FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an amazing race at my favorite track Interlagos. Qualified 5th and started on Mediums. There were clearly a mix of strategies and I noted the tires of the first cars in the video as a graphic. The racing was hard but very clean among the top 5 cars. Two cars ended up with penalties for not using the two tire compounds. The two Benz in the race clearly suffered with their tires as well as the yellow Vette that I pass late in the race. Great fun !

EOrt7H1X0AEQMc4.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi! My yesterdays Manu went well. Qualified 5th in Jag. Finished 3rd 96pts which is my best result so far. Whole podium was Polish(yeah woo hoo). Whats interesting winner was a girl, can you believe it? She got pole and win in pink livered 86. After the race i say: you cant be a girl beacause girls cant drive;) she says: I hear it all the time, but here I am. Second guy was also Polish but under british flag. In fact i crossed the line 4th, but german in M4 who I let pass me, as I see was faster after pit like 1,5s per lap didnt use hards and get +20s. Good race.

Funstrating night. Frustrated because in three qualifying attempts, I had a bit of slipstream maybe once and so it put me far down the grid every time. The fun part was making the climb. I did have winning pace but came away empty handed. Played it too nice when I shouldn't have.

Funstrating night. Frustrated because in three qualifying attempts, I had a bit of slipstream maybe once and so it put me far down the grid every time. The fun part was making the climb. I did have winning pace but came away empty handed. Played it too nice when I shouldn't have.
I can't wait until I'm disappointed with over 300 points. :lol:

Manufacturers - Mistakes Were Made

Interlagos is a weak track for me. I've always struggled for pace but using the 4C seemed to have given me a bit of a boost. I decided before the event that I'd take a top 10 finish. Qualifying goes unbelievably well and I get P5, and that was without a slipstream. Couldn't believe it. A decent result is now mine to lose.........

So I kinda forgot that cold tyres are a thing :lol: I get turns 1 and 2 HORRIBLY wrong, go off track on the inside to turn 3 and power slide my way through the rest of the turn. I pick up a .5s penalty and immediately drop to 10th. By the time the penalty is served a lap later I'm down to 17th :irked: Then it turns out the racing in the mid-pack was absolutely brutal. There was an Austrian in a GTR who thought they were playing wreckfest as I saw them punt two others and then miss a massive attempt at a side swipe on the start finish straight. I was lucky to get past cleanly as they served their 6 second penalty. Thanks to the new system though they (and everyone), finished the race with a blue SR.

The 4C is fortunately strong on tyres and it kinda got me out of jail. The plan was to pit at the end of lap 7 to switch to hards. Due to being held up with the bumpfest midpack by the end of lap 7 I felt my tyres were still 'okay' and perhaps another lap was possible. I had a moment of indecision. Pit? Don't pit? I decided to pit and my indecision meant crossing the pit line and picking up another .5s penalty :lol:

The second stint I was basically on my own. I was alongside a corvette with another car right behind us after turn 4 when the corvette decides to do a huge brake check on the car behind. Couldn't believe it but it cleared the track for me. Crossed the line P9, but a car ahead didn't use both tyre compounds so get promoted to P8. Could have and should have been a lot better but I was one shotting FIA yesterday so left it at that.

Not the ideal line for turn 3.
20200120105857.jpg

Not the ideal line into the pits.
20200120105845.jpg

Not the ideal result, but it will do!
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200119225720.jpg

Did a couple of races last night at interlagos, both with the same result. P12 and 112 points... Decided not to try anymore because even when there were fun battles through the race, both races I was hitted hard in my back while braking. So find it not worthy to keep pushing my luck.

Some people seems to not know where to brake, in my first race there was a VW who hitted me hard at T2 (end of back straight) then hitted a Merc when going through the infield and went wide on the last turn. So as it went wide I got through only to be punted of when braking in the esses. It is a shame since most of the people are doing their best efforts to keep it clean.
Second race went better at least during lap 1. I was P8 because of some cars that started in front of me being involved in crashes or mistakes. My recovery race died a few laps later when a 🤬 punted me in T2. He got a better exit to the straight so I went inmediately to my left covering the inside line for the braking point. He never minded moving to the right to attack, directly braked into my car. What really gets me is the same guy hitted me the same way on Sardegna C nations cup round. Both times I took revenge but it´s not the way it is supposed to be. Be clean and I will be clean, hit me on porpouse and be prepared to be treated the same way.

I hope PD gets the penalty system right soon, but meantime I congratulate those who keep it clean without the rules enforcing good behaviour. And to those who dont... mmmm, well...

If you dive the last corner at Interlagos on lap 1 of an FIA race, I pray you have dirty tires for all your days.

HEY, That's me in P2! Too bad I couldn't stay there, bloody Lancer. I tried to undercut everyone but I was too hard on my hard tires second stint. Might have been a different story if I pit at the end of lap 6 like everyone else. I was defending from that Redline guy for a good 3 laps until you guys got by me at turn 4. Kudos to him for the clean driving. He clearly had the pace and I kept defending against him, with no contact penalty he easily could have just punted me forward and passed me but he didn't.

Trying to catch up with all the changes since I took a break in September... can someone explain this new slipstream dependency on qualifying? Is it just a trend or was there any actual change on slipstream or dirty air physics recently? What happened?

It feels like Monza GP of last year in F1, where everyone is waiting for the tow and no one wants to go first. Problem is, with 5 min sessions, it's becoming more about luck than skills now. I see that in latam servers, some friends are coordinating their qualy laps through voice chat. Team play seems to be making a difference in this case.

As for the non-existent penalties for contact, I'm starting to think that it might work for the higher ranked grids where racecraft or driver reputation is taken more seriously, but even so, I think there should be a penalty system in place. Maybe lower penalties for A+/S and harsher penalties for lower ranks?

Some people seems to not know where to brake, in my first race there was a VW who hitted me hard at T2 (end of back straight) then hitted a Merc when going through the infield and went wide on the last turn. So as it went wide I got through only to be punted of when braking in the esses. It is a shame since most of the people are doing their best efforts to keep it clean.

How do you get to DR.A/A+ without having a basic idea of where the braking points are? Yes, we all have tracks that we are worse at than others but shouldn't someone that bad be lagging behind and chasing the pack?

HEY, That's me in P2! Too bad I couldn't stay there, bloody Lancer. I tried to undercut everyone but I was too hard on my hard tires second stint. Might have been a different story if I pit at the end of lap 6 like everyone else. I was defending from that Redline guy for a good 3 laps until you guys got by me at turn 4. Kudos to him for the clean driving. He clearly had the pace and I kept defending against him, with no contact penalty he easily could have just punted me forward and passed me but he didn't.
Cheers man! Was a great race overall. Really enjoyed the battles you and I had. Like you said, given that the contact penalties are gone it was way cleaner than I was expecting.

Already shared this with you directly, but for everyone else, we had a great photo finish after a really eventful last lap.
ap_2AA3A06B-5165-4F27-AA10-56AC343C0787.JPG

Trying to catch up with all the changes since I took a break in September... can someone explain this new slipstream dependency on qualifying? Is it just a trend or was there any actual change on slipstream or dirty air physics recently? What happened?

It was a few updates ago when they changed the slipstream. I think several things have changed since you were competing last.

Slipstream is stronger, and now has an effect for up to 1.5s, which also means you can feel the dirty air if you are 1.5s behind. Because of this, it's much easier to get somebody's slipstream in qualifying.

I think the grip has changed too since I last saw you around. Cold tires are more of an issue than they used to be. In some cases, I can feel less grip on cold tires for almost an entire lap.

Most of my brake balance settings have changed too, because of the lift-off effect. Lifting off the brakes while turning in causes your car to rotate a lot more than it used to. In many cases my BB is back to 0 for cars that I used to run +3.

I can't wait until I'm disappointed with over 300 points. :lol:
If I ever want to earn my way back to a WT, I will need to score 300+ minimum when it matters. Wasn't sure if that was possible until recently.

On a side note, this slipstream needs fixing asap. Qualifying feels more like a random draw now and racing a nuthouse when you can't pull away from anyone.

It was a few updates ago when they changed the slipstream. I think several things have changed since you were competing last.

Slipstream is stronger, and now has an effect for up to 1.5s, which also means you can feel the dirty air if you are 1.5s behind. Because of this, it's much easier to get somebody's slipstream in qualifying.

I think the grip has changed too since I last saw you around. Cold tires are more of an issue than they used to be. In some cases, I can feel less grip on cold tires for almost an entire lap.

Most of my brake balance settings have changed too, because of the lift-off effect. Lifting off the brakes while turning in causes your car to rotate a lot more than it used to. In many cases my BB is back to 0 for cars that I used to run +3.
Cold tires were a huge problem yesterday at the Senna S, especially on hard tires. Also noticed the emphasis on lift-off as you mentioned and I was instinctively adapting to it through the race. Entering turn 4, descida do lago, lifting off helped a lot in rotating the car without forcing the tires. I guess this is the Michelin tires update, isn't it?

I really like this combo of Gr. 4 at Interlagos. So many opportunities for good battles and tire strategy there... Only thing I didn't like was the qualifying. Being able to place yourself between two drivers of similar pace in a 5 min qualifying session was the real skill you needed to score points yesterday.

On a side note, this slipstream needs fixing asap. Qualifying feels more like a random draw now and racing a nuthouse when you can't pull away from anyone.
My 3 wishes:
  1. Reduce the slipstream back to 7-8 tenths
  2. Shrink the effective lap time difference between RM & RH. Hard tires have too little grip
  3. Bring back the penalty system from two updates ago and work on it again from there

If I ever want to earn my way back to a WT, I will need to score 300+ minimum when it matters. Wasn't sure if that was possible until recently.

Qualifying needs to be single car on track where you can't see or interact with anyone.

Do you run all these laps?

pretty sure he does. That's Firestorm, or PR1_Fire these days. Top end of the EMEA top split.

edit: I stand corrected. The last time I watched his vids it was firestorm, but now he's posted laps from other guys. So probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back