FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm uploading a video of my Nations kart race but after a day and a half of trying to upload it it will not finish. It's gotten as high as 82% uploaded but even without me losing internet connection it always resets. There are more people than usual using my already slow internet, so I don't think it's fast enough to fully upload the video.
I should be able to upload it Tuesday or so once I am at my college, so it will come eventually.

Replay of Round 3 for the Manufacturer Series (Finally more than 2000 points again :)). Link to the live stream is in the description.

Replay of Round 3 for the Nations Cup (Link to the live stream also in the description). Solid race considering I lost the kart twice :D

>> implying he doesn't try hard

:lol::lol: some of us aren't as talented as you are Zoky
Just wanted to point out that no stopper is a no go, because a lot of people will try it without even testing, as you don't need a refill on the fuel. And that could lead to big problems in last 3-4 laps as the time difference is huge then. Unless someone found a bugged car that wastes tyres 50% less?

Just wanted to point out that no stopper is a no go, because a lot of people will try it without even testing, as you don't need a refill on the fuel. And that could lead to big problems in last 3-4 laps as the time difference is huge then. Unless someone found a bugged car that wastes tyres 50% less?
Would a 1 stop for tires only work?

Surely the risk of stopping vs not stopping, is the high chance of getting stuck in the non stopping traffic. That’s racing. Insulting the non stoppers in advance by calling them try hards and basically demanding them to get out of your way “or else”, might not be the best way to encourage them to co-operate.

You'd be brave to not stop. But you're right in saying that there will be somebody who assumes that because the interlagos pit exit is long that it'll be a good idea.

I'm not going to attempt the no-stop strategy you guys are discussing for the Nations Cup.

So, an undercut then, due to the pit exit length?

Surely the risk of stopping vs not stopping, is the high chance of getting stuck in the non stopping traffic. That’s racing. Insulting the non stoppers in advance by calling them try hards and basically demanding them to get out of your way “or else”, might not be the best way to encourage them to co-operate.
If someone is 3sec a lap slower than me in lap14 I suggest he gets out of my way, if it was to be last lap I would except them to fight obviously.

I suggest you would give any driver in front of you the respect they deserve and find a way past cleanly. If you cant, you dont deserve the position.
This.... People using a different strategy are entitled to race for position. Yes it may be frustrating, especially if the track is tight but somewhere like interlagos you just need to get a good exit out of the final left hander and you can easily draft them down the straight. Part of no stopping is about clean defensive driving, it's the faster guys job to counter that with a sensible attacking maneuver - if that's one or two opportunities per lap then be patient and take the chance when it arises!

PS - I haven't had time to investigate yet, what car is looking good for the gr1 race?

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience is, even the cleanest driver gets very unpatient when you are much slower because of worn tires and there are still several laps to go. I let them pass, because after few turns he wiil get starting for risky manouvers and danger both of us anyway.

I never observed somebody who pitted was staying behind a no stopper until the end.

Respecting faster cars and drivers, including ones on fresher tires, and being aware of what’s happening around you is just basic racing etiquette, whether it’s qualifying or the race.

It’s perfectly legal to drive exactly the speed limit in the left lane on the highway, since it’s “everyone else’s responsibility to find a way around you” but should you?

Last edited:
Respecting faster cars and drivers, including ones on fresher tires, and being aware of what’s happening around you is just basic racing etiquette, whether it’s qualifying or the race.

It’s perfectly legal to drive exactly the speed limit in the left lane on the highway, since it’s “everyone else’s responsibility to find a way around you” but should you?
Um yes... thats racing.

Unless blue flag conditions.

Nations Cup went horribly. Started 16th, finished 19th due to horrifying driving standards, including myself!

You've got to be smart if you're on either strategy to be honest...

If you're a non stopper you have to evaluate each lap, and situation individually.. 'Will defending my place cost me another second and put me in range of the next person back'. Non stop you're more looking at overall race time so you try avoid heavy battles. If it's the last lap then you'll defend for your life unless it really puts you in a position that costs you additional places? Anyone defending for their life with multiple laps until the end isn't running a non stop to the best of its ability (Unless it's a track like Monaco and a rolling roll block usually happens).

If you're stopping and catch a non stopper you still have to be respectful of them, and give each other room and take your opportunity when you can. Chances are if it's before last lap they won't defend hard because they're looking at the bigger picture. At the end of the day it's a race, so if someone is 3 seconds a lap slower than you, more than likely you'll over take them either at the top of the hill on the start finish straight, or alternatively after the Senna S as their tyres will be worse and you'll carry more speed.

Just race smart, clean and respectfully and everyone will have a great time :)!

Just did the nations. When did the track limits change? :banghead: :lol: :lol: :dunce:

Ended up learning them during quali and race.

I still enjoyed the race even though I discovered in the race that I'd chosen a car that was never going to overtake anything down the straights. Would've been clean except for all the track limit violations. Started 16th finished 14th. Was almost dead last at the first corner with all the rocket ships starting behind me. This probably helped me avoid a lot of the carnage I saw going on ahead.

You dont need to stop for fuel, except tyres maybe, it depends on how carefully you've looked after them.

If someone is 3sec a lap slower than me in lap14 I suggest he gets out of my way, if it was to be last lap I would except them to fight obviously.

I suggest you find a clean way around, his race is just as important as yours. I had to fight a slow car over several laps on Panorama and lost huge amounts of time, admittedly he did not play by the book and made clear blocking moves, but if i expect everyone else to drive clean i have to do the same.

I suggest you find a clean way around, his race is just as important as yours. I had to fight a slow car over several laps on Panorama and lost huge amounts of time, admittedly he did not play by the book and made clear blocking moves, but if i expect everyone else to drive clean i have to do the same.
Don't think anyone is saying that their race is more important or that cars on slower strategies don't have a right to the position; but even in your post you cite an example where the slower car lost far more overall race time by overly defending/fighting the position - think that's all Zoky was saying - they'd be much better off just driving their own race instead of slowing both parties down.

Getting past a slower car is racecraft. You can be as fast as you like, but you need racecraft when racing with other cars. If you can't get past a slower car while both of you are driving cleanly and fairly, you're not as good a driver as you think you are.

Although in this instance, that only applies to whatever GT Sport thinks is "cleanly and fairly".
Again, pretty sure drivers like Zoky are both well aware, and well capable of, passing slower drivers cleanly and fairly.

It's also part of "racecraft" to not get too heated and start blocking/defending cars that are clearly on a faster strategy to the detriment of your own race time.

Last edited:
Getting past a slower car is racecraft. You can be as fast as you like, but you need racecraft when racing with other cars. If you can't get past a slower car while both of you are driving cleanly and fairly, you're not as good a driver as you think you are.

Although in this instance, that only applies to whatever GT Sport thinks is "cleanly and fairly".

PS - I haven't had time to investigate yet, what car is looking good for the gr1 race?

The Peugeot Gr 1 VGT is a pretty safe bet. All of the top 10 practice times in Europe and Asia were done with it.

Edit: I didn't use it but 90% of people in my race (which included inevitable and avoidable crashes) did.

Last edited:
Don't think anyone is saying that their race is more important or that cars on slower strategies don't have a right to the position; but even in your post you cite an example where the slower car lost far more overall race time by overly defending/fighting the position - think that's all Zoky was saying - they'd be much better off just driving their own race instead of slowing both parties down.

Again, pretty sure drivers like Zoky are both well aware, and well capable of, passing slower drivers cleanly and fairly.

It's also part of "racecraft" to not get too heated and start blocking/defending cars that are clearly on a faster strategy to the detriment of your own race time.

The car i was fighting could have been on a slow strategy where the time i lost was more important than the time he would have gained. And in this case he did cost me more time than he lost. He wasn't on a slow strategy , he was just slow and i was dead last thanks to an early spin from someone that took the inside line and needed more space. I still had a fun race :-)

Finished 2nd in Nations for 2509 points. Another epic result. Winner was faster than me in quali, AND didn't pit in the Audi R18. Good on him!

Otherwise seemed strategies were pretty comparable overall.

Qualified 18th and finished 15th in manufacturers, its honestly not worth running if you're in an FR car now post-patch, you've not got a prayer. Retiring from that to focus on Nations now!

Actually in my state (NJ USA) it is illegal to drive the left lane unless you are passing or have traffic to your right. Still nobody ever pays attention and block the left lane for miles!!! Or drive the left on a completely open highway w no traffic. If a police officer sees you pass a left lane deiver by going right, you will be the one getting the ticket most probably, its ridiculous and costly error, i believe inproper passing is a 4 or 5 point violation! You only get 12 points to work with here.

I have seen crazy aggressive blocking from drivers in gt sport. PD please do something about this. i understand unintentional contact in corners but zig zagging to block or intentionally swiping a faster car on a long staight such as monza or la sarthe is completely uncalled for. Racing etiquette calls for 1 move in 1 direction while defending. The game should reward clean driving far more

Last edited:
The winner of top split for the first Asian timeslot comfortably won with a 0 stop strategy, the guy he was battling in the first stint only had 1 car to pass after his stop. I thought it was a 'no go' :lol:
Reckon the fact he had me behind him and not someone more elite probably played a role in that.

Also I think he would've won by more if he had have pitted.

Finished 2nd in Nations for 2509 points. Another epic result. Winner was faster than me in quali, AND didn't pit in the Audi R18. Good on him!

Otherwise seemed strategies were pretty comparable overall.

Qualified 18th and finished 15th in manufacturers, its honestly not worth running if you're in an FR car now post-patch, you've not got a prayer. Retiring from that to focus on Nations now!

Well raced.

I had no answer in my マツダ and couldn't even get close. I'd catch up a bit through the corners and watch all the "gains" go bye bye down the straights.

The winner of top split for the first Asian timeslot comfortably won with a 0 stop strategy, the guy he was battling in the first stint only had 1 car to pass after his stop. I thought it was a 'no go' :lol:
Could you tell me his total time of the race and I will write my down then on 1 stop strategy....btw L-Shooter won easily on slot 2 using 1 stop.

I was 15secs slower yesterday on no-stop with pug, but some other cars may be more gentle with the tyres and also on slower pace then probably.

Could you tell me his total time of the race and I will write my down then on 1 stop strategy....btw L-Shooter won easily on slot 2 using 1 stop.

I was 15secs slower yesterday on no-stop with pug, but some other cars may be more gentle with the tyres and also on slower pace then probably.

23:16 for the 0 stop win vs 23:15 for Shooter. The Peugeot is awful after 10 laps on the tyres, the Audi only drops noticeably in pace in the final few laps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back