FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, congrats. You were lucky to find yourself among players who behaved well despite the catastrophic penalty system.
And you were lucky enough not to get brake checked and slapped with a 4 second penalty.

You can argue all you want but fact is that the penalty system is more broken today than it was at launch.

As such, getting a clean race is mostly down to luck. I find that to be a total waste of time.

If you want to argue that the penalty system is broken then you came to the right echo chamber. No one here disagrees.

Personally I shame every dirty driver I encounter publicly on YouTube with PSN name and replay videos. But there is a huge difference to dirty worth posting and dirty because of the circumstances in which the player behaved dirty. It's actually been a while since I had to post any dirty drivers.

Maybe it's just your bad luck or maybe it's your driving style. From my experience it often turns out that what I thought was a dirty move was something else. A brake check? Old tires or intended? Closing the door, was I even close enough? Sudden aggressive behavior, did i do something wrong before that?
'
It's us the community that is responsible for how we behave in the races, until Svens server based AI tech is implemented we have to make the difference.
Petty revenge moves, bitching after races and name calling only helps to poison the water we all drink from.

I start all my races with a plea to get clean though the first corners, it may actually work.
I back down more that I cry tears over getting Sandboxed.

That been said.. Screw the actual dirty drivers that misuses the penalty system and destroys other players races. 3 strikes and they should be permanently banned.

I've always focused on Manufacturers as my go to FIA competition, but recently it's become a struggle and for whatever reason I've been doing significantly better at Nations. So for this season I decided to focus on Nations and just do the Manufacturers combos that I'll enjoy.

I re-signed with Alfa Romeo as I feel like there's untapped potential there, and I haven't done the liveries @sturk0167 made any justice yet :lol:

Nations 2pm(!) slot
Not a huge amount to say as this one always feels like a bit of a lottery. Qualified 13th and the race spreads out. The leader of the pack I'm in is in I think 12th, but as the race progresses the lead pack drop back one by one. By the last few laps everything's compressed back and I'm actually in the chase for P1. I can't make up many positions though, and the last lap someone goes wide at the fast left hander onto the grass. They point their kart directly at the apex for the penultimate corner and just go for it, barging past me leaving me a little frustrated. They then proceed to driver straight into the wall at the exit of the last corner :lol: Fun race that's on a constant knife edge but decide to take the result as a confidence booster for the season ahead.

4 wide into turn 1 isn't the best idea, but we kinda made it work!
20200426103918.jpg
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200425143712.jpg

Manufacturers 3:20pm slot
I like Gr.4 at Suzuka so happy to jump into this one. Qualify 2nd but as the race starts I get nudged off the track at turn 1 by a Viper. I'm fortunate to keep control and only lose 2 places, but with dirty tyres quickly lose the slipstream. Have a battle with a Toyota that I eventually let past as we're losing time, and together we close the gap to the Viper. On the exit of 130R the Viper puts a wheel wide, spins out and takes the Toyota with them. I had a front row seat for a pretty spectaluar crash :lol: From that point I'm 3 seconds behind P2 and a Porsche behind me is just on the edge of my slipstream, but never close enough to threaten me, which is how everything finishes.

Solid start to the season that I'm very happy with. It was nice to get all my FIA races out of the way by the middle of the afternoon too! I thought the new slipstream worked really well with Gr.4 cars. It's still there and provides a benefit, but isn't the turbo powered DRS that it used to be.

Trouble ahead is good news for me.
20200426103926.jpg
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200425160822.jpg

Wow. Um, that's not what "required" means. You seem to have it confused with the word "allowed."

I don't know, it took a few races for me to figure out as well. I initially read it as, you are required to use either S M H. To add further confusion, for the Daily Race I started the game on, there were no mandatory pit stops. I think pretty much everyone in my first few races were confused by it.

I decided to pick Aston Martin for this season based on absolutely no logic or reasoning at all.

Ended up doing 3 slots and had a great time in all 3 despite not getting an ideal result. The racing was close, intense, hard and above all fair. Every driver I encountered drove exemplary.

Slot 1

Average quali(for the record I do solo qualifying) so started 12th. Started on mediums and first stint went ok and on lap 5 I pitted for softs and the undercut on @Hasnain282 who was also on mediums in the NSX. Got the jump on the NSX then was hounded by @Hasnain282 for the next 7 laps during which a Spaniard in an SLS joined the party. Pulled a lovely move on the SLS on outside of chicane but by now my softs were crying enough and on lap 12 I pitted for hards. May have got out ahead of the SLS and NSX but got into a tussle with a ferrari. However would all have been in vain as down the straight to 130r i realised i was going to run out of fuel. I was 9th in a train of cars 6th to 12th so i just pulled over so as not to cause chaos at the chicane. Finished 12th.

Slot 2

Someone took out the brake markers for the chicane which destroyed my quali when i was on a strong lap so that ruined that. 2nd lap on worn tyres got me 15th

Forgot to change tyres before start do started on softs. Was actually going ok when on lap 7 when I was just about to pit I dipped a wheel on the astro after 130r and round she went. Thankfully only ruined my own race. Finished the race a somewhat unmotivated 15th.

Slot 3

Finally got a good qauli lap of 2.07.2 which netted 9th on the grid. Started on softs but knew straight away it was a mistake as cars infront were clearly on mediums. Rather than try pass I decided to save the tyres and extend the soft stint. Pitted lap 8 for mediums, 13 for hards and brought home 8th. Was jumped by so medium runners behind but some cars in front made mistakes. Not the result I was looking for but as I said I enjoyed the racing.

Often after my last race il jump into a lobby and test some other cars I was racing against. A case of whither it was me being slow or the car. Well after trying the McLaren, trophy, TT and Cayman my conclusion is that the Aston Martin gr4 is not that great, at least for this combo.

Best race lap on softs I did in all my practise runs and slots for AM was an 8.1. It could do mid/high 8s till lap 4 then low/mid 9s for laps 5 and 6. Jumped in the macca, did 2 laps to get the gearing then restarted and went 7.7, 7.9, 8.2, 8.0, 8.1. Ah well maybe the dbr1 will fare better!!

So here are my races from yesterday.

The nations race was a little bit 'embarrassing' but not sure I could have done any better and I really enjoyed my Manufacturer's race at Suzuka as the 86 felt very good to drive on all three compounds and I know the track well and also I managed to have a 'drama' free race too so a 14th in Nations and 9th in Manufacturer's was I consider a solid start.

Nations Race:

Manufacturer's Cup:

I just checked the standings, and I'm the top driver for Chevy in North America despite only being 174th overall in North America with only 144 points. :lol:

I knew Suzuka wouldn't be the best showing for the Corvette, but I was expecting at least a few people to get more out of it than I did. I'm going to assume this is also at least partially due to some of the faster drivers not participating at all in Round 1.

Well done. My heart wanted to race Vettes, I like the Gr3 car a lot— it’s a hammer. I couldn’t get the ultimate pace out of the Gr4 model so I went with Porsche but there’s definitely potential in the Vettes. Good luck.

So I went back to Nissan and that means I can pretty much ignore Group 4 races as a whole. Case in point:

Only chance with this car is get a good slipstream lap because unfortunately, this is still very much a thing.

It could be worse, the Mazda Atenza was even slower and had worse tire wear. It provides better gas mileage though, so you finish the race with like 3 laps of fuel (with no fill-up).

I used the same strategy as you, nearly the same race play by play, logging solo laps, but with drivers wrecking and putting wheels off I moved up from 16th to 8th without ever battling anyone. And then the game disconnected me after the finish for 0 points.

So this was very unexpected. Nice to wake up at #79 in the region though! :D

View attachment 914769

Good job! I chose BMW too and didn't think the M4 was very good at Suzuka, then I see Originals scored 328 points and I realized the car was better than I thought it was. I guess it was just me. :lol:

I chose the Z4, which I'm sure is a mistake, but wanted to go with something different. :cheers:

Good job! I chose BMW too and didn't think the M4 was very good at Suzuka, then I see Originals scored 328 points and I realized the car was better than I thought it was. I guess it was just me. :lol:

I chose the Z4, which I'm sure is a mistake, but wanted to go with something different. :cheers:
Likewise to you. Was also surprised by how well the M4 felt around Suzuka. Not sure if it's always been that way or if the 1.57 changes helped it out. Either way, I need to be more mindful of the fuel in the future. The slipstream changes might end up favoring the Z4.

Hope the rest of the season treats you just as well. :cheers:

I don't know, it took a few races for me to figure out as well. I initially read it as, you are required to use either S M H. To add further confusion, for the Daily Race I started the game on, there were no mandatory pit stops. I think pretty much everyone in my first few races were confused by it.

I don't know what to tell you guys, to me the word "required" followed by a list of tires types clearly means you have to use the tires listed. But maybe that's just me.

I have seen confusion about the penalties in post-race lobbies more than a few times and when I explain it to people they usually seem to be pretty accepting of it. Not happy, obviously, but most people seem to accept that they should have better known the rules and requirements going into the race.

I just checked the standings, and I'm the top driver for Chevy in North America despite only being 174th overall in North America with only 144 points. :lol:

I knew Suzuka wouldn't be the best showing for the Corvette, but I was expecting at least a few people to get more out of it than I did. I'm going to assume this is also at least partially due to some of the faster drivers not participating at all in Round 1.

I’m quite sure I could have had a good chance at a podium there for Chevy, but I didn’t race at all in FIA yesterday. I’ve surprised people before there in the vette, and beaten a ton of handling cars.
That’s said the gr4 Vette could use a power bump imo.

I’m quite sure I could have had a good chance at a podium there for Chevy, but I didn’t race at all in FIA yesterday. I’ve surprised people before there in the vette, and beaten a ton of handling cars.
That’s said the gr4 Vette could use a power bump imo.
I was shocked to get a 2nd place at last season's Manufacturer's round at DT Gardens given that the leaderboards indicated it would be dominated by handling cars. In fact another Corvette finished 3rd and was side-by-side with me at the finish line. A Cayman absolutely ran away with the race and beat us by 15s. Judging by how the 'Vette in 3rd gained over 1s on me in just the final lap, he also probably had the pace of the Cayman that won, but got mired in traffic after a mistake earlier in the race. If they reversed the 9hp power reduction but kept the weight reduction of the last BoP adjustment for the Gr. 4 car, it would be much more of a contender for sure.

This is my first FIA season, and I'm going with BMW. I just seem to get on with FR handling. For the Manufacturer race at Suzuka, I qualified 8th, and made it up to 2nd on T1 thanks to some carnage up front. Went with 6S/6M/2H, and I thought I was making good progress. Was 2nd all the way till Lap 12, and I pitted to put on the mandatory hards, and had a Cayman up my bumper through the final chicane, but he blocked my pit entry trying to overtake. I got a 1.5 sec penalty for my trouble. Rejoined the race in 5th and held it until the chequered flag. Didn't stand a chance against 4th and 3rd who were on softs. I was so close to a podium!! On analysing the replay, most of the top 10 on the starting grid started on hards! I thought you're supposed to start on softs to build a gap if you start mid-front of the grid. They had the hards for the first lap, and pitted at the end of lap 1. That's how they jumped me when I pitted for hards with 2 laps left....oh well...still had one of my better finishes.

20200425145505.jpg

The Nations kart race was hella fun, too! I decided to stick to the wheel despite this being my first time seriously racing in the kart. Getting used to the sensitivity wasn't that hard with about an hour of practice. Qualified 4th (must've been my lucky day, TWO top 10 qualifying rounds). Was up to 2nd by lap 6 or 7, held it for 2 or 3 laps. I was already imagining the haul of FIA points and DR...smiling to myself...then got taken out and pushed into the wall on the last corner on lap 11, I think. Proceeded to fight my way back, but only managed 9th in the end...my dream of a podium eluding me again...still had fun though. Can't take these things too seriously!

IMG-0580.jpg

I hadn't really raced the Kart before and almost didn't enter the three Nations Cup races yesterday. I'm glad I did! Each one was fast-paced, exciting and for the most part, clean (I was nudged into the wall twice, but it might have been an accident or not enough caution on my part). Definitely a contender for most fun online GTS experience so far! I came 3rd, 7th and 4th.

I recorded my three races:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back