Fantasy Football 08/09

• Thread starter DQuaN
  • 185 comments
OK, I have made my changes for the week (and hopefully that will be me done for a while), and I broke my own rule of waiting until the last minute to make changes because a) I wanted to get my changes in first :P and b) I'm pretty certain that the rest of my team, barring perhaps the Liverpool players, will stay out of trouble until the weekend. I still have one change left, just incase Torres or Arbeloa get whacked tonight in the CL game against Real Madrid.

But anyway, I am hoping to stop the rot - only 16 points clear in one league, and 34 clear in this league - I had to get rid of Geovanni, despite the fact that replacing him was costly. He didn't even play at home against Tottenham (well, he came on for 5 minutes) so he had to go. With Arteta out, and with Bosingwa now surplus to requirements, I thought I'd blow the Bosingwa windfall on Tim Cahill before anyone else does :D

edit: CRAP! Torres is injured again... it seems a gust a wind caught him on the ankle :grumpy:

Last edited:
edit: CRAP! Torres is injured again... it seems a gust a wind caught him on the ankle :grumpy:

Yeah, he's become the world's most fragile player, as much as I love him for scoring a lot for Liverpool last year, 👍 this year he's been difficult to place any trust in with regards to playing more than a few games in a row, especially in Fantasy League terms, so I got shut of him early on. :(

Who's your replacement going to be?

Who's your replacement going to be?
:lol: Nice try...

...actually, I don't know... good thing is, I can afford just about anyone :dopey: I might have a punt on Jo of Everton, but perhaps Anelka or Drogba would be a wiser long term idea... either way, it looks like a certain Liverpudlian midfielder might be back in my team shortly after all...

:lol:

Last minute changes, Nick... playing your cards awfully close to your chest! My mate Stu did exactly the same thing, and both of you have made a shrewd move in taking Benitez while Man U are not in league action... very sly :mischievous:

Both of you have also doubled up on the Everton defenders, but methinks that strategy might have already back-fired, as Lescott isn't playing :lol:

I really need Middlesbrough and/or West Brom to score, but I don't think either is a likely scenario...

Last edited:
Yeah, considering it's 5am here, it's very late to have made changes! :scared:
Figured it's an advantage to have the manager "playing" an extra game, and given that Jones & Ronaldo aren't in action today I wanted to get as many players in action as possible. A little baffled by Lescott's omission, although he is apparently 1 yellow card away from a ban.
Didn't want to "give away" the manager move early on, although Rachel took my advice and did it yesterday!

Now watching the Everton vs. West Brom game, and am trying to figure out if we can simultaneously watch all 3 of the Arsenal, Chelsea & Liverpool games! :rolleyes:

A big stroke of luck for me that Lescott has been benched, but he could still score points a) if he comes on at half time and doesn't concede a goal (he'll score 1 point) and b) if (heaven forbid!) he scored a goal, which he's done before... either way, it was a clever move, and both you and Stu have been a bit unlucky, given that Lescott hasn't missed a game all season!

Liverpool are not too hot against Middlesbrough in recent years, so that will be the one to watch for me...

I decided to go for Anelka, after considering Jo too much of a risk and Bellamy as too, erm, unoriginal ;)

edit: Noooooo... Cahill has a goal disallowed :grumpy: (although it was a Baines assist!)

edit 2: Yessssss!!! Cahill has scored :D (although Baines got the assist!)

edit 3: ARSE! Arbeloa is out :grumpy: Now I really need a Middlesbrough goal :ill:

edit 4: Dare I say it, but today is looking good! Terry has scored for Chelsea, and now Middlesbrough have scored - and my Liverpool defender isn't playing :D

edit 5: Oh crap :grumpy: Was doing great until Chelsea conceded, and now Lampard has scored... I should be taking six points of Stuart today, and now it's none :indiff:

Last edited:
Well that was an utterly disasterous gamble. :mad:

Middlesborough who'd not won in 14 games against supposed title contenders Liverpool, so I brought in Carragher for a 3 point clean sheet and Benitez as a temporary manager (seeing as Ferguson misses this weekend) for a 3 point win. Turns out to be a waste of 2 transfers and nets me a real total of -1 point after the 2 - 0 loss. :irked:
Should've known better, I've been a Liverpool fan too long not to know that we can beat one of Europe's top sides midweek, then lose to mediocre bottom of the table Premiership opposition right afterwards, it's always the way. Should've gone with Hiddink & Terry. :grumpy:

Baines came in and did me proud for Everton, although I could've done with someone other than Cahill taking advantage of his assist :indiff: but I'm denied another 3 points as Lescott was benched. :ouch:

Lost 2 points to TM already. 👎

It's only "half-time" in the weekend's fixtures, and atleast you have both strikers still to play... I cannot believe that Van Persie hasn't scored one single, solitary, sodding point in three whole games - Anelka let me down again too.

Starting to run out of changes, though... and I am praying that Stuart's combo of Agbonlahor and Young don't score a hatful against Stoke tomorrow. That said, I've got Freidel and Barry to play tomorrow, and hopefully they will keep things balanced, but it's getting too close for comfort now.

Still, Van Persie is gone after the West Brom game 👎 I have someone in mind to replace, but it's a gamble... Gerrard looks like he is out again, too...

Only 1 striker will play for me, Sunderland don't have a fixture tomorrow.
Along with Portsmouth they're one of the sides that should've played either Tottenham or Man U who're engaged in the Cardboard Cup Final. :P

Ah, I keep thinking Jones is a Stoke player... :dunce:

I'm looking for a 0-0 between Villa and Stoke, I would steal a march (3 points) on my main rival in my other league... although that will play into the hands of yourself, SH, Matt Taylor has done the business again today so overall I think I will still be about 1 pt better off over the course of the weekend...

What I don't want is for Agbonlahor and/or Ashley Young to be creating or scoring any goals :ill:

edit: Oh crap :grumpy: 2 goals by Stoke in the last 5 minutes robs me of any advantage over Stuart this weekend (4 points)... and it has cost you very dearly, Nick :ill:

Last edited:
Yeah those results were a total bummer today, you've gained 5 points on me this weekend, and I'm left needing the same sort of miracle that Benitez needs to overcome United at the top of the pile. :( Sadly it's the inclusion of 2 of my own teams players that cost me too. :grumpy: I did debate Hiddink & Terry instead, but thought I'd best go with my loyalty as a Liverpool fan. :ouch:
It may be time for you to set the cruise control and coast home to victory! :lol:

I admit, I'm getting more hopeful of a win in our league, and am trying to keep it as "fair" as possible by trying to sign players solely on the basis of how I think they'll perform, and not because anyone else has them. That said, I did sign Van Persie largely because my nearest rival has him, and look how well that has paid off (zero points in three games! :rolleyes: ) Infact, I just realised that my striking duo has to be the worst I've seen, despite the fact that they should be among the best statistically!! (7 games without scoring a single point between them!!!)

I can't say I'd be too disappointed to finish 2nd, given my Luton/Bournemouth/Rotherham*-esque start to the season.
Just got to keep Omnis at bay. :nervous:

* delete as applicable :sly:

The battle between you and Omnis is as tight as the battle between Stuart and me in the other league... but there is certainly enough games left for it all the change big-style. Stuart has taken a double-figure chunk out of my lead a few times already, so it is all still to play for, even to a gap of 40-50 points I would say.

It looks like you might be out of luck on the Bellamy front, and you probably won't be allowed to make changes before the next set of games. If I am lucky, I might get to make one or two changes on Wednesday morning, I don't know... Van Persie and Anelka are both on "last chance status" already, although I am running out of ideas for people to replace them :indiff:

I've hatched a plan now, based on the pivotal signing of a mystery player, that could see me with a pretty awesome midfield by next week... unfortunately, it will take four transfers, but it only involves taking one player from any one of my closest rival's teams ;) Part one of the change will occur on Wednesday a.m (if I am allowed transfers by then). It's a bit of a gamble, but one that might just work out to be a master stroke!

Last edited:
You can only make 3 in any one week, so you will have to wait until about Thursday (since you made your changes on the 27th)... I made mine on the 25th, so I will hopefully get to make some changes on Wednesday, or perhaps tomorrow night...

:dunce: Sorry, it looks like I am wrong...

It doesn't matter when you make your changes, "game weeks" update independently. I just checked my team and we all have 3 changes available as of today...

So you can now get some changes in before the next round of Premiership games, three games tonight and the rest tomorrow...

Sorry for the bum steer 👎:indiff: I was planning to leave my team as is for the games tonight anyway (as I have a Chelsea and Arsenal striker) but will probably ditch them tomorrow morning 💡

Well I'm happy I switched out Cech for Terry. I also dropped Geovanni, as he hasn't put up points in weeks.

I got Cahill and Taylor based on their scores over the past couple weeks. They seem to be the hot ticket anyway. Admittedly, I'm going through this blind, as I don't have access to soccer news/broadcasts like you guys do in merry ol' England.

I kind of want to throw some weight behind Arshavin, but I'm not real happy about Arsenal strikers right now because they haven't been able to put points on the board.

Well I'm happy I switched out Cech for Terry. I also dropped Geovanni, as he hasn't put up points in weeks.

I got Cahill and Taylor based on their scores over the past couple weeks. They seem to be the hot ticket anyway.
Ditto to all of the above :lol:

I kind of want to throw some weight behind Arshavin, but I'm not real happy about Arsenal strikers right now because they haven't been able to put points on the board.
I'm giving Van Persie the benefit of the doubt, and Arshavin will start scoring I guess - either way, both are playing very well, just having no luck at the moment.

edit: I don't sodding believe this :grumpy: Anelka and Van Persie are both not playing tonight... 👎 And Arsenal have scored three already :rolleyes:

Well, it's official, I have the lousiest strikers possible at the moment... one shall bite the dust tomorrow for certain, the other will follow next week. I am heaving a sigh of relief here, however, as Bosingwa isn't credited with an assist for Drogba's goal, otherwise Stu would have made 3 points on me tonight...

Last edited:
I must admit, I have put WAY more effort into this year's comp than I can rightly justify, meticulously checking fixture lists, player injury and suspension tables, league tables, the leaderboards on the game website, and working out all manner of what-not and what-have-you, cunning strategies and devious plans, and I have to say, I think I was doing better when I wasn't doing any of it :guilty: I'm now just 15 points clear of my mate Stuart - a well-versed expert in Fantasy Football - and so I am going back to trusting my instincts a bit more and not picking my players purely by statistics... (Anelka and Van Persie killed my faith in statistics! :ouch: )

I've made a bold move for James Beattie - recommended by my Dad a few weeks ago, and I think he is on to something. Beattie doesn't show up in the "top players" lists because he's only been in the Premiership for 6 games, but he's pretty consistent. I looked at Stoke's fixture list last night and they have arguably the best run of (relatively) easy games in the league, with only a game against Everton to worry about - and their performance against Villa was hopefully a sign of things to come from them... Also, rather amusingly, just after I made the change, I saw this on the Sky Sports website.

:dopey: And he's scored, after being in my team for just 14 minutes... in your face, Anelka :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You know, maybe Bendtner was right when he said he was the best striker at Arsenal. :lol: It's about time they put points on the board, but then again, they were playing West Brom.

Yeh, I'm supermegaangry that they didn't play Van Persie... VP would have scored a hatful against West Brom last night, but nooooooo... Arse Wenger knows best...

I'm getting seriously jittery here, since I need Everton to concede a goal, with my two nearest rivals with 2 Everton defenders each, and me (rather stupidly) with none :indiff: I am counting on Blackburn scoring a goal :ill: Otherwise, I need Beattie or Ireland to score, or preferably, Tim Cahill to score a hat-trick... can't ask too much from Beattie, since he's scored one tonight already.

Edit: OMG, this guy standing in for Jeff Stelling on Gillette Soccer Special is sharp as a tack... "Is this the sort of game Aston Villa have to win *thoughtful grimace on face* to secure that Champions League place, John?" :dunce:

Ironically, despite needing a goal from Blackburn, I also need Everton to win tonight to complete my 6-game accumulator, which will win me £30 from a £1 stake... I can haz 1-2 to Everton pleaz (Cahill two goals kthxbai)?

Edit 2: :grumpy: I don't believe this - Stuart takes another 3 points out of my lead, down to 12 points now - nothing I can do to stop the rot it seems. Freidel has been a nightmare, he's gone next time round...

Last edited:
God-buggering-damnit!
I cannot beleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeive what just happened today.
I spent a good portion of yesterday before the games working through various permutations of my team to remove Bellamy.

I put SWP & Woodgate in. :indiff: (8 points lost!)
At one point I had Elano & Beattie in the lineup. :( (6 points could've been!)
I reworked it to get Berbatov & Aaron Lennon in instead. :ouch: (9 points gone!) :banghead:

And then I realised that if I made 3 changes, I'd be left with only 3 remaining, so I went conservative, putting in the seemingly on-form Andy Johnson....
Who managed to have about 10 shots on goal in the game against Hull and scored none. :grumpy: Gimp.

The only person I had tried who didn't score tonight was Morten Gamst-Pedersen, and I'm bloody glad he didn't as that'd've cost me another 6 points for Everton defenders after the sudden shambles that have become Villa defenders, although thankfully Davies only played half the game and doesn't lose a point. 👎

@ Touring Mars: The sooner you get rid of Friedel the better! He was doing really well until you "stole" him. Please, please sell him so he can start playing well again! :D

I have a cunning plan though...
As soon as I put any attackers in my team they stop scoring points for fun (see Ronaldo, Nasri, Johnson, Fellaini, etc., etc.) and I really want ManUre to slip up for Liverpool's benefit, thus I'm getting rid of all the Liverpool players (They'll be a dead cert to score lots of Fantasy points now :ill:) and plan to load my attack line with Mancs! :mischievous:

Last edited:
If I were you, I'd have put in Lennon and Berbatov :P My Man U options are limited, but since Stu has Vidic and Ferguson too, I'm happy to stick with that.

Freidel is on his way out - I would quite like to put Reina in his place, but I don't share your optimism that Liverpool will beat Man U, or that Liverpool will keep a clean sheet next week, so I might have to suffer Freidel for another game. I also have to consider ditching one of my midfielders and switching to a 5-3-2 formation, which is working out to be the difference between Stu and I at the current time. He has also lucked out on doubling up on the Everton defenders, and they have ridden their luck big style... West Brom hit the post against them, and Blackburn missed a very good chance yesterday, those two marginal incidents have scored Stu a tasty 9 points (and it could have been alot more - Lescott should have scored last night, and should have played against West Brom too)...

Back