Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo wheel: Test

• Thread starter cdcdude
  • 436 comments
Midnight Club LA? Insidesimracing.tv had a review and seemed to work fine with the G25 and thus should work well with the 911 as well I hope :)? Arcade title through and through but I enjoy good arcade racers too

Midnight Club LA? Insidesimracing.tv had a review and seemed to work fine with the G25 and thus should work well with the 911 as well I hope :)? Arcade title through and through but I enjoy good arcade racers too
If you like arcade titles try GRID. Graphics and in-car view are amazing, and TONS of tracks. Of course the physics are nothing close to reality, but it is a fun game with the wheel. Lots of wheel adjustments as well to fine tune it.

I already tried GRID. Controls and force feedback was better on PC then the PS 3 demo though. Overall worth the money though the "real tracks" was just disaster particularly Le Mans. But yeah first decent codemasters since Colin McRae 2. But as mentioned the only racing title on PS 3 that interests me now is Midnight Club LA.

You have it then? Test Drive Unlimited on PC works great with a wheel :). It´s actually one of the games where they put some effort into the PC port with a PRO mode as well.

I do run most arcade games with wheel as well even Sega Rally Revo ;)... GTA was just to bulky though.

btw I noticed something today. Drove Crowne Plaza (free track addon for Race 07) in first a SEAT and then a Honda... Crowne Plaza is pretty much a constant of long long very fast corners. I noticed that while cornering the wheel wanted at times to sharply turn more. Either because of force feedback or loss of force feedback?

Theory? It gets hot and disengange the force feedback motors for a split second??? It works fine on other tracks with the same cars. I also tried the Camaro at Crowne Plaza. That is quite funny because you jerk the wheel left and right all the time... Couldn´t detect the same behaviour here but it´s nervous by default. It felt just right though.

Never experienced this behaviour on another sim or another track so would be interesting if more try this see if they experience the same? From what I could tell the white light on was on at all time. I have it so I can spot it if I loose connection.

oqvist: TDU is a game that runs bad in my computer (really it runs with a low performance in a lot of computers), and don´t play it any more. But I don`t remember any PRO mode, and the wheel turn degrees and the control was poor.
I think this kind of games are not proper racing games. As the Midnight Club series, I see TDU a console ported game thought for analog pad playing.

Yes but have you PLAYED it... Everyone can guess. I know for sure it won´t work as flawlessly as in the PC sims but that doesn´t mean it won´t work :) TDU there was a patch that incorporates these features... Maybe some performance enhancements as well you could try. It run okay on my computer on max settings so I didn´t have that problem :)

I don't have a problem recommending Ferrari Challenge now that the latest update has fixed the wheel "deadzone" issue. The variety of tracks & online options are far superior to GT5P & the physics, while less detailed than GT5P, have a very nice feel to them & far more challenging & realistic than GRID.

I don't have a problem recommending Ferrari Challenge now that the latest update has fixed the wheel "deadzone" issue. The variety of tracks & online options are far superior to GT5P & the physics, while less detailed than GT5P, have a very nice feel to them & far more challenging & realistic than GRID.
Didn't know there was an update. I'll have to check my version this weekend. Thanks for the tip. Got any links that show details about the update?

Ah – there's an update for FC? I didn't know as I found it so useless that I've not touched it since summer!

I got GT5P and was happy for a while, then decided between FC and Grid.

I chose FC and immediately regretted it, so went out and got Grid. Grid is not realistic, but is better to play than FC, IMO. Soon got bored with it though.

Put the GT5P disk in the PS3 again and it was like a breath of fresh air:

– elegant, self-explanatory interface (the others are totally useless in comparison – an insult for the money you pay)

– gorgeous, life-like graphics, that make the others seem really pathetic

– vast and easily accessible choice of things to do or what and where to drive.

Have not been tempted to put FC or Grid in again. Will give the FC update a try when I feel in the mood, but not holding out much hope!

Roll on the full version of GT5!

Ah – there's an update for FC? I didn't know as I found it so useless that I've not touched it since summer!

I got GT5P and was happy for a while, then decided between FC and Grid.

I chose FC and immediately regretted it, so went out and got Grid. Grid is not realistic, but is better to play than FC, IMO. Soon got bored with it though.

Put the GT5P disk in the PS3 again and it was like a breath of fresh air:

– elegant, self-explanatory interface (the others are totally useless in comparison – an insult for the money you pay)

– gorgeous, life-like graphics, that make the others seem really pathetic

– vast and easily accessible choice of things to do or what and where to drive.

Have not been tempted to put FC or Grid in again. Will give the FC update a try when I feel in the mood, but not holding out much hope!

Roll on the full version of GT5!

We're all familiar with the things that the GT5P excels at: amazing graphics & excellent, detailed physics However, the offline racing is still very poor with primitive AI & arcadey "mission" racing. The online, as far as it goes, is great, but is severely compromised by the limited track selection, region coding, lack of private rooms etc, etc.

FC isn't a fraction of the game GT5 will presumably be when it (eventually!) arrives, but in the interim, it offers good physics, reasonable graphics & a great selection of tracks with decent offline AI & a full range of online options that make for fun & challenging racing. 👍

Yes but have you PLAYED it...
Yes, I played it.
I have tried again with the 1.66A patch. Really you can set a decent G25 control config, and a low assist level. But with all, the simulation level is very low (near none).

It run okay on my computer on max settings so I didn´t have that problem :)
I suposse you own a C2X system with two GFX 280 in SLI, at least.
In my computer (C2Q 6600, ATI 3650 256, 4 GB RAM), under Win XP (and ultra-optimized), to run the game at 40 fps I need to set 1280 x 720 (in a 1366 x 768 tv), 60 hz, normal detail (or high, is no diference here), HDR off, and AA off. To set AAx2 decrease 15 fps (or AAx4, also no diferences), and to set HDR decrease it 20 fps. But ever with v-sync on and forcing triple buffers, because this game has a high tearing level (Tearing Drive Unlimited, it must be called).

Is the worst optimized game ever.

But this is not a TDU threat... :)

Last edited:
I just bought Midnight Club LA... I must say it doesn´t impress by any means... How can all the review say it is a great arcade racer that have good graphics? It´s like playing San Andreas all over again :(.

I got the wheel to work but it´s really finicky with the interface. To change things in the options I have to reassign controllers and use the dual shock. Force feedback is weird it´s there sometimes and comletely missing otherwise. It does work with wheel and H-shifter even but it does feel a bit dead so it´s very basic support. But since you could adjust sensitivity with tweaking you can get decent settings. I have a hard time with the sixaxis ergonomics so it´s nice to use a wheel for that reason. Though I couldn´t run with automatic not with the H-shifter attached anyway will try with the sequential later :)

But well hopefully I find better cars later on that is more interesting to drive but TDU has a lot more soul and much more fun handling then this as well do GRID :)

Does anyone know what size the allen keys are for the bottom allen bolts? I am trying to remove the top cover but I don´t have an allen key for the two in the front holes.

Hey guys I am looking to buy new RS wheel since my G25 is getting old. At first I was really spectical about the Porsche wheel, now that RS is coming out as well it will come with new Pedals.

So far my quick question.

So the Porsche wheel comes with USB stick? DO I always need the stick to be pluged in in order to play GT5P? Sometimes I hear a story when new GT5P update comes out, Fanatec wheel needs and update as well in order to work. How does that whole system works?

Because in my G25, I can not update wheel for the PS3, or change settings or anything like that unless the GAME itself has features build in the software. On PC , I can change settins update it if needed, etc.

How does this work with Fanatec Porsche wheels?

Anyone knows EXACT US realse date for the new Porsche RS wheel? Does it come with everything, 6 speed shifter, Pedals with ABS, etc..

***************EDIT***************
http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_u...id=63&osCsid=43e4b78b96f20d0aa824810cad9dcbd7
So it's out on March 15th, just a couple of months away!!!

So it comes with .
Content:

* Force Feedback racing wheel with belt drive
* Clubsport Pedals
* USB cable to use pedals as stand alone product
* connection cable from wheel to pedals
* Quick guide
* Power supply
And thinks I need

Recommended accessories:

* Shifter set for Porsche wheels with sequential shifter and 6+1 shifter *** I do need it****

How long the shifter Cable is? I know standard Porsche wheel only came with only about 6 inch cable? If so I would just mod a longer cable.

You guys think since GT5P does not feature any Forece Feedback on Brake , will Fanatec Driver work ? what you guys think?

Last edited:
I'm probably going to pick up the RS wheel too. But I find it odd that it comes with the nice clubsport pedals but NOT the shifter... Weird.

Kinda sucks that it comes to around $500.00 USD after all said and done...

I'm probably going to pick up the RS wheel too. But I find it odd that it comes with the nice clubsport pedals but NOT the shifter... Weird.

Kinda sucks that it comes to around $500.00 USD after all said and done...

RS wheel and the pedals in one box cost $289.95

Shifter is only 50 dollars more..
not 500..

This link shows all the Fanatec Compatible for Xbox 360.. RS is not one of them
http://www.fanatec.de/html/pw_overview.htm

I actually think the Fanatec wheels are a pretty good buy - especially with all the flexible purchasing options. Am I right in thinking that the RS wheel is not any kind of "limited edition"? What does everyone think of the look of this wheel, with the "Alcantara" leather & the orange casing?

SRT really nailed that review... Except for saying it has 3 ffb motors and a vibration. It´s 1 FFB engine and 2 vibration motors. But every thought could be my own really otherwise :)

Umbra the GT 3 RS don´t have the wireless setup. You connect it via an usb cable just like the G25. Personally being afraid of everything wireless I find that an upgrade :D

As for setup in GT5P well you can adjust force feedback strength directly and can control the steering lock somewhat. Have to run force feedback 100 %. I don´t think this is a deal breaker though. G25 have the benefit of being able to run less steering lock then the Fanatec wheel though. I hope this is something they will update with newer drivers. It would help many arcade titles siince less steering lock better mimics gamepads. 180 is the minimum currently.

As for 500$ that is the approx real price for us european customers.

I do love the look on paper. Hope it looks as good in real use as well. It´s always nice though how it feels is what really matters in the long run.

Last edited:
yeah the software leaves alot to be desired.................I still have the beta wheel.Its great. They software isn't like I stated, also the wirelees pedals sometimes lag.But for beta testing & getting for free I love the wheel.I plan on getting the GT 3 w/club sport pedals. Seems odd that SRT just now did a review on the PTW. Unless it's an old episode as I don't always watch. I would have thought they would be reviewing the GT 3 w/ the new pedals. I'm waiting for that review. Although the will pimp anything on there.

Last edited:
Umbra the GT 3 RS don´t have the wireless setup. You connect it via an usb cable just like the G25. Personally being afraid of everything wireless I find that an upgrade :D

Yes I prefer WIRED over wireless. I really cant wait to buy and get the wheel.

RS wheel and the pedals in one box cost $289.95

Shifter is only 50 dollars more..
not 500..

This link shows all the Fanatec Compatible for Xbox 360.. RS is not one of them
http://www.fanatec.de/html/pw_overview.htm

Typo, I meant $400.

RS Wheel w/ Clubsport pedals: $290
Shifter: $50
Table clamp (another strange omission): $40

With shipping/tax that'll be over $400. Still kinda pricey. I'll likely get it anyway though.

I wont need the table clamp, I will use bolts to my playsteats evo chair.

About shifter.. It does not have any mountings except the two crappy bars? I would have to expand the cable and somehow mount it on my G25 extender.

lol, us europeans are paying 289.95 euro's = 384 dollars... nice one fanatec! 👎

Please keep in mind that in Europe we add VAT (19%) to the price and in the US you have to pay it separatly.

290€ minus VAT = 244€ = 320 USD

There is actually not much difference and currency exchange rate are fluctuating a lot.

Back