Fantasy Football 08/09

• Thread starter DQuaN
  • 185 comments
I might sign up for that 👍

I have somehow scored more points than my closest rival in my other league, despite my original calculations putting me something like 10 points down on hime this weekend... I've just had a look and seen that he was denied 3 points for Corluka because he was subbed off 1 minute before qualifying for a clean sheet bonus :lol: I also got atleast two assists I didn't know about, and his goalie wasn't playing either...

edit: DOH! My arithmetic is pants... he scored 9 points more than me this weekend (24!), and it could have been alot worse :nervous:

Last edited:
Bummer, thought I'd gained 5 points on TM this week, but it turns out to be only 3. Seems Carlos Cuellar was subbed off at halftime in the Villa game meaning I didn't get his clean sheet bonus, just a 1 point appearance. :grumpy:

Anyway, I now have a devious masterplan to be executed in 3 simple transfers, but I'm going to wait until after TM's next tinkering to set mine in stone so that I don't end up with an identical team and norfolk'n'hope of catching him. :sly:

I must admit, I did a little jig when Cuellar was subbed off... :lol:

I have hatched a plan this morning, and it involves making 4 changes... I'd like to point out that none of the 4 potentially incoming players are currently in either of my two closest rivals' teams (so if and when this turns out to be a master stroke, I'll have no accusations of copycat signings :sly: ) Of course, my plans are subject to change depending on injuries, suspensions, and whether or not certain existing players pull their Brazilian finger out :D

Last edited:
I must admit, I did a little jig when Cuellar was subbed off... :lol:

Git. :irked:

...and whether or not certain existing players pull their Brazilian finger out :D

You know if he does that he'll get red-carded and suspended for 3 games, right?!!! :P (Unless you're an Argentinian midget! :grumpy:)

Since there's only 1 Premier League game this coming weekend, Pompey vs. Abu Dhabi Man City I'm tempted to leave things as is for now, and given that there's a midweek ManUre vs. Fulham game after that I'm temped to leave my team unchanged until the following weekend.

It's definitely turned into a 2 horse race for the top, almost everyone else seems to have lost interest, and are carrying lame players in their team:

DQauN: Lassana Diarra who has gone to Real Madrid and now Emanuel Adebayor who is hamstrung for the next 3 weeks at least.

Only_in_f1: Armand Traore who is now on loan at Birmingham City for 3 months, Theo Walcott who has played no part in an Arsenal game since 15th November when he dislocated his shoulder and Cesc Fabregas who is out for the rest of the season after rupturing his cruciate ligament.

Alex.: Theo Walcott who has played no part in an Arsenal game since 15th November when he dislocated his shoulder and Patrice Evra who has been missing from Man U's lineup since 14th January when he injured ligaments in his foot. (Man U have kept 4 Premier league clean sheets since then, and a potential 12 more points for you if you'd swapped Jaaskelainen for Van der Sar and put in a replacement fullback for example, not to mention the -4 points that Jaaskelainen has scored in that time! :eek:)

Omnis: Emanuel Adebayor who is hamstrung for the next 3 weeks at least.

Touring Mars: Steven Gerrard who is hamstrung for the next 2 weeks at least.

Time to get those transfers in folks! :D

:lol:

Since there's only 1 Premier League game this coming weekend, Pompey vs. Abu Dhabi Man City I'm tempted to leave things as is for now
Ditto ;)

Touring Mars: Steven Gerrard who is hamstrung for the next 2 weeks at least.
The difference with this is I am keeping Gerrard on purpose - I subbed Ireland out for two weeks due to his injury and ended up wasting 2 transfers for no gain whatsoever. Since Liverpool only have two matches until SG is due to return, I'm going to hang on to him 👍

The difference with this is I am keeping Gerrard on purpose - I subbed Ireland out for two weeks due to his injury and ended up wasting 2 transfers for no gain whatsoever. Since Liverpool only have two matches until SG is due to return, I'm going to hang on to him 👍

MrBurns.gif

"Excellent."

Actually, according to Scenario 4b, I could swap Gerrard out for the next two weeks and still bring him back in when he's playing again, and still have enough cash to make the other changes I have planned. It all depends on whether or not a replacement player will score any points, and justify the cost of an additional two transfers... tough call.

Just made a couple more changes. It seems Arsharvin isn't showing up in the list yet which is annoying as I was going to give him a run!

*edit*
He's down as a striker! I thought he was a midfield playmaker? :confused:

Last edited:
He's a bit of both, I think... I might have gone for him if he was a midfielder, but he'd have to be considerably cheaper (like 4.9m, rather than 6.9m :ill:)

Bold move there, Nick...!

Ditching the highest scoring player in the league for Twinkle Toes Ronaldo is a major gamble, which I sincerely hope doesn't pay off for you :lol: I was considering a similar move, however (although not involving Ronaldo), but I decided to stick with Fergie and Vidic as my two Man U representatives!

edit: I see you also had to ditch Lampard to shoe-horn Ronaldo into the team! He better be worth it, that's all I'm going to say :D

I've been in a quandary about what to do with my team, but atleast I now have some changes in hand over you! Most of my plans involve ditching Gerrard, and I'm reluctant to do that, even if he misses one or two more league games.

Still, as I have discovered to my cost in the past, holding on to too many changes is not worth it, you need to use them up while you can still hope to gain from them!

edit 2: It's been a slow day here at the lab, and I've been working out my options with a range of home-made statistical tests, and now I am more confused than ever! :lol:

Last edited:
Hehehe! I was hardly likely to get you wishing for me to overtake you was I?!!! :)

Had to take the gamble now. Was going to wait until you'd made your next moves, but with Fulham & Blackburn coming up for Man U, I figure they're going to score a few, and Ronaldo (as much as I hate him) is usually involved. I also believe their clean sheet record isn't going to last much longer which isn't going to benefit Vidic.

Thankfully this leaves me with only 4 of the same players as you, and a team that you cannot match quickly or easily without using a lot of transfers. There's only 1 way I can catch up to you and that's to have points-scoring players while yours aren't scoring. :sly:

Ronaldo is now up to 2nd in the Premier league scoring charts, alongside Robinho, and having see the Brazilian's woeful display for the 3rd or 4th weekend in a row, it was time to give him the chop!

Hehehe! I was hardly likely to get you wishing for me to overtake you was I?!!! :)

Had to take the gamble now. Was going to wait until you'd made your next moves, but with Fulham & Blackburn coming up for Man U, I figure they're going to score a few, and Ronaldo (as much as I hate him) is usually involved. I also believe their clean sheet record isn't going to last much longer which isn't going to benefit Vidic.

Thankfully this leaves me with only 4 of the same players as you, and a team that you cannot match quickly or easily without using a lot of transfers. There's only 1 way I can catch up to you and that's to have points-scoring players while yours aren't scoring. :sly:

Ronaldo is now up to 2nd in the Premier league scoring charts, alongside Robinho, and having see the Brazilian's woeful display for the 3rd or 4th weekend in a row, it was time to give him the chop!

I was trying to squeeze Berbatov into my team, but it is unlikely - too many better options, but suffice it to say, Robinho's days are numbered. I told him that we are training in Argentina tomorrow evening, and I've booked him a ticket. What he doesn't realise, though, is that it is a single and nobody else is going :lol:

Perfect timing for the Ronaldo pick, however - I have to give you credit for that atleast!

Why didn't someone tell me we got new transfers?

Ahem, Post #72 onwards, discussed the 2 week free-transfer window in January (when you could've swapped your entire team in 1 move) and from then on I've been dropping huge hints to everyone like yourself, Dunc & Mike that transfer activity might be a good idea! ;)

The rules for the game on their website also say:
Free transfer activity until the beginning of the season
20 transfers between 16th August & Dec 31st
Free transfers for 2 weeks in January
20 transfers between mid-Jan & end of season.

Rachel is looking forward to catching you anyway! :P

Awesome! I dodged a few bullets tonight... Ronaldo produced nowt, and Vidic stayed on when he was expected to be substituted, plus he almost gave away penalty at the death... Berbatov got 3 points from the game, but Vidic got his 3, so I'm happy! :D

Ahem, Post #72 onwards, discussed the 2 week free-transfer window in January (when you could've swapped your entire team in 1 move) and from then on I've been dropping huge hints to everyone like yourself, Dunc & Mike that transfer activity might be a good idea! ;)

The rules for the game on their website also say:
Free transfer activity until the beginning of the season
20 transfers between 16th August & Dec 31st
Free transfers for 2 weeks in January
20 transfers between mid-Jan & end of season.

Rachel is looking forward to catching you anyway! :P

Yeah but I thought you were talking about the old transfers and I didn't hold your comments in any regard because I had used up all of mine. :lol:

Nick, you are on the ball ;)👍 I see you got rid of Cuellar and replaced him with Davies... smart move, although I am hoping for a Chelsea win at Villa Park this weekend, but preferably a 0-0 draw!

My plans were changing by the hour, but think I have settled on a strategy now, and it involves making one last "big" set of changes (actually two sets of changes, over two weeks) which still involve bringing four players into my team that neither of my main rivals have, and one who both have (I think it is pretty obvious who that is ;) )

Suffice it to say, Robinho might survive to see out this weekend, but unless he puts Liverpool to the sword single-handedly, he will most likely be gone by Monday. If, however, he cries off tonight against Copenhagen in the UEFA cup, I'll make Phase One of the switch tonight, in preparation for the weekend's fixtures :D

Last edited:
:lol:

I'm sorry, but I already invited Arteta for talks, and I impressed him with some tapas, fine Rioja and (wait for it!) Ferrero Rocher (greedy bugger ate the whole box, and I was saving some for... sorry, that would be telling ;) )

That said, he's not part of Phase One, but Phase Two... and Phase Two is not that likely to happen since I am quite content with my midfield as it is...

Meanwhile I am trying to implement Phase 14. How long until you get three more transfer slots?

You can only make a max of 3 changes in a week...

edit: Speaking of which, I changed my mind again and have now "rolled the dice"... I decided to drop Gerrard for the time being (even if he does come back this weekend, I don't think he'll be on for long) and stick Torres up front. I only made two changes, and with another two planned for next week, that should do me for a while ;)

Last edited:
Sorry :P Bolton have a run of semi-decent fixtures coming up, so he looks like a good buy. Unfortunately, my closest rival (only 22 points behind in my other league) has also taken on Taylor, a day before I did :irked:... however, I had decided to sign him a few days ago, but waited until Friday am before making a final decision on Gerrard, although Taylor was already in my sights either way (My mate Stuart has swapped Ireland for Taylor, though, which I think is a bad move!). I still have two/three players to bring in (depending on how things pan out in the next two fixtures) and Arteta is one of them, although the others would be unique to my team :D

Well that's buggered things up for a while and benefitted Chris. 👎
Saves you a transfer putting Arteta in your team. Stretchered off after just 7 minutes today with suspected ligament damage, so he'll be out for a good few weeks, no doubt. :grumpy:

I can't believe they've credited the wicked deflection on Craig Bellamy's goal as an Alvaro Arbeloa own goal! :irked: That's a 2 point goal-turned-assist for me instead of a 3 pointer.

Bosingwa's out for Chelsea's next game too. :rolleyes:

Well, Arteta's injury is little consolation to me - I've been following the scores avidly all weekend and am bitterly disappointed 👎 Stuart has gained atleast 8 points on me (and only if I get a Torres assist, which I'm not sure about - otherwise the damage is 10!), and I think you will still get 3 points on me (4 if Bellamy gets the goal rather than the assist), by virtue of Newcastle being so utterly crap, and Arbeloa ruining a clean sheet! I am praying for a Geovanni-related miracle tomorrow, but otherwise it looks like a bad weekend for Athletico Turismo :(

It's an overall stalemate for the week though. :indiff:
You gained 3 points on me on Wednesday night, I've gained them back today.
Torres does get the assist, as does Bellamy according to the Rock'n'Roll fantasy football site. Kuyt and Arbeloa O.G. are credited with the goals.

Yep, it looks like your Ronaldo v. Vidic move broke even already...

...however, I am really getting worried by Stuart's charge in the other league. At this rate, he will overtake me in the next two games :nervous:

Ironically, Torres didn't do what I wanted him to do, but still came away with 2 points, which is as good as any of our strikers managed this week, so I might just have to keep him. I've figured out that to keep him and have Gerrard is too much of a risk, and with Arteta out ("Oi, Mikel, I'll have those Ferrero Rochers back please :irked: ), it looks like I might have to get creative in the midfield... :ill:

edit: :ouch: Oh for fudge's sake, I just saw Lovenkrand's miss against Everton - how on Earth did he miss? That effectively cost me 4 points on both my closest rivals :(

edit 2:

How's this for a possible "dream team", made up of all the players that I've kicked out of my team already :ill:

Almunia (ARS)

L Young (AV)
Valente (EVE)

Carragher (LIV)
Richards (MC)

Mascherano (LIV)
Arteta (EVE)
Fabregas (ARS)
A Young (AV)

Anelka (CHE)
Defoe (POR)

Total Cost: £52.4 million