"Daily" Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Sep 7, 2020.

1. sturk0167

sturk0167

Mostly, yes.
    Actually, pretty much every race A since Alsace.

Pigems, Redneckchef and Groundfish like this.
  2. Lateralus5813

Lateralus5813

I did only the last two. Monza was ok, Laguna is really weird, maybe a bug?

Pigems and sturk0167 like this.
  3. sturk0167

sturk0167

Recently, it seems like PD has changed their formula for race A. It was was a lot easier for me to keep clean with the usual N100/N220 cars.
    Lately, they're picking faster cars, which are mostly ones that suck. As long as this game has existed, my biggest problem has been running into people who brake before I expect them to.
    No matter. Just did my first Laguna race at E. I got a bs SR down on the first lap, and laughed out loud. There's no stress when you don't care. :tup:

crusselz, Qyn, Timm Sheehan and 4 others like this.
  4. Groundfish

Groundfish Premium

1BB7037D-0657-4B39-95F2-72D01DD79532.gif

GTS can serve many purposes, from artistic expression to pure competition.
    If we meet in sport mode, no quarter shall be given, until you release the order, execute order 66 is in effect. I will harbor no ill will against you, my trusted friend.

Bro, let go and have fun!
    I find when the game stresses me it also gives me an outlet for stress release!
    Lmao

Dairyworker, 6BK, Pigems and 4 others like this.
  5. sturk0167

sturk0167

I don't know. Maybe. Here's an example. As you can see, I do nothing to hurt the other drivers. Nevertheless, PD gives me 2 RS downs in the first minute. This is pretty much how all my races have gone lately. It's possible that I'm bad, and unaware of it. :confused:
    Not a big deal. When a good race comes along, I'll get back to where I think I should be. :)

Regarding the black car you see at the end (who blocked me on the straight, then didn't turn), I was planning to rough him up for what you saw, plus some other stuff he did later, but a Colombian beat me to it. :tup: :lol:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 3:10 AM
  6. Groundfish

Groundfish Premium

This week, I tried a couple A races, but I’m not feeling it there. Right now I’m just cruising b from the back.
    C race is Fuji.
    I would have preferred if they flipped tracks between b and c race.
    I might fire up dr2 or ACC this week.’
    Gr2 last week turned out to be super addictive, but this week is starting slow, for me.

Edit I enjoyed 4 clean b races in a roW, then I was unceremoniously bash in the cereal bowl right hander last lap.
    I am goin in no warmup on c now since it was my fault and I’m A sr now. Preparing to get bored dawdling about.
    I was runnin my Mello Yello m4 in b, at least I looked good out there.
    I’m boycotting A I’m pretty sure since I bought a Stingray n400 but it’s a one make...
    What am I gonna do with it now?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 3:49 AM
    Qyn, sturk0167 and Pigems like this.
  7. Fanatico1981

Fanatico1981

Hi

What is the preferred car for the B Race?

Qyn, 6BK and Pigems like this.
  8. AlexWilmot

AlexWilmot

Seems to be the TT or RCZ, but I've used the Viper and seen a Ferrari and M4 in a race with me, just be careful to not hit anyone no matter how light of a touch, will kill your SR

Granadier, NoStopN, StanNz and 2 others like this.
  9. DanSHW

DanSHW

Sticking with the Jag for Fuji, it's fun, but it's not going well for me. Improved my Q time, but not by much, and started P12. Got punted at T2, and swung back onto the track straight into the punter, gave him a light sideways tap, avoided temptation to smash him right off the outside though. Ended up in a great battle with a mixed group of 5 other cars, two took each other out, but I carefully made my way through the others, and took 5th at the end of lap 8 by getting a better exit from the final corner, at which point my pedal cable had jiggled itself loose, and I lost throttle. Only took a few seconds to realise what had happened and plug back in, but looking at lap times, I lost about 15s, and was back down to P12. Made up a couple of places quickly, and had a good battle with a 787B over the last couple of laps, got him at T1 on the last lap and held him off to finish P9. Dropped more DR and SR, down to 52 now, my lowest SR recorded on Kudos!

Dairyworker, Pigems and RacingGrandpa like this.
  10. 6BK

6BK

I’ve set my best time in RCZ and near the same in TT. I just prefer the gearing in RCZ so race with it. I’ve tried M4, Viper and Ferrari and all feel nice on the track, give the impression of speed, and when I pass the finish line I’m 2 or 3 seconds off the FWD rivals. BOP should be putting 2 dead bodies in the back of the FWD cars.

As for SR it’s a mess. The race is just not long enough so if you have a negative SR on any segment it has just as large an impact on your rating as it would in any other race but there are not enough segments in a 6 minute race to compensate so even if the rest of your race is clean your rating will still go down.

Redrufnsor, Stanfandango, Qyn and 6 others like this.
  11. Jason885

Jason885

I have used the RCZ and TT, I get a slightly quicker lap fron the RCZ but I am very comfy with this car and it suits my drive style a little better than the TT.
    Think it's just a case of finding the best car for you and your style of driving. :D

Qyn, Pigems and 6BK like this.
  12. Groundfish

Groundfish Premium

I ran the m4 on b, typically rwd is a better choice there, in good hands.
    I should think viper AMG, even Ferrari or Porsche, in good hands, or lambo.
    I was easily overtaking ff cars since the drivers I faced couldn’t carry enough speed on exit and through high speed turns. Ff has never been META here that I remember...I was wondering yesterday if I was going crazy with all the ff.
    At one time Alfa was a great choice but I don’t think Alfa is running on all cylinders under current balance of power adjustments.
    Last night I had a bad c race-guy tried to sideswipe me into the pits as I was overtaking his Sauber in the Porsche, then a guy got in front of me in approaching turn one as soon as he was ahead swooped in front of me and slammed brakes, punting himself and giving me a pen.
    In race, the cars are much more planted than you would think with fuel weight.
    Of course I took sr down and pen late in the race so instead of moving up I moved down to b sr.
    BAC was .081. Bad bad bad lol

05XR8, Qyn, Redneckchef and 4 others like this.
  13. Jason885

Jason885

Race B, 2 races today started in 12 +11 respectively and got bumped off the track to last and no way to catch up in both races, don't think it was bad sportsmanship but down to bad braking lol

Pigems and 6BK like this.
  14. rhcpeppers

rhcpeppers

I decided to give Race C a try last night, and I wasn't terrible - Q11/P7 :). Lobby was a mixed bag of DR A/B/C/D. A LOT of Saubers, but I was one of two people using the 787B (the other didn't finish). My qual time was 1:30.5 and my best lap in the race was 1:31.6. I had several moments of some good side-by-side racing which was fun.

One of the big things for me was that I didn't get any penalties. With the speed of these cars, you really gain a ton of time on cars that are serving penalties. Even cars that were clearly faster than me took a couple of laps to catch me after they served 2-second penalties.

I've never raced the Group C cars in sport mode before so I did a lot of practice before this race, and kind of treated it like an FIA race. I tried several laps with each of the cars and the 787B was best for me. The R92 was slowest, the other 3 were similar to each other, but the 787B gave me slightly faster times and I was definitely more consistent with it.

Before entering the Daily Race, I did a Custom Race against the AI to see how it would feel with other cars on the track and to get a sense of the tire wear. I set it up as a one-make 787B race to make sure they were all Group C cars. This also gave me an idea for where my trouble spots might be in the race ("Hey cpeppers, don't brake late before the chicane!"). There was also a funny moment where one of the AI cars spun out in turn 1 and was just sitting at a dead stop in the middle of the turn. Naturally, I plowed right into it! I think my brain was expecting the car to ghost :lol:.

I still have a long way to go to get comfortable with the Group C cars, but this was a good start :cheers:.

15. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

I might have to amend my earlier statement of how much I was looking forward to Race C. I've set a decent qualifying lap, but driving these cars in the final sector is the polar opposite of fun. How are people taking the torture chamber...I mean final section at Fuji? 3rd gear or just trying to feather the throttle?

16. kungtotte_

kungtotte_

The chicane is what kills me. I can do the rest of the final sector okay if I treat the throttle like I'm stepping on a rattlesnake, but I cannot find a line through the chicane that doesn't involve spinning or parking the car...

17. DanSHW

DanSHW

Fuji came good for me today, lined up P7 in the Jag again, survived T1, up to P3 on lap 1, picked off P2 at T1 on lap 2, and immediately saw P1 spinning into the barrier ahead of me, giving me the lead! P2 missed with a punt at T1 the next lap, but the new P2 was closing in in a Porsche, had a good fight for several laps until I made a mess of the last corner on about lap 8, side by side for T1 down to T2, but then he was past, and in the next lap a Sauber had me for P2. The same attempted punter tried again at the beginning of lap 12, missed again, and went deep into the run off area, so I crossed the line P3, only to be immediately credited with P2, the actual P2 showing with a finish time, but in P20 behind 5 or so DNFs, and his rating after the race showed -- E, disconnect? Either way P2 and a CRB has helped my DR and SR back up!!

18. RacingGrandpa

RacingGrandpa

I brake slightly early for the chicane, just before the Dunlop sign above, goes to 1st and turn in so I come in early and goes through diagonally, changes to second on exit, up to third, brake at second white line pointing away from track and turn in to right curve. Goes to third, brakes at white line pointing out from track on right, trailbrake to curb on left, accelerate towards orange part of Armco behind last curve, brake and change down to second as I pass the orange sector on Armco at right,then accelerate out towards finish line.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 7:54 PM
  19. NevilleNobody

NevilleNobody

Really? I gotta give them a go then, all I see are FF

Qyn, Groundfish and Pigems like this.
  20. Redneckchef

Redneckchef Premium

@GTWolverine and @kungtotte_

I dont normally recommend streamers for tips unless it is an instructional video they've made, but watching the Kie25 stream of doing race C front the back shows the way through the chicane.

For reference I brake just before the dunlop sign, downshift into 1st as a rotating point and pretty much cut the curb, left wheels only on the red and white part. This allows you to straight line that first part pretty much. Immediately into 2nd and feather the throttle, take the left and feather it to warm the turbo then floor it once planted.

I am pretty solid 90pct of the time through there if not more now.

Also check out Tidgneys weekly race guide as he has a few good markers there.

Dairyworker, Pigems and sturk0167 like this.
  21. Groundfish

Groundfish Premium

Maybe Lexus too. First ever gr4 online ever. Entered a five lapper here in Lexus, qualified 4th and was taken out at turn two by something I’ve never seen before where a car didn’t brake turn 1 at all, came across and took me and only me out.
    Almost like the game said “welcome thanks for practicing all afternoon”
    That was back when ASM was still allowed. My first ever gr4 online was a last to fourth comeback run!
    I was hooked.

22. Ian JB

Ian JB

Race B - Lago Maggiore!

Blimey crikey and other polite expletives. Race B has been a revelation for me this week. 2 Poles. 2 wins. Several 2nd's and 3rds. Almost all clean and NO penalties. My DR has gone up by more than 7250 points!

Now I am ranked B/S. Does this mean that I am now racing against a different set of players? Will I get massacred by much quicker people? Do I break out a new livery to celebrate or is this going to be like my old school teacher used to say to me....

"Go to the top of the class Ian, but don't take your bag - You won't be there long!"

Best regards.

Ian.

23. sturk0167

sturk0167

I just did a C race. SR 5 --> 56. :lol:

*Side note: I was really surprised to see how many D drivers didn't use traction control. :scared:
    I went from last to 3rd without having to do any proper overtakes. Only 9 people actually stayed for the whole race. :dopey:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 9:44 PM
  24. Qyn

Qyn

Just race your race like you belong there. You did get there after all :D :tup:.

Edit: Congrats on the dubs!

25. Redneckchef

Redneckchef Premium

Took my alt outin NA for race C. Figured easy way to top up SR, start at the back and pick off the spinners. Nope. Rammed into turn 1 by the only driver behind me. Barged off sideways, non brakers everywhere. It was like the wild west. Now down to SR B. This is going to be crazy.:cheers:

It's a whole new game trying to avoid people who are just going totally kamikaze the whole way around the first few laps.

EDIT: Just got dropped to SR C. Time to qualify and get some CRB racing from the front. Did steal fastest lap earlier with a 29.6 on lap 12 so I am getting my pace back

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020 at 3:06 AM
    afc5150, sturk0167 and Pigems like this.
  26. Granadier

Granadier Premium

It should really be 4 laps long

Pigems and Stencedaddy like this.
  27. Deadpool

Deadpool

Anyone else just get the network disconnect? Had a great race going in C and got dropped.

Pigems and ILLEAGLE_34 like this.
  28. KiepeYai

KiepeYai

Some individuals got sick race craft , ie moving very late ,doing double moves,, i think they just defend the position at all cost because they know they dont have the pace to repass so apparently its better to lose time fighting

, He moved really late , i had to swerve but it was too late i tapped him and he had 1 sec penalty, he just hates being responsible i guess so he decided to wait for me so he can punt me but guess what happened ,,,, credits to PD , first time they did me right . I saw him coming and i thought my race was over, i even missed the apex just concentrating at the radar:D .

he had 86 on his name so i assumed he was 34, ( i always assume if you older , you're wiser but this wasn't the case) we were Both running in decent positions and it was still the opening laps but he still thought it was necessary to play ping pong
    :boggled:

crusselz, sturk0167, jad866 and 2 others like this.
  29. 05XR8

05XR8

Race C. How I drive the final sector in the 787B(DS4):

brake from the Dunlop sign. 5-4-3-2-1st gear. Steering right, shift to 2nd gear. While the gear is being selected, straighten steering. Ride left kerb. Accelerate with straight steering over kerb on right.
    Select 3rd gear and slight lift just before rear wheels leave the kerb.
    Accelerate thru and downshift to 2nr. Feather throttle into the right-hander and hard acceleration in the long left. Selecting 3rd gear.

Lift, select 2nd. Brake wheel straightening steering. Apply half brake pressure and get the car turned right.
    Hard acceleration as the car moves right. Only right tyres on the kerb and keep acceleration before slowing for the final turn.

Got that?;)

30. Stencedaddy

Stencedaddy

its the last turn for me. it just doesn't make any sense. I probably lose alot of time there.

Pigems likes this.