"Daily" Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Jim_bilzerian

Jim_bilzerian

Yep I had put the wrong letter in the code :banghead: it should be fixed now :p

2. BlimeyCable

BlimeyCable

Just checked mine, and they add up to 100%. Cracking job. Cheers.

Little_Guppy and Jim_bilzerian like this.
  3. Barra333

Barra333 Premium

Well, there's your problem! We were talking about numbers that don't match :p

4. RacingGrandpa

RacingGrandpa

I quite enjoy racing now under this penalty version.
    I start with a message "I race clean but push and I push too".
    It's proper BTCC of the 90's out there but it's mostly sideswipes and it is relatively easy to counter as long as you expect it.

5. Barra333

Barra333 Premium

I don't mind the door banging, it is the people who divebomb from a mile back and use your B pillar the scrub the last 10kmh off their speed to make the apex (or somewhere nearby) that annoy me. It doesn't necessarily put you off track, but far enough off line that losing another position is almost a given. The two hairpins in race A this week are bad for it, and I assume the tighter corners at Nurb too.

6. Tigerhawk87

Tigerhawk87

Just doing some TT for Race C. The joy of setting a new PB for the week counteracted by improving my time by 0.005. Not likely to make a great difference!

cosme likes this.
  7. RacingGrandpa

RacingGrandpa

I see your point, but it's relatively easy to give them trouble by delaying your turn-in, then they are the ones off.

8. Rexracer702

Rexracer702

+1 Works really well if you stay 1/2 cars width from the outside of the track, Then you can swing wide while they blow past, and get the undercut with lots of speed since they were already compromised on their line.

9. meekrab

meekrab

It was a happy coincidence that iRacing's Season 2 started right after the latest penalty system downgrade... I've been happily driving MX-5s since then. What a huge difference when driving standards are actually enforced, you don't get murdered over incidental contact! :) I will probably run a couple races at Suzuka though just because I love the track and miss cars with actual horsepower. :lol:

10. NevilleNobody

NevilleNobody

At NGP I am basically running an inside line, I don't take the racing line, the second you leave ANY space on the inside someone dives in there, often from way back to yeah, scrub 20kmh off.

It's also turning clean drivers into push passers as they are generally less trusting and also scared if they don't pass you RIGHT NOW they will get pushed off the road. It just adds tension to everyone.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  11. MidnightRun85

MidnightRun85

Damn, just checked, I liked it better before. Lol! Must try harder.

12. viper al

viper al

I hate to say this,but this new penalty system or lack of one seems to be catering to the minority (reckless drivers)I would say most of us just want to race clean and respectful .In my opinion good racers are being driven away and the reckless disrespectful drivers are having a field day .If PD was to go back to a strict penalty system like they did around 2 years ago ,maybe this trend could be reversed :gtpflag:PS Reminds me of a Star Trek episode I watched the other night where Spock says "It is far easier for civilized men to behave like Barbarians than it is for Barbarians to behave like civilized men :lol::lol::lol:

13. 05XR8

05XR8

Race B:
    The FFs are so slow.
    The Mustang is quite quick.
    The Lancer is deceptively fast from T4-T6.
    WRX not so much.
    Scirocco users divebomb.
    RCZ users block.
    86 users are so cute.

That's my summary for this week.

14. Rotary_Pilot

Rotary_Pilot

The last penalty system completely tanked my SR in a day of Monza, taking big penalties for people spinning into me, punted into the car in front, etc. That doesn't really happen in the current system.

The flip side is in the current system I can be pushed/punted/divebombed with no penalty to the offending driver. Midpack and back racing, at least in my experience is tough. Mistakes get made, tempers flare and then it's smash or be smashed.

Somewhere in the middle would be great, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Given the choice I will take the current system, since if I can qualify toward the front I have had some great races. If I'm back in midpack or at the back I stay cautious, defend more often and generally let the others duke it out. Not ideal, but better than getting dinged because some one went of track and rejoins and unghosts where I can't avoid and I get a 3 or 4 second penalty for it.

Mc_Yavel, Rexracer702 and BlimeyCable like this.
  15. sturk0167

sturk0167 Premium

I set my post-race message to "I'm sorry". :mischievous:

BenRod, dlshearon, Groundfish and 6 others like this.
  16. O604

O604

I don't think that's as intimidating as you might think. I would assume you're really polite. :lol:

RacingGrandpa and sturk0167 like this.
  17. Little_Guppy

Little_Guppy

Perfect setup for my dilemma. The same could be said for Gr 3 Beetle drivers. I drive a VW Scirocco and pride myself on being a clean driver.

Like the Beetle, the Scirocco is almost never the META. It has, though, the best braking capability and so I want to rightly exploit that advantage. Otherwise, why bother? The Dunlop Hairpin and the Coca Cola turn are great opportunities. Drivers rarely cover the inside there:
    • probably it is too costly for the following straight,
    • a late brake attempt is not expected, and,
    • the relative rareness of the VW.
    I have managed several clean-no-contact-no-run-wide passes. For Dunlop just get in the slip and get to the inside curb. For Coca Cola just manage a tighter exit on the preceding chicane and couple that with the lead car taking the wide-all-the-way-up-the-curb QT line - well they are just conceding the spot before the pass even happened. <wife> Little Guppy has become rather arrogant don't ya think</wife>

I hope I get to race against you as I would like to try it out and you can judge :nervous:

PoisedPenguin and RacingGrandpa like this.
  18. viper al

viper al

peewee.jpg

Groundfish, OJBrit, sturk0167 and 2 others like this.
  19. OJBrit

OJBrit

The thing is we all know you're not.

NoStopN, sturk0167, viper al and 2 others like this.
  20. Tigerhawk87

Tigerhawk87

Had been really enjoying racing the Evo in Race C this week but had to jettison it as I just could not find the extra pace.
    Gave the GTR a to, admit I've been afraid to use it before. It's a handful but such good craic to drive!
    Had my most enjoyable race in a while also. Started 12th, finished 6th and had fastest lap, a very rare achievement for me. Most fun was the top 6 finishing within within 3.5 seconds of one another!

21. jrbabbitt

jrbabbitt Premium

As a noob to the "daily Races" i try very hard to run clean, even as to brake early and stay out of one's way and losing positions doing so, i am getting discouraged in the "online" races altogether, and then i come here and read all the stories about the "bad" drivers that have no respect and disregard the rules of proper racing, if increases my discouragement of this.
    So i ask a polite and simple question, is this what has become of the online racing where the ones divebombing and pushing off the road the others that they do NOT get penalized and the victims of such wind up with 2-4 second penalties? (really pissed me off that happened to me)
    Thank you for listening...

22. Little_Guppy

Little_Guppy

PD relaxed the penalties about 4 to 6 weeks ago. It is hard to get a collision penalty. It has acted as an invitation for very aggressive and in some cases outright dirty racing.

The races vary a lot. Sometimes you get a clean room even when everyone knows they could cheat, but don't. Other times there are one or two wreckers and the whole thing degenerates. It is better at the front and worse behind.

Unfair penalties happen from time to time in both the new and old system. In my opinion that is not the main issue.

I encourage all to stick to the game as I expect that PD will do another shift.

23. williams_v_r

williams_v_r

Hello guys. I need ask you something

Can rear medium tires resist 8 laps?

A brazilian made his pit stop in lap 2 (Hards to Mediums) and at the end finished with almost 30% of tire wear. He used the AMG GT3

I reach that % with 5 laps driving the NSX.

Very weird

24. GTP_TO Blue

GTP_TO Blue Premium

That should be the pre-race message :sly:

NoStopN, OJBrit and sturk0167 like this.
  25. 05XR8

05XR8

They'll last, but the pace will drop off. An AMG in my race, pitted on Lap 2.

williams_v_r likes this.
  26. OJBrit

OJBrit

It is of course easier to do that way round as the lower fuel load helps reduce tyre wear late race.

27. jimihemmy

jimihemmy Premium

Thanks for the clarification.

Jim_bilzerian likes this.
  28. Groundfish

Groundfish

If you see a “theres a new sheriff in town” greeting in b race tonight from a Mustang driver please identify yourself or you might get contacted. That is all.
    Thank you.

29. Little_Guppy

Little_Guppy

Oh, how my thinking has changed! I was totally against alts as it allows you to mitigate the ups and downs in the game thereby losing the full experience. Then I got my alt for Asia so that I could experiment more broadly. That does not help me for the Americas where now I think I need a police car with a push bar. Aarg!

RacingGrandpa likes this.
  30. BigSarj

BigSarj

I know some of the veterans here have expressed disinterest in Gr3 at Suzuka but I'm newer to the online and have always loved Suzuka. This was a dream race for me but I was hesitant to try it out after a disastrous weekend playing online.

Thanks to @Jim_bilzerian and GTBlade, I realized that I had a good qualify time and jumped in. After a miserable couple of races in which I shot myself in the foot twice, I finally warmed up and started going places. Three podiums, one of which would have been a win if I had only pitted a lap earlier.

I may have had great luck today because most of the races were clean and close. People gave space, mistakes were apologized for, and signals of thanks were afforded to those who followed etiquette.

I really wanted to do a few more races tomorrow but it's a long weekend and I have made clear in a previous post of mine that I don't ever want to do a daily race on a weekend. It's too bad.