Exclusive photos from the studio Polyphony Digital from Japan

• Thread starter Dionisiy
  • 199 comments
It's the Yellowbird. Factory 911s of the time had the blackish rubber strip on the front bumper and the Yellowbird doesn't.

Well, we now know when to expect the Bathurst announcement

Polyphony Digital president Kazunori Yamauchi still won't confirm the inclusion of Australia's most famous race car track in the next Gran Turismo release, but has signalled an announcement around the time of this year's Bathurst race.

Despite sightings of engineers mapping the track last year, Yamauchi still won't officially confirm the track's inclusion in Gran Turismo 6 – which is scheduled to be released for the PlayStation 3 in Australia on December 6.

"I've heard the rumours," he joked, "We haven't announced that yet."

"Australia is still coming out of the winter, we are hoping that we might be able to make some kind of announcement around the time it becomes racing season."

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-li...an-turismo-6-announcement-20130918-2txy0.html

Great news... So it's definitely as good as confirmed now. Seems like the 12 Hour race is in February so I hope it's confirmed before then. When's the start of the season, before GT6 comes out? Because I hope it's in the game from day one rather than DLC, but worst case having the track at all is great. Although it was a drawback having Spa just as a free run and online track without having any offline events. I want to race on Bathurst in career mode.

Great news... So it's definitely as good as confirmed now. Seems like the 12 Hour race is in February so I hope it's confirmed before then. When's the start of the season, before GT6 comes out? Because I hope it's in the game from day one rather than DLC, but worst case having the track at all is great. Although it was a drawback having Spa just as a free run and online track without having any offline events. I want to race on Bathurst in career mode.

"This years Bathurst race" to me sounds like the Bathurst 1000, which is in a few weeks.

I really don't get the point of model cars. Aren't they supposed to model the cars in real life, record the sound and get other data?

Or were they used in GT1 to GT4?

Last edited:
I really don't get the point of model cars. Aren't they supposed to model the cars in real life, record the sound and get other data?

Those are model cars they've used since the beginning of GT. Doesn't mean they still do.

Wasn't there a premium model that had written underneath the model label? Or was it a standard, I can't remember.

True, but many people here on the site work in software as well, and do have an understanding of how an audio or synthesis engine should work (or in my case: wrote them). When it comes to optimal efficiency, there are usually not a whole lot of ways to do it right (e.g. many ways lead to Rome, but only one is fastest), so it's safe to make assumptions about it.

Not only that, much of the filtering, leveling and panning can be done on the audio rendering buffer as a whole, rather than individual samples. Which means you can leverage an extended instruction set (if present) to perform vector-based operations on the whole buffer rather than using the primary instruction set to do scalar operations on individual samples (e.g. SSE on Intel based processors). Not sure if this also applies to the Cell processor BTW, but most definitely for Intel and ARM based CPUs, where vectorized operations easily can be an order of magnitude faster.

Absolutely, and the Cell's main (some would say only) trick is its parallel computing potential in the SPEs. Granted, there's a lot of involved hand-holding and manual scheduling and stuff, but there are people who positively salivate at the prospect of such challenges. It's that which may have attracted PD to be so bold in revamping their sound engine in the first place (e.g. there's some genuinely clever buffer management involved with the simulation of transmission delay - try it, there are very interesting challenges, at least for someone like me.)

Having only ever, er, "schematically" constructed my own engine sound synthesis-y things (rather than fiddling with the nuts-and-bolts of the buffer and operation management etc.) using high-level, even abstract, "languages", I'm not well placed to comment on exactly how the numbers are fed to the hardware.

I am aware of computational (and memory) cost and the compromises and "engineering" required to get such systems running, though, and I think in an algorithmic context about this stuff all the time. I'm very impressed that you've coded your own sound engine; all of my stuff is horribly inefficient because of the abstract nature of the languages I use (and my lazy, brute-force schemes). :)

Wasn't there a premium model that had written underneath the model label? Or was it a standard, I can't remember.

Almost makes you wonder if the US and European market cars were in large part modeled via DieCasts since they would be hard to come by in Japan...So could what is available in the game be in small part due to die cast model availability? Or am I reading to much in to this? LOL

Or were they used in GT1 to GT4?

Its really helpful for an 3D artist to have some physical reference.

For example, you want to paint a rose. Having a picture of a rose would be very helpful but having an actual rose in your hand, that you can turn and look at it from any direction would be even better.
Of course You can't put a car on you desk, nor can you pick it up and rotate it at will. Therefore they use model kits.

A team of PD goes around the makes pictures/measurements of the cars. They give those data and the pictures to the 3D Artists who will make the models. The Artist himself will most probably never see most of the cars in real life. Those model kits help him to puzzle the pictures together.

Last edited:
Its really helpful for an 3D artist to have some physical reference.

For example, you want to paint a rose. Having a picture of a rose would be very helpful but having an actual rose in your hand, that you can turn and look at it from any direction would be even better.

I am sure most 3D artists at PD never saw some of the cars they have created in real life. They used pictures, videos and those model kits.
I was going to say that's not possible, but then I remembered that they send people out to go take pictures and video and all that extra work while the modelers work their magic at the HQ. For tracks, I really can't be sure. A mixture of the two?

I was going to say that's not possible, but then I remembered that they send people out to go take pictures and video and all that extra work while the modelers work their magic at the HQ. For tracks, I really can't be sure. A mixture of the two?

I edited my post to make myself more clear.

For tracks they most probably use, besides the pictures, on site measurements, GPS/Google earth data, Videos (like the Nürburgring video in the GT5 ending), maybe even scanner/laser data and so on.

All in all its really a lot of work. When I see how long I work on a car model, I think the 6 month for a car and 1-2 years for a track are fairly reasonable figures.

"This years Bathurst race" to me sounds like the Bathurst 1000, which is in a few weeks.

Oh, that's great then. Early October, not bad at all. That pretty much clears my worries of Bathurst being DLC. I was hoping to see it at TGS but honestly since we know that it's obviously going the be in the game, that's good enough for me. Looks like TGS won't be the last news/announcement time for GT6 so that's pretty cool.

As for the other Australian location, I'm sure it's probably a course maker locale or perhaps a street circuit like Madrid or Rome. But personally, I'd love to see Adelaide in GT. Great circuit and it's a shame it's off the F1 calendar. Next in line I wouldn't mind Albert Park either, although I'd take Adelaide over it in a second.

Far right third down

Porsche or RUF?

I was about to point out that legacy :)

If only the badge was distiguishable...

It's the Yellowbird. Factory 911s of the time had the blackish rubber strip on the front bumper and the Yellowbird doesn't.

Definitely not a yellowbird, the bumper is all wrong. Here's the 'bird:

I4knmyU.jpg

The biggest key in identifying the car is the lack of the turn signal, having been replaced by an air port (or whatever you'd call it). While this part can appear on many modified 964's it only came on one from the factory... that being the Porsche 964 Carrera RS.

QxNEjBS.jpg

And given that most model kit companies don't typically tend render one-off garage-built tuned cars in plastic, I'm guessing that's a Porsche. That doesn't mean it'll be in GT, as EA doesn't hang out in front of PD's studios batting Porsche model kits out of PD designer's hands.

If it was a Ruf, though, it'd be the RCT EVO Coupe:

jEZ3008.jpg

However, a look online shows that the majority of them have the normal corner lamps in place, so it's unclear if these vents were added later by the owner or were an available option by Ruf. Here's an identical RCT EVO with the normal corner lamps.

2wHkaW1.jpg

So I'd say it's far more likely to be a Porsche than the Ruf. Note that, while it's hard to really tell, it doesn't appear that the car in the image has the RCT EVO's lip spoiler. Again though, it's hard to tell.

Last edited:
The car is indeed a Porsche, I've seen it before, a black colored box with yellow Porsche, I think it's a Fujimi model kit. This :

Porsche 911 3.8 Carrera RS-R 1:24 Fujimi
10001053.jpg

The instagram picture shown the box from the side. PD employees seems to prefer Fujimi model kits, most of the model kits on the picture are Fujimi.

:ouch: Double post :grumpy:

Last edited:
As a few noted about the mention of "Environment" I'm going to take a guess that this will be the second Australian we'll get.

fjs6o7Q.jpg

My second guess would be a fictional street circuit à la London, Madrid, Rome, etc.

The car is indeed a Porsche, I've seen it before, a black colored box with yellow Porsche, I think it's a Fujimi model kit. This :

Porsche 911 3.8 RSR 1:24 Fujimi
10001053.jpg

I knew it! :sly:

Just use the Edit button next time? 👍

all of my stuff is horribly inefficient because of the abstract nature of the languages I use (and my lazy, brute-force schemes). :)
That's exactly how my stuff started out too. :D But before you know it, it has expanded into a full blown synthesizer engine with FX, sequencer, etc. :lol:

But anyway, that's a bit off topic for this discussion.

The instagram picture shown the box from the side. PD employees seems to prefer Fujimi model kits, most of the model kits on the picture are Fujimi.

Goes to check what American cars are made by Fujimi lol

Short article.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-20-inside-the-house-of-cars

:lol: Just :D
[+3MB photo]
http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/1/6/4/8/9/DSC_0055.JPG.jpg
This three-screen set-up is where Yamauchi spends hours training before big races, piling the miles on around the Nordschleife in preparation for the 24 hours. I thought it was interesting that most of the wheels in the office were Logitech Driving Force Pros, and there wasn't one of the upmarket Thrustmaster T500s in sight. Force feedback will be improved for those wheels, Yamauchi said, but unfortunately it seems that clutch control won't. Yamauchi thinks that it's hard to replicate proper clutch control unless you have force feedback on that third pedal as well as on the shifter itself.

If only I had the money...

Last edited:
Force feedback will be improved for those wheels, Yamauchi said, but unfortunately it seems that clutch control won't.

This sounds worrying. Does this mean the clutch in GT6 will be the same stubborn mess like in GT5?

DSC_0092.JPG.jpg

Lot of F1 cars on the left side there, 2nd row, as well as the top row middle. Lotus 99T, McLaren MP4/4, MP4/5B, MP4/7, MP4-12, MP4-13, Ferrari F310B, 312T3, Williams FW07, Brabham BT50.

Also an F50 in the bottom left... Please tell me that's in the game.

Last edited:
You people are aware that Polyphony has owned these models (including some 911 GT1s) since before 2006, right? The models don't mean anything.

Why are you getting into a tizzy again?

Latest Posts

Back