GP of Brazil 2007

Give us a chance to deal with the previous GP eh? Still two weeks to go until the final race @.@

Though IMO...yes Hamilton can still do it, and I believe he will. I will be rooting for a Massa win as it gives Lewis the biggest margin (needing 4th+ instead of a podium) should he find himself the last of the big four.

eager beaver!

I got eaten alive for making a thread 4 days after a GP!

we will use this thread when the time comes :)

I think Ferrari will (or should) totally root for Kimi in Brazil, given that a victory from Massa won't help anyone but McLaren... So, Massa will just be blocking the other drivers, even if it's his country GP.

Anyway, if McLaren doesn't try anything nasty against Alonso, this race should show who truly deserves the championship. And for the first time, I want Raikkonnen to win this one, even if I'm deeply rooting for Alonso, but I feel like he would be the only legitimate champion this year.

I wish it went that way, Räikkönen winning the race, showing the world that legitimacy can still win, with Massa coming second to finalize the Ferrari success. Then Alonso, driving a fine race and ending his troubled season on the podium. About Hamilton, I don't care as long as he doesn't take the trophy.

However, the result will probably be Hamilton winning as Alonso is forced to drive as a backup to him. That's what the FIA wants to see. That's what McLaren wants to see. That's what is against any common sense rules. And that's what is so utterly wrong it's beyond any belief but the money has talked, it has been decided (no, not by the Higher Force, but by some greedy men) that Hamilton will have to win the championship so he'll be made the winner no matter what. We've already seen that even rules can be bent to make him the winner, why would it be changed now?

I don't see Alonso accepting team orders in favour of Hamilton if he's in a position to steal the championship.

I really want Hamilton to win,just to have a British world champion again. It's been far too long.

I wish it went that way, Räikkönen winning the race, showing the world that legitimacy can still win, with Massa coming second to finalize the Ferrari success. Then Alonso, driving a fine race and ending his troubled season on the podium. About Hamilton, I don't care as long as he doesn't take the trophy.

However, the result will probably be Hamilton winning as Alonso is forced to drive as a backup to him. That's what the FIA wants to see. That's what McLaren wants to see. That's what is against any common sense rules. And that's what is so utterly wrong it's beyond any belief but the money has talked, it has been decided (no, not by the Higher Force, but by some greedy men) that Hamilton will have to win the championship so he'll be made the winner no matter what. We've already seen that even rules can be bent to make him the winner, why would it be changed now?
If that's what the FIA truly wanted, McLaren wouldn't have been stripped of their points. The verdict required them to run last year's car for the remainder of the season and while they could obviously improve upon it, I doubt McLaren felt it would be as good as this year's car (regardless of whether they were guilty or not). Sure, I'm not Max Mosely's biggest fan, but there's no conspiracy at work here. Next you'll be suggesting Hamilton was told to retire so that the championship would go to a three-way fight in the final round.

Why does everyone seem to think there's a conspiracy at work here?

See, you're all suggesting that the FIA wants Hamilton to win because he's a British driver (never mind that the FIA is based in France, home of the French, Britain's traditional rivals). But that is completely contradicted by the fact that they went and fined Hamilton's team US$120 million, stripped them of all constructors' points for 2007 and 2008 and forced McLaren to use last year's car for the rest of the season. Max Mosely even came out and said they probably didn't go far enough in penalising McLaren.

So if the FIA is trying to rig the championship so a British driver wins, how does awarding the sporting world's single largest penalty to his team actually help Hamilton? Did it ever actually occur to you that Lewis Hamilton is talented enough to win on his own? You don't become McLaren's first rookie driver in twenty-five years simply by winning the lottery.

This is what I want. I really want Kimi to win the championship and I'm not giving up hope, but it will definetely take a miracle, just how Prost won in '86 with Mansell blowing a tyre in australia and Prost winning the race.

Regardless of who is champion though, I want Kimi once again to show his true skill, just like how he did in China. When he was behind Hamilton, after Hamilton went to pits, Kimi immediately did fastest lap of the race, then again, and then his inlap to pits was very fast and his outlap was like 2 seconds faster than Hamilton's or something like that, and then when Hamilton struggled on his worn tyres, Kimi showed some really nice driving. That's what I want to see.

I can totally see Alonso trying to take Hamilton out if the 1-2-3 order is Kimi, Hamilton, Alonso.

Equally I can also see Hamilton doing some idiotic like risking crashing to win instead of yielding and winning the championship by finishing second.

What exactly are you talking about?
Back at the Belgian Grand Prix, someone was talking about how McLaren were having to use last year's chassis as a result of the penalty. I think it was Peter Windsor who was talking with the Channel Ten presenters. I don't know if it's actually true, but Windsor strikes me as far more reliable than ITV and Channel Ten's presenters. Then again, maybe I dreamed the whole thing ... Takuma Sato won that race, didn't he?

But even if I'm wrong, it doesn't change my point: if there's some big conspiracy by the FIA to make sure Lewis Hamilton wins the title, how does penalising his team $120 million and stripping them of constructors points for two years actually help Hamilton win the World Championship. Maybe it's just me, but doesn't that sound counter-productive?

But even if I'm wrong, it doesn't change my point: if there's some big conspiracy by the FIA to make sure Lewis Hamilton wins the title, how does penalising his team $120 million and stripping them of constructors points for two years actually help Hamilton win the World Championship. Maybe it's just me, but doesn't that sound counter-productive?

Might have something to do with the McLaren drivers not being excluded from the drivers championship when the team was excluded from the constructors. I'd bet my hat that if the McLaren drivers weren't in contention for the title that both of them would be excluded from the drivers championship this year. And striping constructors points isn't counter-productive to the drivers title this year at all, and neither is the fine. But that's for another thread.

Maybe, but consider this: McLaren reportedly spent $402 million over the course of last year. With F1 requiring teams to constantly update and revise their cars throughout the year, a fine that is over a quarter of the previous year's expenditures really hampers their ability to spend money on developing the car. You simply can't budget for something like that, and while McLaren may have increased their overall budget, there's no way they'd simply havea spare $120 million lying around. That fine hurt them; they can't really spend anything on new parts and aero aids for the last five races of the championship, all of which have proven to be crucial to their drivers' title campaigns. The effect may be slight, but it is there. We may never know just how much it set them back of the full effects of it, but it could cost McLaren seven drivers' points.

So I still want to know: how does penalising McLaren aid Hamilton in winning the title?

Maybe, but consider this: McLaren reportedly spent $402 million over the course of last year. With F1 requiring teams to constantly update and revise their cars throughout the year, a fine that is over a quarter of the previous year's expenditures really hampers their ability to spend money on developing the car. You simply can't budget for something like that, and while McLaren may have increased their overall budget, there's no way they'd simply havea spare $120 million lying around. That fine hurt them; they can't really spend anything on new parts and aero aids for the last five races of the championship, all of which have proven to be crucial to their drivers' title campaigns. The effect may be slight, but it is there. We may never know just how much it set them back of the full effects of it, but it could cost McLaren seven drivers' points.

But really, the drivers title fight up until the last race has been between the McLaren drivers anyway, the only reason Kimi is in reach (and it's a very long reach) is because Hamilton chucked it in the sand last race, which had nothing to do with if McLaren had money to spend on mid-season upgrades or not.

In the last 5 races of the season neither McLaren driver has finished lower than 5th except for both their retirements (which were driver errors). And with the exception of Spa, have been able to match or better the Ferrari's pace for much of the race.

So I still want to know: how does penalising McLaren aid Hamilton in winning the title?
It doesn't, but it doesn't hinder him either. The argument is that they didn't take the drivers points away because they wanted an exciting finish to the season or possibly even Hamiltion to win.

Indeed, however I think McLaren should not have lost constructors points or drivers points. I think the financial penalty is enough (and is suitable for the crime). As soon as you apply a sporting penalty you imply that the cars are illegal, and if they’re illegal the drivers shouldn’t be able to have driven them either, so their points should be taken away.

There is no way that there should have been a ruling that the cars are ineligible to compete for the constructors championship but eligible to compete for drivers points.

The effect may be slight, but it is there.?

In almost any other team (with the exception of Ferrari) that fine would be enough to send them bankrupt. However, McLaren are a very strong organisation financially and they are able to absorb that hit.

McLaren’s budget for this season and next season have not been adjusted due to this fine. The team is going to run exactly as planned, and will get the money from elsewhere. The team’s financial partners have not been scared away by this, and the team looks as though it will continue to grow despite this punishment.

As big as the penalty is, McLaren can handle it without taking away from their sporting effort.

Back at the Belgian Grand Prix, someone was talking about how McLaren were having to use last year's chassis as a result of the penalty. I think it was Peter Windsor who was talking with the Channel Ten presenters. I don't know if it's actually true, but Windsor strikes me as far more reliable than ITV and Channel Ten's presenters. Then again, maybe I dreamed the whole thing ... Takuma Sato won that race, didn't he?

I used to like Peter Windsor but now he just really gets under my skin. It's started around the beginning of this season when he would have his own 10 minute (exaggerated) interview with Hamilton after every race when he got on the podium.

But it really got bad when Windsor started getting passive aggressive against Fernando, the first instance of this was after the Qualifying session in Belgium. He said something to the fact "Fernando... What was that spin all about?" in a very condescending voice, and the next day after the race "Fernando... What was going on with the start?".

Before the race in China it seemed like someone had got a hold of him and told him to be a bit more unbiased.

[/offtopic]

I think the Ferrari's should be quite good in Brazil compared to the McMercs. Considering that Interlagos has a lot of fast sweeping turns and that seems to be the Ferrari's speciality, also you can't take advantage of the curbs there so that's a minus for the McLarens.

Insanely early predictions:

1. Kimi
2. Massa
3. Alonso
4. Hamilton :indiff:
5. Kubica
6. Rosberg
7. Buttox
8. Rubens

Might have something to do with the McLaren drivers not being excluded from the drivers championship when the team was excluded from the constructors. I'd bet my hat that if the McLaren drivers weren't in contention for the title that both of them would be excluded from the drivers championship this year. And striping constructors points isn't counter-productive to the drivers title this year at all, and neither is the fine. But that's for another thread.

Whatever disagreement I have with the rest of your arguments, I have to admit, this much is probably true.

But then, either way you cut it, 100 million dollars is a lot of money.

Even if you've got a budget of 500 million dollars, that'll hurt... badly. It's bad for the team's morale, and it's bad for technical development.

I say, let the dice lie where they're rolled... I think even the FIA want to see where this championship ends up, espionage scandal or not. :lol:

First of all, I have to say that last race was what I had hoped for for the whole week. I admit, I wished bad luck for Lewis. It's not like me at all, but I want at least some justice for this season and letting Kimi come back into the title hunt is the least of what should happen. Seeing the billion replays of Lewis running wide on those almost-driveable-tyres made me smile more and more each time it played on tv. And then today I realized that this season is pretty much like last season: Two races to go and Schumi has eaten Alonso's gap in points to 0. Then, in Japan, the Ferrari's engine fails for the first time in God knows how many races. Well, Scumi still has a theoretical chance to win the title but then in Brazil first his gearbox blows in the qualification and then he get's a puncture while overtaking Fisichella, dropping him way back again. Ferrari had the faster car on the 4th quarter of the season, but luck wasn't on Schumi's side. This year then, you have to think of Lewis' gap as the faster car. We already got first of the unlucky events on his behalf and I stronly suspect that in Brazil he will fail to score points. Wheter it's his own error, the team's error or then it's an accident with another car, but something will happen. And, without any "Go Finland and Finnish drivers" -attitude I say Kimi will win, Massa will secure second and Kovalainen will be third. Of course it might be a bit early to predict, but I see it in my eyes :dopey: Alonso will get points, maybe fourth, but he too will have some minor problems.

Forza Ferrari!

Hmmmm, this could be quite an interesting race really. If it does rain (and if it does) it could totally be an unpredictable final. Well this is my predictions:

1. Kimi
2. Alonso
3. Hamilton
4. Massa
5. [any of the STR drivers]
6. Button
7. [any of the BMW drivers]
8. [any of the RBR drivers]

:D

My predictions

1 Kimi
2 Liuzzi
3 Safety Car
4 Sutil
5 Prost
6 Blake
7 Liuzzi
8 Syntax Error

My predictions

1 Kimi
2 Liuzzi
3 Safety Car
4 Sutil
5 Prost
6 Blake
7 Liuzzi
8 Syntax Error
That is going to shape up to be a very interesting race ... I assume Liuzzi will be awarded the drivers' title when a clerical error awards him five hundred-odd points?

That is going to shape up to be a very interesting race ... I assume Liuzzi will be awarded the drivers' title when a clerical error awards him five hundred-odd points?

I did originally plan to send a virus to the FIA's PCs would that give any driver with an L , U and a Z in their name (assuming I can't narrow it down to I's as well, so as not to raise suspicion that it's biased) 400 points.

But it was not to be.

Damn you, Alexander Wurz.

Give us a chance to deal with the previous GP eh? Still two weeks to go until the final race @.@

Though IMO...yes Hamilton can still do it, and I believe he will. I will be rooting for a Massa win as it gives Lewis the biggest margin (needing 4th+ instead of a podium) should he find himself the last of the big four.
Sorry. I just wanted to create this thread before anyone else beat me to it. :guilty:

Back