Fantasy Football 08/09

• Thread starter DQuaN
  • 185 comments
While I'm glad that Gallas didn't lose me any points on Saturday, the rest of my defence should've got clean sheets. However, for Aston Villa's second clean sheet in a row, Nicky Shorey wasn't playing. Again.

Was going to be conservative and keep my last 2 transfers for emergencies, but screw it.
With Arsenal going to Chelski this weekend, I can't have sulky Gallas in the team, and since Wes Brown & Gary Neville are out injured for ManUre it looks like John O'Shea will get a run in the side for a while.
With Gallas & Snorey
sleepgo.gif
gone I was able to bring in Laursen and O'Shea to my defence, and that's what I'm sticking with until January transfer window, since I've no choice now!!!

*Edit* Buck and Fuggery. Torres, the world's most fragile player, is out for 2 - 3 weeks. Again. :grumpy:
And now I'm stuck with him!!! :dunce:

Also, I've been progressively adding all the "I'm On Setanta Sports" videos into the YouTube Thread on a weekly basis. They're hysterical! Has anyone else been watching them or am I wasting my time?

Last edited:
Well this is 🤬

After 2 consecutive clean sheets for ManUre, I bought John "He's Big, He's Gay, He looks like Peter Kay" O'Shea for my fantasy team, since with Neville & Brown injured he's going to get a run out, right?

Wrong. Didn't play (except for last 2 minutes) against Man City last weekend, and now doesn't even make the bench for the Sunderland game today, after playing in the Carling Cup midweek.

Hopefully with Evra's 4 match ban looming he'll maybe get back in the side, possibly. Do you think? :boggled: Knowing my luck probably not. They'll play Tomas Kusczak or Carlos Tevez at left back instead or something equally preposterous!! :grumpy:

Torres out for next 4 weeks and Robinho out injured today I'm left with barely any players actually on the pitch this weekend. :(

Last edited:
I thought this weekend was a bad one for me so far, with Gallas not playing (switched him for Toure at 2.59, but don't think it will count!), and bloody Blackburn scored to deny me 6 points for having two Liverpool defenders in my team now (and I switched Gerrard for Carragher too :ouch: )

But Vidic has scored in the last minute for Sunderland, bagging me a cool 9 points from that game :D So I'm happy again...

Luckily I left enough transfers to be able to account for all these injuries. Atleast in the next couple of weeks we get unlimited transfers...

Well this is 🤬

After 2 consecutive clean sheets for ManUre, I bought John "He's Big, He's Gay, He looks like Peter Kay" O'Shea for my fantasy team, since with Neville & Brown injured he's going to get a run out, right?

Wrong. Didn't play (except for last 2 minutes) against Man City last weekend, and now doesn't even make the bench for the Sunderland game today, after playing in the Carling Cup midweek.

Hopefully with Evra's 4 match ban looming he'll maybe get back in the side, possibly. Do you think? :boggled: Knowing my luck probably not. They'll play Tomas Kusczak or Carlos Tevez at left back instead or something equally preposterous!! :grumpy:
Big Gay John should be playing at right back. Johnny Evans and Vidic have never played thier for us so I can't see them suddenly being put there and O'Shea get's forwards a bit when he plays a left back so he's the logical choice. Unless ofcourse Fabio has recovered from his operation, Fergie miht be tempted to give him a run of games since he's an attacking left back like Evra and like Rafael is on the opposite wing. Knowing your luck Fabio will be fit and Fergie will play him instead.

Have to offer congratulations to Omnis for this weekend's bumper points haul! 31 :eek: taking him up into 2nd place behind our runaway leader!

I'm still sneaking up on the rest of you slowly, but having 2 injured strikers and no transfers left doesn't help too much! :irked:

Predictably this week's I'm On Setanta Sports episode was a "Roy Keane Exclusive!" :lol:
Also Jose declares: "I am Champion of Champion losers winning Champions!" with regards to Inter Milan's loss to Panathinaikos and yet still guaranteeing qualification for the round of 16. :confused:

Last edited:
This is just getting frustrating. Every time one of my players should have a good result, they somehow conspire not to. :confused:

Take today. ManUre vs. Tottenham. I'm praying for a 0 - 0 scoreline as it'll net me 7 points, provided "O'Shea The Seemingly Invisible" actually plays.
But, wait! Sod's Law is lurking like the Sod's Law Demon that it is.
O'Shea is on the field! Hurrah! 10 minutes in though and Jonathan "Clearly Not Made Of" Woodgate minces off the field after damaging his Alice Band in a fall and fails to earn his clean sheet bonus. :irked: Git. :grumpy:

Or Marouane Fellaini? Despite looking like "Mr. Williams" from "Enter The Dragon" with his excellent 'fro
afro.gif
, since arriving in my team, he's played 6 games, hit the woodwork 4 times, had 6 goalbound chances miraculously cleared from off the line and scored precisely no points. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Worst weekend evar for me, just 4 lousy points... Luckily for me, it seems everyone had a poor weekend, mostly because no single team managed to keep a clean sheet, which in my case wiped out about 18 points :ill:

Have to offer congratulations to Omnis for this weekend's bumper points haul! 31 :eek: taking him up into 2nd place behind our runaway leader!

Thanks! Shame I'm out of transfers, though. :(

Well, I'm back from Xmas vacation and was able to enjoy a feast of football at a reasonable hour (lunchtime onwards, as opposed to wee-hours of the morning as is usual) while my fantasy team, despite losing 3 players to injury (Torres, Woodgate & Laursen) has managed to bustle it's way up from 6th place to 3rd place in a month! :eek:

Anyway, it's free transfer season, so get rid of those misfiring misfits from your lineup and let's have an equally exciting second half to the season! 👍
(
psst.gif
Pssst Alex., Lassana Diarra has gone to Real Madrid and is enormously unlikely to score points from there!!)

I've also updated the I'm On Setanta Sports Season 2 Youtube Thread with The Special One's Christmas Message and The I'm On Setanta Sports Manager Of The Year 2008 episodes.

Happy 2009. Be Champions.

Im currently monitoring my team slowly as my Pc doesn't like the site. But hey :)

You might consider borrowing an internet connection & PC somewhere else to make your edits. Given that Fabreghastly is now out for the season you're definitely carrying one lame midfielder, and Walcott hasn't played for over a month since dislocating his shoulder. It's a shame to see you dropping so badly after such an awesome start. (Although as long as you're behind me, that's fine! :D)

Couple of last-minute changes for me after I discovered that two of my players are out this week (Gallas is injured, and Ireland is banned), so I had to make a couple of changes... my mate Stuart is gaining on me in the other league I am in, and would now be sitting in second if he were in our league, just two points ahead of Omnis! He's already taken 10 points out of my lead since the turn of the year.

I wonder how much Kaka is going to cost, and whether or not everyone is going to try and buy him :lol: If the price of players in the game was loosely based on reality, he should cost 18.3 million :D In reality, I think he will be about the same as Ronaldo, at about 9.0 million, so anyone thinking of buying him will have alot of restructuring to do...

He will be highly priced, but I doubt he will have the same kind of impact Ronaldo does. yet.

Lol, I fell for that too :(

Nick has taken second place from Omnis now :nervous:

In my other league, I think my mate Stu and I (top 2 in the league) scored exactly the same number of points tonight, thanks (ironically) to Stuart's top striker, Van Persie, doing the business in the last minute of the Everton v Arsenal game... although he'll get 3 points for Van Persie scoring, it will cost him a net minus one because he also has Lescott (who should have picked up 3 for a clean sheet, but now gets -1 for conceding a goal) :D

Lol, the opposite of my strategy :mischievous: I have got my team into a state where I can make one last round of changes (next week) and then hopefully that will be my 'tinkering' complete...

I am needing a Liverpool win later, in order to claw back a few points after a lousy day yesterday... Nick's choice of Aston Villa defenders paid dividends again yesterday, and my stop-gap keeper Jaaskeleinen cost me dearly...

Anyway, 1-0 to Liverpool later today would do me just fine ;)

Damnit. Gerrard out for 3 weeks, so I made a couple of subs for the week, only to discover that TM is sneakily hoping that I can't pull up to him by selecting almost the same team as me. :grumpy:

Haha, leader's privelege ;)

I'm going to have to keep Gerrard as I've made too many changes already, but I'm pretty happy with my team at the moment otherwise :D

Last edited:
@ DQuaN: Notice you finally made some changes to your team this week, however, you still appear to have overlooked the fact that one of your midfielders, a certain Lassana Diarra, is currently playing for Real Madrid! You might want to swap him too! ;)

Not a bad week for me so far, 6 points a piece from Everton & Aston Villa games, a clean sheet for Chelsea too and a win for Liverpool (Come on you Reds!) which cost a lot of you points as they conceded a couple of goals too! 👍

Would love a 0 - 0 draw for Wet Spam vs. ManUre and a 3 - 3 draw for Tottenham vs. Arsenhole with a Samir Nasri hatrick set up by RVP tomorrow! :D

Last edited:
Disasterous weekend for me :grumpy:

My mate Stuart will have taken about 12 points off me, halving my lead... all of his full backs scored 3 points (Wigan, Tottenham, Man U, Chelsea) and he got two goals (Arteta, Agbonlahor) on top of that, whereas I got practically diddly squat... going to have to rethink having Robinho upfront too.. he's fast becoming a liability.

@ DQuaN: Notice you finally made some changes to your team this week, however, you still appear to have overlooked the fact that one of your midfielders, a certain Lassana Diarra, is currently playing for Real Madrid! You might want to swap him too! ;)

Cheers for that, totally forgot!

I haven't really been paying attention this season!

Anyone else having difficulties with the Rock'n'Roll Fantasy Football site today? I can't get it to load from my laptop or BlackBerry. :boggled:

I'm going to make changes too as I'm sure is everyone else, especially those with Adebayor in their teams as it looks like he's the latest victim of a hamstring pull and likely to be out for weeks.

Yeh, it's not loading for me either... won't be able to make changes until tomorrow anyway, most likely... but I am a bit stimied anyway because I have already made 7 changes since the turn of the year :ill:

Bit of an arse really, I'd got a transfer remaining for this week, and was hoping to sneak that in as well as 3 more for next week to do what I had deviously planned to do, a) to hopefully avoid having too many of the same players as you, and b) to hopefully catch and overhaul you in the remaining 13 weeks. :sly:

Latest Posts

Back