Garage data transfer GT5 to 6

• Thread starter Jarnac
  • 303 comments

Do you want to transfer your GT5 garage to GT6?

• Yes

Votes: 179 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 213 48.1%
  • whatever

Votes: 51 11.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
With current Arcade Mode, that would be pointless. If there is a new Arcade Mode that lets you create with precise detail any race you want, tune and paint cars, and also lets you go online, then that would be OK.

hmm, transferring would be nice, but as many people have stated, would make starting the game very boring and too easy, so perhaps the option to only be able to transfer cars after beating the game would be good, or even keep them on 2 separate saves

hmm, transferring would be nice, but as many people have stated, would make starting the game very boring and too easy

Well people say that, but it doesn't make them right. There's nothing wrong with letting people choose.

hmm, transferring would be nice, but as many people have stated, would make starting the game very boring and too easy, so perhaps the option to only be able to transfer cars after beating the game would be good, or even keep them on 2 separate saves

Just don't use it.

I still can't work out what is making it EASY. Quicker, absolutely, but easier, I don't see how.

In GT5 every car can be purchased, you just need money and a level. The first few races of A-Spec are extremely easy, as are actually a lot of it. You can use a car much more powerful to win if you so desire. That is making the races easier but I don't see how having all of the cars inherintly makes anyhing easier. All it does is save you time grinding out money to buy them. That doesn't take skill, it takes only time. Time I've already spent doing it in GT5.

So again, someone who claims it does, explain to me how having all of the cars makes the game easier rather than simply making it take less time, which isn't the same thing.

Here's the thing. Some of us have lives and work which takes up all of our time leaving very little to play GT. We NEED the ability to transfer our garage as we don't have the luxury of endless free time to grind away in the game.

Myself, I play 1-2 times a week. 1 night is for a league race, and I'm lucky to get 1 other night to test for that race. Apart from that I have no time to play and buy cars etc.

Those of you who think it makes the game "easier" are just being silly, and you are free to not use the feature. I and many others are more interested in racing online or just testing cars.......we have no interest in doing the games races etc. I have done maybe 3. Other than that I do seasonals to make money and the rest of my time is racing online. I have zero interest in racing against the games horrible AI (that goes for every racing game not just GT5).

And yes there is a right way to play, all games have rules and all games are meant to be played in some manner that is determined by the design of the game. If the player wants to play it differently as in getting all the rewards for free then that is the players problem not a problem with the game.

False.

Ever heard of "sand box" games? If I want to do story mode in Grand Theft Auto, I can. If I want to just play online or create havoc in the city then that's my choice. And the game developers did that on purpose, YOU the gamer choose how you want to experience the game.

With GT I only do seasonals to get money, then I race online. I have no interest in the rest of the game, it is beyond boring. What you find fun( based on your posts) I find sleep inducing. Why should I be forced to play the way YOU think I should? What's fun for you isn't fun for others. It's really a silly argument.

You think it would ruin the game, and you give reasons. But those reasons only apply to you and how you think the game should be played. Makes absolutely no sense.

You said yourself you made a double post, then you went and triple posted 👍

Edit: As for my opinion on this, I understand some people just wanna get the game and drive. But wasn't that the point of the recommended garage in 5? A mixed selection of cars always available in modes outside of the "career" mode.

I would be happy to see a similar feature again. For me, imported garages would kinda ruin the GT mode experience. I know GT5 is now a grind fest, but I've always had fun building my garage up (never sell cars for credits!) and that would be totally lost if you could just import all your vehicles.

Also, then we wouldn't have to start the game on the Mazda MX5 and that wouldn't be correct, right?

You said yourself you made a double post, then you went and triple posted 👍

Edit: As for my opinion on this, I understand some people just wanna get the game and drive. But wasn't that the point of the recommended garage in 5? A mixed selection of cars always available in modes outside of the "career" mode.

I would be happy to see a similar feature again. For me, imported garages would kinda ruin the GT mode experience. I know GT5 is now a grind fest, but I've always had fun building my garage up (never sell cars for credits!) and that would be totally lost if you could just import all your vehicles.

Also, then we wouldn't have to start the game on the Mazda MX5 and that wouldn't be correct, right?

Triple posted would imply I posted the same thing three times.. It was also a hour later when I saw I post I wanted to single out. Not really a triple post....... the third followed a different train of thought and was a response to someone.

In regards to your post and the "recommended garage". You couldn't tune these, so it's effectively useless.

Having the option to import garages has absolutely no effect to you or any of the others crying about it. Why do any of you care that we want to just continue driving but with better graphics/physics etc? Does it change you're experience or hinder it? No. Some of us have responsibilities in life and can't dedicate the time like others.....on top of which who actually enjoys grinding away at boring races?

Last edited:
Triple posted would imply I posted the same thing three times, this didn't happen. Triple post not found ;).

I think it's general courtesy, in terms of not wasting too many posts on a page, to not make simultaneous posts. If your's is still the most recent, you can just edit it and add your further comments, and it will still be the most recent thing people will read.

In regards to your post and the "recommended garage". You couldn't tune these, so it's effectively useless.

Having the option to import garages has absolutely no effect to you or any of the others crying about it. Why do any of you care that we want to just continue driving but with better graphics/physics etc? Does it change you're experience or hinder it? No. Some of us have responsibilities in life and can't dedicate the time like others.....on top of which who actually enjoys grinding away at boring races?

No, I concede, it doesn't effect me, point taken. Would be a feature one could choose not to use if they so wished. I'm not actually "crying" about anything, just stated my opinion on the matter, is that not the reason for the thread? Anyone who disagrees with your opinion is crying?

Some of us do have responsibilities in life. That's a totally irrelevant point.

Who enjoys grinding? Probably not many people, but consider it from a design point of view. Most games work using some form of progression system. You don't get thrown in at the deep end always, you work your way through the game. It might be simulation, but it's still a game, and therefore it works off of the same basic principles. Those of us who don't play a Gran Turismo game purely for the simulation, and play it for a fun game, would not benefit from this, and it would put PD in a sticky situation, where they have to design the progression through the game to work with the way credits and reward cars are handed out, but some people can just go in with an all powerful car from the off.

There were (and still are) alot of complaints that GT5's Aspec mode was very lacking, and I believe that with an import garage feature, people would just use it, trash all the aspec progression, then whine that Aspec was rubbish.

Maybe they could compromise? In Arcade/online lobbies, you could access your imported garage, but for Aspec/GT mode (or whatever it will be called) you have to start your game from scratch. I think that would be cool, and is that not how the GTPSP garage import was handled roughly?

It might be simulation, but it's still a game, and therefore it works off of the same basic principles.
Progression isn't part of games. It's included in some games, but is not and never was q requirement.

Those of us who don't play a Gran Turismo game purely for the simulation, and play it for a fun game, would not benefit from this
Thus it's the option that's being asked for. It would benefit me greatly if PD did not even bother with GT Mode. But I realize that some people want it, so I won't ask for it to be taken away.

and it would put PD in a sticky situation, where they have to design the progression through the game to work with the way credits and reward cars are handed out, but some people can just go in with an all powerful car from the off.
They don't have to do anything. The game will work the same no matter what's in your garage. GT doesn't suddenly become unplayable once all cars are obtained. It won't become unplayable because someone started with all cars.

There were (and still are) alot of complaints that GT5's Aspec mode was very lacking, and I believe that with an import garage feature, people would just use it, trash all the aspec progression, then whine that Aspec was rubbish.
Then A-Spec would indeed be rubbish. If the game isn't enjoyable because you have everything, the game is bad. Also there are clearly tons of people who play for A-Spec so it seems highly unlikely that what you're describing will happen. Instead it's more likely that importers will import, traditionalists will not, and not a second thought would go to importing.

Maybe they could compromise? In Arcade/online lobbies, you could access your imported garage, but for Aspec/GT mode (or whatever it will be called) you have to start your game from scratch. I think that would be cool, and is that not how the GTPSP garage import was handled roughly?

If people want a mode for unlocking things that fine. There should also be a mode for free play. Arcade Mode as it's been in every GT would not be it. GT needs a simulation mode, a mode that is built like a racing simulator where you get everything and can do whatever you want. It shouldn't have any relation to any previous GT play mode since this is something GT has never even attempted to get right.

Progression isn't part of games. It's included in some games, but is not and never was q requirement.[/QOUTE]

I never said it was a requirement, just that GT is still a game, and therefore still has game principles. If this wasn't the case, explain the level system in GT5. This is evidence that whilst GT doesn't necessarily follow many traditional features of a game, it does follow some. And that's not me defending it, I think the level system in GT5 is pretty bad, but it is just evidence that PD is still making a simulation game not just a simulator.

I never said having the feature in any way shape or form would be a terrible thing, just that you have to consider both sides of the argument.

I think it's general courtesy, in terms of not wasting too many posts on a page, to not make simultaneous posts. If your's is still the most recent, you can just edit it and add your further comments, and it will still be the most recent thing people will read.

Most forums it's fine provided it's a different train of thought and if it's not immediate. Say for instance I made a post regarding a simulator build, and my post was the last with a update. If I were to have a new update a week later and nobody else had posted, editing the post wouldn't bump the thread for the new update.

I was also responding from my phone, and didn't see that I was still the last to respond. I was on a prior page within the app and quoted him. I'm used to higher traffic forums where there would have been 20 posts in the hour between mine.

No, I concede, it doesn't effect me, point taken. Would be a feature one could choose not to use if they so wished. I'm not actually "crying" about anything, just stated my opinion on the matter, is that not the reason for the thread? Anyone who disagrees with your opinion is crying?

I never said you were crying, I said that others were crying. And if you are trying to prevent others from playing a game the way they wish to, because you have some self righteous poor reasoning for it..... then yes you are crying about something that has no effect on you. I have no interest in a car editor for crazy paint jobs or ricing a car out, but I'm not going to say that you or anyone else shouldn't be able to. If you want to make your car look ridiculous, go for it.

Some of us do have responsibilities in life. That's a totally irrelevant point.

Then you clearly missed the point. There are many college/younger guys on here, guys who have TONS of free time to build up huge garages and lots of $$. Then there are those of us who barely find any time at all to play. Forcing us to have to grind away for hours that we don't have, is pointless. It then reaches a point where we rarely ever play because its more work than play, which is counterproductive.

Who enjoys grinding? Probably not many people, but consider it from a design point of view. Most games work using some form of progression system. You don't get thrown in at the deep end always, you work your way through the game. It might be simulation, but it's still a game, and therefore it works off of the same basic principles. Those of us who don't play a Gran Turismo game purely for the simulation, and play it for a fun game, would not benefit from this, and it would put PD in a sticky situation, where they have to design the progression through the game to work with the way credits and reward cars are handed out, but some people can just go in with an all powerful car from the off.

Depends on the type of game really. And if you are given the option for the garage, it means you can also choose not to import it. The choice should be yours. Sticky situation not found, there is no need to design around this at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But with games like IRacing and RFactor, when the game receives a big update for graphics/tracks/cars, you still keep your garage.

This would be exactly like GT. The majority of people who buy GT6 will have owned GT5.... GT4... GT3..... GT2....GT1. We've done the grinding to death, heck I stopped completely after GT3 as it was a huge waste of my time. All I wanted to do was test cars at the Ring and race friends. I even have a few friends who have dropped GT specifically for this reason, they don't have the time to grind away. If there were a option to transfer your garage, they would still be playing GT5.

I think your jumping to assumptions a bit. For one, I never trash the A-Spec as I haven't even used it. I also almost never used it in GT4, so I couldn't tell you what the strengths/weakness about it either. Importing my garage wouldn't change that. And who cares if they whine about it, if you know A spec worked great on GT6 then you could blast them over it. But with the option to race REAL people online..... why does anyone waste time with A Spec?

I didn't play GTPSP so I can't comment on that. BUT, I actually would be completely fine with this compromise provided it allows them to be used in simulation mode just not A-Spec races. Those of us only interested in doing time attack or racing online get what we want and those who want to start from scratch get their cake. I would prefer you be able to do whatever you want, BUT if I needed to compromise then this would work.

My only addition would be that you are allowed to use the imported garage for seasonal events. Need to make money somehow. Oh and you should be able to transfer money as well (only used for online etc).... but if not we can just do a spending spree in GT5 prior to the import.

I never said having the feature in any way shape or form would be a terrible thing, just that you have to consider both sides of the argument.

One could argue that all of the grocery getters and minivans should be removed from the game. But that's a poor argument. They are already there, so why take them away? Same goes for this argument, it doesn't negatively effect anyone, so why is it a issue for them.

With some of us getting older, we will play less and less. Which means wasting time in A-Spec ruins the game for us. Giving the option to import makes the game work better for us, and has zero effect on the others who don't want to import. Win Win

Last edited:
I think your jumping to assumptions a bit. For one, I never trash the A-Spec as I haven't even used it. I also almost never used it in GT4, so I couldn't tell you what the strengths/weakness about it either. Importing my garage wouldn't change that. And who cares if they whine about it, if you know A spec worked great on GT6 then you could blast them over it. But with the option to race REAL people online..... why does anyone waste time with A Spec?

Now who's the one jumping to conclusions? :lol: Many people do not have the privilege of strong enough internet for good connections online, to make racing online a worthwhile and fun thing to do. So offline modes and seasonal events is all they have effectively. PD still wants to sell their game to as wide a market as possible, so of course they will put alot of time into creating something for the guys who want an offline experience.

Anyway, I think we are going round in circles here, I don't really think there is a big problem with a garage import since it would be optional, but I just think all angles should be considered.

Edit:
Giving the option to import makes the game work better for us, and has zero effect on the others who don't want to import. Win Win

I don't disagree with this, but we should consider what PD has done in the past. For example, not letting people take close ups/photo travel with standards. Some people just want to be able to do what they want, it doesn't hurt anyone else they are taking those photos so why not. PD don't want people to do it, maybe because they dont want their game represented in that way? I can't say for sure. But its this same mindset that would lead me to think it's possible PD wouldn't want to include a garage import, because it's not how they want their game to be played.

I never said it was a requirement, just that GT is still a game, and therefore still has game principles. If this wasn't the case, explain the level system in GT5. This is evidence that whilst GT doesn't necessarily follow many traditional features of a game, it does follow some. And that's not me defending it, I think the level system in GT5 is pretty bad, but it is just evidence that PD is still making a simulation game not just a simulator.

I guess another way of looking at it is this: the fact that GT is a game has no bearing on the discussion. I've already considered the other side. I'm not asking them to give up anything.

GT being a game doesn't explain the level system, because a game doesn't need such a thing. Even if GT was an arcade game, I could be asking for all the same things. A simulator is a game, they function exactly like games since they are played for enjoyment.

Now who's the one jumping to conclusions? :lol: Many people do not have the privilege of strong enough internet for good connections online, to make racing online a worthwhile and fun thing to do. So offline modes and seasonal events is all they have effectively. PD still wants to sell their game to as wide a market as possible, so of course they will put alot of time into creating something for the guys who want an offline experience.

Jumping to conclusions? Where? At no point in my post did I jump to any conclusions at all. I simply stated that I never use A spec, I don't trash it, and being able to import my garage wouldn't change that.

Regarding online, I was referring to those of us with the OPTION which implies that you have strong enough internet for it. Which most do actually.

Anyway, I think we are going round in circles here, I don't really think there is a big problem with a garage import since it would be optional, but I just think all angles should be considered.

Edit:

I don't disagree with this, but we should consider what PD has done in the past. For example, not letting people take close ups/photo travel with standards. Some people just want to be able to do what they want, it doesn't hurt anyone else they are taking those photos so why not. PD don't want people to do it, maybe because they dont want their game represented in that way? I can't say for sure. But its this same mindset that would lead me to think it's possible PD wouldn't want to include a garage import, because it's not how they want their game to be played.

True, Kaz has shown himself to be very very close minded over the years.

A simulator is a game, they function exactly like games since they are played for enjoyment.

That's quite a large generalisation, which is also not true. What about training sims etc. I think systems such as the leveling system are perfectly good examples that demonstrate the fact that GT wants to be a game, not just a pure sandbox simulator.

That's quite a large generalisation, which is also not true. What about training sims etc.
Training sims aren't sold as entertainment. They can still be used as such though. There is no meaning difference between a sim and a game. People spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on them for entertainment.

I think systems such as the leveling system are perfectly good examples that demonstrate the fact that GT wants to be a game, not just a pure sandbox simulator.
Well, the level system still doesn't make GT a game, because it's not a necessary game element. A simulator mode wouldn't exclude levels from the game anyway, they could still be included, just somewhere else.

Well, the level system still doesn't make GT a game, because it's not a necessary game element. A simulator mode wouldn't exclude levels from the game anyway, they could still be included, just somewhere else.

No, I agree it isn't a defining factor that "makes" it a game, but that's not what I said. I said it is evidence that it wants to be a game. It is a mechanism many games use, and whilst it is most certainly not something GT needs, they choose to use it. There are obvious reasons why, but it wasn't implemented well at all. I think my point still stands though, that it is evidence that PD want to emphasise that it is very much a game as much as it is just a simulator.

Edit: In fact, now that I think about it, the presence of the whole level system, if present in GT6, would be the closest thing to evidence that they don't want a garage transfer (assuming it works the same as GT5). They deliberately lock you out of certain cars, mostly higher performance cars, as well "harder" events. This demonstrates that PD want you to progress through the game, not just have everything at once. Even if you did have everything at once, you couldn't even use it until you reach the pre-requisite level. I don't think it's a perfect system really, but all I'm trying to say by this, is my interpretation of PD's actions present in GT5.

I would like to transfer 5 or so cars and get a 1,000,000 credit transfer, that way I could transfer the cars that are the most difficult to find and still feel ok about all the grinding I did in GT5. Although I would still start fresh in GT6 in career mode.

Back