FORMULA 1 Emirats grosser preis von Deutschland 2018Formula 1 

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 350 comments
Was a great spot by the safety car driver to see the Toro Rosso that day.
Seeing this car vs crane contact after Bianchi's accident gives it a less entertaining touch.

Edit: and Brundle's comment: "You do not want to be going underneath one of those diggers" o_O
There are reasons to be angry here.

Last edited:
He ran wide at the fast right going into the stadium so I assume he got told after then. I never suggested that, my question was aimed at the people disagreeing with Mercedes' team orders.
Not sure when precisely was the order issued, on replay they aligned it with them going side by side and then Lewis pulling a massive gap on exit. I guess with fresh Ultras he could have another go.

Does anyone seriously think Bottas had the pace to overtake Hamilton? As soon as Lewis got his tyres up to temp and as soon as they hit the stadium section that 1s gap was created. There were a few laps where it looked like Bottas struggled to gap Raikkonen.

Great drive from Hamilton. Terrible mistake from Vettel. Game on for the championship where in my opinion Ferrari now has the faster car. Will be interesting to see if the predictions of Ferrari being quicker on the tracks in the later part of season come to fruition this year.

I don’t think so, but he lost .9 in the 3rd sector which seemed to be after he got the message.

I think that Lewis would have pulled away, but it would have been more touch and go with Kimi lurking

Seeing this car vs crane contact after Bianchi's accident gives it a less entertaining touch.

Edit: and Brundle's comment: "You do not want to be going underneath one of those diggers" o_O
What happened there? Must have missed it

This season has been insane so far, and in so many countries in Europe it’s locked behind a paywall.

Such a shame. I remember when the BBC broadcast full races live for a whole season, I had friends and family (who follow watch f1 at all) texting me about how crazy some of the races where...

This season has been insane so far, and in so many countries in Europe it’s locked behind a paywall.

Such a shame. I remember when the BBC broadcast full races live for a whole season, I had friends and family (who follow watch f1 at all) texting me about how crazy some of the races where...

I watched it on Sky Sports Mobile today with my free subscription which expires soon because other I would have had to avoid all social media until gone 9 pm tonight after I get back from work, next year is gonna be a nightmare for this.

I watched it on Sky Sports Mobile today with my free subscription which expires soon because other I would have had to avoid all social media until gone 9 pm tonight after I get back from work, next year is gonna be a nightmare for this.
I understand you can proxy an F1 subscription, but no one who isn’t invested in the sport is going to do that. It’s such a shame so many people won’t get exposed to how brilliant this season is.

Ferrari have the best car but in Italy it’s locked behind Sky. The U.K. has a 4x champion fighting for his 5th title, and again it’s locked behind Sky...

adb
What happened there? Must have missed it
In the following video, we see a Toro Rosso nearly hit the Safety Car, then ending hitting one of the cranes already out as cars keeps coming in the gravel. The drivers were rightly staying in their car, but the presence of the cranes annihilate most of F1 passive safety capabilities.

Is it just me or are both Hamilton and Mercedes hated all around?? Lots of comments on twitter and seeing even some on here doesn't give them any credits at all. I get the hate but come one...give credits where credits are due :odd:...IMO, that was a really great drive from Lewis today. This circuit is not particularly power heavy so it wasn't anything like Silverstone where some people were literally waving him to pass. He managed his tires really well, still managing to keep up the pace with the front runners with over 40 laps on those tires and didn't make any mistakes. I think even without the rain that created so much chaos, he probably would have challenged Vettel for the win anyway with his strategy.

In the case of team orders, while I don't support them, I can understand why Mercedes would do it in this situation and I think it was a good call on their end. On the same token, Ferrari should not have waited that long to give those orders to Kimi. As for Bottas, I think even without the orders, looking at Lewis' pace toward the end and with Bottas on much fresher tires, he couldn't even keep up so I really doubt he would have been able to win this Grand Prix.

In the case of team orders, while I don't support them, I can understand why Mercedes would do it in this situation and I think it was a good call on their end.
Exactly. They invest hundreds of millions a year into the sport and I think they gave Bottas a chance to win on the restart. Then the message was given. They could have easily done it under SC.

In the following video, we see a Toro Rosso nearly hit the Safety Car, then ending hitting one of the cranes already out as cars keeps coming in the gravel. The drivers were rightly staying in their car, but the presence of the cranes annihilate most of F1 passive safety capabilities.
Oh, ok, missed that post, thought it was about today

Hamilton has been called to the stewards to explain a move from the pit entry lane back onto the race track when he bailed out of pitting under the safety car...

Hamilton has been called to the stewards to explain a move from the pit entry lane back onto the race track when he bailed out of pitting under the safety car...
The commentators on Sky didn't seem to think there was any regulation that would be broken by Hamilton's move - does anyone know if there is? (I'm guessing we'll find out soon enough anyway).

-

Vettel's crash showed how tricky the conditions were and he was very unlucky to go off like that - but Mercedes made a brilliant call and put him under a lot of pressure - it would have been touch and go for a Vettel win even if he hadn't rearranged the scenery. However, the reaction of some of the fans in the crowd (the camera showed some fans celebrating, albeit they appeared to be Red Bull fans!) was utterly disgraceful - I hope they have the decency to watch the replays and feel totally ashamed of themselves.

Meanwhile, Hamilton has shown something indistinguishable from greatness in the last two races (no, not his hair!)... 43 points after being taken out in Silverstone and starting 14th in Hockenheim is truly remarkable, even by his own high standards. I just hope Vettel can recover quickly and continue to pile on the pressure, and not fade away like he did last season, as it could be one of the great seasons if they can both keep it together until the sharp end of the year.

Is it just me or are both Hamilton and Mercedes hated all around?? Lots of comments on twitter and seeing even some on here doesn't give them any credits at all. I get the hate but come one...give credits where credits are due :odd:...IMO, that was a really great drive from Lewis today. This circuit is not particularly power heavy so it wasn't anything like Silverstone where some people were literally waving him to pass. He managed his tires really well, still managing to keep up the pace with the front runners with over 40 laps on those tires and didn't make any mistakes. I think even without the rain that created so much chaos, he probably would have challenged Vettel for the win anyway with his strategy.

In the case of team orders, while I don't support them, I can understand why Mercedes would do it in this situation and I think it was a good call on their end. On the same token, Ferrari should not have waited that long to give those orders to Kimi. As for Bottas, I think even without the orders, looking at Lewis' pace toward the end and with Bottas on much fresher tires, he couldn't even keep up so I really doubt he would have been able to win this Grand Prix.

I guess "the hate" comes from the extreme arrogance that Hamilton puts on display, and his team boss does a great job on being second best arrogant in the team. Remember "the hunger" interview when he gave the reasons why he would win against Nico Rosberg? This hunger came from someone who dates Pussycat members, swims in money and records his own music in a state of the art home studio..? The Mercedes team and Hamilton seems so entitled to winning that it is natural to want to see them fail. The only seem likeable and approachable when the PR team has done their job..

Now that being said, i think that Hamilton has issues, not surprising since he hardly had any chance to live anything close to a normal life. And i am pretty certain that somewhere in there behind his defensive arrogance is a guy that can be a cool guy... The difference to Rosberg is spectacular, Rosberg does commentary with the german tv station RTL, he is relaxed and a cool dude, totally in balance with himself, today he met Hamilton, but Hamilton didn't "see him". He ignored him and looked the other way and try to avoid him :)

EDIT:

FIA International Sporting Code states: "Except in cases of force majeure (accepted as such by the stewards), the crossing, in any direction, of the line separating the pit entry and the track by a car entering the pit lane is prohibited."

From the Race Director Event Notes: 8.2 For safety reasons drivers must stay to the right of the bollard at the pit entry when entering the pits.

And from the F1 Safety Regulations: 39.5 No car may be driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers or any other person at any time whilst the safety car is deployed. This will apply whether any such car is being driven on the track, the pit entry or the pit lane.

FIA International Sporting Code states: "Except in cases of force majeure (accepted as such by the stewards), the crossing, in any direction, of the line separating the pit entry and the track by a car entering the pit lane is prohibited."
Breaking News: Mercedes have just changed their official team name to 'Force Majeure'...

This pit entry issue should have been addressed immediately. It will be a nightmare now if they give out a penalty that revokes a win after the podium and everything else.

But I guess this sort of thing has happened before. Didn't a P2 team lose their Le Mans win, or was that just a podium? That race feels forever ago due to the last couple months I've had.

Another unsurprisingly Blehh Mclaren day....

Hulkenberg still the best "of the rest". Pity Vettel threw away the race, I guess if he had inters in that moment he would have gotten away with it.

I couldn't understand Cyril from Renault at all today. Between his accent and the lower quality radio transmission (compared to the Red Bull transmissions), it was all a bunch of muddy audio.

This pit entry issue should have been addressed immediately. It will be a nightmare now if they give out a penalty that revokes a win after the podium and everything else.

But I guess this sort of thing has happened before. Didn't a P2 team lose their Le Mans win, or was that just a podium? That race feels forever ago due to the last couple months I've had.

I think they had plenty going on during the race, the interesting bit is that a penalty after the race is likely to have less impact than during the race?

He would have lost 20-30 seconds on a stop and go penalty, and around 20 seconds if he had taken on new tires..

Does anyone know the outcome of this? Haven't seen any news, or mention of it so far on twitter or FB.
I'm guessing he got off with a slap on the wrist and some stern words.

They had plenty of time to immediately give Sainz a penalty for overtaking during the SC, and Hamilton's improper pit entry abort was done before that.

Brundle himself has had a very near miss in such a situation, that's one of the reasons he's always been so passionate about the subject even back when he was a driver.

Their excuse was that it was under the Safety Car....

REALLY?! :censored:ING REALLY?!

There's a bit more to it than that but I think the reprimand is fair - in racing conditions it would certainly have merited a time penalty.

Back