Gran Turismo 7 Custom Race thread

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 2,139 comments
Cheers for that! 👍🏻 Might spend some time one weekend making my own little BTCC. Never thought about using road cars and upgrading them to race cars.

It wont cost you much either, depending on the cars you already have. It cost me approx 1.7 million so far....

Can some help me with custom race settings. I see on here that some of you have made some really good race series which look like fun.

Last night I bought a load of road cars and turned them into touring cars. Slapped on a load of racing bits, weight reduction and racing tyres. I make a quick 20 car race with no restrictions and the first lap was epic. I had all cars fighting for positions, and even had 3/4 cars side by side going into corners. The race settles and I start to see the normal field spread happen. I win the race by about 6seconds. I check the replay and I find I’m the only car using racing tyres and all the other cars are using comfort or sport tyres.
2nd race I did I put PP limits on the cars and set ever car to the same PP limit. Race starts and have that epic first lap, but after that it was so easy for me to win. Won by about 20 seconds this time, and all cars still on the wrong tyres.

My question is,
1. How do I go about evening the field out? Im rubbish at tuning cars so, Is it just as simple as changing the power restriction? Or do I need to change the ride heights, gears etc….
2. How do I get my cars to drive on racing medium tyres? All cars have them as I bought them for all the cars.

Thanks.

1660464087254.png

Can some help me with custom race settings. I see on here that some of you have made some really good race series which look like fun.

Last night I bought a load of road cars and turned them into touring cars. Slapped on a load of racing bits, weight reduction and racing tyres. I make a quick 20 car race with no restrictions and the first lap was epic. I had all cars fighting for positions, and even had 3/4 cars side by side going into corners. The race settles and I start to see the normal field spread happen. I win the race by about 6seconds. I check the replay and I find I’m the only car using racing tyres and all the other cars are using comfort or sport tyres.
2nd race I did I put PP limits on the cars and set ever car to the same PP limit. Race starts and have that epic first lap, but after that it was so easy for me to win. Won by about 20 seconds this time, and all cars still on the wrong tyres.

My question is,
1. How do I go about evening the field out? Im rubbish at tuning cars so, Is it just as simple as changing the power restriction? Or do I need to change the ride heights, gears etc….
2. How do I get my cars to drive on racing medium tyres? All cars have them as I bought them for all the cars.

Thanks.

I hate to say this, but the ai only use racing hard in dry conditions(apart from sports tyres). They dont use racing soft or medium tyres. Sad but true. Try again with all racing hards and you will have a different race.....

[...]I check the replay and I find I’m the only car using racing tyres and all the other cars are using comfort or sport tyres.[...]

My question is,

Thanks.

You want their specs to be as close to each other as possible, so similar PP, downforce, rotational Gs, and weight. I think the PP system includes fuel economy and possibly tire wear in its calculation, but I'm not completely sure.

Each car needs to have RH tires for the AI to use slicks. Its annoying, honestly.

I hate to say this, but the ai only use racing hard in dry conditions(apart from sports tyres). They dont use racing soft or medium tyres. Sad but true. Try again with all racing hards and you will have a different race.....
You want their specs to be as close to each other as possible, so similar PP, downforce, rotational Gs, and weight. I think the PP system includes fuel economy and possibly tire wear in its calculation, but I'm not completely sure.

Each car needs to have RH tires for the AI to use slicks. Its annoying, honestly.
Ah well there goes 300,000 I spent on RM 🤣 Oh well I’ll just have to grind a few Le Mans and Sardenga races.

Thanks for the help. Will try these changes soon. 👍🏻

some great info there- thanks 👍 .........I like having some slower cars on longer races as it keeps the blue flag guys busy & makes it more interesting especially if you're chasing faster cars as the Ai as good as it is, never matches the human response to this when passing them

Last edited:
Just finished the first single-player season of my Super GT World Championship (with the 2016 cars). Nine rounds with two 75-km races each. First race with reversed grid according to the championship standings, second race with grid according to the first race. Drove one of the 18 cars at one race each during the season, usually the one starting furthest at the back, if not already used in a previous race (see PCC column).

SGTWC-S1.png

Due to the grid rules and the AI not as keen on overtaking on certain tracks (Autopolis, Suzuka), some cars ended up sweeping a round by winning the first and second race. Trying to change that for the next season by having the second race have a reversed grid for the first 10 cars from the first race. The AI doesn't drive strategically, so there's no chance of them deliberately placing like 10th in the first race, so they start from pole position for the second race.

Additionally, I'll add two more cars for a full 20-car grid in the next season. Since Lexus won the manufacturers championship, Nissan and Honda will get one additional car. Would love to have 21 or even 24 cars, but it is what it is.

Lastly, I'm contemplating about whether continuing to switch the player-controlled car for every race or going with the same car for the whole season. I'm a bit afraid that I might be just a bit smarter and the season (at least concerning the points standings) a bit more boring, if I happen to choose the latter option. Might try it anyway, with a shorter first race at each round in mind (that being said, does the AI act differently when the race lasts a certain amount of time (e.g. 30 minutes) instead of an amount of laps? I feel that some cars in the back drop off at one point and don't seem to care anymore).

So Im in the progress of setting up my world touring car championship and boy it’s time consuming but I’m actually really enjoying it.

Cars. Trying to find a sweet spot between a car been too dominate or way too slow has been a long progress, hopefully I’ve now found a middle ground. I’m not great at tuning cars so a lot of it has just been trial and error.
Liveries - this is so time consuming too, having to make a livery for 10/11 cars. I could buy them but I rather make my own. Also it’s a shame you can only use one livery for the same car (unless I buy another car, but I dont think it worth spending the credits for just for that)

A few issues I’ve found that still really bug me about the game is the bloody rubber banding. Laps 1/3 are great as all the cars are going 100% and it’s been great fighting in the mid pack, but once the race settles down the leaders go at 90% pace and cars at the back seem to go at 80%. I’m still finding it a bit too easy to over take the AI even thought the game suggests it’s a difficult race.
I’ve set damage to heavy, and in my practice race I sustained engine issues, so pitted lasted about 1 minute in the pits and then within 2 laps I was back on the rear bumper of first. checked the replay and the leader was lapping in 1.32, after my pit stop the leader was lapping in 1.49. I really wish PD would get rid of this rubber banding issue.

Once Im done I’ll post my grid, liveries etc…

Putting the Miatas aside for a bit to focus on a "Gr.5" series. Cars are ~200hp, 2100 lbs and using RH. (I'm on SS) Still tweaking them to even out the field, but its looking promising. List of cars:
  • Mazda Demio XD
  • VW Polo GTi
  • Peugeot 208 GTi
  • DS 3 Racing
  • Honda Fit Hybrid
  • Mini Cooper S
  • Alfa Romeo MiTo
  • Abarth 500
  • Suzuki Swift Sport
Tried to Add the Toyota Aqua, but you can't get rid of the CVT transmission. 😒

20970550504067640.jpg

Putting the Miatas aside for a bit to focus on a "Gr.5" series. Cars are ~200hp, 2100 lbs and using RH. (I'm on SS) Still tweaking them to even out the field, but its looking promising. List of cars:
  • Mazda Demio XD
  • VW Polo GTi
  • Peugeot 208 GTi
  • DS 3 Racing
  • Honda Fit Hybrid
  • Mini Cooper S
  • Alfa Romeo MiTo
  • Abarth 500
  • Suzuki Swift Sport

View attachment 1183696

I did the same thing a while back and was pretty fun, yet to try it since the last update

Attachments

• F6229105-DD33-4931-A5F2-F1FC9216F2BE.jpeg
    F6229105-DD33-4931-A5F2-F1FC9216F2BE.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Mazda Demio XD
  • VW Polo GTi
  • Peugeot 208 GTi
  • DS 3 Racing
  • Honda Fit Hybrid
  • Mini Cooper S
  • Alfa Romeo MiTo
  • Abarth 500
  • Suzuki Swift Sport

View attachment 1183696
R1600Turbo, will you please post car specs when you finalize, going to do this as well. 👍

I'm working on a lightweight series for 1955-1975 road cars (basically a later Goodwood Revival race). Under 1000kg and up to 150 HP. Provisional startlist:

Abarth 595, Alpine A110, Fiat 500 F, Honda S800, Mini Cooper S, Nissan Skyline Hardtop, Porsche 356, Renault R8, Toyota Sports 800 and VW 1200

2 car teams makes a full grid. The Renault is technically a rally car but I can forgive that. Nissan and VW are slightly over the weight limit. Will take a bit of fiddling to balance out the power/weight and torque. 3 million to buy all the vehicles at current prices, then whatever the upgrades cost.

Last edited:
PSA: If you attempt to save or load custom race presets in the pre-race menu after the race is loaded, the game can crash with a softlock (not leading in an error report upon crashing/quitting).

Also what is it with the tire selection? I have the GR010 from my garage on RM but every time the AI uses it they insist on RH. That being said, will they equip wet tires if I don't have them purchased?

PSA: If you attempt to save or load custom race presets in the pre-race menu after the race is loaded, the game can crash with a softlock (not leading in an error report upon crashing/quitting).

Also what is it with the tire selection? I have the GR010 from my garage on RM but every time the AI uses it they insist on RH. That being said, will they equip wet tires if I don't have them purchased?
The only tires the AI will use (other than wets) is RH and whatever they come with stock.

Im after some help with the AI on custom races.

So Ive built my touring cars and ive been able to tune them so they are all about equal. Ive spent hours making liveries for all 10 cars too. Ive done some TT runs and they were all with 1 second of each other. My issue now starts with eh AI.
So my race settings are as follows on the image as im trying to make it as competitive as i can but i don’t seem to have any luck. In the race i was 5-6 seconds quicker than top 5 cars and i was nearly 10 seconds quicker than the rest of the field. All cars were able to do 140mph on the straight but when i check the reply they are doing no more than 125mph max. I love GT7 as its a fun game but the AI just make me question is it even worth playing the game. The only way ive found to make this competitive is to drive as slow as the AI, and thats on half throttle.

Can someone suggest whats the best thing for me to do? I only have 1 car of each make so if i was to completely kill my car off power etc… my team will also lose there power. Is my only option to buy a 2nd car and run this car with significantly reduced hp via the power restrictor? Also so does fuel and tyre slow the AI too? Should i set these to off?

A414A09C-492A-48E7-B99B-3E46D70079BD.jpeg

Last edited:

So Ive built my touring cars and ive been able to tune them so they are all about equal. Ive spent hours making liveries for all 10 cars too. Ive done some TT runs and they were all with 1 second of each other. My issue now starts with eh AI.
So my race settings are as follows on the image as im trying to make it as competitive as i can but i don’t seem to have any luck. In the race i was 5-6 seconds quicker than top 5 cars and i was nearly 10 seconds quicker than the rest of the field. All cars were able to do 140mph on the straight but when i check the reply they are doing no more than 125mph max. I love GT7 as its a fun game but the AI just make me question is it even worth playing the game. The only way ive found to make this competitive is to drive as slow as the AI, and thats on half throttle.

Can someone suggest whats the best thing for me to do? I only have 1 car of each make so if i was to completely kill my car off power etc… my team will also lose there power. Is my only option to buy a 2nd car and run this car with significantly reduced hp via the power restrictor? Also so does fuel and tyre slow the AI too? Should i set these to off?

View attachment 1184873
The AI only uses 95% throttle in custom races, it’s a bug as far as I know. I can’t imagine it’s intentional when AI in non-custom races use full throttle.

You can set the grid with your ECU or power restrictor at 100%, then change it from the race menu without going back to the grid settings, and the AI will have the original settings.

View attachment 1184873
Make your car a bit slower and run on a harder tire.

View attachment 1184873
I run with damage off. That’s a sure way to keep all cars battling. Boost Weak and slipstream Real. I also set Fuel/Tyre to 1x.
As for TT runs with one model each, personally, I set up the cars without doing a TT, assign the AI cars and do a race, to see which ones blitz the field. I then dial those cars back. Obviously, the AI don’t drive as we do. So, depending on circuit, the AI performance will vary.

Performance can also be car dependent. Gearing can be a factor that limits AI performance. I found with my muscle car races, the Challenegr final drive performs worse than the Super Bee, with the same final drive. Just me adjusting the Challenger final drive to that of the Boss 429, allowed the Challenger to accelerate better. Lots of trial and error.

The AI only uses 95% throttle in custom races, it’s a bug as far as I know. I can’t imagine it’s intentional when AI in non-custom races use full throttle.

You can set the grid with your ECU or power restrictor at 100%, then change it from the race menu without going back to the grid settings, and the AI will have the original settings.
Hmmmm so its a glitch but probs not on the high priority list for PD i bet. Been like for a while now hasn’t it?
Ah ok cool. So basically i can use the same car but then restrict mine in the race lobby
Make your car a bit slower and run on a harder tire.
Im running all cars on racing hard as apparently you cant run them on other racing tyres
I run with damage off. That’s a sure way to keep all cars battling. Boost Weak and slipstream Real. I also set Fuel/Tyre to 1x.
As for TT runs with one model each, personally, I set up the cars without doing a TT, assign the AI cars and do a race, to see which ones blitz the field. I then dial those cars back. Obviously, the AI don’t drive as we do. So, depending on circuit, the AI performance will vary.

Performance can also be car dependent. Gearing can be a factor that limits AI performance. I found with my muscle car races, the Challenegr final drive performs worse than the Super Bee, with the same final drive. Just me adjusting the Challenger final drive to that of the Boss 429, allowed the Challenger to accelerate better. Lots of trial and error.
I put damage on as i was hoping i might get more random mix up results, rather than the dominant cars winning.
Boost setting. Why is this set to weak? Is that a better setting for closer racing? Just the game make out if it on strong it will close the field.

Hmmmm so looks like i need to slow my car down by a fair bit then to level myself off to the other cars. Cheers for the input all, I appreciate it.

Hmmmm so its a glitch but probs not on the high priority list for PD i bet. Been like for a while now hasn’t it?
Ah ok cool. So basically i can use the same car but then restrict mine in the race lobby

Im running all cars on racing hard as apparently you cant run them on other racing tyres

I put damage on as i was hoping i might get more random mix up results, rather than the dominant cars winning.
Boost setting. Why is this set to weak? Is that a better setting for closer racing? Just the game make out if it on strong it will close the field.

Hmmmm so looks like i need to slow my car down by a fair bit then to level myself off to the other cars. Cheers for the input all, I appreciate it.
Set power restrictor to 82 for the car you are driving, compared to the other cars on 100, and that should be close to the correct speed on the straight.

Oh, for sure, run how you prefer. I find it takes cars out with damage on. Some cars ahead, then limp around causing cars behind to slow down.
I find Boost Weak to be more balanced with the wave of rubberbanding.

My PP settings, are usually within 2 PP of the whole field. Again, depending on cars. The Kei car series I'm starting, the S660 has incredible MR handling. So, the other cars, I set BHP higher, to compensate. That's just me. It brings the PP closer and slightly higher than the S660.

All my cars use RM. Even the car I use. AI have the benefit of all the aids. I only have ABS default. I'm also using the DS4. That may be another factor. I'm not an alien or top player, but I'm not slow.

A wide track and a tight track.

Set power restrictor to 82 for the car you are driving, compared to the other cars on 100, and that should be close to the correct speed on the straight.
No, you have to run on a harder tire. If they are using RH, you should use SS.
Thanks for the feedback on this. I think I found a good power setting now for my car's with just bhp lowered on my car only. Only done one race so far and I was starting P5 and I had to work to finish P2. Need to try a race at the back now.
Oh, for sure, run how you prefer. I find it takes cars out with damage on. Some cars ahead, then limp around causing cars behind to slow down.
I find Boost Weak to be more balanced with the wave of rubberbanding.

My PP settings, are usually within 2 PP of the whole field. Again, depending on cars. The Kei car series I'm starting, the S660 has incredible MR handling. So, the other cars, I set BHP higher, to compensate. That's just me. It brings the PP closer and slightly higher than the S660.

All my cars use RM. Even the car I use. AI have the benefit of all the aids. I only have ABS default. I'm also using the DS4. That may be another factor. I'm not an alien or top player, but I'm not slow.

A wide track and a tight track.

Yeah I only put heavy damage on just make it a bit more realistic. Never thought about the damaged AI blocking the other AI. Will monitor this.
Ok, I might play around with the boost and see how it works out.

Thanks to all 3 of you for your feedback! Think I'm on the right track now so hopefully should have some decent battles

Just another idea for those that have classic cars gathering virtual dust.

Would be good for just a track day run as well.

I'm getting extremely bad stuttering and lag during my Custom Races. Anyone else have this and have a fix for it? Generally it's during longer races.
I also had big lag in the Nations event last night that cost me seconds per lap so I'm beginning to wonder if its a PS5 thing. My connection seems fine..

I have a question, since tires and the abilty/non-ability to select the tires for the oponent cars does play a significant role in custom races:

Is there a list, where you can see what road cars have sports tires per default ?

Back