FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say that the information is ambigious. The first link suggests the limit is 2 drivers per nation, but the second suggests 10. That's how I understand it anyway.

Also, which factor is considered first regarding the selection process?
Is it DR rating, or is it points accumulated in the season?

I must say that the information is ambigious. The first link suggests the limit is 2 drivers per nation, but the second suggests 10. That's how I understand it anyway.

Also, which factor is considered first regarding the selection process?
Is it DR rating, or is it points accumulated in the season?

I think the 10 is just an example and is being used for Asia/America. The Season 21 notice also suggests for this week at least it's points accumulated not DR for the top 24.

Wow at the limiting to nations for the top 24 superstars and acquired points..? That's quite substantial in that now you need luck of the draw in the previous rounds to get the best lobbies in order to make top 24! Guess I won't be racing in top 24 anymore as I can't make the earlier races... Well actually I lie, I can if I have 0 practice..

edit: The Manufacturer one makes sense, Nations cup doesn't.... not a countries fault if half the field are making top 24 superstars because they have the best talent!

So manufacturers cup means that top drivers may need to pick unfavoured marques now.

Lewis Hamilton wouldn't just turn up at Abu Dhabi (at the end of the season) and just race there because he is a top driver. They should ditch the lucrative top 24 race. Make everyone of them race at least 3 races of the season to rightfully earn their spot at the top table.

Ditching the 24 SS race would make for the possibility of some people to win the season without facing the aliens if they got really lucky with the draws.

With the 24SS race, it's pretty much impossible to get lucky. You'll have to perform and beat the aliens to win it all.

Ditching the 24 SS race would make for the possibility of some people to win the season without facing the aliens if they got really lucky with the draws.

With the 24SS race, it's pretty much impossible to get lucky. You'll have to perform and beat the aliens to win it all.

I don't see how. If you don't face aliens in the normal races, then you won't gain as many points.

In theory should be just the fastest drivers in these races as they deserve it most. But it will be good to see some diversity in the races, especially the manufacturers race. Although my chances were slim of getting in these races before, pretty they aare non-existent now!

The fastest drivers will just have to be more dedicated to gain entry to the big race now.

Lewis Hamilton wouldn't just turn up at Abu Dhabi (at the end of the season) and just race there because he is a top driver. They should ditch the lucrative top 24 race. Make everyone of them race at least 3 races of the season to rightfully earn their spot at the

It's like I said. There's no more doing a Brock Lesnar (if you know your wwe) and just turning up when it matters. It now matters all the time. Gotta do the 6 races (whether it's gr3/4, driving a sambabus or a red bull standard) to get a better chance to take on the best.

That definitely wouldn't happen in Europe though. In fact you have to attend the popular times otherwise there's no chance you're making the top 24 at all in this format. To me that limits the racing, as we've gone from grids being covered by inches across the entire field to larger gaps already with fuel and now this will create even further gaps! The best racing is the closest racing in terms of watching it but I guess nobody truly knows what PD want except PD.

Thinking about it maybe they need a 3rd championship? One which is just a free for all and literally just the fastest 24?

The fastest drivers will just have to be more dedicated to gain entry to the big race now.

It's like I said. There's no more doing a Brock Lesnar (if you know your wwe) and just turning up when it matters. It now matters all the time. Gotta do the 6 races (whether it's gr3/4, driving a sambabus or a red bull standard) to get a better chance to take on the best.

The reason I only attend the top 24 races was because the races in the week can be very boring, and I mean boring.. This is going to sound so cocky but there's no nice way of putting it. Sometimes the races in the week you can grab pole and just pull away and literally waste 30/40 minutes tootling round to get maybe 2k points max if your lucky? Alternatively if you can make the popular times you can have a good race. I've got loads of races saved with this happening as I save every single one and only upload the fun/exciting races.

Personally I think the top 24 superstars should be based on your qualifying time before the race and your SR rating (Not DR). If you're quick enough you're in otherwise you're not... This format in the European region at least is a little crazy to me as we all live in different time zones (Other regions have different time zones to, I realise this!) and have different lives. If you're working a normal 9-5 job in the UK you're not making those popular times if you include commuting and any other real life stuff you need to do. So you're instantly losing out? If I just look at my schedule I get home for at/or before 6pm if I don't have to work late... that's the first popular spot gone. I eat with family at 7pm, there goes another spot. 8pm split I could make but with limited practice but I had to do that when we were GMT.. So now it's 9pm and the 10:10pm races only and guess what, they are much quieter than the rest! Just seems silly to me to base making the best race in a competition on luck/RNG. I literally gave up on another tournament in another game because it was based on RNG... racing should be about skill level not pure luck on whether you get a full S/S lobby or not. This will literally frustrate and push away some top players/racers...

To put it in another perspective, one race this week I got 2k points I think it was (Might have been 1.9k actually but I can't remember) and it was a pretty boring race until the last lap but that was nothing to write home about. My total time would have got me over 2.5k points in another lobby... But because I wasn't in that lobby I lose out on 500 points. If that was Test Season 21 that's my possibility of qualifying for the top 24 superstars race gone because I couldn't make an earlier time? Seems crazy to me...

But whatever times are set for races there will always be the most popular time slot and not everyone will be able to make it, they can’t really do much about that as they have given options at least. I can’t make the early ones either for similar reasons just got to live with it.

The other problem is the match making, you only need to drop a couple points of SR from 99 to be in a completely different lobby. If I am at 99 which I am most of the time, I am constantly against fastest DRS, I’m an A. If I drop a couple points straight into a lobby with mostly As. To me if you are SRS that’s it put more weight into quali times so you get a better matched field.

But whatever times are set for races there will always be the most popular time slot and not everyone will be able to make it, they can’t really do much about that as they have given options at least. I can’t make the early ones either for similar reasons just got to live with it.

The other problem is the match making, you only need to drop a couple points of SR from 99 to be in a completely different lobby. If I am at 99 which I am most of the time, I am constantly against fastest DRS, I’m an A. If I drop a couple points straight into a lobby with mostly As. To me if you are SRS that’s it put more weight into quali times so you get a better matched field.

Ye but with the new top 24 superstar race format you can't qualify for that race if you can't make the best times, at least you had the chance without that format. As I say it depends what they are after at the end of the day... do they want the best racing? Or is there another goal from this? If they want the best racing this in my mind is definitely not the best way to go about it. If I was watching I want to see the best racers not necessarily the ones that have got lucky. I watch the Forza or iRacing competitions to see the best racers of those games (I don't play either of them), I wouldn't watch it if it was just the lucky ones.

Edit: From my personal perspective at least the top 24 gave me the chance to catch up on points that I may have missed out on from not joining the popular times (1 position is 500 additional points for example)

@Tidgney I know what you mean about commuting. Finishing at 5 in Liverpool. Travelling to st helens, getting in a 6. Then i have to do it again i the morning so no 10pm race for me. You do make also make some fair points from an elite perspective. That free for all champ sounds like something i'd like to see elites do.

@Tidgney not disagreeing with you at all, but what the solution is I don’t know. The earliest I get to race usually on a weekday with work and family is at the very very best is 9pm but usually 10pm. You could base entry on quali times but does that then favour the guys that have hours to set the best time possible? Myself personally I can hotlap for a while but I need to quali-race-quali-race to reach my ultimate pace so I find any FIA race difficult, especially with time constraints for practising.

On a side note seen some of your streams, you are very fast smooth driver need you to teach me a few things!! Just can’t find that last 0.5-1 second I need!!

@Tidgney I know what you mean about commuting. Finishing at 5 in Liverpool. Travelling to st helens, getting in a 6. Then i have to do it again i the morning so no 10pm race for me. You do make also make some fair points from an elite perspective. That free for all champ sounds like something i'd like to see elites do.

I think a free for all championship would be awesome, especially based off some of the earlier top 24 superstar races which were jam packed with action :D!

@Tidgney not disagreeing with you at all, but what the solution is I don’t know. The earliest I get to race usually on a weekday with work and family is at the very very best is 9pm but usually 10pm. You could base entry on quali times but does that then favour the guys that have hours to set the best time possible? Myself personally I can hotlap for a while but I need to quali-race-quali-race to reach my ultimate pace so I find any FIA race difficult, especially with time constraints for practising.

On a side note seen some of your streams, you are very fast smooth driver need you to teach me a few things!! Just can’t find that last 0.5-1 second I need!!

Cheers :D! I hope to revisit some of the guides I've done in the past once I've finished the BoP test :).

Solutions a hard one but personally for me I do disagree with it's new proposed format (Luck being a much bigger factor). I honestly believe just a qualification lap should get you into the race or not. If someone practices for 5 hours for it and someone else only does 10 minutes and the person who does 5 hours gets in then I'd be fine with that, likewise if the person who does 10 minutes gets in while unfortunate for the 5 hour person it still means the faster person has made the top 24 superstars.

Also I've just been thinking, what happens if only 9 countries decide to enter the top 24 superstar race, does that mean there will then only be 18 racers? I know that's a really simple way of looking at it but that thought just came to mind.

A "Nations" race is actually going to be about Nations? And a "Manufacturers" race is actually going to be about Manufacturers? The top 24 race will include the top points holders from each category?

That makes no sense at all! Oh wait, actually it literally does. Sounds kind of like an Olympic set up and history shows how bad of an idea that was. Oh wait, it's actually the most successful global sporting event in history.

Although I wasn't very involved with the FIA races (mainly due to race times), I'm glad to see the changes. Still a test season, so why not mix it up a little? So many people want change, yet there's so much complaining every time it happens.

Use some strategy, coordinate race times with others, try an underdog manufacturer, and enjoy the new challenge! Have fun people, this will help keep the game interesting.

I bet there are going to be a lot of new PSN accounts in smaller countries.💡

Yeah you're right about that. Going to be funny if they have a grand finale, say in one place like london and find out that fraud is rife. They find out people don't come from the likes of Albania, Israel of one of the middle east countries. On the other hand could do a UEFA style seeding where most prominent, highest achieving countries get more places in nation cup.

Plus the fact then if there are not enough how do they decide which extra ones get to enter? That said I think this is an unlikely situation.

I’m not sure there is a 100% fair to all solution to this, apart from not having a top 24 race at all because whatever the selection method it still only gives 24 drivers the chance to win a season.

The problem with doing it on quali is a lot of the time some only enter the top 24 race, but someone else could have entered all the races doing well and they miss the chance to go for a win because someone turns up who could be 0.1 of a second faster on a hot lap.

One thing is for sure it needs to be the fastest drivers going for a season win.

So do we have to participate in all 5 races in the Nations/Manufacturers Cup to have a chance of qualifying for the Top 24 Superstars? I hope it's the best of three races. I simply don't have time to participate in every race

I'm conflicted on this, on one hand its great for me, I generally enter every race, try my best and usually finish higher than I qualify, so my DR goes up and I get a semi decent haul of points. I might be in with a shot at the top 24 one day, if I have a good week.

On the other hand, its a race designed for the best of the best, which I am not, and like tidgney mentioned, why should they suffer if they miss a few races?

I think the scoring needs to be addressed, the base 2k and 3x multiplier is overkill and does ruin championships. its totally not necessary when the faster folks have higher scores anyway, maybe a small boost but as it is right now is too much. not throwing shade but if I spend a good chunk of time putting the effort in to get a decent score, only to be knocked down a few places by someone who walks in and does one race isn't fair. they are faster than me that's for sure but its like coming out of the pits on fresh tyres vs a guy thats got worn tyres on.

rant aside, the limitations to drivers from a country or manufacturer chosen has obviously not been thought about.

with limitations to drivers, you will see a field spread much larger than it is, skill levels could potentially be all over the place, the races could be carnage or very boring as some guy from iceland tootles around 5 seconds off the pace.

the manufacturer race will also see the same effect, BoP is good but not perfect, we all know which cars are better than others, the fastest drivers will choose the fastest cars, slower drivers being clever will choose others, we'll see the top 6-8 cars fly off in races while the slower cars and slower drivers pootle around. why would you choose a slower if you thought you were genuinely one of the best or had a shot in it? you wouldn't!

PD tried to balance this race after the usual folk ended up in it, but they have done it wrong, its not limitations that need looking at, as its then no longer the top 24. Its the scoring.

And for the record, if the same folk are in the races, maybe PD, just maybe, that's because they are the top 24 in the game?

Sorry to interrupt all this riveting Top 24 alien discussion, but no one has mentioned that that the first race of the Nations Cup Test Season is a Gr.2 race on Suzuka! Cool!

So regarding the "top 24" races, just wanted to point out that TRL_Lightning is currently 89th (eighty-ninth) in EMEA based on DR. TRL_AUGH and rick-918-bmx are outside of the top 30.
Where can you see DR position?

Where can you see DR position?

Here https://www.jasonguernsey.net/

You need to register and you will see lots of statistics about your races and also all leaderboards.
Excellent one!
a1a81c79-1407-4f6c-a298-45f1f5510f34

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-1_15-47-27.png
    upload_2018-4-1_15-47-27.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Until I saw the announcement I had just assumed the top 24 race was for the top drivers in that seasons championship, it's quite a scandal that it hasn't been for all this time tbh. It's like saying Joey Logano should've been in the NASCAR playoffs last season because he's a top driver (ignoring the fact that he scored less points than those who did a better job over the season).

The game already drops the scores for half of the races so the best drivers should be at the top of the standings even if they miss the odd race, if they can't make it to any they will miss the top 24 race too since it's held at the same time of day.

Speaking of the Top 24 race, I finally did my first one. Looked like there was always something going on somewhere every single lap. Made a few mistakes but just about everyone did at some point.

Nations Cup was good as well.

So regarding the "top 24" races, just wanted to point out that TRL_Lightning is currently 89th (eighty-nineth) in EMEA based on DR. TRL_AUGH and rick-918-bmx are outside of the top 30.

They all still qualify as not everyone ahead of them enters. Lightning would've lost a lot of DR points yesterday through lag/disconnect so that's why he's lower than usual.

A lot of the fastest guys I notice have struggled with the strategy that's come into the FIA races since the fuel/tyre wear was introduced. Doesn't impact them too much in the normal races where 1 stop is clearly the best strategy, but they often run 2 stops in the top 24 race and get caught in accidents or just held up with the slower 1 stoppers.

Wanted to try out the Group 2 race but lost connection in qualifying. Not sure if just me or loads of the people in the lobby.

EDIT: Think just me. PSN now giving me crap about 'unable to find IP address' randomly. Looking forward to my 2000 DR drop in 30 minutes.

I went from S/S to A/B at alsace -_______- thats what i get for not getting a good qualifying lap in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back