FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok...even though after totally getting my days mixed up and showing up for the race on Sunday!! and missing the last race :D... I managed to finish 18th for BMW.

@KosmoKazi thanks for the mention and for sharing the track. It definitely makes it much more fun when we share the grid with someone from the forum.

NATIONS: did not participate.

MANUFACTURERS:

- 16 races out of the 30 rounds. 1 win, some podiums (don’t have the exact stats right now)

Of course, Will definitely sign with BMW again, and again, and again :cheers:

Thanks everyone for such a cool season and thanks to GT Planet for providing the platform for sharing results, tips on strategies, and overall discussions! 👍

See you all again next season!

33079B9D-E06C-499A-B574-B98A9DAB88A4.jpeg

FB7E1421-6C0F-459D-B8C0-6CAB617D42AC.jpeg

Ok so this is how I finished. I did change manufacturer from BMW to Lexus after Stage 1 so lost some points and couldn’t enter many of the races but very happy with my points haul which is my highest yet. Top 20 for Lexus. Didn’t quite achieve my goal of making it to DR A only racing in FIA, ending up with an agonising 29,955 DR :guilty: . Goal for next official season is to top 1,000 points! (Will hopefully make it to DR A during the upcoming exhibition series). Driver no.1 in Greater London too which I think must be worth something :lol:

Well done everyone else with some impressive points totals!

Do I have to pick one? Or can I run either or, depending on circuit? Because I really can't pick one or the other. Though, most laps I ran where at Brands Hatch, and my best lap was in the VGT by almost half a second.

yes you have to pick one. I've driven for Mazda in several different seasons, and when the VGT was released I decided to switch to it from the Atenza. I soon regretted that decision. However, the Atenza did get nerf'd at the last update, and it's now significantly less competitive than it was. It was borderline OP before, especially if tire wear and fuel is a factor.

The VGT is a handling car that does not have very good acceleration. It is great on tire wear, but average on fuel. The turn-in is actually quite amazing. There are a few circuits where it does pretty well...particularly tracks with high-speed corners that you would take in 4th or 5th gear, but if the straights between those corners are too long, it will suffer. It's a lot more difficult to drive than the Atenza, but if you like the feeling of twitchy MR cars compared to more stable FR cars, the VGT is the way to go. I feel like if this car got a small buff in horsepower, it would be competitive on a lot more circuits.

Final FIA 2020 Results

Nations

Like last year, I started Nations first when the Exhibition Stage was still the original Stage 1, in the hope of getting a good points haul before I committed to Manufacturers. Sometimes I wished that the points from that stage (including my 3rd at Red Bull Ring) would have still counted towards my overall results, but ultimately both this and the main season turned out to be rather soul-sapping. Main highlights were a couple of entertaining kart races in Round 1 (including my first encounter with 'wifi password'), along with charges from 12th to 6th at Spa (Gr.1) and 9th to 4th at Dragon Trail Seaside II (Gr.4). My DR topped 60K for the first time partially as a result of these, but sadly much of the remaining rounds I took part in were a total whitewash. Didn't gel with a few other combos in practice, so I only ended up doing 10 races in total (including retries) compared to 18 last year.

Have to admit that I became disillusioned with Nations mid-way through Stage 2 following a string of tough races in both championships, and so took a break after a terrible run at Laguna Seca (Gr.1). From that point on, my main focus championship-wise was on improving my Manufacturers score, but I eventually came back for the one Stage 3 combo that I was genuinely interested in - Tsukuba Gr.B. Good qualifying time, a good drive on a one-stop strategy (thanks @Mistah_MCA!) and a hard-fought battle for the last couple of top 10 positions. A high note to an otherwise middling season, which bagged a total of 1160 points for 573rd in EMEA and 91st in the UK. Inevitably a lower set of rankings compared to 2019, but remarkably still enough for me to finish 3rd again in my region, over 1,000 points off the top two.

Manufacturers
I was unsure at first whether to stay with Ford for Manufacturers, especially on the back of promising Exhibition Season runs with Dodge and Citroen, but in the end I'm glad I did. It shocked me how well the GT LM felt in testing around Red Bull Ring for Round 2; before the season, all I remembered was that it was a twitchy and borderline untameable beast on a controller. Something must have changed in the updates since, as it didn't take long for me to warm to its mix of speed, smoothness and better handling over the Gr.3 Mustang. That, plus a glorious engine note which makes its newer counterparts sound relatively tinny. The GT's strengths would ultimately show themselves by taking three 4th places (Red Bull Ring, Sardegna Road Track 2, Interlagos), two 5th places (Brands Hatch, Red Bull Ring) and a solitary 3rd place at Blue Moon Bay. In total, I scored fourteen top 10 finishes in both categories from 22 starts, including a handful of retries. Took a bit longer to get results out of the Mustang - especially with its loftier handling - but 6th at Fuji, two 7th place finishes (Lago Maggiore, Brands Hatch) and 9th at Spa proved that it could still be competitive under the right circumstances and with a clever bit of strategy. The power nerf it received mid-season didn't seem to make much of an impact.

@SmokeyMR2 reckoned last year that I would have the pace to challenge for victories this season, and there were plenty of times - especially at Red Bull Ring (Gr.3, Round 2), Sardegna Road Track B (Gr.3) and Fuji (Gr.4) - where I came close if it weren't for better strategies by others. That being said, both cars - especially the GT - worked well enough, and in a lot of cases worked even better in the hands of the few teammates that I was occasionally matched with. There were moments of frustration, as in Nations, but overall I found Manufacturers to be more enjoyable and more rewarding in terms of points and pace. My final score totalled 1879 points, enough to finish 4th for Ford, 151st in EMEA and a comfortable 1st in my region. Very happy and proud with this, especially since this was achieved at mostly 55-60K DR and against some rather tough opposition.

20200803200707.jpg

Been very fortunate to race alongside a number of familiar names from GTP and the wider community, including @Adam Barber, @Ashthebash, @GOTMAXPOWER, @Hasnain282, @ivann, @Lost Sheltie, SmokeyMR2, @timekiller001, @T_revisio, @watto79 and - of course - @Tidgney. Also special thanks to everyone who hosted test lobbies and shared strategies/write-ups, especially Mistah_MCA whose guides proved particularly invaluable alongside ghost laps set by the top Ford drivers in most Free Practice sessions.

Shall use the time away from FIA races to focus on enduros, liveries and the occasional Daily Cs if I have the itch for them. Don't know what my plans are for future Manufacturers campaigns, but will keep an eye on the Exhibition Season for any combos I might fancy. Until then, stay safe and have a nice summer! :gtpflag::) :gtpflag:

My final races of this season:

Nations - 1st Time Slot

Driving the X2019 in practice, I was wondering if my pace would be alright since this car needs to be driven differently than my usual driving style, and while I was getting the hang of it, it wasn't fully sub-consciously in my mind yet. @GTWolverine and @mohitraina91 were in this race, along with some other familiar faces I've raced against quite a bit this season, so I knew this was going to be an extremely competitive lobby.

Qualifying went as expected, I qualified 16th despite my best efforts. I decided to start on the Mediums and decide later in the race if I wanted to do a 2 stop or a 3 stop, since both strategies are viable depending on how you drive and what traffic you encounter.

I get a good start, but I'm cautious coming into T1 as in a practice race, a ton of people wiped out. So, I go down into 17th, only to immediately go up to 12th as people crash. I take the first hairpin very cautiously as there are swarms of cars, and I go up into 11th as it all kicks off behind me. I then gain 2 more positions and go into 9th in the fast right-left complex as the two people ahead of me crash. I'm extending by lead to the gap behind, and a group of 4 ahead are fighting, which lets me close in on them. Coming off of the street circuit and back onto the main circuit before the quick S bends, the group ahead has a kerfuffle, and I take 7th place as two people are off the track.

The people ahead of me, now in clean air, begin to pull away, and the people behind begin catching me. I decide to not fight them too much because I know they're faster than me pace-wise, so I let them go and fall down into 9th after the first hairpin on Lap 5. I'm coming close to my pit window if I want to go for a 3 stop, but I decide I'll stay out an extra 2 laps so if I do the 3 stop, my softs stints will be easier and I can push hard. So, I let another faster person by on Lap 6, but also pass someone as they pit, keeping me in 9th.

At this point, I've stabilized a bit- The people ahead are pulling away, but I'm maintaining my gap to the people behind. Furthermore, the tires still feel good and my times on Lap 7 and 8 were consistent and also on-par with what I was doing in practice races. So, I decide to commit to the 2 stop. I knew I couldn't gain places on raw pace anyways, so again I relied on strategy to help.

It was pretty much a time trial until the beginning of Lap 14, where I actually ended up in 4th place as people pitted. A faster person was coming behind me, and the rear tires were definitely worn out as I was getting a ton of wheelspin. I got distracted looking at the delta coming into the long left-turn and clipped the wall, and that must've thrown the person behind off as they brake far too late and slam into the wall, meaning I keep 4th. I let them through on the S bend section and then pit. I refuel fully as I've fuel saved enough to make it to the end. I decide to switch to Softs due to the spacing of cars behind me, and I come out in 10th.

Our favorite hotheaded driver is behind me, but he's not gaining super quickly. So, I keep doing my thing since I can't close the gap ahead, and I let them through the first hairpin on Lap 18 when they do eventually catch up to me. This puts me down into 8th as I've passed some more people who've pitted. I grow the gap to the person behind to almost 3 seconds, but the hothead has caught up to another person on Lap 21. I don't want to make it a 3-way battle since that could get messy, knowing how the hothead drives, so I stay behind. The hot head gets by, and the person he was fighting makes a mistake in the complex before the final hairpin on Lap 22, so I come ahead and take 7th place, just in time as the person behind had caught up to me.

I'm able to keep that gap up though until my final pit stop on Lap 24 for Hards. I take a splash of fuel since I only had 0.8 laps left, just in case, and come out in 8th, with a 2 second gap to 9th and a 9 second gap to 7th. So, I cruise on the final lap, fully revving up the engine with the extra fuel I took. But then, on the final corner, I pass someone going slowly, recovering from a spin, and I finish 7th for 172 points. I expected nothing from this race, and it boosted by final point total for the season by 30 points over my next highest score that would count. I was happy, to say the least, and this was a clear one-and-done.

Manufacturer's, 1st Time Slot

I love the South Inner Loop track, it just flows really well for me. However, being in the 911 RSR, I wasn't entering this thinking I was going to get good results due to this being a power track. But, it's the last race of the season, so I had to take part, and furthermore, I made a special Wangan Midnight/Tokyo Xtreme Racer tribute livery for the 911.

Qualifying went much better than expected. Without slipstream, I qualified 10th. So, my hopes were raised. That was a mistake.

Everyone is calm through T1 at race start, and I get a run on the AMG ahead that got a poor exit, but something happens at the hairpin that sees the leader down into 7th. He ends up going side-by-side with a Lexus, blocking me and slowing me down, which also causes me to sideswipe the AMG trying to pass me. So now the top 6 are long gone. Coming into the hairpin, I brake early to be cautious and get swarmed by the pack behind. The Lexus gets a poor exit, but I can't pass in the sweeping section, putting me under attack. I mess up the final corner and two other 911s get by me as Lap 2 starts, with another car hot on my heels. The two 911s ahead block the road so I have to back off, which gives the M6 behind me a run on me. They pass me, but I pass them and one of the 911 ahead back as they serve a penalty.

I want to break their tow and start doing my own thing, but the M6 is still tucked into my slipstream. I defend into the hairpin, and I think I'm able to get a run as people behind are fighting, but they stay glued to my tail. Coming into the final corner of the back straight before the hairpin, the 911 that was tailing me goes for a move, but ends up shoving me into the wall, making me fall from 11th to 15th, with an AMG right next to me. And then for the rest of the race, this group keeps fighting, and I keep falling back. I tried to get an undercut by pitting on Lap 8, but the two 911s did the same, and we all become one big group again on Lap 9 after the rest of them pitted. Eventually, I cross the finish line in 16th. We all lost so much time fighting each other. I thought of going again, but given that I got two SR downs from someone trying to bump-draft me (which would've toned down the fighting if we could bump draft), and around half the lobby having red S SRs, including two SRs down to A and one SR down to B, I decided not to. Luckily, the rest of my races are still solid finishes.

I skipped the entire third segment of the season. I burned myself out completely with this competition and lost interest after having a constant schedule, especially with some bad results in the closing races of segment two. I needed to step away, didn't even play ACC for about a month now. Yes, I could have skipped races, but I always feel like I need to participate in case something turns into a potentially high scoring round. Still finished the season 35th in Nations, 49th in Manufacturers (2nd for Aston Martin), which is pretty par for the course from the previous two years, although usually, I had done better in Manufacturers than Nations.

I was in top tier rooms much more than in previous seasons, but I think that's in part due to the dwindling amount of competitors, most have moved onto other games. There were plenty of good races, but I scored no wins this season for the first time, and I think it would have been impossible in all but maybe one or two races to even manage a victory. I have certainly lost a lot of the consistency I thought I used to have, meaning I either fell back or lost anything that I had gained in quite a few races. Way too many silly little mistakes that had big costs. I wish there were more races where there could be good side by side competition and battles, but most races just turned into a procession of trying to squeeze out every tenth from the car and lap. Being in the Top 1% has always been a very frustrating experience. Too much overthinking on my part and a feeling that the results don't match the ranking.

I hope if there is a next season, they work in more breaks in the schedule. In previous years there were some breaks coinciding with holidays and important racing events, plus the World Tour breaks. It'd just be nice to not have to take up so much of my week. I keep thinking I should step away from these and take a "retirement" but I'm too competitive to let it go.

Lots of great race reports! I had a great rookie season in FIA and thanks for this forums help in strategy and race tips, there is no doubt that it helped me have much better first season results! I haven’t looked at the hard numbers, but my A bar is trending right and is nearly 3/4 across, might be A+ soon?
(I switched to a racing wheel and playseat in December)

I entered 21 of 30 in Nations, with a best score of 205 and my lowest counting score was 135, for a total of 1296 points. About 6 of the events I wished I had not attempted, since I had almost no preparation or practice and it showed in those results.

I finished;
13th in Florida, 1st in my county and 1st in +50 group.
97 in U.S.A.
126 in North America

in Manufacturers I entered 23 of 30 with much the same regrets, lack of prep time is a huge factor. When I managed to get a decent result, it felt pretty lucky and usually was just that. The rain race was a disaster and ended up not counting. I forget what the high and low scores were in Manu, but from memory I believe it was 198 and 128 low.

I finished;
2 in Florida
7 Regional Manu
189 in North America

Thanks again for being a great resource for new friendships, letting off steam, perspective and having some laughs at blooper videos!

On to our 2nd season!....ok MY 2nd.

hNc6XS3.jpg

I had set my goal on a Top 10 finish for Manu, but unfortunately I chose the wrong manufacturer for Stage One. I finished in the same position in Manu as I did in last year’s official season.

I initially started doing Nations to boost DR after the cap increase and quickly found my pace there. Highest finish in an official season.

10th in Nations / 7th in US
16th in Manu / 2nd Driver for Dodge

Very glad that the season is over. It’s been a long emotional season filled with all sorts of setbacks and victories. Ready for a break!

So, I will add in my season finish. Entered FIA as I realized it was more or less spread out for everyone and not just aliens. Decided I would do what I could to do well, but not dedicating lots of time to practice and not running multiple slots. In the end it was a mixed bag. I started out doing better than I thought in Nations, and finished doing pretty well in Manu after I really started to get comfortable with the 2 jags.

I think now that I know how it goes I will do less races next season and just sort of pop in and out. I find it was a good way to break up the dailies and get some longer variety races.

Will probably pick Jag again as I got frustrated with them for a while, but started to figure things out later and really get some speed out of them. Confusingly I mostly did well at tracks I dont know well or dont like. And the 1st tank in Taranaki is a bit of a joke, there were only 5 people in the area and I was the only 1 who did more than 10 races I think. For you US people that area would be about a large sized county.
Screenshot_20200810-172651_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200810-172630_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'm always starting a new game and switching manufacturers. The one thing I'd want constant, are the players I race against. Doing the Daily races... okay, mainly the changes in penalties, throw me for a loop. Half this season, I raced the same players. Once the penalty thing drops players down, when it's time for FIA, I wind up seeing all new players in my races. I can also say, I'm the new player in other player's races.

Nations
Local Ranking
New South Wales
30th
Domestic Ranking
Australia
106th
Regional Rankings
Oceania
121th
Your Points 996Points

Some low scores even though I won races. The DR killed me. Last race was only 36 points.

Don't know how new Manu will go. Hopefully we see some intersting combos. Sure, not much we can do with the staple Fuji, Tokyo, Red Bull, Maggiore, Suzuka events. Just hoping to see events that keep me interested.

0C2F72EC-AF04-481B-8D98-CB69D940D303.jpeg

My best season yet and almost cracked 1,000 points! Became a DR A start of Stage 3 and managed to stay in top 5 for Manufacturer, maintaining S rank for the exhibition season.

A warm welcome to all those transferring to Dodge for the upcoming season! Bracing myself for the impending nerf! ;):lol:

Hello everyone!

Didn't really participated this season apart from a couple of races, but have been considering joining for next one if time allows.
Got a bunch of questions, if you have the time I will really appreciate your replies!

In no particular order:

1. In manufacturers series there are local and domestic rankings. Do they include users from all manufacturers teams? Or just the one you choose?

2. Is there any info if next season will consist of 3 stages as well? I remember the one in the beginning of this year consisted only of 10 races, but I remember it was some kind of a pre-seasonal thing

3. If you have to choose between Manu and Nations, what would you choose and why? I know for sure I won't have time for both, and to me it comes down to the following:
Nations - better variety of cars
Manu - you always drive the same cars and hence you are better prepared for the race, but so is everyone else.

4. Do you find FIA races more clean than daily races in general? What about lower SR? Was unfairly dropped a coupe of weeks back and don't want to have that feeling of "gotta get back my SR before FIA race ASAP!!!", just drains all the fun for me.

My Nations Cups stats are kinda funny. You can call me Mr Average. Jack of all trades master of none.

Headlines
Capture1.JPG

Stats
Raced 30 out of 30 events.
47 total attempts so 17 retries. This included 1 disconnect due to a console that was hotter than the sun.
Race Wins - ZERO
Podiums - 3 (all P2's, BRZ at Suzuka, Gr.3 at Suzuka and SSRX)
Top 5's - 9
Total laps raced - 695
Total Laps Led - ZERO
Average qualifying position - 11.81 - this is what I need to work on!

The goal at the start of the season was to get an S Rank in a 'proper' FIA season so chuffed to have managed that and got closer to the top 100 than I expected.

Highlight of the season - F1500 race was super fun. Shame about the tuning though. Zonda R race was surprisingly fun too.

wtf of the season - SSRX race. Even though this was my highest score I can only agree that this had no place in an FIA season. Great fun though.

Complaint of the season - The penalty system. I cringe every time PD state they've "adjusted the penalty algorithm". It can be hard to enjoy racing when each time there's a tiny bump you have to sweat over someone getting an un-needed penalty.

As others have said, the community now more than ever are what makes this game what it is and I've had great fun. Shout out to the strategists who make our lives that much easier when it comes these events, namely @Mistah_MCA and @pantherjag I know those guide take a lot of time to put together. They are a MASSIVE help.

And lastly to mirror something @Ashthebash said. My DR all season has been around the 55k - 58k mark and it feels like I've been racing pretty much the same people all season. This really helped make it enjoyable as the racing for the most part is clean and respectful as we've got to know each others style. Mistakes are made and people hold their hands up to it, give the spot back and apologise later, and we all move on to the next race. There are exceptions of course but I feel lucky to be at a level where this is usually the case.

On to whatever the next seasons entail!

Thanks to all of the drivers I have come across this season. It was a learning experience for me as I continue to push my limits. Thanks for all of the clean races and apologies to those where I came up short in the sportsmanship department. I will continue to hone my skills and have an even better season in the future. :cheers: :gtpflag:

Screenshot_2020-08-10 Sport Mode Gran Turismo Sport.png

My Jaguar report for the season is that the Gr.3 car is an understeering pig (but fast in a straight line once it gets moving), and the Gr.4 car is pretty good.

Good example of the issues with the Gr.3 car was Saturdays race, where the Audi behind me was around 0.4 secs faster than me through the snaking section at the end of the lap, but because of the grunt of the Jag on the straights he simply couldn't get past. Basically, if you choose the Gr.3 jag then expect to be slow around most corners, and expect to deal with understeer a lot, but anywhere the car gets above 150mph you will probably be going faster than most other cars.

Gr.4 car on the other hand is pretty good. I got my best points with it, and it is just pretty good in most regions. It is decent in corners, decent on the straights and its tyre wear is fine. It is never going to be the best car, but it is competitive in most cases. Only poor thing about it is the fuel consumption, but in that will only cost you a couple of seconds in a race so it isn't the end of the world.

My other take from this season is that I really need to learn slipstream in qualifying. Most races I qualified without any slipstream, and considering I seemed to end up around 0.6secs off pole a number of times I am guessing that this cost me a few places. Apart from that I think my driving was ok so relatively happy with the results.

Not sure what Manufacturer to choose next, but looking at Hyundai, Dodge, Lexus or Toyota. Dodge might be a bit too popular next season so probably one of the other 3.

To anybody I raced against, thanks for the fun races this season. See you next season :)

Race 30 - Tokyo Expressway - 17 min 2 camera race edit
Decided late to start to practice for this but got decent pace in lobby and practice, however did not translate to qualifying.
19 on the door and started 15th in a strong room with 6 S/S drivers. Good to see team mates TPC_Racoon and @Jwptexas in the race as well as some other people that I raced before. It was a fun and clean race. However, I got one of those stupid bump 1s penalties from an extremely light touch on the rear bumper of @VrapPlus Corvette in the heat of the battle (great clean driver).
All in all a fun race and the video is gorgeous with my livery looking good under the lights. ENJOY!

Was pretty consistent all year, but this formula (Top 8 / 30 events) doesn't pay that as much as top finishes... so need to find a way to get more points at least some of the time!

What I really need to work on, to score more:

1) Qualifying better. While I improved, I would be able to retain more positions and avoid the mid-pack garbage that can ruin a race, if starting in the top 5 more often... will need to work on my pace.

2) Hoping to bump by DR up just a little, to get it in the 35-40k range, so that I'm scoring more points each race.

My AXC TrueBrake mod is on the way... hopefully will be installed and adapted to it by Round 1 of the 2020/2021 season, and even more: hope it allows me to gain some speed with improved trail braking control on the G29... which I think is an area that I can improve on to get more pace.

I did analyze my results, having kept track of a lot of things all season. My finishes were 'impacted' by puntings and the like just 4 or 5 times (considering only the final results of any race... the re-runs were sometimes attributed to others' actions... I didn't keep track of those). I'd thrown away a few spots in more than one race by not being careful about how much fuel to add, costing me important tenths/positions. I was lacking pace in most of the other bottom-10 finishes, or else dropped a wheel, and in a few cases had the wrong strategy.

So there is potential for more, and the DR slope is still heading upward (if only slightly...), so I'll keep digging!

upload_2020-8-10_11-34-6.png

upload_2020-8-10_11-34-21.png

2020 GT Sport FIA Championships

Rookie Season by the numbers:
  • Events competed in: 49 out of 60 (24 Nations, 25 Mfrs)
  • Races competed in: 71 (33 Nations, 38 Manufacturers) (7 and 11 re-runs)
  • Wins: 1 (Mfrs) (1 pole position)
  • 13 top 5’s
Nations Points: 981
  • 251th in NA
  • 200th in US
  • 7th in Michigan
Mfrs Points: 1040
  • 329th in NA
  • 58th for Porsche
  • 2nd Porsche Driver in Michigan
Podiums: 6 (3 Nations, 3 Mfrs)
  • Average Finishing position: 9th
  • Average finishing position: -0.5 from starting position
Average DR Rank in races: 11th
  • (Every Door # except 2 and 20!)
  • Raced finished above DR: about 70%
Started Season at 23k DR
Ended Season at 35k DR after losing 2k in the final two events!
Average DR during season: 30k

Best FIA points: 145 (Nations: Gr4 at DTG, 3rd) 142 (Manufacturers: Gr3 at Spa, 4th)
Average FIA points per round (all): 98
Average FIA pts per round (top 8): 123 (118 Nations, 128 Mfrs)

My best tracks turned out to be:
  • Spa: 4.5 in four races
  • Sardegna: 5.0 in four races
  • Dragon Trail: 6.25 in four races
  • Suzuka: 7.2 in four races
My worst tracks were:
  • Nurburgring GP: 16th in three races
  • Fuji: 13.7 in three races
Did slightly better with Gr.4 races overall, compared to Gr.3, 8.3 finishing position vs 8.6, in both series... but overall pretty balanced between the two. It was the one-makes and special races that brought my average down.

Really enjoyed my first season of the FIAGTC. The competition is fantastic-- really motivated to get better the more I played. Ran out of momentum in Stage 3 of the Nations Cup races, but was going strong in the Manufacturer's Series at the same time, so not too disappointed with how things turned out.

Also managed to get the Alt account up to 2nd in state for the Manufacturers Series, even with just 8 races run, and by the end was racing in some overlapping lobbies with my main account, so it was good competition as well, just for fun in another car.

Thanks to all the good ones here and in the game that make it fun, sporting, and challenging. And really thanks for the fellowship here on the forum... made the season much more rewarding to share it with all of you here. Been a lot of fun to share the grid with you all, including @Lewmatic, @afc5150, @CurbHog, @Razgriz2118, @Keith2324, @Odiesback ... and anyone else I missed... and thanks again, @Jwptexas for convincing me to run the season... I had no intention but glad you suggested it. Would be great to share some racing with you guys in the UK and EU as well, it's a shame we can only share the fun here on GT Planet, but thanks to you and the Oceana region guys for sharing what to expect in those earlier time zone races... it's a great help!

:gtpflag:

While I was looking forward to a break (and my family was probably hoping as well) I'm sure I won't be able to stay away for the 2020/2021 Exhibition Series... targeting that Star Player rating, though it's a long shot at my current pace and DR. Good luck to all there and see you again as that gets going!

4756373028326113796_0.jpg

Gonna peel those yellow rookie stripes off now!

7422500637847322640_0.jpg

8151542826822270984_0.jpg

My Jaguar report for the season is that the Gr.3 car is an understeering pig (but fast in a straight line once it gets moving), and the Gr.4 car is pretty good.

Good example of the issues with the Gr.3 car was Saturdays race, where the Audi behind me was around 0.4 secs faster than me through the snaking section at the end of the lap, but because of the grunt of the Jag on the straights he simply couldn't get past. Basically, if you choose the Gr.3 jag then expect to be slow around most corners, and expect to deal with understeer a lot, but anywhere the car gets above 150mph you will probably be going faster than most other cars.

Gr.4 car on the other hand is pretty good. I got my best points with it, and it is just pretty good in most regions. It is decent in corners, decent on the straights and its tyre wear is fine. It is never going to be the best car, but it is competitive in most cases. Only poor thing about it is the fuel consumption, but in that will only cost you a couple of seconds in a race so it isn't the end of the world.

:)

You summed up my feelings exactly about the Jag. And for me, as I have previously stated, all it needs is a camber change and it drives great. That's why nerfs and buffs to the BOP don't make any sense to me. If you are only going to increase or decrease the power, then the car will either be slower in the corners or drive right through them. But that's a topic for another day. Good luck in whatever manufacturer you choose. And I guess we'll see if they make any changes before the next season starts.

Well, after a long Sunday of watching racing (FE Round 8, Super GT, 4 Hours of Spa, F1 and FE Round 9), I'm back.

Nations

My first win was taken at the final round of Nations Exhibition (X2014JR at Sardegna B), where I had crushed my fellow D rank drivers, won despite completely binning it on the final lap (finishing 2 seconds ahead of 2nd who then got penalised for mandatory tyres) and got promoted to C rank.

I knew that I would not be able to repeat that feat this time round, being completely inexperienced with both car and track and I qualified a distant 13th.
3l3oi4e.jpg

Of course, I would end up having to survive the mayhem of lap 1:

I was not sure whether I should take a two-stop or three-stop, but the long trail of cars prompted me to do a three-stop (9S-9S-5M-1H) to minimise the risk of traffic. However, this would not work out, as I would end up missing my target of 6th and finishing 7th.
smZXQXY.jpg
yXqobgb.jpg

Manufacturers

First race was a disaster, as I was annihilated at the first right turn into the docks and I finished 14th with a SR drop to A. I had 58 points, but my next best result was 56 points, so I went again. Second race in A SR was pointless, as I had to finish 1st or 2nd against 3 A DR drivers. I finished 7th with another SR drop to B. I knew the third race would be pointless, but I went in to try and repair my SR.

I suffered an SR drop in qualifying by running into the back of a slow car on my first flying lap, but I was able to score 3rd on the grid behind a Supra and RX-V. The start was a mess, as the three of us went wide at the first right into the docks. I had been able to recover immediately, but my sliding slam into 2nd left me with another SR drop and a 1 second penalty. The penalty sent me back down to 2nd and I did my best to keep up with the RX-V in 1st. On lap 3, the Supra overtook me down the straight after turn 1 and immediately started fighting the RX-V, with the fight finally boiling over into the hairpin:

After the Mazda succumbed to the red mist and rage-quitted, the Supra pulled away and left me in no man's land. We both boxed on lap 8 for tyres and I noticed that the Supra's fuel tank was below half. Despite that, the Supra added no fuel and I was left to run my own race again.

As the Porsche behind inched closer and closer, I debated letting the Porsche past to preserve my SR. The Porsche caught up to me on lap 15 and I prepared to go wide at the hairpin to let him through. Suddenly, the Supra dives into the pits, almost out of fuel. The Porsche takes the inside line at the hairpin, but goes wide into me on exit. The Porsche briefly loses control from the collision and falls behind me as I realised that a win was on the cards.

I spent the rest of the race going defensive, determined to at least take a win to salvage a disastrous night. On the final lap, the Porsche gets ahead of me on the straight between turn 1 and the docks, but is forced to take the outside line and fall behind me. I take another SR down in the tunnel thanks to the stupid bump draft, but I hold on to take my win.

7KDWyeR.jpg
XsfRvVq.jpg

I lost even more SR, but the win and the SF19 Toyota I got from the midnight daily workout made up for it.

Final Points Tally

5cZYddE.jpg
x71kSav.jpg

I started my rookie season at low B/high C DR and finished as a mid/high B. I'm pretty happy with my Nations points, but my lack of points in Manufacturers reflect my hatred for the Alfa Gr.4 after the May nerf. I'm considering another MR manufacturer like Honda or Citroen for next season, as I want something resembling the good rotation and stability of the Alfa Gr.3.

Well, after a long Sunday of watching racing (FE Round 8, Super GT, 4 Hours of Spa, F1 and FE Round 9), I'm back.

Nations

My first win was taken at the final round of Nations Exhibition (X2014JR at Sardegna B), where I had crushed my fellow D rank drivers, won despite completely binning it on the final lap (finishing 2 seconds ahead of 2nd who then got penalised for mandatory tyres) and got promoted to C rank.

I knew that I would not be able to repeat that feat this time round, being completely inexperienced with both car and track and I qualified a distant 13th.
3l3oi4e.jpg

Of course, I would end up having to survive the mayhem of lap 1:

I was not sure whether I should take a two-stop or three-stop, but the long trail of cars prompted me to do a three-stop (9S-9S-5M-1H) to minimise the risk of traffic. However, this would not work out, as I would end up missing my target of 6th and finishing 7th.
smZXQXY.jpg
yXqobgb.jpg

Manufacturers

First race was a disaster, as I was annihilated at the first right turn into the docks and I finished 14th with a SR drop to A. I had 58 points, but my next best result was 56 points, so I went again. Second race in A SR was pointless, as I had to finish 1st or 2nd against 3 A DR drivers. I finished 7th with another SR drop to B. I knew the third race would be pointless, but I went in to try and repair my SR.

I suffered an SR drop in qualifying by running into the back of a slow car on my first flying lap, but I was able to score 3rd on the grid behind a Supra and RX-V. The start was a mess, as the three of us went wide at the first right into the docks. I had been able to recover immediately, but my sliding slam into 2nd left me with another SR drop and a 1 second penalty. The penalty sent me back down to 2nd and I did my best to keep up with the RX-V in 1st. On lap 3, the Supra overtook me down the straight after turn 1 and immediately started fighting the RX-V, with the fight finally boiling over into the hairpin:

After the Mazda succumbed to the red mist and rage-quitted, the Supra pulled away and left me in no man's land. We both boxed on lap 8 for tyres and I noticed that the Supra's fuel tank was below half. Despite that, the Supra added no fuel and I was left to run my own race again.

As the Porsche behind inched closer and closer, I debated letting the Porsche past to preserve my SR. The Porsche caught up to me on lap 15 and I prepared to go wide at the hairpin to let him through. Suddenly, the Supra dives into the pits, almost out of fuel. The Porsche takes the inside line at the hairpin, but goes wide into me on exit. The Porsche briefly loses control from the collision and falls behind me as I realised that a win was on the cards.

I spent the rest of the race going defensive, determined to at least take a win to salvage a disastrous night. On the final lap, the Porsche gets ahead of me on the straight between turn 1 and the docks, but is forced to take the outside line and fall behind me. I take another SR down in the tunnel thanks to the stupid bump draft, but I hold on to take my win.

7KDWyeR.jpg
XsfRvVq.jpg

I lost even more SR, but the win and the SF19 Toyota I got from the midnight daily workout made up for it.

Final Points Tally

5cZYddE.jpg
x71kSav.jpg

I started my rookie season at low B/high C DR and finished as a mid/high B. I'm pretty happy with my Nations points, but my lack of points in Manufacturers reflect my hatred for the Alfa Gr.4 after the May nerf. I'm considering another MR manufacturer like Honda or Citroen for next season, as I want something resembling the good rotation and stability of the Alfa Gr.3.

I entered the Red Bull Competition race at Sardegna 'cold' without any studying up on strategy or anything, other than having run some FP laps earlier in the week to get a feel for the car. While I was racing, I wondered if the 3-stop would work better, and at one time, after my final pit stop for M's, I had a 'free' stop in hand with 10+ sec lead over the cars behind me... so I'm thinking it would have been optimal to have planned on the 3 stops, and that I might have had a chance at one more position than I finished with. I have no idea what people were finding to be the case, it was interesting to run the race without any of that info beforehand or after!

Last edited:
I set a target of 100 points per counting race ahead of the season and am delighted to report that I exceeded this in both competitions - despite penalty trolls giving me a DR reset on August 1st (hence its crap state, just ignore)

Screenshot_20200810-194159_Fennec F-Droid_1edit_11.jpg Screenshot_20200810-194212_Fennec F-Droid_1edit_11.jpg :cheers:

Now hoping for a decent finish to my Supra Cup efforts.

Manufacturer Round 30

I found out early on in stage 3 that the Ford GT held the record at Tokyo so I had practiced this race in private month or so in advance.... all that practice paid off when my FP time was the 14th fastest in NA @ 1:55.4xx going into the race so i knew i would be on my game.

Entered the first slot with high expectations and managed to botch my qualifying lap and started off 2nd between a couple of Supras. Immediately going into T1 I was ready to make a move for first headed into T2 but I misjudged the cold tires and went way too deep giving up a few positions at the dock yards and a 1 sec penalty for a love tap coming back onto the track. This set me back and made me work for it but I regained 1st after lap 5 and just started to really pull away from the field but my tire management was poor and I had misjudged the gap allowing the Supra who qualified pole back into it going into the final lap with my tires cooked compared to his.

The final lap was intense as I had to go on the defensive with the Supra flashing me at every turn although he never had a real run on me even though I was drifting some corners at this point and I was able to hang on to finish the season in victory lane with 196 points and called it a day one and done.

It was good to see fellow teammates in the lobby @Master Weasel & @TPC_hiortintexas as well as @wedjim in the Corvette.

Had a great finish to my season and I'll try and get a review of how well Ford Performed later on today. Ended up exceeding all of my expectations coming into this.

PS_Messages_20200808_172147.jpg

I entered the Red Bull Competition race at Sardegna 'cold' without any studying up on strategy or anything, other than having run some FP laps earlier in the week to get a feel for the car. While I was racing, I wondered if the 3-stop would work better, and at one time, after my final pit stop for M's, I had a 'free' stop in hand with 10+ sec lead over the cars behind me... so I'm thinking it would have been optimal to have planned on the 3 stops, and that I might have had a chance at one more position than I finished with. I have no idea what people were finding to be the case, it was interesting to run the race without any of that info beforehand or after!

I didn't have any prior experience with the X2019 car so I did a lot of practice for this race. The 3-stop was definitely the best for me. I struggled to handle the car on the hard tires, but the mediums weren't too much worse than softs for me. So I settled on a strategy of 9M, 1H (and fuel that would finish the race), 7S, 6S. I qualified 9th and finished 4th, so I was pleased with how this turned out. I used the mediums in the beginning when the cars were still bunched up and banging each other around, while the vast majority of the 13 soft laps at the end were with no traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back