"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
Daily Race “B”
1st Race

Started 7th, finished dead last (16th). I got caught up in the madness at the 1st sharp right; got put down to 9th or 10th. I got back up to 7th, then 6th. Then, I absolutely mauled by the chicane. And by mauled, I mean I slammed my car into both the wall on the left and the wall right in front of me. That put me down to 10th, again. Next lap, I hit the chicane, AGAIN! No position loss. Next lap, you guessed it…..the chicane and I got real close, again. We’re becoming best buds. Last lap, I’m down in last place. I made sure to NOT hit any walls at the chicane. I succeeded. I don’t know I couldn’t do that on the earlier laps.

2nd Race
I started 9th, then 8th, then 7th. How? I was initially 9th at the very start (before the rolling start even commenced). I went to 8th because someone disconnected. During the rolling start (before the race actually started), someone else disconnected and I went to 7th. I was moving up pretty good thanks to people getting chaotic at the wrong places and me dodging them. I was in 5th, doing well, then…..well, you know what happened. So I was down to 10th. I moved up a few spots thanks to some battling ahead. I found myself in 7th…..back where I started. I’m OK with that seeing as how I gave the chicane a big hug, earlier. On the last lap, coming out of the chicane, the car ahead slowed down a bit too much and I was able to pass him going into the tunnel. I finished in 6th. If not for that hit, it would’ve been a clean race. But I raised my position, so I’m good with that.

3rd Race
Started 6th, finished 4th. On the 1st lap, someone forgot to either shift gears or they forgot they were playing. After the actual race started, they slowed WAY down and just sat there for a second as a bunch of us passed him. Coming up to the 1st sharp right-hander, I got caught up in a scuffle and was pushed a little bit wide. I started to spin, saved it, and got back into it, but down 2 spots. I managed to make my way back to 6th and up to 5th on the next lap. I stayed there until lap 4 when the person in front had a date with the chicane. He hit it perfectly in the side, it threw him into the opposite barrier, and he came to a dead stop. We were a good bit ahead of the group behind us, so he lost only 1 position (I think). Anyway, I passed him there and finished in 4th.

4th Race (Daily Race “A”)
WOW! What a punch fest. I started in 4th, finished in 6th. It could’ve been WAY worse, though. From the start, at the 1st corner, the divebombing started. Myself and 2 others got knocked around a bit by some dufus wanting to take all the spots ahead of him. So he knocked us all off the line, took the spot, and nothing happened. No penalty at all. OK..…whatever. Then I started getting knocked around some more; pushed this way and that. Coming up to the final turn on the 1st lap, I get knocked way wide and get passed by 3 or 4 others. OK, so it’s going to be THAT kind of race. I continued on as I normally do. No retaliation, no banging, no bashing, no divebombing, etc. I then get caught up in a retaliatory hit from one driver on another. There were 2 other cars in the mix, besides the hit man and the victim. I was one of those 2. The hit man did a poor job of being a hit man, though. He tagged his victim only a little bit, and allowed him to go mostly unscathed. And it was enough to allow the other innocent victim to go through, even while taking a bit of a hit, himself. I took the force of a sideswipe and get knocked way into the dirt. The sideswipe actually helped the hit man as it kept him from running that much wider. I recovered, made a pass here and there (thanks to others running side or spinning) and finished in 6th.

I really wish you could save replays of online races..…or even view them.

I haven’t tried DR “C”, yet. I’ve run a few practice laps with the R92, but I just can’t get a good enough time that I’m comfortable with.
You can save them to your library. it's at the top left in the lobby at the end.

I'm probably not going to participate in a race for C this week. It looks fun, but I can't trust myself to not be an indirect menace to others. I don't want to be the person that ruins a race because I can't keep control of the car.

So, I did some laps on Dragon Trail and have matched my best lap there so far at a 1:38.6XX. I had an optimal time of 1:38.2XX, which I know I can get, I can't make a lap with out a minor mistake. Plus, a bunch of visits to the CoD don't help either.

After sitting around waiting for a lobby races to manifest, I got tired and wanted to load up some Race C. It's a good race when track limit penalties don't massacre your momentum, but its sorta part of the challenge.

Though, I added another one on top of it - which was to do a few races without the HUD. Most, if not all of the information on the HUD is not needed during the race or all the time even.
How does a dynamic HUD sound? I got close to a win, but had to settle for a podium. Cut the track at a really bad time and had to slow down to avoid the penalty. Possibly too much...

As always the replay...

I also shared the replay on GTS if you want to know if its legit. Tags are "gtp" & "nohud". Or you can just add my main. ;-)

While the challenge was not that hard, it always felt like a bad shift or move away from a hairy moment.

I don't know how you guys drive those Gr.1 cars. I ran a bunch of laps last night, first in the Tomahawk (to test out a livery) and then in the R92CP. I couldn't manage anything under 3:08. Just no idea how to drive those cars smoothly or efficiently!

I don't know how you guys drive those Gr.1 cars. I ran a bunch of laps last night, first in the Tomahawk (to test out a livery) and then in the R92CP. I couldn't manage anything under 3:08. Just no idea how to drive those cars smoothly or efficiently!
They're very difficult to drive smoothly, especially the old Le Mans cars like the R92CP and the 787b. I do really like the way they handle. I also couldn't get under 3:08 yet. That time did give me pole in a lower rated lobby though, by .8 seconds even.

They're very difficult to drive smoothly, especially the old Le Mans cars like the R92CP and the 787b. I do really like the way they handle. I also couldn't get under 3:08 yet. That time did give me pole in a lower rated lobby though, by .8 seconds even.
My target K time is 3:03.659... 😳 No idea how I'm going to find 5 secs of lap time if I can't even keep the thing on track!

My target K time is 3:03.659... 😳 No idea how I'm going to find 5 secs of lap time if I can't even keep the thing on track!
Yeah that's gonna be quite difficult lol. I'd suggest just focussing on driving clean instead of focussing on speed. After a couple laps I bet you'll feel much more comfortable with the car. Just don't get on the power too soon, that'll spin you most likely.

Yeah that's gonna be quite difficult lol. I'd suggest just focussing on driving clean instead of focussing on speed. After a couple laps I bet you'll feel much more comfortable with the car. Just don't get on the power too soon, that'll spin you most likely.
I found it was more the braking and turning points I was getting wrong. Acceleration was fine mostly, except a couple of moments in the chicanes at the end. But nailing those braking and turning points feels almost like a black art in this car!

Has anyone else also found the track limits don't seem to exist in qualifying mode??

My target is 3:05, but I'm starting from the back and doing OK or having fights. It's more about consistency that flat out speed. If my laps are all in around 3:10 I'll finish well. I recon I could pull a 3:06 if I tried qualifying. If your struggling to handle the older cars the LM 55 is a good option, it will lose on the straights but I found it much easier to handle on the corners, using the 787 now but feel the slower car helped my times.

I found it was more the braking and turning points I was getting wrong. Acceleration was fine mostly, except a couple of moments in the chicanes at the end. But nailing those braking and turning points feels almost like a black art in this car!

Has anyone else also found the track limits don't seem to exist in qualifying mode??
The tracklimits are kinda vague, as usual really. I drove a pretty perfect race starting from pole, completely clean race until the final chicane, where I went maybe a couple centimetres off track, instand 0.5 second penalty. I didn't even drive that much off track as I did on previous laps.

Last edited:
My target is 3:05, but I'm starting from the back and doing OK or having fights. It's more about consistency that flat out speed. If my laps are all in around 3:10 I'll finish well. I recon I could pull a 3:06 if I tried qualifying. If your struggling to handle the older cars the LM 55 is a good option, it will lose on the straights but I found it much easier to handle on the corners, using the 787 now but feel the slower car helped my times.
3:04.254 for me. I am only 0.464 off. I wonder if I can do it as I feel I have a lot more time to find.
I am well under for A. Kudos have me a real poor time to get under. It's like trying to limbo when the bar starts at 2m high.

There is something strange about the nationalities at the top of the board for Race A in Asia - 10 of the top 13 times are from Thailand, then there are only 17 more Thai drivers in the rest of the top 500. I've done a dozen races this week and not seen one of them.

Also, pretty happy with my top 40 time in the region right now. Shame so many races are ruined at turn one. 12 races, 9 poles (3 2nds), 2 wins, 5 times punted.

this is what i love about those cars , the brutality , the insane power i actually really like how difficult to drive these cars are

After sitting around waiting for a lobby races to manifest, I got tired and wanted to load up some Race C. It's a good race when track limit penalties don't massacre your momentum, but its sorta part of the challenge.

Though, I added another one on top of it - which was to do a few races without the HUD. Most, if not all of the information on the HUD is not needed during the race or all the time even.
How does a dynamic HUD sound? I got close to a win, but had to settle for a podium. Cut the track at a really bad time and had to slow down to avoid the penalty. Possibly too much...

As always the replay...

I also shared the replay on GTS if you want to know if its legit. Tags are "gtp" & "nohud". Or you can just add my main. ;-)

While the challenge was not that hard, it always felt like a bad shift or move away from a hairy moment.

Good Race! The lap after the pit is intense. You didn't get killed at Mulsanne by any of the two cars with you and you are brave enough to go two cars in Porsche curve. Good stuff

You know you can get rid of the name tag over the car in replays. Just open photomode at the beginning of the race and back.
I wish we can get rid of them while racing online. Sometimes they block the view for the braking marker.
Dynamic HUD has to be in GT7

My races from 3rd this morning were lonely. Guys in front are too fast and guys behind 2 sec slower. I could fight the leaders for the first lap but I didn't try any big move because in the long run, I was always going to lose the race.

As I stare at my pit crew for about 20 seconds, waiting for my car to pull into the pit stall at Le Mans, I think they need better looking suits. I would like to be able to make suit liveries for my pit crew.
Put it in GT7. :D
No way man.

They get new clothes when they earn new clothes. Where are they when gas is low? Or to tell which tires I need? And they need to stand up straight, terrible posture. They're lucky to have clothes at all. :D

As I stare at my pit crew for about 20 seconds, waiting for my car to pull into the pit stall at Le Mans, I think they need better looking suits. I would like to be able to make suit liveries for my pit crew.
I think my pink suited guys look quite cool. What I'm not happy about is that guy on the front right, he's always last to finish how do I fire him?

Last edited:
Anyone else feeling a little..... flat.... due to the match making? I realise I could intentionally mess up my SR or tank my DR until I am paired with slower folks but that's against the spirit of things isn't it.

I seem to relentlessly be matched in A/A+ rooms, qualifying bottom third of the grid and fighting tooth and nail to finish top 10. My DR ebbs and flows but often the competition is so high rated i can gain points despite finishing 11th or 12th. I enjoy the challenge and all but I am not getting a sniff of a podium 19 races out 20, not even close.

Last edited:
Anyone else feeling a little..... flat.... due to the match making? I realise I could intentionally mess up my SR or tank my DR until I am paired with slower folks but that's against the spirit of things isn't it.

I seem to relentlessly be matched in A/A+ rooms, qualifying bottom third of the grid and fighting tooth and nail to finish top 10. My DR ebbs and flows but often the competition is so high rated i can gain points despite finishing 11th or 12th. I enjoy the challenge and all but I am not getting a sniff of a podium 19 races out 20, not even close.
The name of the game is racing, not winning. There can only be one winner per race unfortunately. As long as you have good battle and consistency, you have a good race. I hate when my SR drop in low S and i get pole from other DR. C driver. Weird behavior from the matchmaking.

What I do to forget about the fact that I'm not going to win is to not set the ultimate quali lap you can achieve. That way you know you can make some progress on the cars around you and then be consistent in my lap time and try to finish higher than my starting position. I go for the fastest quali on sundays to see where I end up.

At the beginning of this week on Race C, I started from the back. I avoid first lap carnage and I jump more than 10 positions a race. This morning I decided to put a Q time with the target of reaching DR.A+. Well those race were boring. Pole is A+ with a 3.00 QT, I'm 3rd with a 3.02 and the guy behing is 3.05. Start 3 finish 3, alone and sad. At least I can sip my coffee on Mulsanne straight while it's still hot.

Last edited:

I noticed if I set a lower quali time my lobbies are a little less talented. When i put down a decent time at Brands last week i was up against some quick drivers.

I'm not afraid of racing above my weight. I just need more race time practice geting used to the difference in handling between racing and quali. I'm always slower because of it.

Some tracks it takes so long I expect one to glance at his watch with impatience.
They're lucky to have clothes at all. :D
I would prefer mine with clothes thank you very much.

Nearly all my FIA wins have been so hollow because I got them against players far below my level, I'd rather have a good fight for 19th than an easy win. True it would be nice if you could be battling for the top ever game, but it's not really possible.

On my main account I have 1375 races. 22 wins.
Do you know why I am still racing? Because for me the satisfaction is in the racing, the battle for position, be it #1 0r #16.
The really good races are at least as often in midpack as in the front.

When you are being matched with all A+ it's because you are getting better and the game puts you up against better racers.
I believe we grow facing competition.
No one grows from seal clubbing.

Had an up and down time at race C last night. A solid first race was followed by a penalty hell. Had something in my eye and picked up 1.5 seconds of penalty in the chicanes so had to serve them on the straight. Then pulled the same move on lap 5. Meanwhile the guy in front who cut massively more than my small tire over the edge only got 0.5 for his trouble.

Race 3 I managed to do it again so decided I wasn't hugging the back of the pack I ended up behind and pitted on lap 2. Undercut worked a treat. Passed a couple of drivers there including @Hdbd04. Another penalty brought him right up past me on the final lap, but we had a good little battle, with him being awesome and not knocking me off while I was screwing up the last section.

Also good to see @Stephan out there even if he got killed in race 1.

Daily Race “A”(Used the Megane for all races)

1st Race
Started 5th; finished 2nd. But it was a weird race. There was no countdown or pre-race grid setting where it goes into different views for the cars. After the warm-up, it went into the grid look, jumped to the cars starting to move, and the race began. I was revving my engine, and I noticed that I was moving forward. The person in front of me went ghost, and I went right through him As soon as I noticed it, I nailed the throttle. I was in 1st for 4 laps, but got passed along the back straight (before the final turn) by the 2nd place car. He was a much better driver and seemed to take a smoother line around the track. I followed directly in his path after he passed, and I stayed right with him. I caught him at the final turn on the final lap, but I went in a tiny bit too hot and bumped him; causing him to go a bit wide. I tried going for the inside line, but it was a mistake. There was plenty of room, but me speed was just too much. I felt bad, so I gave the position back since he clearly had the line and I went in too fast. I’m happy with the 2nd place finish and a clean race award (which I didn’t really understand since I’d clearly made contact with another driver).

2nd Race
Started 6th; finished 10th. Absolute chaos at turn 1. And turn 3. And turn 6. I got knocked around and pushed down to 10th. I made my way back to 7th, and then got knocked back down to 9th. At the final turn on the final lap, I was hit by a dive-bomber who was not content with finishing last. So he knocked me wide, drove on, and I had to go down to 1st gear to get out of the sand. Overall, it was just a very chaotic race with a lot of people playing bumper cars. The 1st race was so clean (I didn’t see anyone with any penalties). But the 2nd race…..there were a lot of penalties. And I don’t know how, but I got another clean race award.

3rd Race
Started 5th; finished 8th. Turn 1, I found myself in 2nd. People were playing bumper cars, again. I took advantage of the situation, drove around them, and had a nice lead on 3rd; just over a second back from 1st. “OK” I thought to myself, “Let’s drive as cleanly as possible, as well as possible, and see if we can shorten that gap to 1st.” It was working. But at turn 1 on lap 2, I got kicked out into the sand by the 3rd place driver. That put me down in last. SMH. I got back on it, drove with a mission, and got myself back up to 7th. I was doing well for a bit, and I was actually gaining on 6th and 5th a good bit. I thought maybe I could make a go at a pass on either the back straight or the front straight where I could use the slipstream. But nooooo. I had to be an idiot, and ram the 6th place car at the end of the straight going into turn 3. I hit the brakes too late, slowed way down when I hit him, and got passed by the driver behind me; putting me down to 8th. I didn’t knock him off the track, thank goodness, but I’m sure he wasn’t too happy about it. He didn’t get passed, but I know it probably made him mad. Man…..from 2nd place, to almost last. Talk about frustrating.

Daily Race “B” (switched from the GR Supra to the Beetle; it’s fun as hell to drive)

1st Race
Started 10th; finished 11th. I should’ve finished a lot worse, but on the last lap people decided they wanted to start running into walls, knocking each other around, hugging it out with the chicane, and other general nonsense. On lap 2, I nailed this poor guy and knocked him off the track and caused him to lose a couple positions. I felt really bad about it so I slowed down and let him pass me back. That put me down to 13th. But thanks to people trying to go 2 wide through the chicane on the final lap, I wound up in 11th.

2nd Race
Started 5th; finished 15th. On the 1st lap, going through the esses, I got side-swiped and went off the track and into the wall. I don’t know if it was deliberate, but it sure looked that way. The thing is, he was actually passing me there, so there was no need to even do it. He just suddenly drover over into me and knocked me into the wall. I came to a dead stop, ghosted back onto the track, and found myself in last place. I subsequently had it out with the chicane, and the chicane won…..twice. That damn guy just threw me off my rhythm and I go so frustrated that I couldn’t concentrate well. On the final lap, someone wiped out at the top of the hill before the 1st sharp right-hander. I went past, and held that position until the end.

Overall, it was NOT a good night for me.

I did two races at Dragon Trail, and it felt good to get back to some online racing after not doing it for a while.

Race 1 I start P8 and some chaos to start lap one.

I end up in P4 and stay there until the end of the race. I just raced my lines and took it easy in the CoD as I had a constant 2+ second lead after the lap 1 mess. And, I got the ever elusive for me Clean Race Bonus.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210923184146.jpg

Race 2 I find myself starting in P10, and after some more lap 1 shenanigans, I find myself in P4 again.

GT Sport is easy lol. I did find myself in P3 briefly when one the top 3 took a visit to the CoD. They got by me due to the slipstream on the front stretch and I went a bit too quick into the uphill chicane. I did get slightly bumped from behind from some incidental contact, but nothing that would effect my racing. I almost get them coming out of the "Snorkel", but they had a slight lead so I backed off before the quick left hand turn before the CoD. Another Clean Race Bonus for me and some great racing all night.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210923190133.jpg

I've done a few B races this week.

Been hit and miss for me. Half good, clean racing. Half intentionally punted or pushed off road. So, about the same as last time. At least it's consistent. :lol:

Back