FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Penalties strike again. I got 4 seconds on the penultimate corner in the last lap. I got the lead just before the last lap. Karts behind were so far back, the slipstream brought them right on my tail at the Liqui Moly underpass.

I go wide with three other cars taking the inside. I avoid another car going wide. As I go on the inside of that car, another car on the inside of me, go side by side. We make contact, you guessed it, penalty for me on the outside of that car.

Anyway, was fun. Laughable watching cars spin and the avatar animations.
ETS2Xu4U0AArQWG.jpeg
ETS2RkWUYAAXMi1.jpeg

@watto79 What did you use as BB for GR3 and GR4? I'm really interested by this manufacturer. Just a bit concerned with the lack of speed

2 clicks to the front for the most part, but whatever it takes to keep tyre wear even.

Lack of speed is a concern, but qualify well on handling tracks and you're laughing. When tyre wear is high you just need to be patient and wait for the race to come back to you (which it will). I'm almost certainly going to go with them. I feel like I've talked myself into it!

@Master Weasel, I'm still undecided whether to stay with Lambo, but most of all, I'm curious about your assessment of the Gr3 and Gr4 car.s How do you like them.

EDIT: I had "over-quoted" and my own post appeared as a quote. Oops.

Well, the last time I drove for Lamborghini was in the Exhibition series last September, so it’s been quite a while since I touched these cars.

But I remember walking away feeling that they suit the way I drive, especially the Gr. 4 car. There were only 3 Gr. 4 races from that season (Fuji, DT Seaside, and Brands Hatch Indy) but I got good results on all of them. Its strengths outweighed its weaknesses for me and if anything, I thought the 4WD was an advantage the car had. Hopefully, I can say the same about the car for this season.

As for the Gr. 3 car, I think it shines best on high speed tracks like Tokyo Expressway East. You are right that tracks such as Lago Maggiore are an issue for it. I did a custom race on there with the settings for this Wednesday, and yeah, it was difficult to keep the thing from ruining its back tires since it’s prone to sliding. My first race this season is going to be Gr. 4 at Suzuka on Sunday, but if I were to do tomorrow’s race, I would seriously consider running the Hards instead of Mediums.

Well since I got killed early in the season (race 1) for manufacture's I boycotted most of the Pre-Season.

I haven't really decided if I am going to commit to the full season for 2020, I suspect I might skip like I did with 2019 as although I had
some improvements in daily races I don't feel I'm at 100% for the FIA championship and it's always my busiest time of year for work and
other hobbies so I can't practice as much as I'd like.

Good luck to everyone whose racing though!

Reactions: Qyn
Ready for karts tonight, but beware of those orange sausages
y3UJcaM.jpg

It's going to be 'interesting'

This things don't really like mid turn course corrections, it will be rough. Since the servers didn't switch to DST, races now start at 6pm EST, 7:20, 8:40, 10pm, and 11:20. Results be damned, 11:20 will not go well but with the dire daily race selection I'll try to catch most if not all slots :)

So i signed the contract, now you can tell me what the weakness is :)
Tyres, fuel, accelerating out of corners in gears 1-3

(point three only applies to Gr.3 car)

Other notes:

Bit gutted going by @OutlawQuadrnt's post that Fire isn't sticking with Nissan. Based on his performances since the off-season he was one of their best chances of getting to a live event. Hopefully everyone who picks them does well and some more aliens jump in.

Good luck to everyone who's starting their Nations campaign today, or to anyone has already. I hope your seasons goes better than you're expecting it to.

Ed - I also hope you didn't just get disconnected from your first attempt at a race like I did. Fantastic stuff, this.

Last edited:
Ready for karts tonight, but beware of those orange sausages
y3UJcaM.jpg

It's going to be 'interesting'

This things don't really like mid turn course corrections, it will be rough. Since the servers didn't switch to DST, races now start at 6pm EST, 7:20, 8:40, 10pm, and 11:20. Results be damned, 11:20 will not go well but with the dire daily race selection I'll try to catch most if not all slots :)

Did you land it?
I’ll be entering as many as I can too.
Hope to see you!

Nations Mario Kart Cup
Yeah that was interesting. 3 minutes of qualifying is about as hectic as you'd expect. It's basically a quick race before the actual race. I only got 1 "clean" lap in that wasn't particularly quick due to being held up and still managed to start 11th. Mainly because a few people weren't able to get a clean lap in at all.
As for the race, well the good news is the tyre wear is a complete non-issue. Makes you wonder why they set tyre wear at all. My race can be summed up in the below picture. The Italian had just served a penalty and I tried to go around them as they un-ghosted. We touched. I flew over the sausage curb. The resulting contact gave me a 10 second penalty and the Italian a first class express ticket face first into the wall. Surprised he survived to be honest but gladly he's still with us. I finished 16th.

Maybe the penalty was for the livery.

@SmokeyMR2 was in this race and wasn't able to get a quali lap in AND was given a penalty for being overtaken. The nutter might be racing again. I don't think I can do it to myself.

20200317165153.jpg

Nations Cup Rd 1:

Wanted something of a "banker" result - not to lose too much DR points.

Quali went decent, put me in P8 for the starting grid. The race started and I lost a few positions right away. Then all the race I was between P9 and P13 trading places and paint. It was pretty dirty, no space given, had also 1-2 rubbings my own, but it was a case of eat or get eaten. And I raced with TC2, the kart felt a lot more stable.

In the end I finished 10th - 99points. I will take them, it's a combo that I hate. Had to do 15 laps with the Alfa on Lago Maggiore to get back to a decent laptime.

My best is a 1.56.4 but I think there is at least 1s to gain somewhere. Let's see until tomorrow...

Won't bother with kart races again, I just don't click with it.

Don't have slipstream in 1st race, so forgot it. 2nd race qualified 6th, got bombed on T1 and received a 1 second penalty. Was 11th I think, and I binned it on the 3rd lap. Finished in the bottom half for 83 points.

Started the 5.20 slot for the nations cup race today, got a 4 second penalty for no reason in qualifying, managed to squeak a lap in and quali 10th. Race was no different, penalties for nothing, not even worth playing as there is no racing involved. Either let people drive freely, or attempt to race and get a 4-7 second penalty. Left the race, might give it another chance later if I have the patience but I'd rather have fun.

16th to 13th. Was as high as 12th, as low as 16th again. Top 12 finished within 3.6 seconds of one another. 9 of those ended up with red SR after the race, with five going down to A. I was a second off in qualifying and seemingly had no pace in the race. I don't think I drove badly - a bit more consistency might have seen me stay in the fight for 13th - but that needed a lot of concentration and finesse and I have **** all to show for it. Meh.

Now THIS was a season opener! I was rather pessimistic as I'm not great at Maggiore's reverse layouts and sure enough only qualified 14th with car number 4. But the race turned out to be super close, reasonably clean and fantastic fun! Finished P5 for 118 points, super happy with that :)

Help me choose car for manu?

I've driven the Corvette, Vantage and F-Type. They were all great. But I wanna go for something new again. Mercs are no go because they drone too much. No FF cars either (Gr4).

What's fun and at the same time capable? I don't care if difficult to master or if it's fugly. I just wanna enjoy driving. Please, your experience.

Help me choose car for manu?

I've driven the Corvette, Vantage and F-Type. They were all great. But I wanna go for something new again. Mercs are no go because they drone too much. No FF cars either (Gr4).

What's fun and at the same time capable? I don't care if difficult to master or if it's fugly. I just wanna enjoy driving. Please, your experience.

Renault. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back