FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Run down of my Manu evening.

Race 1 - I got an unfortunate bump on lap 1, putting me into the gravel.
I couldn't get the car to behave itself after getting back on track and it was pointless continuing, so I parked it up in the pits.

Race 2 - I drove bad.
Qualied bad, raced bad. End of story.

Race 3 - 1:29.4 qualy, which is excellent for me.
P7 race start and everything was going well.
I was struggling with the tyres more than usual, so I decided to pit lap 5 instead of doing 6 for the first stint.
Oops, I cut off the refill of fuel as I had done previously, which was good for 5 laps.
No prizes for guessing that I ran out of fuel. :lol:

I have no idea why, but I was slowly catching a friend who was also out of fuel.
I went to bunt him across the finish line only to see his car ghost and I pipped him on the line for 14th(?) place. :lol:

Such a shame that I ruined what would have easily been the biggest points haul I've had this season, all for the sake of 2 seconds in the pits and failing to recognise the race strategy change.
But at least I was still laughing crossing the finish line. 👍

@Tidgney
The only one I'm torn on is the single entry. Although I definitely see where you're coming from, I think disconnections are simply too strong of an argument against abandoning unlimited race entries. It's not only the chance to get points that's lost, it's the hype as well :indiff: They need to do something about disconnections first before re-implementing single entries in my opinion. I can imagine how frustrated someone can be when they DC, especially if they're fighting for a position at a live event.

Simple solution : for a X rounds season, you get one entry per round + X/8 joker entries (rounded up) to use whenever you want in the season. If you get disconnect more than 10% of the time, then you probably have an issue on your end.

Also, videos of the test races Tidgney is talking about :

Nations Attempt 1: POLE POSITION with a 1:25.923! Aaand then I was a disgraceful bastard to get me down to P9. Oh and aiueo_kox_onl986-san was a bit angry after that...because he's the guy that I punted off after I served my 0.5 second penalty, which gave me a race costing 5 second penalty.

UPDATE: rip me because I couldn't grind some SR back (went down to 86 after that disgraceful race) with Race C (booted before matchmaking starts), so I wouldn't risk it again.

Last edited:
I can honestly say that if you get everything right, no stopping is really the way to go with these high tyre wear races. It's more consistent, you don't get involved in battles (which slows you down and wears your tyres even more), and you basically just overtake people when they pit (zero risk). The key is to qualify high enough AND get through the first lap without getting divebombed by the stoppers who are trying to get past like their pants are on fire :lol: If someone passes you later with fresh tyres, chances are they just have that much more pace and deserve to finish ahead. Can't do anything about that (even if you go for a 1 stop, they'll also beat you on pure pace).

So the best way to win the race is to avoid racing :)

2nd at Spain for 898 points. Got beat by a no-stopper who I took 13 seconds out of over the last two laps. I might have been able to be closer towards the end if I hadn't been stuck behind him and another guy for two or three laps at the start. It's really annoying trying to drive the SF cars avoiding contact with people. If they don't go as fast as you do at certain points on the track, the speed and agility of the car are a bad combination. I got a track cutting penalty trying to avoid the guy, but when I inevitably punted him off I didn't get a penalty, like the game recognised he was going too slowly.

Still, it's some effort from anyone who manages to do this without stopping, so well done if you manage it.

2nd at Spain for 898 points. Got beat by a no-stopper who I took 13 seconds out of over the last two laps. I might have been able to be closer towards the end if I hadn't been stuck behind him and another guy for two or three laps at the start. It's really annoying trying to drive the SF cars avoiding contact with people. If they don't go as fast as you do at certain points on the track, the speed and agility of the car are a bad combination. I got a track cutting penalty trying to avoid the guy, but when I inevitably punted him off I didn't get a penalty, like the game recognised he was going too slowly.

Still, it's some effort from anyone who manages to do this without stopping, so well done if you manage it.

Well done if they give you a fair fight. Taking defensive lines and giving you a hard time, that's fair enough. But there's a lot of weaving and people throwing themselves to the apex when they have a guy on the inside already. You end up ruining your tyres and there goes your advantage.

EDIT: Just did a race, most of the no-stoppers were fine, the ones I was actually faster just required a bit of patience, but there was one guy who just bumped two guys to not let them pass, and then slid off track and they got 3 seconds penalty each. Fun times.

Last edited:
Well done if they give you a fair fight. Taking defensive lines and giving you a hard time, that's fair enough. But there's a lot of weaving and people throwing themselves to the apex when they have a guy on the inside already. You end up ruining your tyres and there goes your advantage.

EDIT: Just did a race, most of the no-stoppers were fine, the ones I was actually faster just required a bit of patience, but there was one guy who just bumped two guys to not let them pass, and then slid off track and they got 3 seconds penalty each. Fun times.
I sort of mangled that post.

1st had a lead of 4/5 seconds up to the first pit stop. 2nd at this point was the sole no-stopper. 3rd was the slower one I ended up punting off, I was in 4th. After watching the replay back I think 3rd was being held up by 2nd as much as I was being held up by 3rd. Not deliberately, just a natural result of the strategy choice.

By the time I'd pitted and realised one of that group was no-stopping, it was too late. I was driving, or attempting to drive, to my limits and I was at about the same pace as the no-stopper at the start. I don't think there was anything malicious in it, just the natural conclusion of different strategies.

First race in Spain. Qualified 3rd. Had a false start. Got pushed off track in t4. Now I'm last. Put my head down and try to do what I can. Got fastest lap and finished 6th. Got promoted to Dr A.

Went for medium fronts. Next time gonna try all out speed on all softs.

I tried to make a comeback at Brands Hatch today but I realized that round was disatisfying and disinteresting. When I qualified 9th, I was completely disatisfied with the result. I thus quit that race before it began. I vow never to return to Brands Hatch in any future point race.

Just realised there are two Gr.3 races for Wednesday's races. Has that ever happened in previous days?

Manu race, well, let's just say the Ferrari Gr.4 is hopeless. No pace at all arounds Brands and having to shortshift means I'm never in the rev range to make any power :lol: Started 15th and finished 12th. Damage limitation at its best lol.

The GR4 Ferrari surprised me honestly. I felt it had decent pace, not the quickest but was solid around Brands, had power in the right spots to hold a position. I qualied 8th with an ok lap, was stuck behind the ford of adam2167 for the first stint. Pitted lap 5 after fuel saving (which i feel the ferrari is decent at that also) and came out ahead of a number of cars who pitted the lap after. The no stoppers fell back and finished up in 4th for 2100pts.. My best points result for Ferrari in 2 seasons.

2nd race got pole by 4 milliseconds. 26.777. But the other guy just had better race pace than me. Being a 2 man race I just brought home the car and 1220 points. I feel like I could so better but that's my best result so far this season, must not be greedy.

Just won my Nations Race. Went full softs, pitted at the end of lap 5 in 2nd place after starting in 7th. The leading car pitted on Lap 4, so I guess he went for Mediums, because he made a mistake on turn 5, I devoured him on the inside and built up a comfortable 6.5 seconds gap, which by the finish came down to 4.9s.

I have only done a couple of FIA events.
Guess got lucky and got grouped with a field where I had the edge. Qualified on pole and for the most part had clean air entire race. Took the win which was a surprise. This was manufactures at Brand Hatch in the Vette. Pitted at the end of lap 6 and forgot to change my tires. Had a decent lead though and took it easy on tires rest of the 5 laps.

A happy moment and will have to try these events once in awhile.

pole, win, clean race bonus.

Managed a 4th place in the Nations race, low room so 35 pts. Only one bad bump session, others around me started it but I bumped back to stay on track, got 2 seconds for it. Happily served. Goin for the Manufacturers now, Brands Hatch is not my favorite.

The GR4 Ferrari surprised me honestly. I felt it had decent pace, not the quickest but was solid around Brands, had power in the right spots to hold a position. I qualied 8th with an ok lap, was stuck behind the ford of adam2167 for the first stint. Pitted lap 5 after fuel saving (which i feel the ferrari is decent at that also) and came out ahead of a number of cars who pitted the lap after. The no stoppers fell back and finished up in 4th for 2100pts.. My best points result for Ferrari in 2 seasons.

The Gr.4 Ferrari is one of my favourites, it's a lot more manageable than the GT3 class car, and mid-engined would definitely help around Brands Hatch.

Only ran manufacturers today. Did it twice. First one was average, second one looked like it was going to be average as well after my again bad qualy (need to sort it out fast, I'm choking my fastest laps everytime). Starting 6th, I tried to stay close to the pack in front, then the last lap happened. Jesus christ, what a finish! Big points again for Jaguar, in a combo which it struggled, so I'm very satisfied.

Only gave nations one go as I simply dont like the freneticness of the super formula cars despite being quite good at driving them.

As usual screwed my qualifying so started 13th. Went 5 soft 6 meds and finished 7th. Good start, couple of offs and the odd pass. Pressured 6th place for much of the 2nd stint but they defended well and the dirty air killed me. Was happy with the 1400 points this earned.

Gave manufacturers 3 go's which is unusual for me and in all 3 bottled qualifying. First effort was 8th from 10th on grid. 2nd was looking promising until I got a 4 second penalty on lap 8 which I still haven't worked out reason for despite watching replay several times. 13th in end

So all rests on the 3rd slot. Once again screwed the pooch in qualifying. Twice I was purple going onto back straight and twice everything goes scrappy. It's a 13th place start again.

My car is great as the stints go on but passing is so difficult around brands and the Toyota 86 just doesn't have the grunt. Anyways after the stops on lap 5-6 I'm 11th with a 458 badly holding me up but as we hit the start finish straight a no stopping BMW gets in the ferraris way. We go 3 wide down straight, i claim the inside and get the pass on the beamer but the ferrari sweeps around the outside and we are side by side into the hairpin but i have the inside. Double pass executed and honestly just awesome racing.

I'm 8th now as during all that a Cayman dropped it in turn 1. 2 laps to go and 2nd is literally in sight. A megane goes flying off in front and rejoins just behind me. It's the pole sitter and i guess they are mad. Last lap, 2 corners to go and thump, they have plain bumped me off, somehow despite losing 8 seconds I only lose 1 further place and come hope a extremely angry 9th. Let's just say Italians were not my favourite folk at that moment in time.

I get that contacts happen but the hit I got threw me completely of track, it felt deliberate and looking back at replay the megane driver, whilst clearly capable of being quick, was very scrappy and was in constant alterations. Just annoyed me that I raced my proverbial off for 10.5 laps and someone has so little respect for other racers they do stuff like that.

Anyways it's clear to me that I need to improve qualifying as in every race I move forward but spend most of it looking at rear bumpers!!!

Want to see how a car with one of the worst tire wear in Group 4 fares at Brands Hatch? Here you go!

To think that I qualified 5th in the final slot of the night. Dropped to 9th because, you guessed it, tire wear.

All I can say is that for any of my Pug bros that chose the VGT Group 3, get ready for Wednesday. Far and away the best chance for points.

Completely bottled the race on the first lap but got really close at the end. I think this is the first time I've got 2600 points and been disappointed.

My qualifying also shows how much strength in depth EMEA has. My lap would have been enough for pole in all 3 top split races but was only enough for P2 in 2nd split.

Last edited:
Nations: Got 1714 which is not bad for Oceania and improves my score slightly, with my new policy on not gambling away nations points anymore, I banked it, watched Nik Maks stream for the second slot and 1st place was worth around 1900, good call.

Manufacturer: Just could not get anything going in first or second time slot, got a major headache just after the second race so didn't try the third slot, Aston drops to 13th overall :guilty:

Last edited:
Nations, went from 99 to 70 in sr, don't know to laugh or cry.
I think it was 6 incidents. 4 of them happend in qualification, fuel burning is dangerous!! And than i run out of fuel in the end of last lap, alot of people crashed into me, could probably avoided 1 of the incidents.
This could be the final nail in the coffin for my gt sport career. Too bad, was only 3000 points before I went up to A+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back