favorite drummer and best drummerMusic 

• Thread starter Bam
  • 171 comments
Jan Carlsson passed away tonight, 80 years old.
I doubt anyone here knows about him but he was a really great person
who enriched many peoples lives in Sweden. He was a drummer and an actor,
having drumming credits on 24 albums with various artists and acting credits
in 41 movies. Memorable childrens classics as well as comedies and dramas.

He had a real talent for comedy and his laughter was one of the better ones I have
heard in my life. He seemed like a caring and genuine human being and was never
involved in any scandals or bad press.

He also had the second best moustache I've ever seen (no one can ever beat Tom Selleck in my opinion).

968full-janne-carlsson (1).jpg

Here's a jamming session from '67 with Carlsson and his friend Bo Hansson.
If anyone wants to listen to more stuff from Carlsson I could
help dig up more videos from the tube (studio recordings).
In any case I just felt like telling something about this man.

Jimi Hendrix was actually a fan of Carlsson after hearing some of his stuff and
they ended up jamming together some time in the late 60s.

Last edited:
Thread desperately needs some life breathed into it.

Saw Huffamoose in the late '90s, supporting their new-at-the-time We've Been Had Again, where they performed the album in its entirety, and the song "Speeding Bullet" really stuck out for me--due in no small part to the fills provided by Erik Johnson.

The highlight for me, however, was a 20-or-so-minute rendition of "Song About Nothing" from their earlier, self-titled album, wherein Johnson and the bassist went at it for about fifteen of those minutes.

An extended version of the song [that really is about nothing] can be heard as a hidden track of sorts after "Sacred Ground," but it just isn't the same.

I just read through these four pages once again and realised Nick Mason was never mentioned once. O_o
That's almost blasphemous.

He is definitely on my (fairly short) list of all-time favorite drummers and he is the only Pink Floyd member
to be featured on every one of their albums.

I love that whole 'Live at Pompeii' documentary thing, Mason is such a cool and laid back cat in that one.
And the Echoes live performance from there is just fantastic. I can't even remember the amount of times I've watched that.

Still rocking it at 74, and he's a big fan of motorsports too. 👍

He has a gig next week apparently at the O2 Apollo.
If I was near Manchester I wouldn't hesitate to go there in a heartbeat,
whatever the price.

I just read through these four pages once again and realised Nick Mason was never mentioned once. O_o
That's almost blasphemous.
jawdrop.gif

Still rocking it at 74, and he's a big fan of motorsports too. 👍
I'll say. He raced at Le Mans five times, missing only one year (1981--that danged The Wall tour...) in the six spanning first to last.

-

I've been hemming and hawing bumping this thread with a double post for months now; I would have much sooner had I realized there were posts since my last.

This also happens to coincide with me presently listening to the most recent Chick Corea album, Chinese Butterfly, released at the beginning of this year--on which he's featured.

Steve Gadd, session drummer par excellence, having worked with the likes of Chick Corea (extensively), Simon & Garfunkel (together and individually), Sir Paul McCartney, B.B. King, Eric Clapton, Tony Banks, Steely Dan, the inimitable Rickie Lee Jones (that's how I first took note of him) and really just too many artists to list.

Here's a small sampling:

"On drums, Ian Paice, yessss!!!"
Anything by this man is poetry in motion. Seen him burn live many times & been to one of his drum clinics which was absolutely brilliant.
His one-handed pressed roll was simply staggering to behold.
He's my pick of the crop without a doubt.

Gotta love Deep Purple.

Indeed. No gimmicks, no fancy dancers, no costume changes, no circus acrobatics. They just stood & played.
Extremely well.
Other fantastic exceptional drummers worth mentioning are:
The late great Mitch Mitchell, what a player!
Vinnie Appice & Carmine Appice - drum brothers extraordinaire!
Lee Kerslake - superb yet underrated.
Bill Ward - one of the seminal architects of hard Rock drumming.

Last edited:
I'm compelled to throw Terry Chambers into the mix.

Incidentally, XTC toured with The Police early on (to support the latter's Zenyatta Mondatta release, for anyone interested) and here's Terry and Stewart Copeland pictured together:

Screenshot_20181226-213949.png

Last edited:
I cant even do that **** with a double kick lol
Saying that though im not that good of a drummer anyway
I'm sure you weren't as bad as you say. The one time I tried to form a band with some buddies the ****ing "drummer" couldn't even keep time. :(

At least with a drum machine when you punch the information in, it stays there (as the saying goes). :P

^No Ginge? "What a bringdown" that would've been...
"I'm so glad" that's not the case.

I've never been a big Bonham fan but maybe I can be persuaded.
With the exception of select tracks, I'm not a Zeppelin fan--there's just too much baggage there, particularly with use rights--but there's just no denying their respective abilities, and Bonzo was a tower of power; no subtlety there at all.

I'm sure you weren't as bad as you say. The one time I tried to form a band with some buddies the ****ing "drummer" couldn't even keep time. :(

At least with a drum machine when you punch the information in, it stays there (as the saying goes). :P
Luckily i like a lot of noise lol very chaotic stuff

1. Bonzo
2. Bonzo

Other personal faves include Ringo, Michael Clarke, Mitch Mitchell, Nick Mason, Clyde Stubblefield, Jaki Liebezeit (Can), Stephen Morris (Joy Division/New Order), Colm Ó Cíosóig (My Bloody Valentine), Alan "Reni" Wren (Stone Roses)

Last edited:
Paul Thompson, founding member of Roxy Music who played through 1979's Manifesto and later contributed immensely to Concrete Blonde's Bloodletting and Mexican Moon.

Ultra-prolific drummer Hal Blaine said he learned to play drums by listening to Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich.

Last edited:
Back