FIA Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 24,947 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
5837311703472178692_0.jpg

I'm staying with Aston Martin this time, I suspect they're not the best choice overall for these particular races but I love the way both cars drive!
I hope you all have a good season!

Very cool set of races for Nations. The only red flag is probably SF @ Bathurst. It's basically holding station until the straight, and then spam the overtake button and hope the other guy doesn't block you.

Manu looks to be the best season I've ever seen in terms of track variation. High speed, technical, high/low fuel - it's all in there. Tyre wear looks to have gone up again tho :grumpy:

Also big 👍 to shorter quali session.

Still no bump-drafting then...
Well at least they apparently figured out which party is usually responsible for those collisions.

With the softer collision physics introduced a few updates ago, slingshotting is faster than bump drafting now. And I think they're going to turn off the penalty system for the SSRX race like last time. BMB...that one's gonna be carnage.

Watch out for door to door contact in corners too. If you're on the outside and the guy inside understeers into you, you will get a penalty.

Can't believe PD haven't fixed this. Some things never change I guess.

With the softer collision physics introduced a few updates ago, slingshotting is faster than bump drafting now. And I think they're going to turn off the penalty system for the SSRX race like last time. BMB...that one's gonna be carnage.
If the pictures are 100% accurate, all of the races have 'Real" slipstream strength, which means it won't kick in until 0.8s behind the other car. That's probably not enough of a gap to try to slingshot. Also, in the Daily Race at SSRX, they didn't turn off the penalties, so that could go either way.

If the pictures are 100% accurate, all of the races have 'Real" slipstream strength, which means it won't kick in until 0.8s behind the other car. That's probably not enough of a gap to try to slingshot. Also, in the Daily Race at SSRX, they didn't turn off the penalties, so that could go either way.

Yeah, you're right. I should've checked the race details page before. Hopefully this means less carnage, because of smaller speed differences between the leading and slipstreaming cars.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/au/gtsport/sportmode/championship/2657/round/6

Gonna call it: people in higher splits will park it near the final corner and fight to not be the lead car of the slipstream train.

I'm normally in second split and people are still doing this. Usually they mess up the timing the first attempt tho. I can't be bothered hunting for slip so I always leave the pits 1 minute later, and my first lap is usually in the top 10. Then on second attempt everyone learns to space out, get the perfect slip and I drop back. Having shorter quali means less chances to get the slip right, so I think it's still beneficial to us non-slip hunters.

I kinda like qualifying out of position though - you make up more places in the race and it feels better :lol:

I'm in fairly low splits, but I never bother with slipstream. The time I make up on the fast sections is lost in the slow parts having to back off because people ahead can't drive a clean line.

It's faster to go it alone for me.

IMO, unless you know the person in front of you knows what they're doing, it's faster/better to go at it alone. Last season, I made a point of learning how to qualy using the slipstream and it was a mess. There was maybe 2-3 times it was beneficial to me. Every other time I was slamming the anchors at some point to not hit someone doing something weird, getting blocked trying to overtake someone who was clearly slower and a few times hitting someone in a corner or chicane because they'd slow way down for it.

In another 20 years or so, when I finally do make it to top split, I'll worry about qualifying with the slipstream again.

Going to try Honda this season and see how well I can do in the EMEA region. Again for this season the "home" NA region's races don't start here until early morning so the primary account will be for puttering around and the alternate will do all the heavy racing. Worked out good for me last season so should work out good this go around as well.

Practice showing good handling so far but Honda's are lacking in top end. I could have sworn an old lady in a walker passed me during one of the practice sessions at Red Bull.

20_21 Manu Round 2.jpg

Practice for round 1 shows RMs dropping off around lap 15 and fuel lasts until lap 22. A little fuel saving and shouldn't need any at all (saving me precious pit time). Running practices at 15 RM/8 RS is putting my average laps at 0.56 which is good enough for me.

Enjoy your preparations and have fun on Wednesday when the season starts!

Last season, I made a point of learning how to qualy using the slipstream and it was a mess. There was maybe 2-3 times it was beneficial to me. Every other time I was slamming the anchors at some point to not hit someone doing something weird, getting blocked trying to overtake someone who was clearly slower and a few times hitting someone in a corner or chicane because they'd slow way down for it.

Same here. After about my 2nd or 3rd FIA I realized just wait in the pits until you’re half a lap from all cars then try to get one clean lap alone.

Yeah, noticed I wasn't much slower on the RMs at RBR. Was thinking to just use the those as well. 86 should be good with its tyres. I'll do my normal qualy on those, to see my pace versus everyone else. As a side, players should be forced to use the compound they set their fastest on. When people set a time and then, switch to a slower tyre at race start, those on a faster tyre either get impatient or the person on the slower tyre tries to keep pace and makes mistakes. That slows everyone else.

Anyway, surprised I haven't seen any Toyotas in the top 10. I'm .3 off the #1 time. I'm toast on back straight through the PZ. All my time is made up through the first ess and the final two turns. Amazing speed. In race conditions, I'll probably be in good shape.

I'm normally in second split and people are still doing this. Usually they mess up the timing the first attempt tho. I can't be bothered hunting for slip so I always leave the pits 1 minute later, and my first lap is usually in the top 10. Then on second attempt everyone learns to space out, get the perfect slip and I drop back. Having shorter quali means less chances to get the slip right, so I think it's still beneficial to us non-slip hunters.

I kinda like qualifying out of position though - you make up more places in the race and it feels better :lol:
Still not much of an option for those who need the slip haha. Ugh. I'm not gonna have fun.
It's going to be toxic on the Monza and BMB rounds for Manu. For Nations.. I'll be surprised if someone goes for the slip for the SF at Panorama. The dirty air on the mountain will be a huge yikes.

I'm in fairly low splits, but I never bother with slipstream. The time I make up on the fast sections is lost in the slow parts having to back off because people ahead can't drive a clean line.

It's faster to go it alone for me.
Under slip, I usually start slowing down too early, in fear of punting the car ahead. Doesn't help me at all during quali.

E: Spelling. I swear, I was not drunk.

Last edited:
I’ve rolled an actual digital dice and landed on Mercedes for the upcoming exhibition season, do any Merc drivers have any tips?
Have done some light practice at RBR Short with the GT4 and it’s easy enough to drive so I’m hopeful for some good results in the next 8 races.

Looking at Nations, I can’t drive Bathurst competently at all so I might have to have a decent bit of practice in prep for that!

Hope everyone is looking forward to the next month or two of racing. What does everyone think of their chances?

OK, pretty much done testing and I've decided on my strategy for Wednesday. The race is an easy no-stopper in the Lexus, without conserving fuel at all I do all 23 laps with an estimated 5 laps left in the tank so there's a wide margin there. The RMs hold up for all 23 laps as well, although they started to show their wear around lap 19-20 or so and the lap times were dropping for the final three laps.

I ran the first 12 laps with my standard BB setting until I noticed that the fronts were wearing out much quicker than the rears, so I shifted the BB all the way back to +5 to even the wear out and it helped a lot. If I run BB+5 the entire race, I think the lap times might not degrade as much towards the end. It wasn't a massive difference anyway, and the car was perfectly fine to drive the whole time.

FL on mediums was a 53.7xx, my FL on softs is a 53.3xx so far. Will keep running practice stints on the softs to see if I can find more time on them, but unless I find like 1.5-2 seconds per lap it's just not going to be worth it considering the mediums are mandatory and how quickly the softs degrade. I could maybe get 12 laps out of the softs at most, so even with a 1 sec per lap advantage that barely makes up for the pit loss.

I just had a brief look at the regulations and noticed that for some reason players from Arizona and Quebec seem to be excluded from taking part. Why is this?

edit: Also I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out but the SSRX race has BoP turned off and adjustable settings. I've spent some time on that track in the past and noticed players with their GT-Rs having a weird kind of suspension setup where the front of the car is really high up and the rear very low down. I guess that's supposed to help with speed? :confused:

screenshot.png

Last edited:
I just had a brief look at the regulations and noticed that for some reason players from Arizona and Quebec seem to be excluded from taking part. Why is this?

edit: Also I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out but the SSRX race has BoP turned off and adjustable settings. I've spent some time on that track in the past and noticed players with their GT-Rs having a weird kind of suspension setup where the front of the car is really high up and the rear very low down. I guess that's supposed to help with speed? :confused:

View attachment 973292
I think it means that PD already changed the settings and that everything is locked in. It usually does.
Edit: the region's not being allowed is usually due to regional laws on participating in online competition

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back