"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
Well, my Daughter's allt had awesome fun in Race C. B/S got paired with A/S and D/S players.

Set a 3:05 in the 962 C on RM. Started 13th on RM. Finished 7th, bumped up to 6th(5th place got 1 minute penalty). Crazy last lap, with three players being taken out on the next to last corner. I arrive with two of the three ghosting and one accelerating slowly. Was a pretty clean race, as far as patience by other players, while I'm in a slower cornering car.

Next race, same qualy. 919 on RM. Started 12/14. Finished 4th. A knucklehead in an SRT divebombs me off a quarter of the way on the first lap and quits soon after. I had made it up to 5th. Dropped back down to 11th. Battling a one red bar TS050. Just couldn't figure out how far ahead. Even though it was reading between .1-.9s. That's how close we stayed for the first stint.

I pitted early for the undercut. That brought an early stopper and some from the back to catch up. I get run wide somewhere. Dispatch that group and make hay as I can see the TS050 enter the pits. Hauled butt and juuuuuuuust made it by at the kink to T1. From there, I checked out.

P3(919) and P4(a different TS050) were struggling. Must have been on RMs or pitted earlier than me. The 919 goes off at the exit of the long straight. The TS050 struggled to make the corner. I'm behind it through the esses and heading to the final series of corners. Make my exit real smooth on the final corner and finish .115 behind. Good replay to watch.

All the SRTs DNFd.

I actually like the new LMP cars here. Feels more Le Mans than Le Mans. ;)

The hybrids are becoming a problem at race C. Have had some good races, but the last 2 have started to become survival matches. The hybrids have such a launch into turn 1 they dont know how to brake, or they think the hybrid boost that got them the pass exiting turn 1 means they can send it from anywhere after that. Keep getting punted off by late braking hybrid heroes.

On the plus side I'm getting a little better at recovery drives in this thing as I learn the 908. Saw @D_Dragline for a couple, but he seemed to be getting the same rough treatment in those racea I got in my last 2.

The hybrids are becoming a problem at race C. Have had some good races, but the last 2 have started to become survival matches. The hybrids have such a launch into turn 1 they dont know how to brake, or they think the hybrid boost that got them the pass exiting turn 1 means they can send it from anywhere after that. Keep getting punted off by late braking hybrid heroes.

On the plus side I'm getting a little better at recovery drives in this thing as I learn the 908. Saw @D_Dragline for a couple, but he seemed to be getting the same rough treatment in those racea I got in my last 2.
Yeah, it’s become a pattern now. The hybrids understeer dramatically so if one gets inside you it will almost always simply understeer you into a wall. This means you have to either back off more than you should or compromise your entries to hold the inside. In the last race we did I got swamped by the hybrid pack in sector 1 and dropped 6 spots just through driving to survive instead of racing.

The most infuriating thing though is that they have worked out that holding you up on the entries onto the straights nullifies the advantage the power cars have. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve almost rear-ended a hybrid into the right hander before the long straight. I’m getting close to simply putting the elbows out and barging past the way they do.

Yeah, it’s become a pattern now. The hybrids understeer dramatically so if one gets inside you it will almost always simply understeer you into a wall. This means you have to either back off more than you should or compromise your entries to hold the inside. In the last race we did I got swamped by the hybrid pack in sector 1 and dropped 6 spots just through driving to survive instead of racing.

The most infuriating thing though is that they have worked out that holding you up on the entries onto the straights nullifies the advantage the power cars have. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve almost rear-ended a hybrid into the right hander before the long straight. I’m getting close to simply putting the elbows out and barging past the way they do.
It comes out in the end. Just had a fantastic race long back and forth with a Tomahawk driver. For some reason the hybrids didnt manage to jump us into turn 1 and as we turned off the short straight we got away. Back and forth in opposite strategies. Good clean racing. Both of us making passes if the other bobbled, but otherwise caught in the dirty air mud. I nipped it in the end by 0.2 as they went wide on the last sweeping right. Very clean fun race. Glad to have the win, would have been fine with p2 as well.

Good races can still be there.

PS: All the hybrids ate themselves to bits. They were about 10 seconds back of us and all with penalties

It comes out in the end. Just had a fantastic race long back and forth with a Tomahawk driver. For some reason the hybrids didnt manage to jump us into turn 1 and as we turned off the short straight we got away. Back and forth in opposite strategies. Good clean racing. Both of us making passes if the other bobbled, but otherwise caught in the dirty air mud. I nipped it in the end by 0.2 as they went wide on the last sweeping right. Very clean fun race. Glad to have the win, would have been fine with p2 as well.

Good races can still be there.

PS: All the hybrids ate themselves to bits. They were about 10 seconds back of us and all with penalties
If there’s no hybrids within 3 grid places then they never catch you. That’s when the really good races happen.

You can really tell the regs. You guys know how to race. Great racing with you 🙂.
If everyone can behave races like this A are some of the best in online racing, imo.
My apologies if you were caught in any less than stellar moves by me.

edit @KosmoKazi I would have liked to race more but concentration was shot after so much racing today.
Nice dicing with you! Hope to race again!

Edit ha! Just watched a replay and it’s a photo finish with you, Bill!
I had forgotten that race! Great driving!!!
View attachment 1064171
Yup! I remember that race. We had some fun battles, good stuff. You had me a just a tenth there. Hope to race with you again some time. It’s always great to race with fellow GT Planetiers in he daily’s.

Keep on keeping on!

I think the big advantage of race A is that the cars are not stupid fast.
This means that you really need to strategize and think and you have time to do so.
This A race is the perfect length, even if you get mugged early, as long as you don’t get reset or spun you have time to catch.
But, overall I find in GTS that in group 1 there’s few players that can race those things right.
Most just throw it in there from everywhere crash everyone-the cars are way too much for the players, heck you’ve got people running those without TCS lmao, spinning crashing diving, even gr3 this is too much car for a lot of players…jmo

A race is great because experienced players can seperate themselves.
Plus it’s a grid start.
Jmo A race is the more pure racing.
I dunno but sitting there on the grid waiting for the light to go out, I can almost smell the exhaust, my senses sharpen, I can picture the drivers, all of us squinting like gunfighters in the old west or looking at each other pre start like poker players…
Then BOOM dump the clutch and let’s go!
Jmo but this race makes it VERY clear who knows how to race and who does not. It’s just an epic combo.
It’s been a while since I’ve gotten into the world of A race, but it’s very cool.
It’s in some way the most pure this week…
No downforce, pure mechanical grip, great track…This is the “feeling” this clip right here…It’s not a childish frenetic pseudo arcade Hyper digital car, it’s a slow burn…This is race A.

I'm working to get some good results with McLaren on this daily weekend C. It's fun to drive but at least for me, brake bias at the front to prevent understeer. I saw someone here mentioning saving fuel. I did two races and I didnt save fuel at all. It was on the limit.

This track is a little tough to learn. Gonna try a non hybrid too.

@Groundfish , I totally agree with you for Race A but we could use a couple more lap. Slower cars mean more time to think and react, it's not all on reflexes and split second decision. Also the slower car brings a smaller and different crowd than the usual "I want to go fast". With the right people in the room, you can do stuff like this:

The fight cost us a lot of time but we both gave room and survive.

This week is going good for me. No QT in Race C is fun and rewarding. In one race, I had to stay away from a couple of guys slamming each other. When only one of the morons was still in front and I get alongside, he didn't do anything to arm me, so I guess it was more of a retaliation against the other guys.

51283321833_5a0c87f8a0_c.jpg

@Groundfish , I totally agree with you for Race A but we could use a couple more lap. Slower cars mean more time to think and react, it's not all on reflexes and split second decision. Also the slower car brings a smaller and different crowd than the usual "I want to go fast". With the right people in the room, you can do stuff like this:

The fight cost us a lot of time but we both gave room and survive.

This week is going good for me. No QT in Race C is fun and rewarding. In one race, I had to stay away from a couple of guys slamming each other. When only one of the morons was still in front and I get alongside, he didn't do anything to arm me, so I guess it was more of a retaliation against the other guys.

51283321833_5a0c87f8a0_c.jpg

That turn at the top of the hill in Sector 3 of the Lago Maggiore West course is a riot... you can send it big time and if you keep it hooked up as you hit the sharp part of the crest, you can pull a ton of distance on the car in front of you, heading into that last hairpin. Such a fun place, really forgiving but rewarding at the same time. I always knew it would be fun in a car, but we seem to only race this track in karts, normally. It's proven to be fun in the M3, for sure. The FF effect always works pretty well when you get that unloaded feeling as you turn, which adds to the fun and immersion factors.

I think the big advantage of race A is that the cars are not stupid fast.
This means that you really need to strategize and think and you have time to do so.
This A race is the perfect length, even if you get mugged early, as long as you don’t get reset or spun you have time to catch.
But, overall I find in GTS that in group 1 there’s few players that can race those things right.
Most just throw it in there from everywhere crash everyone-the cars are way too much for the players, heck you’ve got people running those without TCS lmao, spinning crashing diving, even gr3 this is too much car for a lot of players…jmo

A race is great because experienced players can seperate themselves.
Plus it’s a grid start.
Jmo A race is the more pure racing.
I dunno but sitting there on the grid waiting for the light to go out, I can almost smell the exhaust, my senses sharpen, I can picture the drivers, all of us squinting like gunfighters in the old west or looking at each other pre start like poker players…
Then BOOM dump the clutch and let’s go!
Jmo but this race makes it VERY clear who knows how to race and who does not. It’s just an epic combo.
It’s been a while since I’ve gotten into the world of A race, but it’s very cool.
It’s in some way the most pure this week…
No downforce, pure mechanical grip, great track…This is the “feeling” this clip right here…It’s not a childish frenetic pseudo arcade Hyper digital car, it’s a slow burn…This is race A.

This has been my experience for a while now with race A. I do wish some of the combos had a couple more laps at times. I solely race in cockpit view, racing that closely with drivers, you can trust in that perspective, is a wonderful experience. I have to be much more aware of what's around me in that view because I can't always seem them, but, I don't know, I feel like that view point has helped me be a cleaner diver in ways. While I have had some good fun in the last couple of Gr4 race C's that came up a couple weeks back (which I think is due to the cars not being super powerful as you mentioned). Race A is constantly great fun racing with great drives.

Last edited:
That turn at the top of the hill in Sector 3 of the Lago Maggiore West course is a riot... you can send it big time and if you keep it hooked up as you hit the sharp part of the crest, you can pull a ton of distance on the car in front of you, heading into that last hairpin. Such a fun place, really forgiving but rewarding at the same time. I always knew it would be fun in a car, but we seem to only race this track in karts, normally. It's proven to be fun in the M3, for sure. The FF effect always works pretty well when you get that unloaded feeling as you turn, which adds to the fun and immersion factors.
Yeah, that's the most fun section of the track Here's me out of control. I'm surprised I didn't crash. 😂

*Strategy Tip:
If you're on the last lap with a 0.5 shortcut penalty, and already past the penalty zone, you've got to beat the car behind you by at least 1 second. Penalty time is rounded up.....
.....so if you're not at least a second ahead of the next car, go ahead and get yourself another 0.5 shortcut penalty, if it helps you to increase your lead. Two 0.5 penalties count the same as one 0.5 penalty at the end.

I used this strategy yesterday, and it damn near worked. I only beat him to the line by .999. 😧

Last edited:
But there will always be a hybrid without a quali time that would always catch up to the top 5.
Been good to see you out there on track as well. Havent mentioned you earlier as I couldn't remember where I saw the PSN. Havent been fast enough to give you a race but you've been on a roll.👍

And the 2 guys I've been seeing come through from the back in hybrids are just lightning fast in anything. In the race I find things equal out with usually the hybrids struggling if they cant stay on my rear through the twisty bits

Did a Race A. No qualy.10/10. Had three A+ fast Aussies in the room, a "normal" Aussie that's not much of a neat driver(not deliberately bad, but makes some mistakes) and the rest from Japan.
Made sure to be easy from T1-5. Yep, the normal Aussie gets out of shape and the car ahead of him gets offed. I stay behind the three wide pack and the leaders check out.

Sneak by the Aussie and battle a clean player from Japan. Thought the race was over, but it's only Lap 2! Loving how there's time to catch up and set up passes and enjoy the car.
Anyway, the run from Liquid Moly underpass, the esses and the mini bowl left-hander hairpin, allows me to gap the cars behind for the final two laps. Finished 5/10.

Took the McLaren VGT for a spin in Race C. I think I was shifting too late and as a result I had to save a bit of fuel. Tyres shredded kinda quickly but they didn't feel too bad even at half a bar. Granted, I'm not really good enough to push the car to the max anyways.

The hybrids get really, really out of sync with the VGTs in the sharper corners and it's kind of weird. They have the luxury of just outbraking you then outaccelerating you, then you catch up to them near the start of the next corner, then it happens again. If they manage to break slipstream, though, they just pull off into the distance.

I can imagine what will happen.
Maybe run a few C to get your SR up?
I'll have to do that. My only hesitation is that I have no experience with the Gr.1 cars. Does anyone have a good "beginner" car I can learn/start with? I have credits to spare so I have no problem buying anything.

I'll have to do that. My only hesitation is that I have no experience with the Gr.1 cars. Does anyone have a good "beginner" car I can learn/start with? I have credits to spare so I have no problem buying anything.
The Mazda LM55 is a good starter. It's got AWD so less risk of spinning it out of slower corners. It was my go-to in the class when I was on a controller and wasn't as good with throttle control.

Yeah, that's the most fun section of the track Here's me out of control. I'm surprised I didn't crash. 😂

*Strategy Tip:
If you're on the last lap with a 0.5 shortcut penalty, and already past the penalty zone, you've got to beat the car behind you by at least 1 second. Penalty time is rounded up.....
.....so if you're not at least a second ahead of the next car, go ahead and get yourself another 0.5 shortcut penalty, if it helps you to increase your lead. Two 0.5 penalties count the same as one 0.5 penalty at the end.

I used this strategy yesterday, and it damn near worked. I only beat him to the line by .999. 😧

I never figured out the penalty pattern at the end of the race. Sometimes it doubled and sometimes it did not. Had never considered that it was a "round up to the nearest second".

Well I’m going back out there again. I saw my erm friend from yesterday, and he was back at it again…He seemed upset…I guess he didn’t know I carry a secret weapon.

I was going to offer him a Snickers but I’m fresh out…Since he missed punts 3 times in a row on the same corner and dropped sr I think he must be hungry or something…Chin up buddy!

The hybrids get really, really out of sync with the VGTs in the sharper corners and it's kind of weird. They have the luxury of just outbraking you then outaccelerating you, then you catch up to them near the start of the next corner, then it happens again. If they manage to break slipstream, though, they just pull off into the distance.
I've seen the quick guys do 52's in the race with and without hybrid power so there's plenty of cars to choose.

I haven't used a hybrid yet but I've found the race comes back to me around lap 4, when people are struggling to regen their hybrid batteries.

I'm working to get some good results with McLaren on this daily weekend C. It's fun to drive but at least for me, brake bias at the front to prevent understeer. I saw someone here mentioning saving fuel. I did two races and I didnt save fuel at all. It was on the limit.

This track is a little tough to learn. Gonna try a non hybrid too.
It was me talking about saving fuel. Do you run it to the rev limiter in 5th gear? It helps with the dead spot in 6th gear but uses a chunk of extra fuel. I short shift when the hybrid power is working the first couple of laps and then it's all good.

Back