FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're repeating yourself. Waste of time. I will not do this.
For cynical check any english , french or portuguese dictionary. The definition is all the same.
I am fully aware of the meaning of the word, which is why I'm baffled by its use in this context.

You seem to be taking the entire concept of latency as a personal slight against your character because someone (who wasn't me) said you shouldn't race in FIA events in different regions because of lag. I don't care whether you do or not, I'm simply pointing out that the laws of physics dictate that you will always be 200ms or more behind and there is nothing you can do or say that will change that. I don't care about you, physics doesn't care about you. This is how it is.

One day it may not be. Right now it is.

You can accept that, or you can continue to have a pop at me for no reason (which will be in my inbox, and not in this thread), but it won't change things.

You're repeating yourself. Waste of time. I will not do this.
For cynical check any english , french or portuguese dictionary. The definition is all the same.
You’re being extremely arrogant and stubborn and just assuming what other people think, just don’t do it. Talk about losing respect for a driver that can’t see beyond himself. Plus, racing in different regions ‘If caught.’ Results in a ban of your account and/or that specific account can’t participate in an event any further. Lagging or not. It’s simply not allowed anyways.

Hows your tyre saving??
Probably not good enough, especially at a tyre muncher like Catalunya :lol:

Thanks for the guide. If I qualify top half I'll go 4S/5S/5H (may switch around the 2nd and 3rd stints depending on how the race has developed). If I qualify near the back I'll start on Hards and go 4H/5S/5S.

Must. Not. Overdrive. Car.
For real. I think this can be the guiding principle of tonight's race for everyone. It's gonna be a race of moderation.

You can accept that
I can't accept something i've never refuted. If yes , show me where... Or not.
Obviously yours technicals statements are true.
But this amount of lag is not enough to cause any problem or palpable differences.
My performances are exactly the same in all regions , also the way i interact with other players.
This is what i can say.

You’re being extremely arrogant and stubborn and just assuming what other people think, just don’t do it. Talk about losing respect for a driver that can’t see beyond himself. Plus, racing in different regions ‘If caught.’ Results in a ban of your account and/or that specific account can’t participate in an event any further. Lagging or not. It’s simply not allowed anyways.
Go to heaven.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't accept something i've never refuted. If yes , show me where... Or not.
Show me where I said you can't accept it. Seriously, you're reading things that just aren't there.
Obviously yours technicals statements are true.
But this amount of lag is not enough to cause any problem or palpable differences.
It absolutely is. Really the upper bound for seamless gameplay is 20ms, for smooth gameplay it's 50ms, and for good gameplay it's 100ms. 200ms is merely acceptable. All it would take is an unpredictable movement - a divebomb, or a spin - and your car will jitter and swivel about on everyone else's screens.
My performances are exactly the same in all regions , also the way i interact with other players.
This is what i can say.
That would be somewhere between true enough and fundamentally impossible, and it depends on what kind of race and who's in it.

Your data distance to the extremes of your own region may be a few thousand miles. To North America, 8,000 miles is the start point and for Europe it will be 12,000. To Australia and Asia would be in excess of 16,000 miles just to get ashore on the continents.

In P2P - Daily Races - the variance of where users actually are will make no two races the same. If you're racing 15 people in an EMEA lobby in Spain, you're probably as good as if in an CSA lobby with players in Costa Rica and Colombia. If there's players in Irkutsk and Bahrain, it's going to suck for someone.

With fixed servers in the FIA races, it'll be ameliorated a lot - Europe (Amsterdam) and NA (Virginia) will be about the same, with NA better, and both will be far better than Asia (Tokyo) and Oceania (I... think it's in Sydney). To players in CSA there'll be no perceptible issue. Here's the latency between Sao Paulo and the four cities where Sony's FIA servers are located:

upload_2020-1-22_15-38-9.png

Asia will be bad. Oceania will be very bad - 20 frames of the game guessing where your car is will elapse before it updates to where it should be. What do the players you race in Australia and New Zealand see of your car?

We saw in this thread the other day the result - a lag punt - of a player in Australia against an Australian player who races from Europe.

Last edited:
I was overdue for a win at Nations, it had been awhile. I think this was 3rd split, second to last slot of the night. Qualified on pole with a mediocre lap, and ran a cautious race. Went with 9M/3H/6S while saving fuel. I think mediums on the first stint was the right choice because even though people behind me were on softs, the fighting and dirty air cost them too much tire life/pace early on and after a few laps my mediums were just as fast. I almost didn’t enter this round because I was worried about screwing up other people’s race. I ran about 10 laps in a practice lobby last night before bed, then I worked all day today and got home 4 minutes before race start. I really do love high downforce cars.

I'm normally much better at driving the high-downforce cars than I am at Gr. 3 and Gr. 4, but the Gr. 2 cars seem to be the exception to that trend.

That would be somewhere between true enough and fundamentally impossible, and it depends on what kind of race and who's in it.
I have all my history of FIA racing results as proof.
I race in all 3 regions at the same level and always with the same results , considering a very little margin up and down. Rooms between 200 to 280 points depending of slot.
Sometime with better scores out of my playing region ... Or not.
As you can see on those pictures . I have a year of results like this , buildind solid proofs that there is absolutely no sensible difference of performance due to lag.
IMG_20200122_130840.jpg
IMG_20200122_130828.jpg

I have all my history of FIA racing results as proof.
I race in all 3 regions at the same level and always with the same results , considering a very little margin up and down. Rooms between 200 to 280 points depending of slot.
Sometime with better scores out of my playing region ... Or not.
As you can see on those pictures . I have a year of results like this , buildind solid proofs that there is absolutely no sensible difference of performance due to lag.
View attachment 883863 View attachment 883864
How fast you can drive has nothing to do with lag. There's also five regions in the FIA events, and there have been for a year. They are: Europe, Middle East and Africa; Central and South America; North America; Asia; Oceania.

Even if you can get away with doing FIA races on fixed servers in CSA, NA and EMEA (in descending order of how stable you'll appear to others), GT Sport's netcode is in no way solid enough to allow you to race in Asia or Oceania without some serious glitching on other people's screens.

Did the early 4pm Manufacturers slot, qualifying 10th and finishing 8th. To be honest I didn't really enjoy the race all that much. Nothing dirty going on but having to conserve tyres on a track I'm not great at, and then the last stint on hards was no fun at all. I also know that I couldn't have done any better, that was the best I had.
The main excitement was on lap 1 when this cluster**** kicked off. Having checked the replay, it was the Hyundai who done it.

I'll take the points and have a break for the evening :) Good luck all. Take care of those tyres!

20200122170119.jpg

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200122164140.jpg

Attachments

• Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200122164140.jpg
    Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200122164140.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 5
Hows your tyre saving??
Probably not good enough, especially at a tyre muncher like Catalunya :lol:

Thanks for the guide. If I qualify top half I'll go 4S/5S/5H (may switch around the 2nd and 3rd stints depending on how the race has developed). If I qualify near the back I'll start on Hards and go 4H/5S/5S.

Must. Not. Overdrive. Car.

What car are you in?

I think if you can take it easy for the first lap in a stint it pays off big time at the end but a lot easier said than done in proper race situation once the adrenaline starts flowing.

I'm glad you like the guides and appreciate the support. Good luck in your races.

Edit just seen your post. In the Alpha, that gets very sketchy on tyres so good job. Yeah I know what you mean about enjoyment factor in those races. Your just sitting waiting on the backend stepping out instead of racing/pushing!!

Tire saving? What's that? :lol:
I'm likely gonna skip this one... I usually can't even get Mediums to last as long as some people can get the Softs to last...

Yeah might not be best race for you then although you can actually 3 stop it going 4s 4s 4s 2h. Works out similar to 2 stopping but requires clean air. I have a video coming soon about tyre saving that you may find useful.

Good luck if you go racing.

Went with the '16 Nissan as I felt more comfortable with it than the older. Quali lap didn't feel great but was only 1 tenth off what I did in practice but it did put me midpack. Decided to start on hards as I knew I'd be losing positions anyway off the line, unfortunately I misjudged how cold my tyres would be and went off at T1 which put me last. After that my strategy wasn't too great, probably spent too much time on hards on mediums but in the end still managed a top 10 which I didn't think was on after lap 1.

What car are you in?

I think if you can take it easy for the first lap in a stint it pays off big time at the end but a lot easier said than done in proper race situation once the adrenaline starts flowing.

I'm glad you like the guides and appreciate the support. Good luck in your races.

Edit just seen your post. In the Alpha, that gets very sketchy on tyres so good job. Yeah I know what you mean about enjoyment factor in those races. Your just sitting waiting on the backend stepping out instead of racing/pushing!!

Yeah might not be best race for you then although you can actually 3 stop it going 4s 4s 4s 2h. Works out similar to 2 stopping but requires clean air. I have a video coming soon about tyre saving that you may find useful.

Good luck if you go racing.
I tried the 3-stopper yesterday at DTG and it cost me between 2 and 4 positions at the end. That was more due to the car being scary on hard tires than having excess wear though (I decided to do 1 lap on the hards, then switch back to the softs for the last 5 laps). The way the Gr. 2 cars are affected by dirty air might've had something to do with it too, since even with soft tires vs. everyone else on mediums and hards, I couldn't even come close to their rear bumpers.

I'm looking forward to that tire-saving video! I'm sure I'll get better at it once I fully acclimate to my G29 as well.

Well it turns out that the non existent penalty system played in my favour tonight! My DR is shot to pieces from being treated as a pinball in daily races, even dropped down to a C for a couple of races earlier but as a result I got placed in a lower tier lobby.

Qualified 2nd by .055 and retained second place in the race. Unfortunately the leader got punted off as a result of me being punted myself. Got passed by someone legitimately quicker and they played the full soft gamble whereas i did a middle 6 lap stint on hards.

I suspected this was the case and did everything I could to close the gap down to less than 20 seconds, was 19 seconds behind until a slide on the last corner and ended up 2nd by two tenths! Considering I don’t get on with Catalunya I was happy with that result.

Only downside is that my main rival for my local area is in a slightly higher split and due to the 5 best races calculation he is now one single point ahead of me! Thankfully we know each other and were practicing together beforehand.

Now to build my DR back up to a mid level B where it should be!

Absolutely dirty barstewards in the 9.20pm race. No penalties were given, I was rammed twice and forced off the track once too. To top it off, on the last corner my t300 paused the game, I resumed and the car span into the wall. My only race, ruined. I was running 10th and had a consistent drive until the **** show started around lap 9. Half an hour of my life I'll never get back, for nothing other than probably 2000 DR tanked and 0 points. Screw this. PD fix the bloody penalty system, it's not rocket science. If necessary, punish both people harshly if you cant implement AI or a formula to calculate blame, behaviour will change. I'm disgusted at the behaviour of some drivers, SR S and DR A+ or S should mean you not only know how to hot lap but also to race fairly. What a **** show.

Also had not a single clean race.
Always did a 3 stopper (1H/4S/5S/4S).

First race had a bad qualifying lap and got stuck behind someone else, then only got P14. Race went reasonably well though, was running in P7 towards the end. But there was a group in front of me fighting so in theory P3 could've been possible. Unfortunately one of them made a mistake coming on the long straight in front of the hairpin. Towards the hairpin I tried a divebomb (only slightly) but unfortunately I hit someone from the group and spun him around. Waited for him and got P8 behind him.

Race 2: Perfect qualy. In practice before I wasn't able to get below a 45 lap with fuel and wear on, but nailed a 44.7 to start P3. But then the mess started.
First corner, I slightly bumped the car in front which in return made people behind me bump into me. Still was P6 after that, luckily no big mess. Wanted to pit anyway after lap 1. But then a stupid dirty Beetle bumped me into the gravel in turn 5. Last. Still managed to get P12 or so but very annoying, especially since my pace was similar to the top as the gap stayed roughly the same.

Race 3 then went similar to race 2. Started P7, then got bumped into the gravel on turn 6. P15 after that. In lap 13 I was running in P12 with two cars in front of me. Then the guy who crashed me in race three turned the guy who crashed me in race two around and that beetle came out right between me and the guy who was directly in front of me. His car wasn't solid so I wanted to drive through him, but a friction of a second before that he turned solid. In return I bumped him into the guy in front of us who in return spun out. Sorry again, EPRacing_NarVyx!
Got the beetle on the straight and was able to close in on the guy in front, but didn't catch him. P10. That gave me the best result of 149 points... Could've been so much more...

I envy people that can debate internet speed, lag and packet loss. Back here in South Africa we lag even when playing offline and the tolerance to measure is not ms, but cd which stands for calender days.
I am always amazed when I see a South African flag in a lobby - moreso if there's any bars at all in their network indicator. I reckon you'd have more luck playing GT Sport from the International Space Station.
But then a stupid dirty Beetle bumped me into the gravel in turn 5
Pink front end, Spanish driver, whapping on about how everyone else was dirty in the lobby chat afterwards?

I had some pace and consistency in practice so I was hopeful for the race. First time out I qualified 7th and was 15th by the end of the first lap after starting on hards. I was fighting with an M3 during the race. Ignore. A GT-R finished 3rd, but I never thought to watch the replay to see what he did with his tyres (I 2-stopped, 6/4/4)

Second attempt, I forget what happened in qualifying but I started 17th. 3-stopped this time, 2/4/4/4, and that largely went to plan apart from the third stint when I came out the pit and got stuck behind an RCZ. No wait hold on, second lap in the stint an RCZ came out the pits and I got stuck behind him.

Came close to a battle with a Supra towards the end, but I put a gap between myself and him and he ended up fighting with and punting off an AMG during the hairpin at the start of the last sector (it seemed like an accident, he wasn't dirty or erratic and they were amiable in the chat after). Some people drove off at various points in the race and I finished 7th.

Two things to take away:

- Even if I was on hards and others were on softs, I absolutely cannot handle cold tyres. I was bad at it with a controller, I seem to be much worse with a wheel. The endless 70-90mph corners aren't great for the GT-R's oversteer, but it seemed much worse than usual today. I've tried weaving a bit in the opening stages of a lap, but that just lets people catch up to me and it doesn't do anything for my grip. What am I doing wrong?

- I could barely manage tyre wear with a controller, but I'm worse again with the wheel. Even with the brake bias all the way to the rear, the front left was hilarious. Wearing more than twice as fast as the rest of them. How can I get to a place where I'm destroying tyres so badly?

Pink front end, Spanish driver, whapping on about how everyone else was dirty in the lobby chat afterwards?

Nope, was a either a French or British guy, can't quite remember, but definitely not from Spain

Last edited:
Yeah, 🤬 this track. Qualified 6th, finished 13th. I was actually 3rd for 2/3 of the first lap then I hit the sausage curb on the front side of the chicane and spun myself around to 8th. Of course, the back half of the field was real pushy and I ended being pushed off more than once. I'm done. I don't want to race this track again for a while now.

One and done for tonight people! 👍

Number 14 on the door. Qualified 9th and brought the M6 to a nice 6th place across the finish line, just a car between me and @Granadier! Nice race. Collected 141 pts! - all DR S/A lobby.

Did 3 stops for a 4S-4S-4S-2H plan. It worked well!

Clean for most part, but there were a few that were playing dirty, pushing me off to the grass on L1, but nothing that was a race stopper!

@Granadier - nice to share the track again with you!

CB324126-5723-4FA1-B4BF-53C598F7F091.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back