Engine/Drivetrain Swaps

Canada
Canada
-

The ability to put another engine (from the same family) into your car.
i.e, you could put a 2JZGTE (engine from a Toyota Supra RZ) into a Toyota GT86, or an RB26DETT (engine from a Nissan Skyline GT-R ) into a Nissan Silvia.

Drivetrain swaps are the ability to change your car from FF to 4WD, say.
i.e, changing a Honda Civic Type R 4WD, because the 4WD Element is based on the same chassis. Or, you could change the FF Scion TC (not in game), which is based of the same platform as the 4WD Toyota Avensis, and convert the Scion to RWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
NO THANK YOU. Leave that silliness to forza. I like the idea, if it's done well but I don't want to play a game where a fiat 500 can overtake a Ferrari. If I could give my Dodge Ram a V10 viper engine that would be cool or put a lager motor into my Camaro, but this feature is just going to be abused with over use or stupidity.

It sounds like a great idea, as long as the swaps are realistic, based on cars from the manufacturer or possible without changing it's shape, and do not produce overpowered PP specs. Cost of engine swaps would be varied based on the improvements in PP and power (the more the performance improvements, the more expensive it will cost)

Examples of realistic manufacturer swaps like:
2003 Viper's 8.3L V10 in a Ram (Ram SRT10)
Accord Euro-R engine in a Odyssey (JDM Honda Odyssey "Absolute")
Cadillac CTS-V engine in a 09 Camaro (Camaro ZL1)
VW Golf Mk4 GTi Engine in the VW New Beetle 2.0 (2006-2010 VW New Beetle)

Other realistic swaps that are not a official production tune but can work without overpowering the car include:
K20 Civic engine from the 08' Civic in a 91-95 EG Civic
Rotary from the FD RX7 Spirit R in a FC RX7.
Challenger SRT-8 engine in a 1970 Dodge Challenger
R34 Skyline GT-R engine in a R31 Skyline GTS-R
SLR McLaren engine in a C63 AMG

I like realistic engine swaps in Gran Turismo, but I won't support crazy swaps like a Lamborghini Gallardo engine in a VW Golf or Ferrari 458 engine in a Fiat 500.

NO THANK YOU. Leave that silliness to forza. I like the idea, if it's done well but I don't want to play a game where a fiat 500 can overtake a Ferrari. If I could give my Dodge Ram a V10 viper engine that would be cool or put a lager motor into my Camaro, but this feature is just going to be abused with over use or stupidity.

If you can do it in real life then bring it on I say!

It sounds like a great idea, as long as the swaps are realistic, based on cars from the manufacturer or possible without changing it's shape, and do not produce overpowered PP specs. Cost of engine swaps would be varied based on the improvements in PP and power (the more the performance improvements, the more expensive it will cost)

Examples of realistic manufacturer swaps like:
2003 Viper's 8.3L V10 in a Ram (Ram SRT10)
Accord Euro-R engine in a Odyssey (JDM Honda Odyssey "Absolute")
Cadillac CTS-V engine in a 09 Camaro (Camaro ZL1)
VW Golf Mk4 GTi Engine in the VW New Beetle 2.0 (2006-2010 VW New Beetle)

Other realistic swaps that are not a official production tune but can work without overpowering the car include:
K20 Civic engine from the 08' Civic in a 91-95 EG Civic
Rotary from the FD RX7 Spirit R in a FC RX7.
Challenger SRT-8 engine in a 1970 Dodge Challenger
R34 Skyline GT-R engine in a R31 Skyline GTS-R
SLR McLaren engine in a C63 AMG

I like realistic engine swaps in Gran Turismo, but I won't support crazy swaps like a Lamborghini Gallardo engine in a VW Golf or Ferrari 458 engine in a Fiat 500.
IRL anything is possible, for sure, that doesn´t mean it would make sense in a game like GT. If they were to implement the idea of engine swap they could simply look at what´s common, and put the basics from there. Like your suggestions, a realistic swap would be SRT-8 engines in a Charger, even a Cuda or 300C. But discussions beginn here, what about the Prowler, the Dodge Neon? IMO that´s already over the limits, at least the Neon, maybe Prowler would be ok... hmmm

Having to decide that for 1200+ cars could be time consuming...
And I didn´t even talk about drivetrains.

I don´t support the OP´s suggestion, making it possible for all cars would be a reason to completely abandon online mode, for me at least! We all know what would happen there. Take the Daihatsu Mira as an example, pre 1.02 version you could tune this thing up to some 600something bhp... it was a lot of fun, no doubt. But a few weeks later it would´ve become the most annoying troll car, I´m sure. Although I miss this car, I agree it was the right decision to alter the specs with v1.02.

Imagining the sheer chaos the OPs suggestion would produce, I start to shiver.

Last edited:
It surely wouldn't be difficult for PD to implement this into the game. I was already extensively done by modders in GT5. All they need to do is systematically go through every car in the game and decide which engines would be appropriate to swap into the engine bay. for example, the Nissan Silvias are very well-known to accept any RB, VG, or VQ engine as well as LS blocks. Just make every Skyline, Z, Corvette and Camaro engine available. Simple as that.

I think even engines from across manufacturers should be allowed to swap, as long as they fit. Also, transmissions should be included. I've never heard of an LS1 RX-7 with a stock transmission. It would never bolt up. But transplant the LS1 V8 and the Tremec 6-speed out of a 2000 Camaro SS and the swap is doable! Also, the curb weight and overall balance should be changed to reflect a heavier or lighter engine being swapped. An LS1 MX-5 would handle a lot differently than a standard B6 or even a 13B MX-5.

As far as drivetrain swaps, I am against converting FFs into FRs and vice-versa. I do, however, like the idea of converting FFs to 4WD, as long as there is a similar model that uses the same or similar chassis and transmission setup but adds a drive shaft and rear diff. For example, utilize the drivetrain components from a Honda Element into an EK Civic or DC5 Integra. But no one should be able to make a Corvette or GT86 into a 4WD. Also, I think some select FF cars may also be able to convert to MR, much like the Renault Clio and the Renault Clio Sport 24v. Simply move the entire powertrain to the rear seat section. Maybe limit this to a few hot-hatches like the VW GTI.

Here are some links:
V8 FD RX-7
4WD Civic
MR Golf

Last edited:
It surely wouldn't be difficult for PD to implement this into the game. I was already extensively done by modders in GT5. All they need to do is systematically go through every car in the game and decide which engines would be appropriate to swap into the engine bay. for example, the Nissan Silvias are very well-known to accept any RB, VG, or VQ engine as well as LS blocks. Just make every Skyline, Z, Corvette and Camaro engine available. Simple as that.
It's clear you dont know what the hell you're talking about.. You dont know nothing about mechanics!!! The RB/Silvia swap is very, very dificult, you need to even modify the cars firewall and transmision tunnel to be able to eaven fit that big inline six engine let alone a VQ or LS :odd:... A more popular swap could be any civic with an integra engine o a K series, or swaping a rotary engine into any small oldschool car like the nissan 1600 delux or the mitsubishi lancer!
also the same nissan 1600 or later silvias with the modern SR20det.

What I meant, is that they are popular swaps, e.g. well-known. They don't require the whole front end to be reconstructed to accept the engine, like the V10 E30 shown here. I've heard of all kinds of engines ranging from a 1JZ to an LS3 without costing crazy money.

I think even engines from across manufacturers should be allowed to swap, as long as they fit.

While I did think that at first, but then every noob in the land would be driving around in Veyron-powered cars. If there were cross-manufacturer engine swaps, it should be limited to engines like the 2JZ, RB26, LS1, etc.

While I did think that at first, but then every noob in the land would be driving around in Veyron-powered cars. If there were cross-manufacturer engine swaps, it should be limited to engines like the 2JZ, RB26, LS1, etc.

I doubt the Veyron engine would realistically fit in any street car anyway. I do agree there should be a create engine warehouse though.

Or, you could change the FF Scion TC (not in game), which is based of the same platform as the 4WD Toyota Avensis, and convert the Scion to RWD.

I don't think it would be wise to convert a car with a transverse mounted engine to RWD. Although technically achievable, it's silly and keeps most of the powertrain weight over the front axle.

As for engines in the warehouse, I can see a small collection of limited selections for certain cars. Like a Honda K20 or Nissan SR20DE for small cars like the Honda Fit or OG Mini Cooper. For old school 4 cylinder FR cars like the Nissan Bluebird, a Honda F20C, MAzda 13B, or Nissan SR20DET. Larger FR cars like the MX-5, RX-7, Supra, and Silvia can receive a larger array of engines like the LS1, 2JZ, RB26DETT, 20B, Coyote 5.0, and Hemi 6.1L.

In GT5, one of the favorite cars I built was a Hemi- powered MX-5 I dubbed the Hemiata. That car was AMAZING. I'd love to legitimately build that again in GT6.

Last edited:
I don't think it would be wise to convert a car with a transverse mounted engine to RWD. Although technically achievable, it's silly and keeps most of the powertrain weight over the front axle.

As for engines in the warehouse, I can see a small collection of limited selections for certain cars. Like a Honda K20 or Nissan SR20DE for small cars like the Honda Fit or OG Mini Cooper. For old school 4 cylinder FR cars like the Nissan Bluebird, a Honda F20C, MAzda 13B, or Nissan SR20DET. Larger FR cars like the MX-5, RX-7, Supra, and Silvia can receive a larger array of engines like the LS1, 2JZ, RB26DETT, 20B, Coyote 5.0, and Hemi 6.1L.

In GT5, one of the favorite cars I built was a Hemi- powered MX-5 I dubber the Hemiata. That car was AMAZING. I'd love to legitimately build that again in GT6.
I would love to see an Escudo powered Cappuccino! That would be insane, but the long gearbox of the cappuccino might make the power band more accessible.

I would love to see an Escudo powered Cappuccino! That would be insane, but the long gearbox of the cappuccino might make the power band more accessible.

I think racing engines should be ruled out, unless the car is already a high performance model. Maybe there should be a PP cap on straight swaps, w/o modifications. That way, the n00bs don't throw RB26DETTs into Nissan Bluebirds aka Datsun 510s like in Forza 4

Last edited:
Here is an Opel Kadett E (Vauxhall mk2 Astra) with an RB26 Skyline engine

Attachments

• IMG_14318242706320.jpeg
    IMG_14318242706320.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 179
I think racing engines should be ruled out, unless the car is already a high performance model. Maybe there should be a PP cap on straight swaps, w/o modifications. That way, the n00bs don't throw RB26DETTs into Nissan Bluebirds aka Datsun 510s like in Forza 4
Either that, or give us a "Road Legal" option in the lobby to rule out racing engine swaps for that lobby.

The RB26DETT is the engine from a road car, putting it in a 510 would be stupid, but it would work. Putting it in an S-Chassis or a Z31 however, would be good.

I've actually seen a VG30DETT transplanted into a 510. There was ZERO room left in the engine bay, but it fit. I've also heard of small block Chevy engines being swapped back in the day. But like I said, there should be a PP cap for swapping engines. If the car was originally 350 pp without modification, perhaps it should only be limited to 450 pp after the swap, without modification. That offers a wide range of engines like an SR20DET, F20C, 13B, or maybe even a 305ci Chevy or 302ci Ford. All with their own distinct advantages and disadvantages with torque curves, tuning ceilings and weight changes.

Back