FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did race at Sardegna, nations. Turned out far netter than I thought it would. Never used GTR and stared 17th, finished 7. Happy w my 103 pts for the effort! Race surprising clean for weak to no penalties and out of control cars ghosted immediately, thanks PD. Done for the night. Have great races folks.

A small gripe PD, I have been seeing that helmet and suit liveries havent been properly displaying in fia races as of late, can this bug be fixed?

It was an interesting Nations race, to say the least. I got a full C/S lobby. It then starts with me getting t-boned by a Ford GT in T1 during qualy. After that, I just say screw it and I'll race from the back. One person quit during qualification, so I successfully place 19th. At the green light, I manage to ram a car two places ahead of me that decided not to start, for some reason. I almost successfully swerved around him but my front right bumper got him good.

It was surprisingly mostly clean racing from there. The back half of the field obviously didn't practice the track too much, if at all. I get up to 10th just by letting people drive themselves into the gravel. After that, I successfully set up two drivers for passes on T1.

FIA Pass1 Jan 11.jpg FIA Pass2 Jan 11.jpg

Even though I never really got in a fast lap (best lap was 54 flat), I got in with a group battling for 4th-8th. Places were gained and lost but ultimately, it was people going in for a second stop that moved me up to 6th for good. Lap 24 P5 bottles and I go around him. Lap 25 P3&P4 get tangled up and I scoot past P4 and almost make it around P3 but no dice.

But 19th to 4th. I was not expecting that. I'm done with FIA for the night.

FIA Finish Jan 11.jpg

Last edited:
The first race was awful for me... Started P8, unfortunately I was on the outside for turn 1 and got punted as several others (replay showed it was more of a racing incident than someone actually messing up). So I was P18 or so. In the next laps I gained several places due to players crashing out. After the pit stops I was P9, then made a mistake and ended up in P11 I believe.

2nd race started P11. This time I was on the inside and gained some places in turn 1. Had several battles throughout (very fun and fair!) and in the end it was P3. That one was very fun. Maybe I'll upload the footage later

Here it is. Qualifying starts around 09:30, the race starts around 20:20.

I decided to do Nations today to try to give myself the progress I need to get into A-rank DR.

I tried the Corvette first. Didn't want to use the GT-R for this when I'm already with Nissan in Manufactures. Unfortunately, the race did not go well. I qualified 10th and things were going all right until a Peugeot RCZ rammed me, causing me to lose a few positions and things just went downhill from there. Later, I spun out on turn 1, dropping me to dead last. I recovered a little and finished 15th.

The first race wasn't the Corvette's fault but I didn't want to take any more risks so I used the GT-R for the second attempt. This race went much, much better. I qualified 4th. I botched my start a bit by getting too much wheelspin and fell into 6th going into turn 1, but what was most important was that I didn't get destroyed despite being surrounded by other cars. I got back into 4th relatively quickly and pitted on lap 12 for another set of mediums. When I came out, I was in 3rd. For a few laps, I was alone until another GT-R driver started gaining. I made a minor slipup, which was enough for them to pass me. This driver also ended up having the fastest lap, so my chances of taking the position back were slim. In the end, I secured my original position. A bit disappointed that I didn't make podium, but at the same time, I'm relieved that things didn't go south, especially with the penalty system being virtually non-existent right now. The drivers I encountered were clean, thankfully. Also, the winner of the race used the Huracan, so it was good to see that the GT-R wasn't completely dominant.

full

Last edited:
Pretty much a royal rumble tonight in nations I was pretty much wiped out in the 1st 4 races after qualifying in top 5 each time , two of those races I had the privilege of being wiped up by the marvellous one and ended up at the back with the status bar flashing on every corner of the car .

final race thou I gave as good as I got and came away with a 2nd for 203 points witch means I’m on course to hit the 1000 point mark for the first time .

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason I don't seem to extract as much out of the "meta' cars in the FIA races as everyone else. In Nations practice I was only a little over 0.1s quicker in the GT-R than I was in my Corvette. I decided to go with the GT-R into the 2nd slot of the night though. I was placed in a higher-ranked room than I usually get placed in (winner was 203 points) and my car number was 20. I qualified 15th and finished 13th after making up a ton of spots on the first lap courtesy of everyone wrecking. In the end I faded back to 11th and was on course to finish there but I ran too wide after the fast(ish) left-hander and hit the wall and spun towards the end of the race. I eventually ccrossed the line in 13th.

101 points for 13th wasn't enough for me so I went again in the 3rd slot of the evening and dec ided to use my trusty Corvette. This time I qualified and finished 9th and got 127 points. It's my lowest score of the season so far, but I'm not gonna risk it in these Wild Wild West penalty-less races. Still, I'm a little disappointed because I enjoy this track and was expecting to perform a bit better.

Last edited:
At first I was heavily disappointed by the GTR as well. Did laps in several GT3 cars (around 11 I think) to practice. The GTR was the last. (Initially I planned to test every GT3 car I own but in the end I got bored and my hands got tired)
At first I was shocked as it heavily understeered compared to the others. I was able to put faster laps in the Aston, the Corvette and the Lambo, although only the Lambo was really faster (the others just about 0.05secs). But after several laps I got the hang of it and decided to race it as it promised good tire wear and a pretty stable car.

Tried to qualifying using slipstream. Mistake in retrospect as the NA lobbies weren't good enough to do this. Started midpack and fell to the rear by bogging down the GT-R at launch. Pretty much a throwaway although I felt my pace was strong.

Second time was one of my best performances in a while. Excellent q with no assistance and a few laps where I was matching leader's pace. Maybe a bit too fast because I used up my fuel more than expected. I had another resident alien right behind me so I was in a real bind!

Yeah I saw his stream and there were people calling me an idiot and dirty. Yeah definitely latency issues, guess thats bound to happen when some players live on the opposite side of the world from the servers that they play on... shame because it ruined 3 peoples races. I'll take some responsibility, I did go in a bit deep. Careful T1 everyone!

100% that latency is to blame. I think latency becomes a bigger issue the "faster" the cars get with the decreased reaction time required to avoid contact. His movements and your movements from his perspective are delayed by around 0.3 of a second. IMHO - thats far too slow to have a reasonable race without the game applying some significant ghosting. His saving grace is that he is usually fast enough to start from the front and pull away... but still I think it makes it hard for other players to overtake him, and vice versa, cleanly if you can't get within ~0.3s without running the risk of a collision.

Well I'm putting my Nations race down to extreme tiredness and 5 pints of lager! Couldn't get a tow in qualifying until my last lap, never really hooked one up anyway, then got smacked by a Spaniard from miles back into the final corner of my final lap so started last. The Spaniard had criticism from more than one quarter and when I asked what the hell he was doing his reply was "What?". I'll check his graphs later, maybe it was his first time at SR S.

Anyway, the race had a Brazilian in it masquerading as a Portuguese who some seemed to know and he waltzed off with the win with a time befitting of top split (22:01). My race was going ok, the predicted carnage had seen me climb up to 8th, following a group of three quite closely but my tyres were really suffering. A couple of mistakes and I was into the clutches of an Italian on my in lap, who hit me three times before spinning me on the final corner. He was the only person in the race to get a penalty and not for any of the contact with me. So that relegated me down to around 16th after my stop. Gradually climbing through again, behind two cars going up the hill into the final corner and I did what I've done countless times in lobbies (and a few times in this race) when behind cars, and move towards the outside into the final corner to get a little cut back - but the car decided not to slow down, a little contact with the outside barrier, which is normally no problem, led to a slow, sad and apologetic spin (I'm sure we've all had them!), and I was down to 18th. Ploughing on, I made up a couple of places and had a decent battle with an Aston for a couple of laps and at the moment I'd conceded he was going to end up with 14th, he runs out of fuel exiting the final corner.

I finished almost a lap behind the leader, and a full 30s off my practice times. I made a couple of small mistakes in the race, wasn't quite at it and I know that's more down to the day I had than anything else! But I didn't cause any contacts (didn't get a CRB though, managed to lose that during my pit stop!) and seeing some of the driving that went on and got no punishment, I'd rather have penalties for everything.

The good news from my point is that's three from four races done so far so with a bit of luck I'll be able to run more and knock this and my low finish at Spa off from my results!

On to Maggiore in the wheel spin machine

C9AF3136-AF6E-4A82-90EA-A8A1C8AD62D1.jpeg

Got pole in the NSX which was a surprise as I really didn’t feel quick on that track. Had no idea what the best strategy was to do and got spooked by the amount of tyre wear on softs after only 2 laps of qualifying! Opted to start on mediums. Lost a position to a Porsche on lap 4 that turned out to also be running on mediums. Pitted lap 6 for Hards. Came out in traffic and lost some time. Lap 7 someone in a Hyundai obviously running on softs flew by so was thinking maybe the best strategy would have been to run Hards then softs! He got 20 seconds for not using hards so explained why he was so quick!:lol:

What’s the strategy for Manu this time?

Depends on the drive train of your car and your ability to save tyres. Seems 1 stop is quickest if you can make it work, so just need to work out how long you can make softs last before laptimes drop off. Hard tyres are about 2 seconds a lap slower. 2 stop strategies are viable and in some cases necessary. So 3S/3S/3H or 4S/4S/1H (and variations of these) will be popular options.

A very small amount of fuel saving might be needed, again depending on the car. You don't want to have to take on fuel as it costs a lot more time than the minimal fuel saving does.

@pantherjag did a pretty exhaustive guide on the strategies although he doesn't delve into the 1 stop as that's likely limited to a very small number of cars.

Depends on the drive train of your car and your ability to save tyres. Seems 1 stop is quickest if you can make it work, so just need to work out how long you can make softs last before laptimes drop off. Hard tyres are about 2 seconds a lap slower. 2 stop strategies are viable and in some cases necessary. So 3S/3S/3H or 4S/4S/1H (and variations of these) will be popular options.

A very small amount of fuel saving might be needed, again depending on the car. You don't want to have to take on fuel as it costs a lot more time than the minimal fuel saving does.

@pantherjag did a pretty exhaustive guide on the strategies although he doesn't delve into the 1 stop as that's likely limited to a very small number of cars.

Thanks Watto. May give the 3/3/3 a go as I’m not the best at saving tyres and the Lambo isn’t the best for it either!

And thanks @pantherjag i totally missed this. Always watch your guides for advice!

Went with the VW GTI yesterday (because why not) I had actually managed a better time in it than the Huracan. Unfortunately I botched sector 1 during which put me way down the order. The first half the race went relatively well, was making positions and keeping it on the track. Unfortunately on lap 12 as the early stoppers were coming through, I just turned in way too late into T1 and was in the gravel. After that it just snowballed thanks to some questionable driving and some of my own mistakes and in the end I finished right at the back. So yeah it went pretty poorly in the end.

Pretty much a royal rumble tonight in nations I was pretty much wiped out in the 1st 4 races after qualifying in top 5 each time , two of those races I had the privilege of being wiped up by the marvellous one and ended up at the back with the status bar flashing on every corner of the car .

final race thou I gave as good as I got and came away with a 2nd for 203 points witch means I’m on course to hit the 1000 point mark for the first time .

Whats your PSN bud I'd say you were in most of my races as I had him in them. Not just him but two other drivers from the same nation were just wiping people out all over the place. I got wrecked in all 4 races after qualifying in top 5 for last two and trying to be careful of others but that got me nowhere. Royal rumble is the perfect description of what it was :crazy:

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m thinking about going 1H/4S/4S to burn off the Hards in the 1st lap traffic. A stop without fuel is about 10s.
I don't think it's worth trying to 2-stop. I was going S/H/S 3/3/3, there was too much traffic when I came out. Plus I got absolutely sent into turn 3 by some clown in an SLS who I passed coming up to the finish line because someone spun him out. In the chat after he said "**** you and **** your family" to the person who spun him, which I took great delight in. Currently waiting for the replay to load to see what happened to him. (Ed - I take it back. He was harassed, seemingly for nothing, by the other guy. Who was also responsible for the punt on me)

Anyway, there are too many cars here that are better on their tyres than the GT-R. If you want to take a chance and hope you get a clean room then try, but I wouldn't risk it. I also lost my clean race bonus here, somehow. Fantastic.

I’m thinking about going 1H/4S/4S to burn off the Hards in the 1st lap traffic. A stop without fuel is about 10s.

I don't think it's worth trying to 2-stop. I was going S/H/S 3/3/3, there was too much traffic when I came out. Plus I got absolutely sent into turn 3 by some clown in an SLS who I passed coming up to the finish line because someone spun him out. In the chat after he said "**** you and **** your family" to the person who spun him, which I took great delight in. Currently waiting for the replay to load to see what happened to him. (Ed - I take it back. He was harassed, seemingly for nothing, by the other guy. Who was also responsible for the punt on me)

Anyway, there are too many cars here that are better on their tyres than the GT-R. If you want to take a chance and hope you get a clean room then try, but I wouldn't risk it. I also lost my clean race bonus here, somehow. Fantastic.

I did some testing last night and I think for cars that are hungry for tires, a 2-stop might actually be faster, but not if you use the hards for 3 laps. One or two laps max on the hards. I'm in the AWD Atenza, and it eats fronts like crazy. The hard tires seem to be almost 3s slower per lap, and the pit lane loss is 7-8 seconds without taking fuel. I was putting up low 2:19-20's on softs and 2:22-23's on hards. It's close, but 2-stop was around 4-5 seconds faster based on my rough math, which admittedly, is filled with "maybes." My best time was 4s, 1h, 4s, but I like the idea of starting on hards just to see how the first lap goes. If you get a good start and are able to stay in the slipstream, it might be worth staying out on hards for 5 laps then 1-stopping for softs till the end.

Yes!!!! At long long last!! Victory!

74D37C6B-95BF-46BE-BCAE-CCC736DDBB10.jpeg

Thanks @watto79 and @pantherjag or course for the strategy advice! :cheers:

1120DADF-7AEC-45A3-B3F9-0AC2EC21285C.jpeg

Ran the S/S/H strategy after qualifying 4th. Was into the lead by lap 2. Came out in 4th on final stop but had fresher tires. Overtook 1st place on the final straight for a dramatic finish only to find he hadn’t used hards so I would have won anyway. :lol: Took the gloss off a tiny tiny bit but I’m delighted. Can put my feet up for the rest of the evening too :lol:

2CCE45AD-ECFB-49A1-A847-C8DE8DFA0A94.jpeg

Manufacturers went alright today, after an ok quality session I started P8 and on lap 2 made a move out of T3 to gain 2 spots. After at from behind I dropped a couple of spots to P8 again pitting on lap 3 for a 3S/3S/3H strategy. Got an awesome move done on the out lap to gain 3 spots after rejoining behind a slower pack on older tyres cost me a little time. Got a stupid little 1 second penalty lap 6 for a track limits at T1 which properly screwed me over. Managed to finish 8th after the driver in 3rd didn't use the hard tyres and someone else ran out of fuel on the pit straight. Decent result and I managed to get up to A DR again! Gr4 Corvette felt good and definitely a power car, overall didn't feel as competitive as the Gr3 car which really surprised me TBH.

I did some testing last night and I think for cars that are hungry for tires, a 2-stop might actually be faster, but not if you use the hards for 3 laps. One or two laps max on the hards. I'm in the AWD Atenza, and it eats fronts like crazy. The hard tires seem to be almost 3s slower per lap, and the pit lane loss is 7-8 seconds without taking fuel. I was putting up low 2:19-20's on softs and 2:22-23's on hards. It's close, but 2-stop was around 4-5 seconds faster based on my rough math, which admittedly, is filled with "maybes." My best time was 4s, 1h, 4s, but I like the idea of starting on hards just to see how the first lap goes. If you get a good start and are able to stay in the slipstream, it might be worth staying out on hards for 5 laps then 1-stopping for softs till the end.
Yeah I'm going again and I'm going to start on hards (I qualified 2nd, so I was hoping to run away) and do 5 laps. If there's enough separation I'll try for a 2-stop, but I don't think I'm consistent enough to make the extra time count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back