"Daily" Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, May 3, 2021.

1. ii_Biggles_ii

ii_Biggles_ii

You played "Fair" not too many will do that lately but rather just run you off the track to keep you behind.

Little_Guppy and Timm Sheehan like this.
  2. Timm Sheehan

Timm Sheehan

Yes, I won the Panasonic turn (without touching) and got a good start down the final straight but by pit entrance I could see they were faster and there was not a "polite" way to hold them off. The Hyundai is awesome but the BMW (even with BoP settings) has amazing acceleration and top speed down a straight.

Thanks to all who responded for helping this old dawg learn a few new things.

On a side note: I finally learned that online lobbies provide a better practice environment than offline AI races, especially when everyone is racing fairly.

3. Groundfish

Groundfish

I love it. Textbook.
    I haven’t raced and may not this week, but I did beat another Hamilton tt. Willow. Diamond. TCS3 BB0, shared her up!
    I may try a few laps in the Porsche at Tsukuba. I figure dirty players shouldn’t hold out anymore in S sr at that combo...

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  4. OJBrit

OJBrit

Sounds like a great move. In that instance your best defence is the stability of the Hyundai. By being able to get on the power earlier you can hopefully gain a few tenths over the BMW.

Little_Guppy and Timm Sheehan like this.
  5. GOTMAXPOWER

GOTMAXPOWER

Willow was the hardest by a decent margin imo. The rest should be easy in comparison.

6. Rexracer702

Rexracer702

My thoughts exactly. I would make a move to the inside to break the draft, and if there's time, move back to the racing line. I do that at RBR almost every lap that has someone within a second of me. If they're closer, I stay inside and force the pass on the outside, even if it means running up against the wall. Too many people get inside and run you off on the corner if you try an outside line.

7. Groundfish

Groundfish

I’ve got Interlagos and Maggiore I think too.
    They are all a nice fair challenge. I only did it because I’m a #tcsgoofball #nevergiveup

Little_Guppy and OJBrit like this.
  8. NAXEHT

NAXEHT

To hell with the people responsible for the RACC chicane at Catalunya. Honestly, what an abomination.

9. DefInfinity

DefInfinity

Last night was wild. A bunch of streamers started showing up in the middle of the evening and it led to some of the most intense racing I've ever had.

I tried all sorts of bizarre moves prior, but nothing I could do would take away their raw pace. So I defended. Defended as hard as I could.

After I got into the pits, I couldn't keep up anymore. They were easily a second or more faster per lap.

My adrenaline was running much higher than normal, but that's the sign of a damn good race.

10. sturk0167

sturk0167 Premium

Depends who you are, I guess. Big Willow was definitely the easiest one for me.
    There are 3 that I still cannot get gold on, that you probably got on your first try. :lol:

I'm not saying those 3 (both Nurbs + Suzuka) are impossible for me, but they would probably require me spending a couple hours on each one.
    I'd rather spend that time doing something fun.

11. fisheye

fisheye

Big Willow is a blast, it reminds me of my old back yard... Nurburger is fun once you memorize every turn.

12. Redneckchef

Redneckchef Premium

I'm with you on this one. Dont have any Diamonds, but got all golds. Willow took a little while, but was fairly easy once I figured out the slightly different line for the last turn. My last 3 took a hell of a long time, and other people seemed to find them fairly easy compared to Willow. I think it depends on your driving style.

And how much you enjoy Big Willow

Groundfish and sturk0167 like this.
  13. BigSarj

BigSarj

Race C is way more fun than I thought. Too bad I can't get a grip on the GTR. I've finished last in both races I've done so far, even though I qualified 4th in one of them.

I'm using BB 0 on the GTR. Would -1 make things easier?

Another thing is the ridiculously early brakers. I got two penalties in each race due to people pretty much brake checking me wayyyyy before even the double pylons.

ILLEAGLE_34, DefInfinity and OJBrit like this.
  14. sturk0167

sturk0167 Premium

At the last Big Willow race, I finished the week with both accounts in the top 10. :D
    For whatever reason, I never had the problems there, that other people have.

15. Little_Guppy

Little_Guppy

I had a go a the C race last night. It feels like there is a Monday night tradition where many of the big guns come out to play.

Started P7 but realized right away that it was a fast group. Went with the mediums so that I would not embarrass myself in the first stint. Faded a bit in the second stint.

Groundfish, DefInfinity and barak181 like this.
  16. RacingGrandpa

RacingGrandpa

I run it at +2. And then I trailbrake, so I get a tighter turn and a better exit.

I tried the NSX, it was beautiful in FT but he'll in race.

Groundfish and sturk0167 like this.
  17. Tidgney

Tidgney Premium

Hahaha, honestly some of the innuendos that come out from these videos have me in stitches, especially when I don't notice them. :lol:

OJBrit, cactus0, Groundfish and 3 others like this.
  18. NoStopN

NoStopN

I need more Big Willow dailies in my life.

OJBrit, baygencos, Groundfish and 3 others like this.
  19. williams_v_r

williams_v_r

Lancer is a great option for race B
    My QT is 1:44.2XX (American account)

Edit: EMEA account. Almost same time with 458

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    OJBrit and sturk0167 like this.
  20. BigSarj

BigSarj

I tried +2 but it was way too squirrely for this track. I may just stick to 0 but I need to get better at driving with worn tires.

williams_v_r likes this.
  21. D_Dragline

D_Dragline

I find +2 best for tyre wear/handling balance. You need to trailbrake and be really careful about getting on the throttle too early. BB0 results in too much wear to the fronts making the last few laps VERY slow.

RacingGrandpa likes this.
  22. BigSarj

BigSarj

Ok, noted. I will try this next race. I've been straight hemorrhaging DR all day so I may as well try something new.

Edit - honestly, I think I just suck. I lost two weeks worth of DR tonight just from five tries at Race C. If it isn't dying over and over, it's the morons who brake 20 metres too early. I don't think I can do this race again unless I can shave a full second off my quali time.

I'll try the RC-F tomorrow.

23. Groundfish

Groundfish

These dailies...
    I dunno, can’t get motivated. Catalunya sprint??? I happen to think Catalunya is the cats meow, but fear it in a daily sprint.
    Tsu-couldyabumpby-kuba is where I may go.
    Fuji is actually ok in only these cars for a lap or two but not to race imo. I’ve done it a fair bit repairing sr and it was never fun. You are just dodging everything there waiting for the slides of non tcs users and to top it off, a streamer happened to show up on my you tube whose generally cool, so I turn it on...
    Sure enough last sector last tight left turn he rear ends the guy in front of him and it’s instantly the whole not my fault he broke early!
    Bro, you are closely following a car into a braking area before a tight turn.
    That’s on you when you smash him almost off the track by being eager beaver. You had no overtake and were following!
    This is my thing...
    I’d be curious what others think...
    To ME, if you are behind a car approaching a braking zone without intention to overtake there’s no excuse for you if you hit them, NONE.
    As that’s happening you have no need to be full throttle, you’re in his slipstream, he’s in control, you are subject to whatever he does!
    Imo
    To me it’s the streamertryhard cop out-“that guy broke too early!”
    Why?
    Because he didn’t brake at the latest possible meter to not fly off the track?
    I’m sorry it’s total bs.
    You chose to start last. I dunno it’s so weak imo to hit people on a stream and blame them.
    You would not have hit them if they were named Fraga because you would be mindful.
    It’s bs!
    I dunno to me any car that hits the car in front of them inside where the game puts two cones should be heavily penalized.
    That’s called punting.
    I’m gonna start cataloging a list of excuses bad streamers make when they hit others to try to hide their mistakes!
    There’s plenty of streams around where the world tour guy gives the spot back and admits a mistake.
    It’s better than knowing you screwed over a competitor and lying and trying to blame them.
    Unsubbed!
    I’m watching these streamers with my dog like... 80E80EA2-E95F-42A2-857F-FBF2E5640BFA.jpeg

24. D_Dragline

D_Dragline

The RC-F is waaaay more stable than the GT-R at Fuji. I get frustrated by its lack of outright pace but it is much easier to tame over a 13 lap race.

I absolutely agree with this. If you are trailing into the braking zone, drop off a bit and be prepared for early braking. His tyres might be going off, she might use slightly different entry and exit lines, they might just lack confidence, but it is not their responsibility to avoid contact from behind in a braking zone. You don't need to be right on a bumper to overtake at this track. If you're that much faster you'll have ample opportunity.

Fuji is particularly bad for this. Turn 1, and every turn in the final sector are all prime zones for different braking points.

25. BigSarj

BigSarj

Idk man I am going to watch the replays but I was aghast at just how early these people were braking. Ever since I was a D driver, I've been very careful to not rear end people and have been largely successful. I smoke a lot when I race so there have been some mistakes from time to time due to short term memory loss but I was sober today and trying so hard and I was dealing with incredibly early brakers. Something tells me that when I watch the replay, I will see them on the throttle to reach the apex.

baygencos and Groundfish like this.
  26. Groundfish

Groundfish

Ok like this might be the sauce talking but like if they brake so badly so much early, suck so bad, why you behind them?

27. BigSarj

BigSarj

I lost 4000 DR today so nothing can kill my confidence further.

These early brakers were in the first three races today but I had no issues in the last two races. I've been trying my best to qualify further ahead but to no avail. If I could manage my tire wear better, I wouldn't be spinning out in the latter parts of the race.

I'm never behind them for long. I get a penalty, I pass them, then see them disappear into the rearview. But inevitably, I spin out, and once I spin out once, I will likely spin again.

My second to last race was going well until someone bumped me off the track and I couldn't recover. After that, I gave up and got so frustrated that I started doing doughnuts until last place passed me.

A similar thing happened in the last race except I spun myself out. Again and again. It was like my subconscious was doing it.

I had no issues in the Gr2 races at LMGP2 the other week. I had a ton of success there. Went from C to halfway to A. But I am loving the combo so I will continue to do this race until I get to DR D if I have to.

OJBrit and Groundfish like this.
  28. Groundfish

Groundfish

This track sucks for online racing unless you are around really good players.
    It was designed by a fool named Tilke.
    I feel your pain you can expect to get punted every time you race online because it’s awful
    Sorry, man

BigSarj likes this.
  29. D_Dragline

D_Dragline

How early is "early" in these scenarios? For turn 1 I brake just before I reach the first sign on the stand on the left, but if I'm following someone in, I'm prepared for them to brake before the 150m board. I also pull slightly inside their line in case they brake earlier and an overtake becomes an option. I brake later than a lot of drivers into the sector 2 hairpin (about 75m) but always expect to brake earlier (100m) if following. I sometimes get "tapped" into the chicane because I am fully focused on hitting the astroturf on the first apex and this means I brake a little earlier than some "more aggressive" turners. Different styles and circumstances produce different brake points.

30. BigSarj

BigSarj

Yeah, I was close today. In one race, I held P2 for 11 laps until I got divebombed on the chicane. The guy didn't get a penalty but I took a page from your book and wished him well.

What boggles my mind is that certain people weren't driving like they qualified higher than me. They looked like amateur hour, and that's ME saying that.

Sometimes I think that boosting is a thing, i.e. people letting a better driver log into their account to put up a better quali time. Or maybe I'm smoking too much.

But there has been some great, fun racing in those early laps. I just have to get the eye of the tiger and really go fast and consistent.

I can't remember the exact braking points but I tend to employ a lot of the technique you mention. I'm gonna have to continue to work hard at it. I can say one thing, I learned a lot from my failures today. But I still swear that my luck had me behind early brakers and this wasn't even in early laps when there is a train in front of me.

Edit - I just watched the first replay and the first incident had a guy brake about 15 metres before the double pylon brake marker at turn one (which is already pretty damn early of you ask me).

Edit 2 - the double pylons are placed about 5 to 10 metres before the start of the curb on the left. From the replay, it looked like he was straight up brake checking me. I'll just take the inside from now on.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2021
    Groundfish likes this.