"Daily" Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Oct 7, 2019.

1. MortosDer

MortosDer

So I had thekie25 racing from the back in Fuji today. Only reason I won is because he started second to last and went for a no stopper lol.
    I'm having trouble with fuel with Toyota. I end up saving way too much ending the race with +1 laps or fuel to spare hahaha

Pigems, 6BK, Mistah_MCA and 2 others like this.
  2. 05XR8

05XR8

Race(ing) Room

My first race was in the Ford GT. Had some back and forth with that GT-R below. He/she quickly found out I race fair, clean and don't block. Things got tight all race and the GT-R gave room and was patient. I finished a couple spaces ahead in 6th.

The second race below(with video) was awesome. I was fortunate to have a few courteous players. Check the finish time. Also, the video shows me ahead, but the places swapped after we crossed the line. Maybe finish was awarded alphabetically?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. 250Cal

250Cal

In all testing, qualifying and the race the Nissan was the slowest LMP1 by a huge margin. If by "mechanical issues" you mean a fundamentally flawed design with half baked execution, then yes.

The car only ever raced at Le Mans and only once. Two of the cars retired, one crossed the line. The one that did cross the line not classified as it had sat in the pits so long it didn't complete the required distance to be classified.

Why should GT rewrite history by making the car compete with the Audis, Porsche, Toyotas etc.

The_Tullster, MIE1992, Qyn and 2 others like this.
  4. Invisigoth

Invisigoth

First run on the Vampire Circuit last night (see if the Canadians can figure that one out :p). Put in a fairly ordinary qualy with the M3 and found myself starting P8/15 on a mixed grid of DR/C and D. I put the midfield start down to Monday. The same time tonight will probably be somewhere in the last 4 positions.

Race wasn't too bad, has it's up and downs ... the ups being the first couple of laps and the downs being the last lap :crazy:. I started P8, and worked my way up to P4. On the last lap I had managed a 2s gap, nailed the corner coming off the bridge. P4 was *mine*! No it wasn't :banghead:. Yeh, ya know the next corner.. the one that leads on to the fastest section of the track, one of the most crucial corners of the race? I put my foot down just that little bit too early, hit the Armco, slewed across to the other side of the track and continued on, having bled many seconds of time trying to get going again. I wanted to cry. As i slowly came back up to racing speed I was passed by 3 cars. The 3rd I was right behind. He had picked up a penalty, so I finished ahead of him. P6 with no penalties at least.

SR blue, DR went up about 270. Another day above DR 1 :odd:.

Qyn, sturk0167, Dairyworker and 4 others like this.
  5. breeminator

breeminator

As usual (*), I didn't quite manage to match you, but was pleased to scrape below 2:11

sardegna_a_toyota86_2_10_984.png

( (*) I did actually manage to beat you in the final standings for the Suzuka S2000 one a couple of weeks ago )

6. Invisigoth

Invisigoth

GT Academy. They wanna give their boy a fighting chance so that he "doesn't look bad" ;).

Qyn, larrybr07n, 6BK and 2 others like this.
  7. 250Cal

250Cal

All of them.

Qyn, larrybr07n and Pigems like this.
  8. Mistah_MCA

Mistah_MCA

I completed two C races today. One was a 1-stop on Softs, and the other was a no-stop on Mediums.

After thorough experimenting in the name of science, I have concluded that if you do the no stop on mediums:
    -your name starts with Turismo, TRL, CAR, LZR, etc. (your race pace is crazy)

OR

- you are a blithering idiot.

Tires die out at the end, and those who pit on softs are easily on you.

QC YALUM, Chevy Heavy, Qyn and 11 others like this.
  9. 05XR8

05XR8

I love Fuji, but this race was wack.
    [​IMG]

I ran on Softs all race. However, a player with so many Ss in its name, driving a pink & white 919, just smashed me off and a Peugeot I was racing. It smashed me off at T1 and then smashed the Peugeot off after the 130R.

I was comfortably in the top 10 and it just ruined my tyres with that punt. Had to change my strategy from one stop to two. Sucka Emcee, booooy. I tell you!

10. 6BK

6BK

Great idea!

I didn't have much time last night so only got a few laps on Croix trying to learn it. Started with Lancer and Beetle just because they are stable, moved to Vantage because I love it, tried Renault (which was slow but absolutely great fun on that track), tried McLaren 650 (meh), NSX (great if you are going for drift points) and finished with GT-R (because). It was an interesting night, going from not knowing the track at all and doing a 2:28 lap only to keep knocking seconds off until I moved to a new car. Finished the evening on a 2:11:1(?) with plenty still to learn. I'm looking forward to racing this track, the flow of it is just great. Even if racing turns out to be super poop I just may set up a start at the back custom endurance race in the Renault just for the fun of it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Qyn, sturk0167, larrybr07n and 2 others like this.
  11. Doglove

Doglove

St.-Croix B is a pleasure to drive!

12. 05XR8

05XR8

Fantastic Beast. Yes... Fantastic Beast.
    [​IMG]

I said handling can beat speed at this track. That GT-R and Vantage were holding me up everywhere. The lead Atenza was able to dispatch them both, but I had to use more patience. Moved up one place by passing the Vantage. Atenza can really close the gap or extend it, at the Bidet right-hander, after the bridge.
    [​IMG]

Qyn, larrybr07n, Dairyworker and 2 others like this.
  13. Invisigoth

Invisigoth

Yeh, that's the corner that cost me P4 last night. The M3 does a fairly reasonable job but that corner needs patience. Other cars in GT lounge I've been able to take it 2 gears higher than recommended, but I had to drop to 3rd :odd:.

Edit: I figured that if I tried hard I could get another second out of the M3 qualifying. First lap out with the Supra I beat the M3 time by nearly 1.5s :crazy:. A few laps later experimenting, but still not getting the full capability I dropped that by another second :eek:. Cornering with the same patience needed with the M3 in 3rd I can take that corner in 4th :tup:.

NBN came today, so we'll see if there's any connection issues later tonight when I race :scared:.

14. GT5Power

GT5Power

There's your problem. You were using a Gr.4 in a Gr.3 race. :p

Qyn, larrybr07n, Pigems and 1 other person like this.
  15. Tea_Leaves

Tea_Leaves

First race at St. Croix in a long time. So refreshing. I can imagine new people saying: "Hey, nobody told me about this new track!" and "Wait, this was in the game?"

Hard to believe it was only used once before. I hope to see it more often since there's several layouts. In before another 14 months until it appears again.

Mc_Yavel, Granadier, Qyn and 4 others like this.
  16. 6BK

6BK

& @05XR8 You 2 talking about coming over the bridge, tight left and then the right hander with the blue and white padding on the left going down the hill? I'll test the Atenza later. I can do it in 4th with most cars tested but found 3rd was more consistent and offered a lot more control. In 4th I was likely to drift wide and if I had to accommodate going too far out I ended up with less acceleration on exit. While I have not raced I felt on testing that 3rd was a better gear to defend in (slow in - fast out). OK, I still need loads of practice on this circuit but think in a race I'd personally opt for the reassurance of 3rd than the risk of 4th.

Qyn and Pigems like this.
  17. Famine

Famine Administrator

You guys are missing a pretty major fact: the car in GT Sport actually does have magic powers that didn't exist in reality.

When it actually raced, the GT-R LM NISMO had no hybrid system. That's pretty much because the original hybrid system as designed by a third-party was reportedly snake oil (it still doesn't exist) and the backup system Nissan planned to replace it broke everything every time it ran it, so Nissan disabled the system altogether and ran as a pure ICE car - but without the power available to either the LMP1-H or LMP1 cars it was obviously slower.

The original "Flybrid" system from Torotrak recovered power from the front wheels and stored it in flywheels. About a quarter of the total electrical power - 750hp, so around 185hp - went to the front wheels. The rest went to the rear wheels via a pretty mad portal axle layout. That essentially gave the car nearly 800hp at the front and 550hp at the back, out of corners.

When it became apparent that this system would never materialise, Nissan postponed the car's race debut and reclassed it from 8MJ to 2MJ, replacing the 4WD hybrid system with a battery FWD hybrid. That system destroyed every gearbox Nissan showed it to - although the GT-R LM NISMO's gearbox was a bit complicated so, no huge shock. When it came to Le Mans, Nissan ran the car without it.

The car in GT Sport has a functional hybrid system, which the real car never raced with. I think we agreed last time this came up was the 2MJ version, which the car did at one point actually use in testing but never made it to a race, not the 8MJ version which also would have driven the rear wheels if it ever actually existed.

Notably, the GT-R LM NISMO was actually as fast in the speed traps as the top LMP1-H 8MJ cars, because far from being a "half-baked" design, the principle (based on those huge air tunnels either side of the cockpit, only possible because the car was front-engined) actually worked. It's just the car never had the power of the others because of a hybrid system Nissan was sold that didn't exist and a much weaker, rapidly cobbled-together replacement that destroyed gearboxes, and it lost seconds in every corner exit while it fought up to speed.

Granadier, MIE1992, Qyn and 9 others like this.
  18. 6BK

6BK

I have absolutely no idea if any of that is remotely true but it makes for great reading.:D:gtpflag:

Move along now!

Qyn, RacingGrandpa and Pigems like this.
  19. Invisigoth

Invisigoth

I couldn't decide if I wanted to use the M3 or the M6, so I took the middle ground ;). I was editing the post when you quoted me :yuck:.

Yeh. I clipped the blue and white on the final lap. Not recommended :tdown:. I think it all depends on the car and how much punch out of the corner you can get out of a lower gear as opposed to carrying speed with the higher gear. It's a race B so fuel conservation is less of an issue.

The_Tullster, Qyn, Redsea666 and 3 others like this.
  20. 6BK

6BK

True, thought I stress that I have not raced it yet the issue I imagined was that to hold 4th you've got to ease off the gas a little and feather it around the bend because flat out in 4th puts you in the wall. Every race I've ever been in if I try to ease off and take the corner with any sort of realistic "feathering" the idiot behind is bumping me off the course for going too slow. My race style has thus developed to be a "fast-in-slow-out" --- race up to the bend, slam on the anchors and get in their way on the other side (unfortunately) in order to defend against dive bombing and shunts.

Qyn, Redsea666 and Pigems like this.
  21. Illum_Concept

Illum_Concept

After the shambles I was at St Croix practicing in a lobby at the weekend (sorry to everyone I held up / clattered into), I've somehow managed to achieve a qualy time in the high 2:08s. Optimal is half a second quicker, but that bump on the right hander coming onto the bridge is killing me!

It does mean I've spent plenty of time admiring the beautiful chateau on the edge of the lake, as my car pirouettes gracelessly up the road. I think I would like to live there. Its all real, right? PD wouldn't lie to us would they?

22. Lilium

Lilium

Gr 1 hybrids sucks out the fun of racing, since with softs and the hybrid system, any time out of ideal line can be quickly mitigated by the hybrid boost.

I think I'll go for race B this week

Qyn, Redsea666 and Pigems like this.
  23. Famine

Famine Administrator

Well, aside from the fact it's electrical rather than magical (and simulated electrical at that), all of it.

Aside from it being my job, at my old job (which was the same job at a different company) I used to share a house with someone who was in charge of Nissan's PR, post-Cox, around the time of the car's cancellation.

24. viper al

viper al Premium

I've done lobby races with friends at Sainte-Croix-b ,but never focused too much on braking points,apexes etc.Different story now.Once I figure out the entry and exit of the Confounded Bridge I should be in the 208's(I'm at 209.118 with the Peugeot VGT)

25. 250Cal

250Cal

https://www.racecar-engineering.com/cars/nissan-gt-r-lm-nismo/

Qyn and Pigems like this.
  26. Invisigoth

Invisigoth

That's pretty much it. I'm the opposite to you, slow in fast out is my preference.

Sadly my race on the Vampire was a disaster. I qualified more than 2s faster than yesterday, but started in P12 instead of P8. There were more DR/Cs and some B's in this race, which didn't help.

I started off ok, till we got to the corner after the bridge. Get to my braking point, brake and changed down to 2nd, the engine revved it's nuts off, the brakes were non-existent and the steering might as well have been welded in the strait ahead position. I slammed face first into the Armco at the maximum speed I could muster from the start of the bridge to the end of the bridge. 5s penalty for coming to a complete stop. It did it again at another corner. The brakes completely failed and one of the indicators, no idea what symbol it was or what it meant was flashing away in the process. ABS? TCS? no idea but it was like the throttle was stuck open... I think I finished last or second last by 17s...was 25s at one stage.

<sigh> No SR drop but DR took a 900pt hit :banghead:. Think I'll give the Supra another go tomorrow, the faults just weren't fair to it. Another day yada yada .....

27. GT5Power

GT5Power

I would argue that this makes the race more interesting, because if you had to follow one racing line all the time, you'd be caught in the dirty air of the car in front. It's better to be able to take a slightly different line while losing less time than usual thanks to the boost. :)

I finally got internet of my own at my new house today, so I celebrated it with a lights-to-flag W in race C :D Surprisingly for this time of day, 62002 DR was only enough for door number #3 :odd: The guy who started 2nd got caught out by my dirty air and messed up his line into turn 2, getting a penalty in the process, then lost control on the T4 exit and span out. After that, it was a matter of putting in fast, consistent laps and building up a gap to P2, which became 7s at the finish. I ran a 24.2 on lap 9 to take the fastest lap. Unfortunately I didn't get a CRB, because I scraped the wall while entering the pitlane :O

ASH32, Qyn, Redsea666 and 2 others like this.
  28. Famine

Famine Administrator

Yep, says the same thing but in less detail - for example, no mention of the intermediate state where the car had a 2MJ battery hybrid FWD system until that destroyed the gearboxes.

Also reinforces the fact that the real car had no hybrid system when it raced, and the GT Sport car does - which is an in-game improvement over the real thing, like what I said.

Qyn, Redsea666, Pigems and 1 other person like this.
  29. 250Cal

250Cal

It also says the car had a poor suspension system, poor integration of the hybrid system (with a redesign required to adhere to the ACO's rules) and various other fundamental issues (as well as the ACO being their usual pissy selves with rules such as wing mirror positions). A radical design is one thing but on paper potential needs to be realised in the very harsh environment that is competitive motorsport. Some of the theory was admirable but they were nowhere near the levels required to take on Audi/Porsche/Toyota.

Talk about a knife at a gunfight.

I think people underestimate the huge volume of work and resources those powerhouses commit to endurance racing and specifically Le Mans. And even that isn't a guarantee - such as failing within sight of the finish. See also; Toyota's F1 efforts.

Qyn, Pigems and Redsea666 like this.
  30. Famine

Famine Administrator

Indeed, but that's pretty much standard for a car in its first season of endurance racing - the 919 retired with a broken ARB in its first Le Mans in 2014. They always aim for the lightest parts possible to survive the race, and commonly they fail. Nissan didn't do any racing at all until Le Mans, so it's even less of a surprise that the car had other mechanical problems at Le Mans.
    Which, as I covered, is a gross understatement. The original (third party) hybrid system didn't even exist...

... and the car never ran with a hybrid system at Le Mans, but does in GT Sport (and GT6), to re-emphasise the point that the GT Sport version has abilities the real car didn't.

The car was essentially based on two quite unusual ideas. One worked incredibly well (the car was barely slower in the speed traps) but had a flaw which the other idea was supposed to compensate for (corner exit acceleration). That second idea - which Nissan bought from an external supplier - didn't even exist, and still doesn't. And the supplier no longer exists either.

Without that idea filling in the gaps created by the first idea, the car was doomed. The last-minute compromise to get the car running semi-competitively - the battery hybrid system driving the front-wheels - destroyed the car's gearboxes, and Nissan abandoned it... but it's still a part of the car in GT Sport, where it won't destroy any gearboxes.

Qyn, Pigems and Redsea666 like this.