FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I definitely know that this wasn't my track/group combo. Is participation down, or did a ton of people not participate in this race today? I was thrown into a 243 point lobby as Door #20 with @Geauxgreddy , @Winnie847 , and @Granadier , and some other regulars I haven't seen in a while since they've become A+, and was completely outclassed by everyone lol.

Qualified 19th, finished 20th. Could've gotten maybe 18th at best. Not much happened for me other than a few mistakes costing me a ton of time, and this person who decided that getting a penalty for turning into me was my fault (literally their justification for ramming me was "You gave me a penalty" when in reality they're just a graduate of the Stevie Wonder School of Racing):

From the post-race chat looks like there was quite a bit of bad blood throughout. Lost 1300 DR from this race, so definitely not going again. I doubt I lost enough DR to not be placed in a race too high for my skill level.

Well, that was....not good??? Q19, finished P14, no mistakes, clean race bonus, 2 nice overtakes and all. Lost 600 DR points :confused::confused::confused:
Most drivers were B like me, we had maybe 4 C drivers that qualified pretty well. I just don't understand what happened DR-wise.

I did too many laps on M tires in retrospect, could've done 2 less but it's alright. All these FIA Races have been a blast!

Well, that was....not good??? Q19, finished P14, no mistakes, clean race bonus, 2 nice overtakes and all. Lost 600 DR points :confused::confused::confused:
Most drivers were B like me, we had maybe 4 C drivers that qualified pretty well. I just don't understand what happened DR-wise.

I did too many laps on M tires in retrospect, could've done 2 less but it's alright. All these FIA Races have been a blast!

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you finish above the top half of the field, you gain DR. If you finish in the bottom half of the field, you lose DR. The amount of DR you gain or lose depends on the DR of the people you beat/the people who beat you.

One and done tonight!

I knew this was going to be a good combo for me - the TT is pretty much the META for it, even with the tires acting like the road is a cheese grater - but I didn't think it was going to be this good. I had to skip slot 1 as a crisis emerged right before the start but when I logged in for slot 2 I could tell that the work I put in the last few days was going to pay off.

Qualy didn't actually go all that great - I got held up quite a bit by traffic. I was hoping to actually use the slipstream for once and try to grab pole but everyone I got behind was substantially slower than I was. One guy even tried defending. :lol: I did end up P3, however, behind another TT and a guy in a Merc that I'm sure is either recovering from a DR reset or is in an alt account.

Being that I was starting from the front, I decided on a 6S/6S/1M/5S strat. Andr ight from the get go we jump out ahead of the pack. There must of have been some carnage behind us because by the end of L1 there's already a 3 sec gap between us and the field. I can tell that I'm actually faster than P2 and get around him L2. Then I run myself into the grass L3 and he gets a pretty good gap on me. He pits L5 and I regain P2.

There was a chase pack just close enough that I got mixed up with them after both my 1st and 3rd pit stops pushing me back to P3 again. But the strat paid off. By my final RS stint, the mid-field is pitting for their final stint and I catch up with the leaders. The Merc had binned it at some point so I know he's in striking distance if I can just get around the other TT. I lost track of his pit strat and am hoping that he still has to box for his RM stint by lap 15, so I use his slipstream to save some fuel and wait. Well, turns out I was wrong and he didn't have another pit to do. L16 I put the pressure on looking for an opportunity. I almost get past him in T3, then again in T4. I finally undercut him in T7 and pull away during the sweeping right-hander. I'm about 3 sec behind P1 and I can tell he's having a bit of tire trouble. I close in on him and cut his lead in half but can't get any closer. P2 will have to do! I also managed to get fastest lap, so there's that.

I'm quite happy with this one. It's not the strongest lobby I've ever been in but it is definitely decent for my DR. I don't know why the screenshot is saying 49 pts, I got 60 for it and about 1300 DR. Now I can go and try to figure out the next Nations.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200919172023.jpg

For the first slot, I was in the same lobby with @afc5150 and another TPC member whose name escapes me. Sorry. :lol:

I had door #20 and qualified 13th. Ended up finishing 10th for 111 points, and gained a tiny bit of DR. There was a sole FF car in the race, an Audi TT. They started on pole and won, unsurprisingly.

-------

In the second slot, I was in a lobby worth slightly more points. I qualified 12th this time. I went with the same pit strategy I used last race, 7S/7S/4M. Another TT and a Scirocco started in first and second, respectively.

On my first stint, I made a few passes and along with some drivers that went into the pits before me, I was in 6th by the time I went into the pits myself. I emerge still in 6th, and from there, no one was in my immediate vicinity. There was a McLaren driver that was following me, but they never got close enough to make any moves. On lap 10 however, I saw the Audi TT driver on the side of the road at the downhill chicane before the starting line. Looking at the replay, it seemed like they had some sort of technical issue as they plowed straight into the wall and just sat there, and they quit the race shortly after I passed them. A bizarre incident, but that gave me 5th place.

At the end of lap 12, I climbed up to 2nd after a few of the drivers ahead pitted and on lap 14, I let a Corvette driver that was gaining on me pass as my tires were quite worn out. There was no point in defending, especially since I was about to pit for the mediums. I did so and refueled and came out in 5th. On the final stint, I just had to keep a Viper that was behind me at bay for the rest of the race, which I managed to do.

full

The Scirocco driver won, although the Corvette from earlier was right behind them. So close to ending the FF dominance! But to my relief, all the drivers I encountered in the race were clean and respectful and I'm really grateful for that. :)

Well, more drama in tonight’s race. I should’ve gotten a better result, but people want to fight, push, punt, etc. Finished where I started at least.

Early on, the guy ahead of me was either making a lot of mistakes or saving too much fuel. The pack behind me got restless, pushed me into him once. I had to go, but we both lost way too much time fighting.

Later, I made a stupid mistake on new tires and allowed a slower Porsche driver to catch up. I thought I was racing him clean, but eventually he punted me while he was only half on the brakes, and he later claimed I brake checked him. Not sure how, because I actually braked too late and missed the apex. After he served his penalty he tried to push me off but missed.

Didn’t have time for more attempts so 203 points it is. Fun race, but a bit frustrating too.

Brutal, PD’s penalty system is B ROO TUL.

3 laps practice, never tried mediums, but logged into the 2nd race. Saw some drivers I know, door number 4. Qualified 11th, started on mediums, hoping for a 1m, 6s, 6s, 5s strategy. Car was a bit of a Handful on mediums, glad to get those off. Battled with some drivers way too much and lost time, every pit I came out behind 3 or 4 cars all battling lap after lap. One Ferrari couldn’t turn without sliding and basically drifted every turn, but the big fail was a Yellow Mercedes that had worn tires. Rather than lift to hold his line in the right hand sweeper he stayed in it and as he slid wide from my inside I braked, to avoid being collected, he touched my bumper as he crossed my path and gave me a 3 second penalty. Cost me 4 or 5 spots for a 12th place finish. 116 points.

...of course I broke my 1 and done rule, knowing I could do much better. I didn’t. Finished 15th in the second race for 112 points, it was worse.

Done for tonight.

Last edited:
Well, my race wasn't great, but I'll take it. Qualified 14th, finished 13th. Went 3m/5s/5s/5s. I can't do much with the tires in the Aston here. I think I'll try saving a race or 2 where another Aston is doing well, and see if I can figure out where I'm burning my tires up. Zll the dive bombing Audi's don't help, and my qualifying has been terrible. I'll have to try to get some more practice in next time. Got 71 points. Gotta break 100 next time.

After about 50 practice laps, I was unable to break a 2 minute lap. Feeling that was painful off pace after that many laps, and using my best judgement (and the 24 Hours of Le Mans on TV), I decided to sit this one out.

Being without the wheel for nearly a month really set me back. Any momentum I had going into the season was squashed.

Tonight I had a chance to hit last slot on the alt, lookin to rebuild after the sr debacle I’ve had lately on it.
I debated no qual or qual? (C b class lobby)
I figured the best bet was qual, and I started second, midway through lap one I took the lead, I’m thinking sweet, I will be bored but may be S by the time these 18 laps end.
Alas, my friends it was not to be. I got shoved and slowed by punt attempts, I was stilk ahead, but after getting banged in the last downhill chicane a guy was on me turn one.
I thought I took it decent but he got a run on exit coming up my left.
I hadn’t gotten any pen or sr down so I moved right extra to give the guy room.
Next thing I know my left rear quarter panel is straight CRUSHED OUTTA NOWHERE and I’m spinning around and, of course end up facing backwards not reset.
I mean I’ve driven dirty enough to know a hit and this guy crossed the track developed momentum and nailed me.
I’m going the wrong way, in last, take a pen for hitting the wall, considered a quit right there but pressed on...
I was 38 seconds back of the “guy” who did it. I hatched out a plan not to stop and catch him and make him pay. He putted twice to my once (I went s to s). I caught on lap fifteen and took his lead away in dirty fashion then slowed and took him out a couple times.
I would have done more but I sustained damage so I quit.
When I quit he was in I think seventh and had damage.
What do you expect at sr b?
It was like you know if youve ever watched gangster movies...There’s a certain moral code even amongst thugs. What this guy did broke the code.
All I gotta say is, if you initiate an unwarranted attack on another car maybe it would be a good idea to be faster than that car.
I was taken out, I caught up, and took him down.
I’m fastest chasing, more so when pissed.
Let that be a lesson to you, turd!

I Jumped into slot one tonight and found myself in a lobby that had me ranked LUCKY No.13! What....and I was on the 6 6 6 strategy. What could possibly go wrong? LOL. I was joined by GT Planet racers @Winnie847 , @Granadier , and @Razgriz2118 ....along with many many other familiar names. Unfortunately for me, I was joined by two more Sciroccos and an Audi TT. So, our lobby had a total of 4 FF cars. BLAST! My evil plan to dominate ended right there. LOL. I qualified in p2 with a 1:59.14x, only a tenth off the TT who took pole and not much further in front of p3 in another Scirocco. I was pushing on the car a bit too much instead of letting it float, and it showed up in the latter part of each stint. Tires tires tires. I also captured Winnie's incident after I saw it go down from behind. After the checkered flag dropped, I finished p3 and got 223 points. Happy with that, so I ducked out to let you FR drivers have some fun.

I Jumped into slot one tonight and found myself in a lobby that had me ranked LUCKY No.13! What....and I was on the 6 6 6 strategy. What could possibly go wrong? LOL. I was joined by GT Planet racers @Winnie847 , @Granadier , and @Razgriz2118 ....along with many many other familiar names. Unfortunately for me, I was joined by two more Sciroccos and an Audi TT. So, our lobby had a total of 4 FF cars. BLAST! My evil plan to dominate ended right there. LOL. I qualified in p2 with a 1:59.14x, only a tenth off the TT who took pole and not much further in front of p3 in another Scirocco. I was pushing on the car a bit too much instead of letting it float, and it showed up in the latter part of each stint. Tires tires tires. I also captured Winnie's incident after I saw it go down from behind. After the checkered flag dropped, I finished p3 and got 223 points. Happy with that, so I ducked out to let you FR drivers have some fun.

Great video man, always a pleasure racing with you. "Work smarter not harder" is a great philosophy that I wish the people I raced against last night also subscribed to. I knew you guys would break away early on, but after a few laps I was typically able to close the gap to the FF runners on laps 4-6 in my Hyundai. The guy ahead of me on the first stint wasn't really on the same page and wanted to fight...which is his right to do so, it's just not the smartest choice in a strategy race. The other guy on my 2nd stint, there's really no excuse for. He's a rager I've had issues with before. He literally cost us both the chance at a better result by fighting me aggressively and then punting me, which allowed one of the guys who caused an incident on the first stint to get by and finish P4 when he really had no business being there if we had all raced smarter. I'm glad it worked out for you but I was really hoping for the chance to fight you for P3. Congrats!

Great video man, always a pleasure racing with you. "Work smarter not harder" is a great philosophy that I wish the people I raced against last night also subscribed to. I knew you guys would break away early on, but after a few laps I was typically able to close the gap to the FF runners on laps 4-6 in my Hyundai. The guy ahead of me on the first stint wasn't really on the same page and wanted to fight...which is his right to do so, it's just not the smartest choice in a strategy race. The other guy on my 2nd stint, there's really no excuse for. He's a rager I've had issues with before. He literally cost us both the chance at a better result by fighting me aggressively and then punting me, which allowed one of the guys who caused an incident on the first stint to get by and finish P4 when he really had no business being there if we had all raced smarter. I'm glad it worked out for you but I was really hoping for the chance to fight you for P3. Congrats!

You are 100% correct. If he hadn't battled you there is no doubt y'all would've been on my rear bumper at the end. I was really losing time on those mediums. Anyway, enjoyed racing with you. Look forward the the next one.

Great video as always. During qualifying I managed to slot in right behind you after a big group of cars started playing slipstream chicken and was pumped to get the slip of an FF to help my slow ass pace. Then the Ferrari understeered right off the track through that big sweeping left hander. For an MR car it sure likes to plow.

What a frustrating evening. First race actually went well. Qualied 3rd and finished there. Gained some much needed DR. Went again because I wanted more than 180 points. Got put into top split with 43k dr for some reason... Finished 2nd to last. Lost everything I gained in the first race so went again! DC'd after 5 laps, lost for dr and sr (lost from 2 small rear taps). Looked like 4 others got dc'd from that race. So went for the 4th slot. Dc'd in the lobby. And that's all she wrote. Zero fun was had last night.

What a frustrating evening. First race actually went well. Qualied 3rd and finished there. Gained some much needed DR. Went again because I wanted more than 180 points. Got put into top split with 43k dr for some reason... Finished 2nd to last. Lost everything I gained in the first race so went again! DC'd after 5 laps, lost for dr and sr (lost from 2 small rear taps). Looked like 4 others got dc'd from that race. So went for the 4th slot. Dc'd in the lobby. And that's all she wrote. Zero fun was had last night.
I think you were in my top split race with Grove and Windfire; Merc driver right? Your connection was pretty bad throughout the race from my view. Causing our places to jump back and forth, and at one point your car was even stopped on the side of the track and then it teleported back to in front of us. Seemed like things were going well again before you spun. Sorry to hear.

Well, this has been quite a topsy-turvey week of racing for me.

Nations Round 4, Time Slot 1 and 2

This combo was so chaotic, I had to make a commentated highlights video of the two races I participated in.

Some timecodes to help you navigate the video:
1st race start: 0:42
1st race T1 incidents/crashes replay analysis: 2:01
Only real action of 1st race: 5:51
2nd race start: 9:53
2nd race T1 incident replay analysis: 10:28
Ramming shenanigans:14:18

In short, Race 1 was with @Granadier , @sk1719 , and some other regulars I've raced with before. I turn into @Granadier into La Source after the start and spin myself, causing one incident, while another driver goes too deep into La Source at the start and punts a few people. That incident causes another crash as the punted person tries to get back on track, and the person who went too deep slows to the side to let people pass, except they ricochet off the 2nd pit entrance and some more crashes happen. Around six people have penalties to serve on Lap 1. After that my race wasn't too exciting. I fell back to P19 and recovered to P13 on a two-stop.

Race 2 was with @Geauxgreddy , @csmirnoff , and a few other regulars, including some people from the first race. This time, @Geauxgreddy , I, and another person are set to go into La Source 3-wide, but then someone divebombs up the inside and turns it into 4-wide completely unaware that we were already pretty wide through the corner already, shoving us all out, causing me and @Geauxgreddy to lose a ton of time as we get shoved off the track. I get a 4 second penalty and drop to last, and I decide to switch to the 3 stop since we were all stuck and fighting behind slower traffic. In the end, that paid off as I recovered back up to 7th place. There was some bad blood between two drivers that was an overarching battle all throughout the race.

Manufacturer's Round 4, Time Slot 1

Yeah, not much to say or show here. Got placed in a room with @Geauxgreddy , @Granadier , and @Winnie847 , and I was completely outclassed. I qualified 19th and finished in 20th. I accidentally spun myself once, accidentally went way-too hot into a corner once when drafting a Porsche, and got rammed off by an oblivious Karen-type who thinks everything is someone else's fault, which I posted a video of earlier. But despite these incidents, realistically I was fighting for 18th at best. So, one-and-done with this combo, it definitely wasn't a good one for me.

That race :lol::lol::lol:

Great synopsis video @Razgriz2118. Looking at it from multiple angles I can see how early my braking was into Le Source. Intentional to try and avoid the mob chaos ahead, but unfortunately opened the door to littlenew to dive on the inside which triggered the next cluster. Maybe people should avoid that tempting dive bomb on lap 1 no matter how open it may look :lol: In my opinion it wasn't really your fault since the line you took would've given me plenty of room if I didn't have another Viper shoving me wide from the inside.

That race :lol::lol::lol:

Great synopsis video @Razgriz2118. Looking at it from multiple angles I can see how early my braking was into Le Source. Intentional to try and avoid the mob chaos ahead, but unfortunately opened the door to littlenew to dive on the inside which triggered the next cluster. Maybe people should avoid that tempting dive bomb on lap 1 no matter how open it may look :lol: In my opinion it wasn't really your fault since the line you took would've given me plenty of room if I didn't have another Viper shoving me wide from the inside.

Thanks! Yeah, I was surprised at how early you braked, but at the same time, I understand why. These sharp T1s are always a gamble about how to approach them lol because of the dive bombers. And that's fair, when I spun around I was caught completely off guard because I thought I gave you enough space, but now that you mention the divebomb on your inside it makes more sense now why we touched.

This combo was so chaotic, I had to make a commentated highlights video of the two races I participated in.

In short, Race 1 was with @Granadier , @sk1719 , and some other regulars I've raced with before. I turn into @Granadier into La Source after the start and spin myself, causing one incident, while another driver goes too deep into La Source at the start and punts a few people. That incident causes another crash as the punted person tries to get back on track, and the person who went too deep slows to the side to let people pass, except they ricochet off the 2nd pit entrance and some more crashes happen. Around six people have penalties to serve on Lap 1. After that my race wasn't too exciting. I fell back to P19 and recovered to P13 on a two-stop.

Race 2 was with @Geauxgreddy , @csmirnoff , and a few other regulars, including some people from the first race. This time, @Geauxgreddy , I, and another person are set to go into La Source 3-wide, but then someone divebombs up the inside and turns it into 4-wide completely unaware that we were already pretty wide through the corner already, shoving us all out, causing me and @Geauxgreddy to lose a ton of time as we get shoved off the track. I get a 4 second penalty and drop to last, and I decide to switch to the 3 stop since we were all stuck and fighting behind slower traffic. In the end, that paid off as I recovered back up to 7th place. There was some bad blood between two drivers that was an overarching battle all throughout the race.

Yeah, not much to say or show here. Got placed in a room with @Geauxgreddy , @Granadier , and @Winnie847 , and I was completely outclassed. I qualified 19th and finished in 20th. I accidentally spun myself once, accidentally went way-too hot into a corner once when drafting a Porsche, and got rammed off by an oblivious Karen-type who thinks everything is someone else's fault, which I posted a video of earlier. But despite these incidents, realistically I was fighting for 18th at best. So, one-and-done with this combo, it definitely wasn't a good one for me.

I haven't seen any of your stuff before but that was a really well edited entertaining video. I had to laugh at the first race with the amount of chaos caused by drivers slowing down to give positions back :lol:

Great races and congratulations on the result 👍

Wondering which car to go for in the next Nations race. I’ve never used the M4 before but it dominates the top 10 EMEA free practice times. I had a go and quite liked it but then set a slightly faster time in the Lexus. I’ve used the Lexus here and there so maybe it’s just down to familiarity.

Maybe the BMW is expected to be better on its tyres or something.

Late with this but my first race, I was in the race with @Rexracer702 and @afc5150.

I qualified 3rd which its no surprise since I like this track and I’m in the Scirocco.

Well it started in a disaster on lap 1. P4 missed his braking at T5 and punts me off. No penalty for the guy. I fell back to 9th.

Later, someone turned into me, their fault but the game said otherwise. 1 second penalty. I was already heated from the punt and that just made me hotter! I finished the race 5th. The one that hit me stole my spot at 3rd.

I didn’t wanna end it there so I ran again. I qualified and finished 2nd. A better race.

That 1st race, oh my... LMAO. What a catastrophe. Very very smart pit move in race 2. I'm kicking myself for not doing the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back