FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
This.
From what little I’ve seen of iracing I’ve no interest in emptying my wallet for it that’s for sure! People in online racing are what they are. Full spectrum.
That said I didn’t even consider this ridiculous combo. Waaaay too much car they should have chosen karts.

Or if PD didn't want karts but rather a car that has a good one-make potential they could've used the Honda RC213V.

Am I the only one that remembers this car exists? It's a fantastic little thing! Absolutely marvelous especially on Racing tyres.

I had a bad feeling about this race based on my experiences in the daily at Nurb GP last week, but I had a bad feeling about Spa in the wet too and I finished P2 in that race so I figured what the hell, right? Came out on track first out of everyone during quali and managed to set a respectable P2 time.

Race starts and P3 and P4 both do a good job of braking cleanly for the hairpin and I get a clean line through it, or so I think. Just as I am passing the apex a Toyota torpedoes me square in my side and pushes me off the track into the gravel where I, naturally, end up with a 1s penalty for forcing another car off track (?!) and he gets off scot free and in a good position since by pushing me he managed to change his direction well enough to actually come through the corner despite blowing the braking so badly.

So down to P17, and serving the penalty drops me to P18 and dead last by half-way through lap 1. Quite a fall from grace from P2!

Now it's pedal to the metal time and I go hunting big time, really pushing it as hard as I dare lap after lap, and I start climbing steadily. Some places I gain by others going off, some by others serving penalties, and one because someone just blinked out of existence on the S/F straight. Second to last lap I manage to punt the guy in front of me when braking for the hairpin because I was caught out by just how much he braked; I was a long way behind him when he started braking so I went for my normal braking point and managed to push him wide. I waited for him to recover and keep his position though, and I almost had him in the chicane when he overshot the entry but I couldn't carry enough speed to get in front of him so he muscled me onto the kerbs on the exit. Which is fair play to him, I did punt him after all so I understand him being aggressive back.

Finished the race in P10 which is not what I'd hoped at the start but way better than I feared when I got dropped to last place on the first lap. All in all it was an okay race, but I don't like this track much at all. There's not many places you can go for a pass and with the high speeds everywhere it's really hard to line up a good run, and even drafting doesn't get you much.

At least I barely lost any DR and no SR...

Hey all!

I had a great race today. Usually I don't have time for FIA races, especially nations races. Don't have time to practice all cars.
But manufacturer races are doable, and I like race on circuit I know such as spa, nurb, dragon trail, mount panorama.
I qualify as second, and managed to finish as second :) race was clean in most cases at least on front.

I’m drive for Lexus ;) plus won’t be able to enter Saturdays race anyway. Tonight was meant to be my final race.

Doh! Lol. I just saw the pink lambo :lol:

I might try Ferrari or McLaren, I need more fun not so much goin for points, bein too serious...:). Ferrari’s are fun.

I'd go McLaren personally since it's got that rarity factor. You'll hardly ever catch more than one in a lobby if you're lucky enough to have one at all. Plus it's one of the few cars capable of matching the top end on my GT.

That Manufacturer's race went as expected. Ever since the BoP update back in Stage 1 the Cayman and I haven't been on the best terms, so I didn't expect much from this race. Door #11, qualified 12th, finished 13th, one-and-done since I know I won't do any better.

While I like the 911 RSR, the Cayman just doesn't seem to suit me well. The two manufacturers I'm thinking of jumping to are Honda or Aston Martin, thoughts on this?

I'm thinking Honda because I'm a Honda fanboi and I've heard the NSX is twitchy, but not Huracan Gr. 3 levels of twitchy, and are competitive in both Gr. 3 and Gr. 4 form.

I'm thinking Aston Martin because I really like how the V12 Vantage GT3 car drives, but I haven't heard anything about how the Gr. 4 car is.

Also, for the final Manufacturer's race, I'm excited and hoping for a good result, although that may be because I took my first FIA win here back in Stage 1. Either way, I'm going to be running a Blackbird/Wangan Midnight/Genki/Tokyo Xtreme Racer tribute livery especially for this race, to celebrate the end of my first FIA season and some of my favorite racing series at an appropriate location:
Blackbird Tribute livery.PNG

Did Manufacturers slot 2 with the McLaren, door #8, sharing lobby with @Lewmatic and @MURTEL.

Didn't manage to put a good qualifying time in, so started P8. In the race, we had a four-car battle for many laps and I was being held up, but it was difficult to overtake here while the guy ahead was also in a slipstream. After the guy in 7th made a mistake out of T1, I managed to get fully alongside on the inside into T3. He turned in on me and we bumped, but I didn't fully make the apex either, so I decided to let him back through, as it wasn't a completely clean move. Luckily no one had a penalty.

Later, P9 joined the battle and we had pinball contact between P7 and P9 into T1. Luckily, we all survived without penalties (I even got the CRB!) but it cost me dropping to P9. I later went up to P7 as two guys ahead got track limit penalties.

In the final lap, I now had P6 just ahead and with no slipstream, tried to find my way through, but he defended well, so I finished in P7.

Yesterday in a practice race I was as quick as the winner in this split, so I feel I could have done better with a better qualifying, but decent points nonetheless. 👍

2020 FIAGTC - Manufacturers Series Rd 29 - Gr4 at Nurburgring GP

I didn't have high hopes going in, but after getting matched with #5, at a track where I wasn't feeling fast at all, even qualifying 17th was a letdown. Struggled all race without any fight to finish 18th. Nothing dramatic-- clean race, but absolutely as lost for pace as I've been all season. I can't figure this track out, at least not in the Cayman. Doesn't help to see others in Porsches getting pole position and winning the race... Lost a ton of DR, after weeks of stability, and was feeling pretty run down about the last few rounds. Really, about Stage 3 overall. Just haven't been getting the results I was targeting.

8574854805060617752_0.jpg

Shoulda ridden the roller coaster instead of racing at the GP track. Q17 R18 #5 ...worst performance of the year by far.

I did manage to score a very fun podium 3rd place in my alt account, in the Corvette (25k DR lobby). Was one of the best, cleanest races I've been part of all year, at least from 6th (where I started) on up to the front of the field. Shared the video... the first several laps were particularly rewarding, as all of us were bumper to bumper and there wasn't so much as a scuff or dent from my view, until a couple of minor incidents resulted in penalties, which added to some clean passes, allowed me to get up to 3rd. After successfully defending against another very fast Vette in the last two laps, I was happy to restore some confidence with the podium finish. Another lap or two and I might have had to let him past. But as it was, a really fun, clean race, and the type of racing that I love to share when others do their part.

Not sure if I'm able to run the last rounds, though I really would like to... want to get the alt Corvette into the 2nd in state and I really want to run the Red Bull cars... but might have some conflicts that mean this was the end of my season. Good luck to the others in the final races, if I don't see you around til after.

:gtpflag:

8574854797141770768_11.jpg
8440314155716609552_11.jpg

Last edited:
Race 29 - Nurburgring - 7 minute race edit
Had 20 on the door in a strong room with some S/S drivers.
I did a quali time that was better than what I had been able to do in a lobby for this race and about 1s slower than practice runs in ideal conditions.
In this strong room it did not give me a better starting spot than 15th.
The race was fun with some nice battles with ATK-TK8 in a Porsche. In the first turn of lap 3 Cjam2381122 totally overshot the braking so I have that featured in a replay.
At the end of the day, it was a nice clean race and a decent result. Enjoy !

This just was a **** race on my part. Due to a few bad daily races at Dragon Trail and knocked bacl to B/A from clawing back to B/S, I entered alost last minute. Quali was uneventful, P5. In the race, most of the top 4 took themselves out, am I felt vengeful and tried to go for the win. Couldn't catch the Mazda, burned up the front tires, and the Mercs were catching. Too pissed off to know better to not block excessivly, I blocked alot for three laps. The dude then stated diving anywhere he could, then just punted me( Which I did deserve). Guess this'll teach me to not drive like an ass...

Last edited:
I'm actually contemplating running the Slophy. Only reason, is due to loving the new Gordon Murray T.50.

Hear me out. The Slophy is NA, lightweight, MR. It uses paddles instead of a floor shifter(the GR.4 86 is the only one that uses an H-pattern gearbox). It's the closest thing to the T.50. The 4C would be my preference, but it uses a turbo. Yeah, the Slophy is a V6, but that's half a V12.:D

T.50 wasn't made to be the fastest at anything and I'm convincing myself to try and say the same about the Slophy. Skipping any type of braking and handling advantages for trying to replicate/pretend using a faux T.50-type GR.4 race car.

If PD could get the okay from GM to make a Gr.4 T.50 in GT7, sign me up for a pre-order. :cheers:

I skipped the nations race this time, got home too late from work and tried one lobby, it was brutal, so decided not to risk it with 20 minutes practice.

Manu I got a solid 45 minutes of practice in and set a bunch of 2.05 laps, so Corvette and I felt ready to go. In the race I was Q6 setting my best lap on the final lap with no draft a low 2.06. Pole sitter was 1.8 seconds faster, so obviously got a reset after yesterdays race, lol. He had a low 2.04 and seemed really proud of himself for it, making sure everyone knew. He won by 15 seconds over 2nd. Maybe he should be cocky? 2nd was also bragging about going from 9th to 2nd, almost snapped his arm patting himself on the back. Smh
I was driving well, got a clean start, but something didn’t feel right. Car did not seem to have the straight line speed. I dropped 1 spot on lap 6 to 7th and could not even make up ground on the 86’s in the race. Luckily one Spun on the final lap And I got my spot back, lol, to finish 6th, 156 points.
After the race was over I went to test the X2019 and realized my abs light was flickering, I wiggled my cables and it went off. I think I drove that entire Manu race with by brakes dragging? That would explain a lot.

I need to upgrade from this playseat challenge, it’s super convenient, but I think taking it out and putting it up every time I race is hard on the wiring. Not too mention the wobbling since the wheel base isn’t solidly mounted and on a lawn chair tube. It works, but it may be time for an upgrade. Wife be damned, lol.

I had been racing Seaside and my sr was 85 so I went in Nurb GP.
I had the most fantastic experience sharing the track with a great driver in a Trophy.
I was pole, he overtook me lap one, and we went Mano Amano the entire rest of the race. I managed to get by him lap 8.
We never touched, great drive! Fun!
I secured the top place on the podium in the factory yellow vette!
A stunner!

This was pretty competitive for Manufacturer's as I was Door #12 and the race win was worth 224 points, both of which are oddities (I'm usually a high or low door number and the races are usually worth 205 points, max). The Cayman and I haven't been on the best of terms since the BoP update in Stage 1, however, and the Nurburgring GP circuit isn't my strongest track, so I wasn't expecting much going into this. A person I've raced with a lot was in the lobby, as well as some familiar faces, but unfortunately, everyone's favorite A-class hothead was here as well in a Viper.

I messed up my first qualifying lap by losing the slipstream of the person ahead and making some mistakes under braking, so I ran some independent laps, eventually qualifying 12th. Can't be disappointed if you had no expectations.

At race start, the car felt like it was on ice. Even though I did practice the night before, I don't remember cold tires like this feeling this slippery. At least I had a 1.3s gap to the people ahead and behind due to my starting position, which grew ahead of me and shrank behind me as I take Sector 1 completely wrong due to the tires not feeling that great. The first half of the race was uneventful. Coming down into T7, a person gets pushed wide into the gravel and I inherit 11th. The person behind me passes me into T1 on Lap 2, and from there I'm lapping in free air until Lap 5, although three people ahead are fighting hard, letting me catch them, while the people behind me are also reeling me in.

I end up with a battle for 11th for all of Sector 2 and 3 with the person I've raced with a lot, and we pass someone serving a penalty. However, the people behind are able to catch up to me and I'm forced to defend. The chicane becomes a parking lot as I go side-by-side with the Lexus ahead, but the people behind try to take advantage of the situation, and I end up losing 2 spots and am now being swarmed by the pack behind, including being shoved unceremoniously by the hothead in the Viper. Whatever, I wasn't expecting much from this race, it's not worth doing anything. I know I'm not going to gain much out of this race, so I don't defend super hard, I just wanted to avoid a penalty and any SR downs. I eventually lose 13th coming onto the back straight, and an Atenza makes a sketchy pass on the outside in the chicane by acting like I'm not there, causing me to bump them, but luckily no penalties or SR downs are awarded. This sees me go down into 15th. I fall back into 16th as an Aston passes me, and end up at the back of a train that's starting to get really aggressive, so I back off and hope they go and kill each other. Sure enough, coming into T3, the Aston punts the sketch Atenza, causing the Lexus to hit the sketch Atenza, and then the Aston goes to completely wipe out the Lexus, putting me back in 14th. From there I follow the sketch Atenza and hothead in the Viper and get into 13th as the Atenza serves a penalty. I tried to get a cutback on them onto the back straight, but mess it up and instead tap them, losing momentum. I try to pass again on the chicane but they take the racing line and again act like I'm not there, so I backout since the potential penalty from holding my ground isn't worth it to me. I finish 14th, barely defending from an Evo behind that caught up to us.

I didn't expect much from this race and I didn't get anything out of it. That pretty much summarizes it for me.

Got dumped into 2nd split during the 3rd slot, and Top Split for the final 2 slots, so of course I finished poorly. Started and finished outside the Top 10 in every race, and spent the majority of each race losing the tail of the train in front while simultaneously pulling away from everyone behind me. My races were largely uneventful.

8574854805060617752_0.jpg

Shoulda ridden the roller coaster instead of racing at the GP track. Q17 R18 #5 ...worst performance of the year by far.

Well, that coaster (Ring Racer) suffered from serious mechanical issues. One of the tests in 2009 ended with parts of the pneumatic system exploding, injuring 7 people and shattering nearby windows. Ring Racer never reached its intended top speed, and was only open for 5 days (31 Oct 2013 to 4 Nov 2013) in its entire existence. Formula Rossa in the UAE would take the top speed record Ring Racer was meant to break, making Ring Racer kinda pointless.

I guess Ring Racer is a perfect metaphor for your race!

The Cayman and I haven't been on the best of terms

At race start, the car felt like it was on ice. Even though I did practice the night before, I don't remember cold tires like this feeling this slippery.
I was thinking the same thing during my race last night. I don't know when it started, but the rear end of the Cayman, especially, has seemed much more likely to lose traction than I remember earlier in the year. I didn't notice it with the BoP adjustment, so not sure it was then, if anything changed, but for sure, the car is not as predictable as it was in the earlier rounds, or at least it seems. Something seems different.

I lost what chance I had to make up any spot on the run up to the green flag, by losing the rear end out of the last turn at yesterday's Ring race... it just stepped out under throttle. For a car that isn't exactly high on HP, it seems odd. And I'm with you... just can't find the handle on it lately. I'm pushing like hell and still watching everyone walk away from me, I just don't get it. I have no chance on the power straights, and I'm not able to keep my cornering speeds higher than others.

What I really don't understand is that I see others winning poles and races with the car. Discouraging to me, as I normally feel like I'm consistent, especially in Gr4, where my K' Speed Score is effectively 80. So getting trounced at the Ring yesterday, and being unable to find the speed has me scratching my head.

Meanwhile, without any prior practice, I was able to take a Vette from 6th to 3rd in my alt account race, despite not driving that car much, in a lobby that was similar to what I raced in for the first half of the season (including some of the same racers). So it seems I just lost the handle on the Porsche...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back