"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
Dude, Race C is kicking my arse this week. This track his historically tough for me, so I have probably invested 3-4 hours into it without even entering one race. Just trying to figure the circuit out. Can only get to a low 1:56.... sometimes.

I'm just losing time everywhere on this track. Can't figure out my braking points. Can't figure out my turn-ins. Even with all the visual assists on :lol:

I seem to be fastest in the RSR, but for whatever reason, that car feels so slow. I keep watching lap guides and its amazing how slow they're going in some of those turns. I guess this is a track where patience is a virtue :banghead:

Last edited:
Problem with the RSR is it lacks a bit of top end and also it doesn't like bumps/kerbs. It's kind of OK everywhere but not great anywhere.
Top end isn’t a big issue on this track and I find it super stable on kerbs for an MR car. I see people complaining about how it takes the last chicane, but I don’t seem to have much trouble. Might be I’m just equally rubbish at it in all cars.

The new car du jour seems to be the Beetle. Man I dislike that car with a passion. Everything about it just grinds my gears.

I’m not a fan.

Problem with the RSR is it lacks a bit of top end and also it doesn't like bumps/kerbs. It's kind of OK everywhere but not great anywhere.

The RSR is awful at the chicane and awful at getting a little physical. If they upset it in turns it’s slow on the straight.
I’d go Corvette if I go again, but I might try A race instead. At least it will be over quickly.

The Corvette is plenty capable, there were a few that did quite well in top split yesterday.
GP is a unique track, and always a challenge to get time. Slow in fast out.
So many 53 just kind of puts me off.

Last edited:
I’m genuinely puzzled by the fact there aren’t more RSRs in the lobbies. I find it’s so good at carrying speed through corners and I can get on the power nice and early with minimal wheel spin. When you add this to the fact that even I can do a 4m6s strat it’s just made for this combo. Yet, I never see more than a couple in a lobby.

The new car du jour seems to be the Beetle. Man I dislike that car with a passion. Everything about it just grinds my gears.
It takes a different style to get the most speed / lowest lap times out of an RSR... it's a unique driving experience. Really have to optimize min corner speeds and carry the speed through the apex, as noted, it doesn't have the grunt to make up for slow corners with great top end on the straights.

The Beetles make speed in such terribly different ways as the rest of the field, they are such a nuisance to race against. And then when you add in the god-awful noise it makes, when you are stuck behind one, it's hell.

Dude, Race C is kicking my arse this week. This track his historically tough for me, so I have probably invested 3-4 hours into it without even entering one race. Just trying to figure the circuit out. Can only get to a low 1:56.... sometimes.

I'm just losing time everywhere on this track. Can't figure out my braking points. Can't figure out my turn-ins. Even with all the visual assists on :lol:

It's a very natural track for my driving style. I don't do well with the D-pad through fast essess or changes of direction, I am very good at "hit braking point, tiny bit of lift oversteer, point her the right way, lay on the gas" which is NGP to a T.

Focus hard on your exits, lay on the gas as soon as you can even if that means braking earlier than you think you should. There are three key corners;

1) Right hander at the end of the mikey mouse section, you can gain/lose a second here, it is immensely tricky but carry as much speed as you can through the left hander then switch to the right and forward momentum asap, extremely tricky corner, trickiest in the game imho.

2) The right hander onto the back straight. The preceding left hand drags you to the right, you need to bail out and shift left. Think Malmedy at Spa where you sacrifice the left hander to gain speed on exit through the right hander. At NGP though, you need to really push the car hard towards the right side apex off throttle and as you touch the kerb lay on the gas.

3) Chicane. brake earlyish, right wheels JUST on the right side of the kerb to the left and gas it hard BEFORE you hit the right side kerb, as in drive right over the dang thing.

I am dipping into the 54's so no gun at all but even small improvements on those 3 corners should see you well into the 55s.

EDIT: This is from a few weeks back but go to 8.45 and you'll see what i mean at the chicane, look at the ground i make up it is insane.

Last edited:
Soooo…

2 hours later, I can break into the .55’s with somewhat consistency. Gonna go for a hike, and come back and give it another hour. If I can’t get a high .54 qually time with consistent mid .55 laps on softs, I’m putting on the vr set to see what I’m missing.

never in my life have I had this big of an issue with one track!! Lol

55's on softs? That's A+ range, the tyres degrade REALLY fast, a 56 is super fast. You're just not gonna go from struggling to get to a 54 in qually to running 55s in race.

Biggest problem I found about the RSR since buying the game, it's a GTE car with GTE gearing. It's a choice of 1st gear or second gear for tight corners.

Do you want to deal with dripping down to 1st and maybe gain a one thousandth of a second or wait it out in 2nd gear and hope the next corner arrives before the car behind catches up.
I chose 2nd gear for most of the corners. Even T1. I dropped it to 2nd or 1st for the final chicane. Used either gear for the hairpin at the bottom after the PZ. It's about who your racing and position that'll determine what gear you choose to select.

The Bettle has close ratios. The C7 can use 3rd gear everywhere. Mustang is similar to the C7 where it's torque keeps its momentum up. The Mother Chassis EVO and STI have downforce which keeps them alive through the braking area to corner exit. Weirdly, both those cars enjoy a good slipstream to harrass cars ahead.

Thing is though the RSR is a gun on the gas, I can lay into the throttle on TC1 like nothing else because engine over rear wheels.

The car I REALLY don't understand in the Renault. Such a handful, slides everywhere yet it's nearly meta at NGP.

The RSR is MR. It's got no problem with acceleration. Campared to other cars' gearing, it's like a Le Mans set up. Can't recall going through all the gears on the straights.

never in my life have I had this big of an issue with one track!! Lol

Imo don’t practice too much in qualifying trim-there’s a heavy fuel load in this one.

55's on softs? That's A+ range, the tyres degrade REALLY fast, a 56 is super fast. You're just not gonna go from struggling to get to a 54 in qually to running 55s in race

Dude you shoulda seen last nights lobbies pace. Mid 56 was getting left in the dust.
Multiple streamers watch me on Twitch etc.
My unpracticed Mustang 56-7 times were getting left behind. Good thing there was a lot of crashes…

The car I REALLY don't understand in the Renault. Such a handful, slides everywhere yet it's nearly meta at NGP.

?! Huh? The RS01? Meta? Huh?

I love nothing more in this game than overtaking the RSR. It’s one driver in a thousand that gets that car working. For every fast driver with it with tcs, you’ve got a hundred non tcs drivers slipping and sliding and crashing and then thinking they can dive because brakes argh. Irl Porsche is great, in GTS it’s one step above Beetle in my book.

Overall A race might be where the fun is this week.

Last edited:
I’m genuinely puzzled by the fact there aren’t more RSRs in the lobbies. I find it’s so good at carrying speed through corners and I can get on the power nice and early with minimal wheel spin. When you add this to the fact that even I can do a 4m6s strat it’s just made for this combo. Yet, I never see more than a couple in a lobby.

I was really wanting to try something other than the Porsche but here I am, feeling right at home in it at Nurburgring GP.

My questions for you regarding qualifying: do you take the Schumacher esses flat out or do you lift a tiny bit? Also, in what gear do you take turn 2? Turn 2 and 3 are really hard for me.

Last edited:
Really liking race C this week, except that far too often you get dirty drivers. Tried a few car and was doing decent in the F type, then I tried the Evo and knocked a full sec off quali in a few laps. It's maybe not as good in the race as the jag, but keeping with it. The tyre wear is brutal though and doing 5 laps even on meds is tough.

Imo don’t practice too much in qualifying trim-there’s a heavy fuel load in this one.

Dude you shoulda seen last nights lobbies pace. Mid 56 was getting left in the dust.
Multiple streamers watch me on Twitch etc.
My unpracticed Mustang 56-7 times were getting left behind. Good thing there was a lot of crashes…

?! Huh? The RS01? Meta? Huh?

I love nothing more in this game than overtaking the RSR. It’s one driver in a thousand that gets that car working. For every fast driver with it with tcs, you’ve got a hundred non tcs drivers slipping and sliding and crashing and then thinking they can dive because brakes argh. Irl Porsche is great, in GTS it’s one step above Beetle in my book.

Overall A race might be where the fun is this week.

yup, pace is crazy right now.

mans by race pace in the 55’s…I just mean hot lapping lol

I did 2 races last night, mostly A drivers, mid pack we were circulating in 57s.

Gotta do something about tyre wear as it is only strategy that is saving me from running near dead last.

Last edited:
I switched from the Porsche to the Jaguar and shaved whole second off so there's that.

I know that I'm a class slower than you guys but idk what you guys are talking about re: the Porsche. It is super stable on the curbs and a dream going through the chicane. For me, anyway. And @D_Dragline I suppose. BB set to 0. On the Jag, I have BB set to +1.

Last edited:
After being away from the game for 18 months, I had forgotten how much fun the dailies are. I'd also forgotten issues with disconnects. I made some progress from starting towards the back with only a modest qualifying effort.
upload_2021-6-8_14-11-5.png

upload_2021-6-8_14-11-39.png

I switched from the Porsche to the Jaguar and shaved whole second off so there's that.

I know that I'm a class slower than you guys but idk what you guys are talking about re: the Porsche. It is super stable on the curbs and a dream going through the chicane. For me, anyway. And @D_Dragline I suppose. BB set to 0. On the Jag, I have BB set to +1.

I don’t personally have luck in the 911 in technical slow speed zones like Interlagos or Nurb GP chicane or last part of Catalunya, personally.
I’ve seen others do just fine in those areas with it tho.
For me my favorite car on areas like that in gr3 is the Vette.
For me the 911 is one of the best cars for its style, but I find those cars (handling/lightweight) twitchy and not confidence inspiring to push them. Plus the steering rotations are kinda sensitive on those as well, they are certainly pointy and FEEL lightning fast but usually the stopwatch reveals less than stellar times compared to a torquey naturally aspirated power fr.
With a car like the Vette Stang AMG M6 I can push the car feeling it will be more predictable.
Certainly there’s a tendency for understeer but it can be largely mitigated by technique and using a wheel.
I did run WRX one race last night. It’s a nice drive and the sound isn’t annoying.

Last edited:
I don’t personally have luck in the 911 in technical slow speed zones like Interlagos or Nurb GP chicane or last part of Catalunya, personally.
For me the 911 is one of the best cars for its style, but I find those cars (handling/lightweight) twitchy and not confidence inspiring to push them. Plus the steering rotations are kinda sensitive on those as well, they are certainly pointy and FEEL lightning fast but usually the stopwatch reveals less than stellar times compared to a torquey naturally aspirated power fr.
With a car like the Vette Stang AMG M6 I can push the car feeling it will be more predictable.
Certainly there’s a tendency for understeer but it can be largely mitigated by technique and using a wheel.
I did run WRX one race last night. It’s a nice drive and the sound isn’t annoying.
The Vette is my second most comfortable/fast car to drive in group 3 and I've been awful with it on this track. It's always either understeering or oversteering on me, no matter my settings. Haven't managed to race with it yet due to too many errands to run today but it hasn't fared well for me.

I would try the Mustang but I have hated Mustangs since I was a child in elementary school so I'm resisting. I know, real mature.

The AMG has felt nice, too but it's a little slow for my style, I think. I think I will have to stick with the 911 and the F-Type this week.

I'm going out on a limb here but I think your troubles with the RSR is TCS related.
I have been using TCS for a veryong time too and found it great, but have unlearned it and for me it's a great freedom that I no longer have to follow the line to be as fast, with no TCS the Porsche comes alive and are much more eager to follow arch's and run over curbs.

Now, I am still low B, I think that's my natural habitat, I fluctuate between 15-19K up and down depending on what race I end up in.
Today I was in the WRX, my lap 6 was FL for 2laps then a RSR moved faster. I had a 57.2 as fastest lap.
Going to get some sleep but in 8 hours or so I'll be at it again.

I would try the Mustang but I have hated Mustangs since I was a child in elementary school so I'm resisting. I know, real mature

Fwiw gr4 Mustang=WEAPON
gr3 Mustang=NOT WEAPON

I'm going out on a limb here but I think your troubles with the RSR is TCS related.

NAH I can achieve good hotlaps in it with/without tcs-like most cars.
For my style one of the few cars I feel tcs really hurts is gr4 Rarri.
For my way I’m faster and more consistent using TCS on most racecars tho.
Fwiw also some of my best competition against high A A plus drivers has been guys using TCS in Porsche RCZ type group 3 cars.
I know online here often people TCS shame others but I feel that is opposite what I see in game as the “IM TOO GOOD FOR TCS”
guy gets bumped exiting a turn on power, overheats the rears tries to save but creates a big wreck, or runs over a sloppy curb or grass and slides spins again losing control causing crashes.
In sport mode 99 percent of all loss of control is by people who are too good for tcs.
Jmo

I have also really enjoyed it... at least at this point earlier in the week. Was able to post a pretty good QT and also able to repeat it so that I was really comfortable racing. In fact, my fastest laps have been in the races, as I keep leaving tenths out there when qualifying.

Was able to snag one win (ironically from 5th before I had put in a good time), but otherwise had a series of podiums while trying to keep up with a super fast Brazilian who was really fun to race with. I was getting faster and faster but was never going to catch him. a 2:13.8 was the best I could do after a few hours' work.

Also raced against the guy who has the top QT in the Americas... you are only shooting for 2nd place when that happens.

But I agree... the Toybarus are so fun to drive and race. So linear in throttle on and throttle off, and when you are right, it pays off with big chunks of time gained. They would make perfect instructional cars and they are really suited to GT Sport's physics model, with great feel, both on the steering and with the throttle control.

View attachment 1016192 View attachment 1016191
Shoutout to @BenRod and @sturk0167 …fun racing with GTP friends out there. Sorry was a little ragged in the last race, BenRod, I think my concentration level hit a limit and was ready to call it a session. But Race A has been fun so far this week. At least from front of the grid.

Fwiw gr4 Mustang=WEAPON
gr3 Mustang=NOT WEAPON

NAH I can achieve good hotlaps in it with/without tcs-like most cars.
For my style one of the few cars I feel tcs really hurts is gr4 Rarri.
For my way I’m faster and more consistent using TCS on most racecars tho.
Fwiw also some of my best competition against high A A plus drivers has been guys using TCS in Porsche RCZ type group 3 cars.
I know online here often people TCS shame others but I feel that is opposite what I see in game as the “IM TOO GOOD FOR TCS”
guy gets bumped exiting a turn on power, overheats the rears tries to save but creates a big wreck, or runs over a sloppy curb or grass and slides spins again losing control causing crashes.
In sport mode 99 percent of all loss of control is by people who are too good for tcs.
Jmo
I agree on that. You should definitely use TCS as long as it doesn't hinder you.
If it's not the TCS it might be the fuel weight..

And the GR 3 Mustang isn't as bad as people say. I am within 2 tenths of my Vette time in the Stang.
I am faster in FP in the RCZ but I hesitate to use it because of the tire wear.

Also re tcs, I ran 1 M 12 S at Brands in the Gr4 Stang, I think non tcs equals more tire wear too.
I will run default tcs on A race and see if I can beat a few guys…

It's really cool to see the different driving styles. I have a hard time with getting on throttle early due to fear of losing control and such and I used to spin out all the time when I first got my wheel and when I first did Group 2 with tire wear but I pretty much cannot lose control with the 911. The only time I ever did was last lap, 130R at Suzuka a few weeks back and that may or may not have been a curb glitch.

All I know is, I punch well above my peers at the chance, i absolutely hurl the amg at it as per the wrx group 4 video above. The 911 just will not do that, when it lands it gets unsettled, really unsettled. So either I have to wait an age to get on the gas or the tc kicks in super aggressive.

With the merc, I never even let go of the throttle.

I think it is a testament to the category to see so many cars competitive though. More than one way to skin a cat as they say.

I'm gonna give the beetle and the shaguar a lash tonight, could be interesting, thanks for the reminder on the jag.

Last edited:
I was really wanting to try something other than the Porsche but here I am, feeling right at home in it at Nurburgring GP.

My questions for you regarding qualifying: do you take the Schumacher esses flat out or do you lift a tiny bit? Also, in what gear do you take turn 2? Turn 2 and 3 are really hard for me.
I give the slightest of lifts on entry to the esses.

Turn 2 is the most difficult in terms of gear selection. In qualifying I usually use 2nd on entry and shift on exit.

I give the slightest of lifts on entry to the esses.

Turn 2 is the most difficult in terms of gear selection. In qualifying I usually use 2nd on entry and shift on exit.
Okay, good to know. I did another couple of quali laps in the F-Type and it was faster than the Porsche for me. I actually hit 55.x with it, which was my goal. Still not good enough to show up on GTBlade, though. :(

The Porsche gearing is a bit of a problem for me but everything else about it is perfect, even at 0 or -1 BB.

That's what I'm saying about the Le Mans gearing. It's not suited for every track. Most GT3 cars are set up for most these tracks.

Back