FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
DO. NOT. USE. THE. HUAYRA.

I qualified 11th and first of the non-Ferraris (there were 3 of us), and got passed by every Ferrari once we got up to speed. On pace I would've finished 18th because this thing tops out way too early in the draft while everyone steams away with plenty of extra top end. I somehow got 10th place because of wrecks, but the only reason I didn't get involved in any accidents was because they were all waaaaaaaay in front of me when they happened. I literally lost the slipstream while being right behind everyone just because of this car's non-existent top end. I would've had better pace in the Alfa Gr. 4 car...

Proof that I wasn't exaggerating how awful this car was. And no, there wasn't an 8th gear. Believe me I checked...

I used the 458 for the final two slots and the results were:
Q5 (despite being put into the wall twice on my qualifying lap), F13 (being put into the wall before starting the final lap).

Q16 (only had 1 car to draft with), F8 (after being caught up in "The Big One" and doing a perfect 360 through Turns 1 and 2 on the final lap).

Yet again no points to show for this attempt.

Last edited:
Big Lex feels good around RBR. Not sure about qualifying. Might hang around the back with 1RH/RM/All RS just to watch the replay.

Really wanting to move on to GT7 and definitely can't wait to race GT4 in ACC. Think I'll be more upbeat in the next GR.4 rounds.

Going to qualy on RH and still do same tyre change. I'll see what happens...
IMG_20200729_160303.jpg

Can't even cruise because the cars at the back keep going off in qualy. Put softs in for a second run with 3 minutes to go and an RS01 hits me in the back when I exit the pits. I'm on the far right exiting pit lane! 1.5 seconds for me! Had to abort and reset real quick.
IMG_20200729_161656.jpg

Last edited:
What is the general strategy for Manu? I haven’t done any practice. Assuming it’s a 1 lap on Hards somewhere to get them out the way. How long are Softs holding out?

What is the general strategy for Manu? I haven’t done any practice. Assuming it’s a 1 lap on Hards somewhere to get them out the way. How long are Softs holding out?
Look like 6-8RS/10-11RM/1RH.

Sorry, I just can't follow what everyone else are doing.:lol:

Softs on the RC F got me 10 consistent laps and then gradually dropped off on Lap 11. I did 1RH(horrible lap 1 tyre, just horrible) lost most my time on the first lap-topped up fuel/1RM-topped up fuel/11RS-topped up fuel/5RS-was short .3laps after completing Lap14, set to Fuel 2 and was still setting FL. Made up 4 spots, as cars pit late for RH and added their fuel.

Set Fuel1 on Lap 16 and set FL every lap and last lap. The last two laps, I took 4 seconds from P1. Just to show how much less grip those tyres have.

Leader(finished 8th) lead the whole race and asked why he got such a big penalty.
IMG_20200729_170202.jpg
IMG_20200729_170158.jpg

Done a couple of lobbies and quite a bit of free running

Most people seem to be running the softs for anything from 8-13 laps, depends how your wear is. For me the pit window would open around L10 - that's about the point fresh mediums can lap at the same pace - and it is one lap on hards when you can squeeze it in. Biggest issue with the race is fuel and whether to save or to push. It's a power track so saving too much is very time consuming, in the Merc pushing is definitely quicker (but then I'm probably not the best at fuel saving!), and I'm still open to going long on mediums if I'm starting in the midfield

Done a couple of lobbies and quite a bit of free running

Most people seem to be running the softs for anything from 8-13 laps, depends how your wear is. For me the pit window would open around L10 - that's about the point fresh mediums can lap at the same pace - and it is one lap on hards when you can squeeze it in. Biggest issue with the race is fuel and whether to save or to push. It's a power track so saving too much is very time consuming, in the Merc pushing is definitely quicker (but then I'm probably not the best at fuel saving!), and I'm still open to going long on mediums if I'm starting in the midfield
Thanks. Will aim for 10 on Softs and see how they’re looking and decide from there. Unless I qualify badly of course!

Got ready for my slot. P1 or no points. Currently sitting p4 on the grid in a gaggle of GT-Rs.
You would swear this is a power circuit or something.
Top 14 within 1 second. Not bad for a low B/S lobby.

Just as intro starts I realize I should have started mediums to suck the draft of the godzillas.

Just a quick update from last nights fun.

Having watched the replays this is #mygtmoment. I'm so sorry @ivann but this was even funnier when I watched it back :lol:

In that race the top 16 finished within half a second of each other. Which looks like this.

20200729100255.jpg

2nd attempt I crashed and burned for 15th.

3rd attempt decided to go to the front and try and stay there for as long as possible. Which worked :gtpflag:
Watch out for the pit wall claiming another victim too. The clip is just the last corner.

Final thoughts on this extraordinary combo. It seemed like every man, woman and child came out for this race. @Tidgney had over 500 viewers watching his attempt. It was all over twitter, YouTube and Discord which I thought was amazing.

WHAT MESSAGE DID WE JUST GIVE PD ABOUT WHAT WE WANT IN GT7.

We only have ourselves to blame.

Last edited:
So that was almost a waste of half an hour. Had to win to get points.

Start p4. Lap 1 I pass clean into the second hard right. Then on the next corner p2 spins and I get caught when he doesnt ghost. Damage and a 4 second penalty. Dropped to p12. From there any chance I had was mostly gone. Too much traffic. People on hards swerving to defend for their life. Someone with damage trying to out brake and dive me on that same downhill right.

Ended up fighting back to p6, but would have bee p4 if not for 3 track limit penalties last 4 laps. 2 of which I still don't understand as I was more on track than the car in front and they didnt get them.

Oh well. No points, some decent racing mixed in there. I could have driven better but wasn't all that bad, just a touch sloppy. Now to try some dailies and debate if I bother with Saturday.

Good luck out there and watch the brakes:gtpflag:👍

Last edited:
Last Night at SSX I went in with no expectations, no qualifying and the 458. Started at the back with low SR and thought "well, what do I have to lose?" and after a single incident I recovered from still in 3rd gear and pointing the right way I got into a nice rhythm with another 458 driver where we used each others slipstream to slingshot past and one of us always moved round the left and the other to the right and it was the most beautiful synchronised high speed driving I have ever experienced on GTS. We finished 5th and 6th and by the end of the race I was totally relaxed and even had blue SR. I was not expecting that!

BA321104-73C1-46DC-9CF4-83EFE979ACDD.jpeg

Thanks for strategy tips, felt prepared even though I didn’t do any practice!! Ended up with my best points haul to date!! :lol:

8FB00C63-0A57-49BB-99C3-77C4422CC87B.jpeg

Qualified 9th and couldn’t decide which tires to start on and ran out of time so Softs it was! I was up into 5th by end of lap 2! Would like to think it was my skill but more likely they were on Mediums :lol: I got into 4th and then someone pitted so I was running in 3rd for a while. Came in for Hards on lap 12 then for duke and Mediums lap 13. Came out the pits in 5th. Got past the two in front to finish 3rd. Great race!!

Last edited:
Finally hit another milestone. (Gaining from SR lost last week)

View attachment 944744

Whatever it is, PD will misinterpret it anyway.

Well done on the win. I was in that race, it was utter chaos in the midfield. I had to recover from a P12 Qualifying after getting punted on what a lap that could have potentially seen me start from inside the Top 5 after the Porsche driver took offence to the fact I overtook him at Turn 2 (forcefully but without contact) so he decided to drive full noise into me next turn.

It was certainly one of the worst groups I've been in for a while when it comes to dirty driving.

So how are you doing on fuel saving in the GT? It's pretty bad this race. I'm thinking about running a slot with the 1 stop and add fuel instead of 2 stop and save a bunch.
GT LM is very thirsty on these lobby settings; worked my way around it by short-shifting frequently throughout and taking on fuel at the first stop. Setting fuel map to 6 and not revving too much on the grid formation is also essential.

GT LM is very thirsty on these lobby settings; worked my way around it by short-shifting frequently throughout and taking on fuel at the first stop. Setting fuel map to 6 and not revving too much on the grid formation is also essential.

Same here, just don't see any other way around it this race I'll have to add fuel. I'm usually off by about a laps worth. Good luck today!

I feel like a lot of us needed that race last night it was different and fun. I noticed it seemed to bring a lot of people out to play who haven't been on. Thinking we'll get this combo or similar to it for daily race anytime soon?

Had fun in all 5 slots just fooling around trying every car but the Ferrari... the R34 and the NSX only two I even got a wiff of podium. Hate to get caught up in accident on last slot and knocked fellow member @KosmoKazi out of the race as well we had a good run coming down the back stretch I could have been more patient probably.

Last edited:
Nations was a lot of fun last night even though my results weren't great. My first attempt I tried the NSX. I qualified 8th, but the car got moving very slowly at the start of the race with cars passing like crazy. Then I got sandwiched and bumped sideways into the wall, still on the front straightaway of all places, lol! I found a drafting partner midway through lap 2 and finished 15th.

Second attempt I went with the Ferrari - MUCH faster at the start! I qualified 3rd. Coming out of the last turn of the race I was behind a pack of about 8 or 9 cars, 5-wide. I should have followed @dlshearon on the outside (I think he finished 5th or 6th), but I saw an opportunity to swing by a few cars on the inside and....oops....while I didn't go "Full Ivann" on the pit wall, I did finish the race in the pit lane, haha. I crawled to an 11th place finish. I wasn't the only one either. Someone followed my 45mph pit-lane slipstream to finish 12th :lol:.

I almost skipped this race, but kept asking myself if any race car drivers skip races during their season. ANSWER, NO. They also don’t call do over and run 2, 3, or 4 reruns, 1 and done it is.

Then I considered my back up account, but there was only 2 slots left and didn’t want to be up at midnight. So I entered the second to last slot totally green with only solo practice laps, never could find a good lobby to do test races.
Qualifying I waited and went out in 19th, looking to avoid carnage and keep a good draft ahead. But carnage was unavoidable and after I got spun by cars doing slides and backflips I lost the draft. Best I could muster solo was 4.29.17 for 14th. My door number was 4....what have I done.

The race went surprisingly clean for me with crashes seeming to always happen higher up the banks while I stayed low. I worked my way up looking to battle for the win in 9th and surrounded by screaming Ferrari’s, some using the shoulder and sidewalks if needed, but no big wreck up front. As we pushed and shoved, bump drafted and fought for draft when they moved ahead, we came around the final turn 11 cars in a clump. I felt little bumps from the sides and back, made some decent moves when they looked good and came across the line 5th with .2 seconds separating 10 cars.

149 points for 5th. This race will end up counting in my total seasons end.

EXACTLY! We should get bonus points for running it with our 'real' accounts! Do all the NASCAR guys WANT to be at Talladega for that mess twice a year?! No... but it's part of the show and we have to man up and show up!

Last Night at SSX I went in with no expectations, no qualifying and the 458. Started at the back with low SR and thought "well, what do I have to lose?" and after a single incident I recovered from still in 3rd gear and pointing the right way I got into a nice rhythm with another 458 driver where we used each others slipstream to slingshot past and one of us always moved round the left and the other to the right and it was the most beautiful synchronised high speed driving I have ever experienced on GTS. We finished 5th and 6th and by the end of the race I was totally relaxed and even had blue SR. I was not expecting that!

I think there was some learning after the first few races and people were smarter by the end of the night. When raced right, this was as much fun as any of the 'normal' FIAGTC races this year... it was a really fun change of pace and I'd love to do it again.

Same here, just don't see any other way around it this race I'll have to add fuel. I'm usually off by about a laps worth. Good luck today!

I feel like a lot of us needed that race last night it was different and fun. I noticed it seemed to bring a lot of people out to play who haven't been on. Thinking we'll get this combo or similar to it for daily race anytime soon?

Had fun in all 5 slots just fooling around trying every car but the Ferrari... the R34 and the NSX only two I even got a wiff of podium. Hate to get caught up in accident on last slot and knocked fellow member @KosmoKazi out of the race as well we had a good run coming down the back stretch I could have been more patient probably.

Yeah, didn't work out for sure. I also should have laid back a little instead of trying to clear that Proud GT Honda guy, but it was eventually just one of those racing deals, as they say... but I was feeling good about a nice top 5 in that race! I was just hoping to be at the front and I'd have pushed someone to a win if it meant 2nd place...

Ah6nsRm.jpg

Qualifying for Manufacturing was as bad as I expected. I qualified 15th, but was promoted to 14th after someone DCed. I elected to dump the Hards on the opening lap, but I was able to overtake and beat my fellow Hard runners to the pits, entering for Softs from 10th and exiting in 14th. I caught up to the pack on lap 5, where a Nissan spins out exiting turn 1. I was able to carve my way through the pack with the superior tyres and haul myself into the top 10 after an unlucky Nissan got punted wide at turn 9 on lap 7.

I caught up to the Supra that sent the second Nissan off and was able to keep pace with him. I nearly fell victim to the awkward pit entry when the Supra moved to box on lap 9. I was accelerating through turn 9 when I realised he was boxing and had to slam on the brakes, managing to get off with a very light bumper tap and no SR down. The incident threw me off for the rest of the Soft stint, as I took too much of the inside grass on lap 10 at turn 9 and just barely saved the car from running too wide. Sensing that the Softs were dropping off, I boxed from 6th on lap 11 for Mediums and fuel and came out in 10th.

On lap 13, I braked too early at turn 3, letting an Audi that just left the pits past. I was resigned to relying on his slipstream to fuel save, but he proceeds to make the same mistake I did on lap 10, taking too much off the inside of turn 9 and suffering a tank-slapper that sent him to the shadow realm.

U99zmzG.jpg

On lap 14, the polesitter Mustang bins it at turn 5 by braking too late and going off from 4th. Instead of trying to salvage a top 10 finish, he rage quits and gifts me a free position. I spent the rest of the race running a quiet drive to 6th place and my best Manufacturer points, which makes up for the SSRX demo derby somewhat.

2vgGGyq.jpg
PKGwyUu.jpg

Race photos:

XpvGEC0.jpg
6dvMTEK.jpg
FpBdzNY.jpg
sUj0Lw2.jpg
i5QcO21.jpg

I'm looking forward to Red Bull tonight. It has been one of my better tracks so far. I had a nice top 5 in the Lexus a few weeks ago in the Nations race using a no-stop strategy. The Beetle doesn't feel as good as the Lexus around this track, but we'll see how it goes. I plan to start on Mediums to try the one-stop strategy, but can adjust to two-stop as necessary depending on how the race unfolds.

66233A93-AED5-4B21-8480-CB677796810F.jpeg

First race as an A driver. Found myself in with @Adam Barber too! Excellent race and would have snatched 3rd if there was one more lap!

F7C43CD2-4A20-4B02-A416-5C29A2B2EEF6.jpeg

Started 6th, got one place on lap 1 and then someone span off so was in 4th for a few laps. Made it into 3rd where I stayed, briefly led jumping the leaders in the pits until I can in for my stop lap 11. One lap of Hards then onto Mediums. Couple of weird track penalties thrown in too!

999B706A-20B9-4EFB-9333-5BFFA84DCC86.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back