a penalty and do something dumb, so I wait and pass safely. After the leader exits the pits, I’m right on their tail, slowly gaining and closing the gap. A bit later, my old friend the CoD makes an appearance as I kiss the wall on the entry, but I don’t spin out thankfully. I finish the race in P3. I think I had a legitimate shot to with the last race, I just so happened to hit the CoD at the worst possible time. Oh well, it happens.

It’s the most important thing imo. I initially ran the stiffest durometer but now I run the ones 1 down from stiffest-I run the little foam bit IN, as they reccomend and 50 brf.
40 feels good too. I’d run 60 if I could, but I need to do a touch of woodwork to lock my chair in place for that much force.
I run 4-4 in game everything default on wheel FEI I think 40.
Imo braking well is the biggest contributor to time. I leave settings alone anymore with this setup.
Sounds like you are on it! One thing in case you haven’t noticed is steering input combined with the trail braking-the game rewards a very smooth flowing uninterrupted turn in to apex combined with the trailing off brake.
If the turn in is too jerky or twitchy or interrupted you lose the cars grip and balance-you won’t have the best limit of grip.
As always you wanna get the turning input maxed at apex then LET the car run out, you don’t wanna death grip the thing, the self centering force of the wheel is quite helpful it’s faster and easier on the tires IF you can do it. On tcs 3, I’m using second gear almost punching it at apex turn one and the snorkel (sometimes first with tire wear) and Larini. With tcs if you are sensitive on a csl you can feel the ffb on exit and how being gentle opening up keeps tcs from full cut. You can feel when you get it just right, throttle almost all the way floored at apex in second then pinned just as that ffb feels right.
I’ve been getting the jump on most people outta the slow corners as they are busy sliding or staying in third turn one. Turn one I’d rather enter a touch barely slow but punch second as soon as possible then watch the time look good…
Especially in gr2, you don’t turn the wheel much at all, including COD, slowly smoothly and in time to apex…
It’s very challenging I can only sometimes do it really well, flowing it all together is like writing an essay in cursive.
It’s not something you can “force” it’s something where you build in the fundamentals run 80 percent lap after lap with a little margin for control then LET the subconscious start to takeover.
Fun stuff, sometimes you’ll just find yourself in a zone in race where you’re aware but not thinking…Flow

Edit for me I have a tough time very tough with really getting my line really really good, I tend to death grip it and tend to be unsmooth those are my biggest struggles, and that last second may prove to be out of my reach. I will maybe do 30 minutes or so on qual and see what happens. My 26.7 was optimal and I did it with both Lexus and GTR Monday. Shared em up. I’m not sure I have much left in the tank….

I still have some tuning to do in my brake to finalize how I like it. I did another mod to my playseat challenge yesterday to elevate the pedals into a more proper GT position. Currently with my brake I'm running no foam insert, (3) 65's and (3) 85's. BRF I vary between 40 and 50, with it currently being at 40. Maybe I'll put the foam thing back in tonight and run all 85"s (middle ones). I have my force feedback at torque 7 and sensitivity 10. Maybe I'll back it down to your setting and see how I like it

Is that an acceptable move to go for?
Risky, but within the rules. You only changed line once and before braking. He changed line in the braking area after his brake lights came on. Looks like he thought he had the inside covered and changed line in a panic when you showed him otherwise :lol:

Shame about the penalty :boggled:

Last edited:
The problem I have with mediums is that you need a big pace advantage to make passes because of the dirty air. It's easy to get trapped in a train even if those cars are a second off your pace. I like the extra grip with softs whilst the field is bunched up, you can gain 5-10 places then defend it to the finish when the race is more spread out.

Your advice is totally opposite of what I choose to run in this combo. But, you're an alien, so I shouldn't be surprised. :lol:

In my 1 race so far at DTS I started on softs due to my starting position. I tend to decide on strategy that way. Top 10 then softer first. Behind that then harder first and try and gain on those on harder tyres at the end.

This Gr. 2/DTS combo has to be unique. I feel like I've tuned into the car & track in race situations. I run the same strategy every time, no matter my starting position. In the video I posted last night, I started on the RM while the car behind me started on the RS. He barged inside of me at the snorkel & proceeded to drive off....for a few laps. The NSX who passed me 2-3 laps later ran the same strategy, but went 1 less lap on the RM. So, I would have caught the lead GT-R anyway, even without the contact with the NSX. And had he not been so desperate to win a race, I would have gotten the NSX too.

You did the normal human thing. We instinctively pull away to avoid the collision.

Dirty drivers force these collisions whether you go left or right. In future I am going to try to turn into them a bit to see what happens.

Next time, I'm not going to hold my line. I'll turn into them. Kiss the chicane buddy! :lol:

Who is at fault for this little incident, my thoughts were that it's an harsh penalty, his was that I'm a [BLEEPING][BLEEPER].

Even before I watched the video, I knew the answer was "yes", it was an acceptable move. He obviously had to see you as that car shifted quickly toward you & made first contact. Just like the NSX driver who blocked me & pushed me into the wall in the middle of the CoD yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is at fault for this little incident, my thoughts were that it's an harsh penalty, his was that I'm a [BLEEPING][BLEEPER].

He’s full of crap. It’s an optimistic move but you didn’t touch him and there was absolutely space available. From watching the video it’s obvious to me he’s just pissed he didn’t anticipate your move and then decided to shove you into the barrier. If someone’s to receive a penalty, it’s him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back