"Daily" Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Tea_Leaves

Tea_Leaves

Yep, I'm tired of Maggiore. Feels like it appears every week. N100 at Maggiore Centre hasn't showed since Sept at least.

It might not be the Fiat for once. Whenever it was used before, tyres were SM. We all know how PD like to copy pasta combos. This time it's SH. It could be a car never used before if recent trend is to go by like this week with the 4C. Toyota 800 will be my guess.

PD logic is difficult to understand. I remember this conversation about BH last time and even for a sprint race, it's super short. We're looking at slightly over 6 minutes of racing. That isn't a race, it's a warmup.

Despite those negatives, it's an above average week overall until I remembered no collision/contact penalties. :censored:.

dlshearon, larrybr07n, Pigems and 2 others like this.
  2. Redneckchef

Redneckchef

Brands Hatch with no penalties. What could possibly go wrong?:lol::lol::lol::lol:

GT5Power, dlshearon, barak181 and 4 others like this.
  3. sturk0167

sturk0167

Yeah, no walls to save you. It'll be like Willow. When you get punted, you stay punted. You're probably not gonna catch back up to him. :lol:

4. 05XR8

05XR8

Best bet is to hug that inside line from T1 to T... ALL THE TURNS!!!!

5. Redneckchef

Redneckchef

Nothing can save you now! Remember, it isn't just divebombing that gets off free, full punting is currently still ok according to PD. :(

dlshearon and Pigems like this.
  6. 05XR8

05XR8

For sure. It can lessen the pain if you're at least inside a turn. slower speed and at least you'll be on the brakes. SOmeone will nearly have to be on the inside grass to slam you from way back. We'll see tonight. :nervous:

Edit: I'm opening a Nations FP1 lobby in 40 miniutes. Just an hour of practice(10:43-11:39) like last year's GT4 BH eventhttps://european.gt4series.com/gb_en/results/6/2019 . I'll open FP2 13:55-14:53.

Redneckchef and Pigems like this.
  7. The_Tullster

The_Tullster

The system sorts by SR points first, 90-99, then 80-89 etc.
    Lobbies are filled from each SR group sorted into lobbies by DR then onto the grid by Q times. When it's quiet, a half full lobby will be topped up with drivers from the next lower SR group.
    So when it's really quiet in your region, you may get a spread of SR (not very likely with the current lack of penalty system) and you'll certainly get a spread of DR. At these times it's not unusual to see Q times vary by large amounts between first and last place.
    When it's busy and there's lots of drivers available in each SR/DR bracket, you'll get full lobbies usually all with same DR and tending to be within three or four seconds Q time across the grid.
    Because there are fewer drivers in the DR A/A+ brackets than in the B/C/D, it's more common to find lobbies with B or ever C drivers thrown in to A/A+ races to fill the grid. At B/C grids usually fill mostly with only one or two DR brackets unless it's really quiet.

8. QC YALUM

QC YALUM

2 week ago at Fuji whit Gr2 i was getting a 10 sec penalty for being missiled and send on a other planet by a lower DR driver while he had a 2 sec penalty . And you guys want this penalty system back ? It was the worst penalty system i ever saw also got totally wreck on the straight line and again 10 sec and the guy who wreck me nothing lolll . I did my 460th win at suzuka this week and the only problem i can see is that some dirty drivers have been able to be SR S but now i don't get stupid penalty 4 no reasons

9. 250Cal

250Cal

Had time for a C earlier so took the trusty Merc out for a run. Made the classic error of assuming quali grip in the race so understeered off at T1. Then ran pretty consistent no-stop pace and worked my way into the Top 10. It appears the 911 is a very popular, and quick, choice, vying with the R8s up front. I was about 0.5 sec a lap off the pace in the big AMG. Didn't see many penalty issues but saved the replay to see what people were getting away with/getting punished for.

Spa in the wet should be carnage. The Ford GT was the wet weather weapon last time. R8/Huracan was the choice for a dry Spa. It will be interesting to see what's most effective.

10. TJC_69

TJC_69

Had a test run of Spa wet C earlier and thoroughly enjoyed the challenge in the wet. Gonna see where I can qualify for it and stick to just that race this coming week to see what the racing is like.

My hope is that most people hate the rain physics and don't attempt it. Judging by the amount of people joining my lobby earlier and then leaving as soon as they tried it, i'd say it's a safe bet to get some clean racing in during the week.

Additionally, I love how the rain feels on the G29. You receive lots of input to where the grip limit is in the wet. I feel bad for pad users in the wet. Being an ex pad user myself until semi recently.

What's your thoughts on how Spa will pan out? Good or bad?

RacingGrandpa, FeD_989 and EinsTheOne like this.
  11. sturk0167

sturk0167

I tried something new at race B yesterday. When approaching heavy braking turns, with another car close behind, instead of making the decision to either to go high or low, I stayed right in the middle. I rarely got passed when I did that.

I think the car behind either isn't sure what to do, or doesn't have enough room to go above or below you.
    I think for the most part, it confuses them. :lol:

Give it a try. :tup:

12. Johnnyboy532

Johnnyboy532

Well I finally jumped into three races tonight (race C). I took the AMG out for a run tonight. The first one was strange match making. Took pole with a 2:02.4, then proceeded to build a 12 second lead. Of course I spun out in the esses lol. P2 caught me but I put a big gap back on the pack. Biggest margin of victory!

Race 2, first turn P3 slowed down super early and I tapped him wide. Ran P3 for most of the race 2-3 seconds behind P2 and P1. Then dumped it on T1. Not sure what happened maybe lack of grip, not changing braking points after grip started to drop. It was only my second race this week. Finished P6.

Race 3, I started 5th and worked my way up to P3. P1 and P2 were creeping away from me. After lap 4, so I settled in.

I did improve my qualifying time to 2:01.414. Optimal is 2:01.0xx so I know I can do better.
    This is from race 1. Overall time wasn't impressive I know. I spun out and started to cruise. The Match making put me in a all D/S lobby... Not sure why but I'll take it. IMG_20200117_192602375.jpg

Invisigoth likes this.
  13. EinsTheOne

EinsTheOne

I don't think anyone actually wants the penalty system from 2 weeks ago.. I think we'd all prefer the one that came before that (the one from the SPA update)...

But the thing is, PD has gone to extreme end of the spectrum on the last 2 iterations of the penalty system...
    No-one wants an extremely sensitive penalty system or an extremely forgiving penalty system....

For me, the penalty system and the matchmaking system are the 2 big pillars that make GT Sport a far superior racing sim then anything else available on console...

So if one of the pillars (the penalty system) is essentially not doing one of it's main jobs (keeping races clean), than that takes away quite a lot of what GT Sport has to offer, almost bringing it on par with the rest of racing sims...

So if we have 2 horrible penalty systems that no-one wants, I'd rather have the one that at least punishes dirty racing (even if it's often unfairly) than the one that turns the game into a GTA race...

In the races I did 2 weeks ago, everyone tried their very best to not touch anyone because they knew how tragic things could turn if they got penalized....
    This week, I haven't been in a race where someone hasn't been blatantly punted off by someone who's clearly aware that they wouldn't be punished...

But that's just me...
    Hopefully all that made sense..

14. 05XR8

05XR8

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One of those Huracans tried to knock me off. Video at 11.

Redneckchef and Invisigoth like this.
  15. Redneckchef

Redneckchef

I was killing time between glitching in @Pigems lobby and starting my own. Did a race B and found a person I needed to collect penalty payment from. After obliterating them I got a slow drive out towards the COD. And we tried to go 5 wide! I should have saved replay or something. 2 on outside ended up backing out, 1 inside me bounced off the inside wall sending me into other person on outside which wiped them out on the middle part. Somehow I made it through.

As we are heading to the chicane and I can see them swarming around me I was thinking there was absolutely no way they would be stupid enough to go 3 wide, and they went for 5:eek::confused:

dlshearon likes this.
  16. barak181

barak181

300+ races and I'm still chasing my first win. Every time I come close, something like this happens. :banghead:

17. EinsTheOne

EinsTheOne

GT Sport does a stellar job of giving the player feedback through the controller's vibration function (other racing sims are very hard to enjoy on the controller after trying GT Sport)...

But that high standard isn't translated to wet conditions... I cannot feel the grip limits as well as I can when it's dry...

Please tell me that guy did not survive the last corner..
    I'm one to always drive cleanly and safely, but that specific situation called for the punt of the century

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020 at 4:56 AM
    TJC_69, afc5150 and Redneckchef like this.
  18. Invisigoth

Invisigoth

You don't need feedback when you use the Force :D!

05XR8 and Redneckchef like this.
  19. meekrab

meekrab

Great race just now in A(+)/S at Suzuka, lots of respectful driving despite the lack of penalty system this week. Cheers guys :cheers:

I think I may even go back for another 10 laps.

TJC_69, GT5Power and Redneckchef like this.
  20. barak181

barak181

I'm sorry, I couldn't bring myself to punt him back.

TJC_69, Invisigoth, meekrab and 2 others like this.
  21. Redneckchef

Redneckchef

It is so sad that it was probably the right move in terms of justice to punt him but that the reality of trying to race clean and be the better person ends up seeing you lose out. Sucks you didn't get the win but good to see you take the high road.:tup:
    I have failed to do that this week as I get increasingly more frustrated with the chaos.

afc5150 and barak181 like this.
  22. meekrab

meekrab

Revenge is the way of the Sith, good for you.

TJC_69 likes this.
  23. 05XR8

05XR8

That's why it's best to be an "avenger". ;)

Edit: Here's the last one. Huracan tries to bump me off. The player gave room at the final turn before and then, can't be fair when I get the run again.

Edit2: Got the C7 from DWG. It didn't like trailbraking for some reason. Car would feel like the fronts are locking(I don't adjust BB) Even to shave a bit of speed after lifting off.
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, first race at Suzuka. Went with what I felt was the pace of the car. Atenza is quick in the corners. C7 had the grunt and top end. Pitted on lap 4 to see if I could do any better. I'll use the Supra this time and maybe my Big Lex.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020 at 7:53 AM
    Invisigoth and Redneckchef like this.
  24. TJC_69

TJC_69

I agree on that point. To give you a comparison for the wheel in the wet, the wheel goes lighter and reacts just before the moment of understeer. It's hard to explain all the sensations as i'm still learning them. They are very informative however.

25. Redneckchef

Redneckchef

Good lord this new penalty smash and bash system is making people paranoid. I was involved in a race A just now with someone I have raced cleanly in the past. I tried a move inside and he cut me off. There was a bit of contact, but nobody crashed. I backed off to let him keep the spot. But he just snapped, blocking me, pushing me wide when I try to pass and punting me once I get by. All civility is out the window now. It is getting more sad by the day. Had 3 dirty races and 2 clean so.not all bad though. If you can clear the pack it seems to eat itself and give you space.

26. 250Cal

250Cal

So cheating worked for them and they'll do it again. At times like that, you have to punt. For the good of yourself and the community at large, you must punt. You might not win, but you cannot allow them to.

djidane57 likes this.
  27. RacingGrandpa

RacingGrandpa

Also delete temporary files, and reset the controller.

28. 05XR8

05XR8

I must get a wheel. Ran as high as 4th and my fingers were getting numb. Just slid down the order.
    [​IMG]

29. 250Cal

250Cal

Something about Suzuka? I had numbthumb for the last two laps, too. Don't normally suffer.