FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did 3 races tonight. Not very happy but the season is now over.

Nations Slot 1 - Started P2 and finished P3. I drifted across too far at Turn 1 and wiped out P3 which was very ordinary.

Manufacturers Slot 1 - missed braking point on L1 at the port, dropped a heap of positions, was distracted on L2 and wiped out @OldMate_73. I dropped to the back after that but damage was done.

Nations Top 16 - didn't make the cut despite being P16 in region before this round

Manufacturers Top 16 - fluffed my qualifying lap after getting a great tow for half of it. Started P12. Hit the brakes at 150m in the tow for the hairpin but it was way too late and ruined someone's race. Avoided penalties and finished P10.

So don't do what I did... brake 15-20m earlier if you're in the tow because the speed difference is deceptive.

Pretty disappointing end to the season. Finished in Top 15 for both championships but still underwhelming.

Edit:
A tow in qualifying buys you at least 0.5 seconds... so make sure you know how to find one (I really hope this isn't an issue in GT7).

Last edited:
I can’t control the red bull car confidently so I just joined the manufacturer race and I won it lol
View attachment 947622
Started in p5 and that was what I expected. Didn’t have a good pace in the first few laps due to the 4 cars fight in front of me (gotta stay behind for a while...). After they either hit the wall or got penalties at the end of s1, I got a chance to sneak into p1 and I kept my place till the end...
View attachment 947623 View attachment 947624

I will upload the race replay later since I think it was a pretty good race for me: good pace, stay away from the wall, and avoid corner cutting lol The penalties you get for corner cutting can cost you the whole race... so as hitting the wall especially at T1...

That’s the tips I have and good luck!

Hi guys here’s the replay of the race. If you want to use my racing line as reference please ignore sector 3 lol

May have found my best track/combo yet at Tokyo and for some odd reason my network has switched to NAT 3 out of nowhere and I'm not able to join lobby races however I was able to join a daily race. Going to be a crapshoot whether or not I'll be able to run Manufacturer today... terrible way to end the season if so.

After my DR reset during the dailies midweek I ended up in a 55 point lobby for Nations. Still managed to qualify 2nd. All was fine until the last lap of my medium stint (which was one too many, I miscounted) when I got caught by 2nd (the only DR A in the race) on the top straight and he hit me. I got spun round backwards and a 1 second penalty. I still finished 1.7 seconds behind him at the end. I've said it before, but I don't know how people play the game at this level. At least my SR is back where it should be.

Nations

Qualifying was the usual affair for me and without a slipstream here I qualified a lowly 15th.

With that in mind I started on the hard tyres and aimed top pit lap 1. Lap 1 was what you expect from a grid start although was fairly clean with people only making a couple of mistakes. by the end of the lap I was in 11th until I misjudged my braking point after the church and dropped to 17th as I pitted. I rejoined in last place and by lap 6 was in 14th as I pitted for the soft tyres.

I rejoined in 16th place and made good progress catching the small pack ahead. I got 15th as the car ahead made a mistake at T2. Lap 11 and I hold of an attempt at T2 to hold what is now 14th. Lap 15 and from others pitting am now in 11th as I go in for my final pit stop for fuel and another set of soft tyres and rejoin in 16th

On lap 17 I gain another place from a car stopping and gain another as another rejoins ahead of me and pass them after a short battle. I now set about catching the group ahead hoping to regain some more places before the end of the race. Lap 23 and contact for the car ahead means I get past on the back straight into the church for 13th. Last corner on lap 23 and 2 cars ahead make contact while trying to pass each other and I somehow gain both spots and jump to 11th with 1 lap remaining. Last lap and I try to pass the only other car ahead into T2 but end up getting a better run out and get past into T3 (the chicane of deaths little brother) for 10th. I held onto 10th at line which was a decent enough result considering lap 1 and my poor qualifying.

That's the official 2020 FIA season over for me. Could have started higher up and lap 1 mistakes could have ment a better finish but overall I'm quite pleased with 10th.

Undeservedly won slot 1 split 2 for manufacturers after the leader disconnected sadly. Got my highest points of the season after somehow qualifying 2nd in the M6 at this track (cheers slipstream).

I think I finished top 25 in Oceania and P2 for BMW regionally, which I'll take given I've improved a lot over the 30 rounds (in both skill and DR).

Cheers to everyone I've raced against among the three splits I've been in this season, it's been a great pleasure racing against people, especially those I've never shared a track with!

EDIT: I finished 26th after someone improved in the final slot.
rd30 w.jpg

Last edited:
Did the first slot RB Nations race, and it went well. Did my usual mid pack qualifying lap. Started on H, after using all fuel and getting lighter and faster over the laps I went from strength to strength on M and then S for the final 4 laps, finishing I think 6th and had close and fast racing with a fellow Brit and managed a 26 point SR gain in what could have been a very hairy race. I found I had clean air for a good few seconds in front and behind for most of the middle section which helped a lot.

Decided to jump in the Manu slot later, I am not lucky enough to have two good FIA races in one Saturday, so I will continue to enjoy the sun and this nice feeling that GTS is worth playing for a little while longer.

So I’m currently 7th for Lamborghini in NA and there’s a 500 point gap between me and the top 5 drivers. Yikes. Looks like even winning today’s Manufacturers race isn’t going to do me much good as far as rankings go. Makes me wonder if I should do all three slots now for the fun of it. :lol:

Started 2nd in Manu. Got past 1st into the docks and stayed there. He spun on the exit, I extended the gap to 3rd and drove away. It's pretty depressing when you're very outmatched to everyone and you can just bolt. 119 points though so I'll be going again.

In a case of discretion being the better part of valor, I won't be entering todays Manufacturer race. Did some practice last night, and whilst the NSX feels fantastic in the twisties particularly in the dock section with it's handling, it's one key weakness; being top-end is exposed in the flat out section through the tunnel, especially in 6th gear. A similarly DR rated guy in a GTR was over 1.1s a lap faster, with a chunk of that coming from the flat-out sections.

Wasn't entirely comfortable with my pace either, so decided it's best to end my season there, which considering how it's gone I'm really pleased with. Gives me more time to get practicing for both the Supra Cup next week and @El_Beardo's TPC Mitsubish Vs Subaru event.

Good luck to those out there who are racing today, in both Nations and Manufacturers 👍.

Had a really good fun last race of the Nations season. Entered a lobby with @Ashthebash @T_revisio and a good few names I've become accustomed to racing with.

Qualified 7th with a fairly decent 24.0, right behind Trevisio in 6th and Ash in 4th. The start isn't too bad although at least one person died in the wall at the left hand kink.

My only issue in the race was getting punted into T2 on lap 3. At the time I felt it was an accident and after the race I had a nice apology in PS messages so it was all good. I got lucky with the bounce off the wall so only lost a couple of seconds :lol:

After that I did manage to get behind Ash who was on an absolute flier at this combo and I just couldn't keep up with the pace he was setting. Opted for 9S/9S/5M/1H with a partial refuel at the first stop then fuel to the finish at the second stop. Unfortunately my brain couldn't add 5 and 1 together to make 6 and I only fuelled for 5 laps at the second stop :dunce: That meant managing the fuel to the end, not being able to capitalise on a mistake by someone else and losing out to Trevisio. We had a shaky moment going into T2 basically because I was indecisive about which line to take. Trevisio made it work though made a clean pass.

Finished 5th behind Treviso in 4th and Ash managed a superb 2nd. Great end to the season and I finish on exactly 1900 points :gtpflag: Will have to see what the final position is but will be around 125th that I'm more than happy with.

Great racing with everyone this season 👍

20200808160715.jpg
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200808145626.jpg

It's a shame the report function doesn't do anything because it would be handy for drivers like this

Spent the rest of the race trying to stay away from him, and just clean up my SR (I got a 5 second penalty for him putting me in the wall). He eventually quit when he realised he wasn't going to get anymore fun out of me. Bit disappointing as this is split 3, so you are looking at the top 100 drivers in EMEA, not that you would realise it sometimes.

Went again in Nations. Started 5th, made it out of turn 1 first, won:

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200808173718.jpg

I beat my previous lowest score (by about 4 points) so I may as well stop here. It's not what I was hoping for from the last round of races this season but there's nothing I can do about it now. I mean that literally, I felt deformed by the time I got out of my chair. This is a tough car to drive, and 35 minutes of it is exhausting.

Had been struggling with the GT LM in practice, especially around the dockyard area and the hairpin, so didn't expect much out of the Manufacturers finale. But boy, what a difficult run the 18:00 turned out to be.

18:00 Manufacturers
Seeded 20th and last in a lobby featuring two of my Ford teammates - a Slovenian and a German. Was fairly happy with my first lap - a 1:56.899 - and optimistic about gaining a little bit towards the end of the session. Found two tenths with less than a minute to go, only for my final lap to be completely ruined when the Portuguese GT-R behind flashes his lights and nudges me forward through the tunnel. One-second penalty for contact - the GT-R had already set a time good enough for provisional 3rd so I didn't know why he wanted me to compromise my final flier. Compromise it did, and so we start 17th with the other Fords immediately in front.

As my chances of a decent result were low anyway, my attention turned towards merely surviving the race. One car had already dropped out during the qualifying phase, and, as I was about to find out soon enough, it was by no means the last.

Problems and penalties for the Slovenian Ford and British MYTEAM Porsche at the docks resulted in me being involved in a 5-way scrap for 14th, which lost one car when the latter picked up another penalty and quit. Tussled with a Spanish Porsche for 16th, before he misses his breaking point trying to pass the Slovenian into the docks. At the time I was focusing on getting the GT round while preserving the tyres so had no idea that the Spaniard was on the inside until he smashed me off into the Armco. In the stewards' infinite wisdom, it results in a 2 second penalty on my doorstep, plus an extra 0.5 seconds for cutting across the Turn 5 'kerbs'. Great. And after a brief moment challenging the Slovenian on the run into Turn 2, I serve my time and lose touch with the tail group... for now.

Meanwhile, the Portuguese GT-R, starting in 4th, falls back after a spate of incidents, including a couple of run-ins with an aggressive Belgian Porsche. Both end up in my reach along with a solitary Renault, the Nissan with a 4.5-second penalty. Jumped to 14th by the end of Lap 5 when the Belgian and Spaniard literally fought each other following a mishap near the pit exit. Still a fair way off my teammates, but settling into a good rhythm despite a scare going through the Ferrari exiting pit road on Lap 6. Knowing he was on fresher Mediums, but had a 1.5 second penalty, I was prepared to let him pass on the inside of turn 2. Indicated to the left and expected him to take as much space as he needed, but as I break just beyond the 150M sign he slams into my rear. From my replay it was clear that the Ferrari had not anticipated me braking early, and had only turned slightly as I was in the process of doing so. As a result, he got slapped with an extra 4-second penalty, though he made up for this by briefly jumping to 10th by virtue of his two-stop strategy.

One thing I learnt from practice was that after 7-8 laps the GT LM feels like it's driving on grease on worn Mediums. Very slippery through the docks and the hairpin, which helped the Portuguese GT-R catch up and passes me through the tunnel again before we were due to pit. No contact this time, thankfully, and I re-join 16th and last of the cars still running. Undercut the Belgian and started putting in a string of low-1:57s, then a 1:56.919. Regained - and lost - 14th when the GT-R serves yet another penalty. German Ford quits two laps from the end after cutting the Turn 5 'kerbs', ensuring a minimal 15th place finish. Fought the GT-R again on the penultimate lap, but by then the tyres were past their prime, so remained 15th right up to the end.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200808185445.png

Started preparations for the 20:50. Doubt things will get better, but I want to at least get one more run in the GT LM after what has been a great season with it.

Last edited:
So I’m currently 7th for Lamborghini in NA and there’s a 500 point gap between me and the top 5 drivers. Yikes. Looks like even winning today’s Manufacturers race isn’t going to do me much good as far as rankings go. Makes me wonder if I should do all three slots now for the fun of it. :lol:

Raccoon, right? We'll probably be in the same slots at least since Blue Moon Bay! Good luck today, I'll be racing all three slots probably since I don't think I can catch 4th 60 points up on me I'd need 230+ see you out on the track

My Nations race summed up in one video. :banghead:🤬

Use TC1 on grid starts, people. Especially with high powered cars like this. Despite this horrendous start, I finished 9th but I’m going again. It can't get any worse, right?

Raccoon, right? We'll probably be in the same slots at least since Blue Moon Bay! Good luck today, I'll be racing all three slots probably since I don't think I can catch 4th 60 points up on me I'd need 230+ see you out on the track

Good luck to you as well. Especially on lap 1. :lol:

Last edited:
Big tip, take the inside for that first bend on the left no matter what. I tried to leave space on the inside and drifted straight into the outside wall to pretty much end my race there. My additional poor driving didnt help, but that was one of the biggest factors. A clean start away there is almost half the race

Great. Got my SR dropped to A in the Manufacturer race because of unfair penalties thanks to people who can’t control themselves when driving in a pack. Luck isn’t on my side today, it seems.

Well, that was a roller coaster of races. I finished far higher than I should've in Nations. I qualified 16th but ended up in 9th after the first 40 seconds due to being at the back and getting through 2 pile-ups, and since I started on the Mediums and knew I wasn't going to win on just raw pace alone, I decided to commit to a 2-stop strategy. That, not fighting too much with faster people coming up behind me, and not spinning or crashing meant I finished 7th for 172 points, which actually raised my final Nations total by around 25 points, so one-and-done there.

I guess I used up all of my luck on the Nations race though, because even though I wasn't expecting much from the Manufacturer's race due to being in the 911, that was a disaster. I qualified 10th without any slipstream, as I really like the South Inner Loop track, so I thought I could at least get a semi-decent result, but there was just far too much fighting. I ended up at the head of a pack from 10th-14th, but the person behind me, probably from misjudging but I'll need to watch the replay, shoves me into the wall on the back straight-but-not-straight section into the hairpin and I fall to 14th, and it was just downhill from there as we just kept losing time by fighting. So, I finished 16th. In hindsight, I should've tried to shake things up by doing a 2 stop or something, but too late for that. I don't think I'm going to try again either because I felt I was lucky I came out with a blue S SR. Maybe around half the field had red SRs, and two people were down to SR A and one person was even down to SR B from that race. I wish the penalty system would let you bump-draft, that would've solved a lot of the issues with drafting down the straights.

Last edited:
20:50 Manufacturers
A lot of surprises in this, my final Manufacturers race of the season...

The first of which was seeing @Tidgney on the matchmaking screen, alongside familiar faces such as @Lost Sheltie and my Slovenian teammate. Second time I've ended up on one of his livestreams as a result, and a welcome lift after the frustrations of the 18:00.

Was mildly concerned when my connection showed 1 bar in warm-up, but this gradually improved as the session went on. Initial qualifying lap was a 1:56.719, the first set on Brake Balance -3 which I first tried in Free Practice. Second lap brought another surprise; four tenths up in the first sector, purple second sector and an overall time of 1:56.319 despite brushing the wall through the last S bends. Sadly, I could not improve on this on my last couple of tenths, and I ultimately ran out of time when I decided to go out again... a few seconds in front of Tidgney. Pulled to one side, no harm done... the second lap was still good enough for 11th and five tenths off the pole-sitting NSX, driven by a Greek player.

Right behind was another Greek in the McLaren F1, who wasted no time in attacking me as I tried to keep conservative on fuel and look after the tyres on BB -3. Forced him to take the outside of Turn 1, but got hung out to dry as he proceeded to pass and take a Hungarian Porsche with him on the run up to the docks. Almost joined him and the MYTEAM Porsche from the 18:00 in the Armco, then received a couple of whacks from an Aston Martin and a Mercedes while teetering around on cold tyres. No penalties, though, but the lack of grip also left me vulnerable against the Dutch Audi starting from the back. Switched back to BB -2 - as was used in the earlier sessions - and let the Audi go as we followed the MYTEAM and Spanish Porsches through the tunnel. On Lap 2, he goes wide through the dockyard complex and loses momentum after being forced to the inside of Turn 5 by the MYTEAM car. Since the latter was about to serve 5 seconds worth of penalties, I ducked to the outside to pass through him and on the inside of the Audi on the run to Turn 6.

This lead to a good back-and-forth battle between myself and the Audi which lasted for a few laps. Some of the cleanest and closest racing I've had all evening, although the Audi would eventually fade away upon receiving a track limits penalty and an accident at the final S bend. Started closing in on the Spanish Porsche up ahead, but not enough to trigger slipstream, but lost time with a tentative entry into Turn 2. The Ford felt much better this time at the Lap 7-8 mark than in the 18:00; whether it was down to my more careful handling, the battling or starting on BB-3 I'm not exactly sure. Either way, we catch up to what is now a three-car fight for 13th (between the Spanish Porsche, the Hyundai and a French Jag), and repeat the same process as we all serve our stops. Having initially lost touch with the group ahead - which the Porsche eventually broke off from - I gradually erode away the deficit while monitoring the gap between myself and the Greek McLaren.

Two laps from the end, I'm just around 8-9 tenths down, on BB -2 and with an extra 0.8 lap's worth of fuel. Slipstream is finally earned as the Hyundai scrapes the barrier at Turn 1, and the declining fortunes of a French Corvette driver is about to spice things up a bit. Turned up the revs as we passed the start line for the penultimate time, keeping the Hyundai honest as he blocks the outside. The Corvette loses it coming out of Turn 1; the Jaguar clips him, earning a 5-second penalty. More sparks from the Hyundai as he hits the barrier again; here's my chance! Round the outside, up the hill; three places gained before we reach the docks! Hyundai kept his slipstream and saw a chance when I drifted wide at the hairpin; thankfully a good exit kept me ahead through the twisty bits after. Almost embarrassed myself by accidentally downshifting when I was meant to flash my headlights in celebration, but was still four tenths ahead along the railway straight.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200808214558.png

First lap problems aside, this was a better lobby in almost every way. Better qualifying, better tyre management, better racing and - most importantly - a marginally better points finish. Not enough to add to my overall score, but I don't care considering that I got a few nice battles out of it. On a side note, I did catch a little bit of Tidgney's stream in the interval, specifically the part where he caught up to me towards the end of qualifying. He mentioned that he might have been distracted by seeing my car in front of him, so I went ahead and apologised in lobby chat after the race; Tidgney quickly replied saying that he should have focused on himself since I was ready to pull over anyway. 👍

Well, what an end to the season. Must admit that I'm starting to appreciate the South Inner Loop a bit more after this...

Nations Cup went well. Qualified 8th and finished 5th. Had the strategy to take a podium, but tangled with someone in the second hairpin as I was holding him up after his pit. But happy with the finish after being part of the big T1, Lap 1 pileup and another spin on lap 2 on the final corner (my fault, caught the inside kerb).

Leader had us all blitzed, but his connection kicked it with less than 10 to go.

Was purple in sector 1 every lap, and with Fast Lap changed probably 5 times, just unable to get those two long rights during the race.

Though, in reflection, a solid rookie campaign for buying the game and a PS4 only because of the Trump $1,200 “be happy we are giving you anything” check.

Last edited:
Did the 2nd Nations slot, the one 10 mins after the Top 16, door #5, sharing lobby with @wedjim.

High downforce cars suit my driving style well for qualifying. Had one of my best ever. First banker put me P1 and improved it two more times to take pole with a 24.2. :)

In the race, I didn't have a good start but was able to keep the lead. Was trying to do some fuel saving and got caught up by a Canadian, had to go a little bit defensive twice but was able to keep the lead. Pitted at the end of lap 9 and put another set of softs. Managed to keep the lead, with the Canadian still close behind.

Pitted for hards on lap 18 and again for mediums the following lap. Lost the lead after the final stop as the Canadian took the tyres in the opposite order, but recovered it when he went for hards at the end of the penultimate lap. Had a gap of over 2 seconds in the final lap, so I just brought it home safely.

Got a weird message from someone (one of the drivers shown driving dirty a few pages before here), saying I had blocked him. But he just caught me in a straight at full throttle and bumped me, he wasn't even remotely close into any braking zones and I didn't even make any defensive moves against him, so no idea what was that about. :confused:

Anyway, first win of this 2020 official season for me, in the final round. 194 points is also my best ever score. Really happy with this result! Nice way to finish the season! :cheers:

20200808_205320.jpg

Eh, I think I might be too tired for the Manufacturers Series round tonight at 2240. I had a MeetUp today, which went well, and even if I didn’t attend that, I would be visiting my brother alongside my parents. Ah, whatever. I’m more confident in my Nations Cup results, anyway.

That was a nice clean race from what I saw @csmirnoff excellent work!
...the replay behind you was BRUTAL. I started on hards from 14th with nothing to lose, about a second off your pace...I think 15 minutes practice and a few laps Wednesday night wasn’t enough to be fast. About 5 cars were spinning and flying everywhere. I ended up making up a few spot by sheer luck. Although after battling all race and making my way up to 7th, I spun just before the start of the final lap. Dropped to 10th. 128pts, 1 and done.

Manu I was 17th qualifier, 7 S/S drivers... and after battling all race with some sketchy drivers I worked my way up to 8th, even with 6 seconds of underserved penalties. I forget the drivers name, but I had pulled a cross over on him on the final lap, he shot past me and bumped my bumper on the way by. I got a 1 second penalty, but he check up at the finish line and gave me the time back, holding his position in 9th. That was a class move. I’ll have to look him up and thank him, didn’t realize it at races end. 138 pts, 1 and done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back