Gran Turismo 7 Custom Race thread

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 2,004 comments
Thanks bro'.

So if I buy a car and a softer compound to go with it, which is usually my M.O., the AI won't use the softer one no matter what 'cause there's a harder one already there?

If this really is the case, it's a bummer.

Last edited:
Thanks bro'.

So if I buy a car and a softer compound to go with it, which is usually my M.O., the AI won't use the softer one no matter what 'cause there's a harder one already there?

If this really is the case, it's a bummer.
Correct.

It's ironic because, as I posted above, after a wet track, the AI will pit and switch from a wet tyre to the RS.

We have to think about what cars we'll use the most, as not to ruin the standard tyre compound for the AI. If that makes sense... PDLogic™

Correct.

It's ironic because, as I posted above, after a wet track, the AI will pit and switch from a wet tyre to the RS.

We have to think about what cars we'll use the most, as not to ruin the standard tyre compound for the AI. If that makes sense... PDLogic™
Does the AI only do this after a wet track? I have to wonder if they have some set "strategy". Hards to last as long as possible, but if it rains, the race is probably close enough to over to switch to softs. It'll work well enough in plenty of shorter races I guess. This would be the easiest way to handle it, but it's also probably the worst. No checks at all for how long the race will be, how the tire wear is scaled, how long the tires should last?? These seem like simple enough math for AAA game developers.

Does the AI only do this after a wet track? I have to wonder if they have some set "strategy". Hards to last as long as possible, but if it rains, the race is probably close enough to over to switch to softs. It'll work well enough in plenty of shorter races I guess. This would be the easiest way to handle it, but it's also probably the worst. No checks at all for how long the race will be, how the tire wear is scaled, how long the tires should last?? These seem like simple enough math for AAA game developers.
I mainly run short races, 10-15 minutes or 5-10 laps. Weather is random, but I rarely see wet conditions. 1X, 24X and 30X time. Red Bull Ring, Nurb GP and DTG are the only tracks I’ll see AI pit Lap1 to switch tyres. I run HUD off. So, I’d see AI signalling to pit end of the lap and notice they started on IW. Thing is, track didn’t appear damp or conditions cloudy and it would be a 1X time multiplier. Again, it’s rare for me to see that.
I‘m more likely to get rain at Fuji, mid-race, than any other track that has rain.

I want to do a M30 competition, probably done many times before. Any setups? Or just every car RH will do?
Might want to combine it in the future with some Cossies.

I’m still working on the custom career I mentioned a few pages back, and I’m putting together a Wangan Midnight/Tokyo Xtreme Racer league which is unrelated to the main career or invitational events (which are like classic GT events).

I wanted to see what you think about the format of races. Also because I just want to share it :P I’m adapting TXR’s SP system to something that works more with GT.

Normal Battle

Winning condition: Win by five seconds or more

Losing condition: Lose by five seconds or more

If a finish happens where neither condition occurs: Draw, race again

Time Attack

Winning condition: Finish first

Losing condition: Finish second or lower

Once these have been fulfilled, simply finish the race in any position to collect your prize money.

Currently, the career has:

Open-wheel

Karting
Formula 4 (Red Bull Junior)
Formula 3
Formula 2
Super Formula
Formula 1
Red Bull Formula X Championship (X2019, like an alternate F1 season)

Closed-wheel

Karting
Clio Cup
Regional GT4
Porsche Supercup
IMSA
Super GT
WEC (GT3, GTE, LMP1)
Stock Car Racing
Group C (via the invitational league)

To Be Added

GT World Challenge Europe and Asia
British GT Championship
V8 Supercars
BTCC
Yaris Cup
Mazda MX-5 Cup
Various championships of different eras

There are 60 GT League style events (number will grow, I want to have as many or more events as GT4), with a few championships and an endurance race included.

Plus, 19 (as of now, there’ll be more when it’s complete) missions, which are less traditional, more experimental events.

There’re a few rally events, but they’re not part of a career path.

Also, there are events for cars that require invites, and events that require invitational and legendary cars. I put them in separate leagues as you can’t acquire them at any time.

Every championship can be played, no matter what career path you choose, they just open up at different times depending on your results and what championship you’re racing in.

For example, Porsche Supercup is available in the open-wheel path after completing a season in Formula 3, as the invitational league then becomes accessible.

In the closed-wheel path, Super Formula and Formula 2 are only available after a successful WEC campaign driving LMP1 cars.

If you win the Super Formula or Formula 2 championship, you can go to Formula 1.

How interested would you be for this? We can of course make these ourselves, but I figure it might be what some people are looking for.

Last edited:
Question the cars from your garage that you assign to the ai are they using the tires you currently have on them I took all my sport cars and hyper cars and I equipped all of them with sport soft tires so those will be the tires the ai uses right?

I have started a TCR championship.
The rules are simple:
Specs Gr4
Tuned commercial cars only
Sedans or 5-door coupes only
Cars from '00 onwards

The first race has been exciting in the ring. 4 laps with expert difficulty and weak boost. I was driving an Atenza, slightly slower in the corner but fast on the straights and with great fuel efficiency.
Well, in the first lap the p1 was 16 seconds ahead of me. In the end I'd come in second thanks to my fuel efficiency, if I hadn't been behind the 10th.
He has won a dogde charger, 2 seconds ahead of me and 7 seconds ahead of the BMW M4. Might have to nerf the charger.
The AI is very fast on this track with tuned cars and with a matched performance on the track verified by me.

f773ace30d630772a87015c686567e6d_photo.webp

59a085d1a0bb3650a7a78da69af90115_photo.webp

532694660260fd22bcc655028003dc67_photo.webp

a10bbdc8c3f819a45015e75b8d2bc655_photo.webp

cf05ea5de4356690bb80dea99919f949_photo.webp

6301effb91d3a4eba3eebaab4af870d4_photo.webp

b6b2d76383b33e06ad82b3c8daacbd34_photo.webp

5d9ce70e962d13f875ca20626c88ec26_photo.webp

Last edited:
Question the cars from your garage that you assign to the ai are they using the tires you currently have on them I took all my sport cars and hyper cars and I equipped all of them with sport soft tires so those will be the tires the ai uses right?
I haven’t tried in a while, but I believe they’ll still run default treaded tyres. Some of us thought it was fixed, when PD announced the tyre compound patch, but it didn’t change.

I haven’t tried in a while, but I believe they’ll still run default treaded tyres. Some of us thought it was fixed, when PD announced the tyre compound patch, but it didn’t change.
Guess that explains why my p1 gtr almost got outrun by the zonda 09 it was on racing tires and not the SS I equipped it with.

I did a test took the p1 gtr and a c7 corvette which I left SS tires on to Tokyo expressway 10 lap, fuel x15, and waited till the vette pitted and it was on HS. :banghead:

I have repeated the race again but with the starting grid reversed to the result of the previous race, with the Charger and the M4 starting last, and on lap 4 they were already in the lead. definitely these 2 cars should be nerfed. but this time who has fought the most has been the Maserati gran turismo, winning the victory. I was surprised that everyone was at 100% throttle on the straights

Ran two 5-lappers at Monza using my Group 5 grid,(thanks 05XR8). In the first one, I got spun on lap 4, and wound up finishing fourth. Won the second race by 7 tenths. I was in the Pantera and wound up with two 512BB’s chasing me. I passed them on the 3rd lap when they took each other out. They caught me at the end of lap four.

I filled the 20 car grid with 930’s, Greddy Fugu’s, 3.0 CSL’s, 308’s, Stratos’, 512BB’s, and Panteras. I don’t have the proper Z-cars or the Dino. I didn’t take the time to detune a few Corvettes. Next time, for sure.

Thanks again to 05XR8 for the Group 5 grid.

After quite some time, I finally got my Michelin Pilot Challenge grid ready to go!
185d69f96e035-screenshotUrl.jpg

185d69fa85e32-screenshotUrl.jpg

I forgot about the Renault driver, but I already fixed it.

Already ran the first race, and boy the GS cars are so even! Hell of a fight from start to finish.

Hey guys, I've watched this thread for a long time now and just wanted to share something.

I recently made a video which is sort of a comprehensive documentation of all the ways PD messed up the AI in GT7, including custom race and weird inconsistencies:

The section about custom race in particular starts at 8:18 but I would recommend watching from the start for better context.

I used a lot of the information that people have posted in here and did give a shout-out later in the video as well.

I thought that if there would be people interested in this sort of thing then it would probably be here. Take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I've watched this thread for a long time now and just wanted to share something.

I recently made a video which is sort of a comprehensive documentation of all the ways PD messed up the AI in GT7, including custom race and weird inconsistencies:

The section about custom race in particular starts at 8:18 but I would recommend watching from the start for better context.

I used a lot of the information that people have posted in here and did give a shout-out later in the video as well.

I thought that if there would be people interested in this sort of thing then it would probably be here. Take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks!

I watched it this morning, it was recommended to me, great video! I knew they slowed down, but not by 20 seconds, that’s crazy.

The AI really can be quick - the Lago Maggiore Human Comedy race for example, if they were to take that AI’s pace and link it to a new difficulty option, it would really help.

The AI is also bugged, in that their throttle usage drops to 95% after the first corner. As far as I know, at launch, this didn’t happen, then, after an update, it was 95% from the start of the race. A few months later, they stayed at 100% until the first corner, where they dropped back to 95%.

You can get around this by reducing the ECU or using a power restrictor, but it does mean you have to test out each car.

I hope it gets fixed soon, but I don’t know if they’re aware of it. They do read GTPlanet, though, so maybe they’ve checked this thread and seen it.

Last edited:

Good video.

The tire thing has really killed custom races for me. I wanted to do a series with all cars on SS tires but cant since some of the cars come with RH tires. :(

Last edited:
I’ve been so bored with this game and I thought I finally found an interesting way to salvage it with custom races. I thought it would be a great idea to pit my tunes against each other only to find out about the tire glitch which completely negates my tunes since I mostly use SM and SS tires on my street cars. This has completely killed any rekindled interest I had in this game. I bought a PS5 for GT7 and now I barely play it… ☹️☹️☹️

Ran two Custom races at Monza with my Group C grid. On intermediate, boost weak. I used the XJR-9. I started in 20th. For the first race, it took me well into lap 8 to get the lead, only to lose it when the AI 787B banged me off-line in the Parabolica. I caught some lapped traffic and couldn’t get the win, finishing second.

For the second race, I got the lead on lap 8 again and held off the 787B to get the win. He was along side me a few times until the end. I held my line and wouldn’t yield.

I‘ll run a few tomorrow at Monza using the 962C and cycle through the five Group C cars there.

Last edited:

Much respect for taking the time to explain the AI in your video. Good stuff!

I watched it this morning, it was recommended to me, great video! I knew they slowed down, but not by 20 seconds, that’s crazy.

The AI really can be quick - the Lago Maggiore Human Comedy race for example, if they were to take that AI’s pace and link it to a new difficulty option, it would really help.

The AI is also bugged, in that their throttle usage drops to 95% after the first corner. As far as I know, at launch, this didn’t happen, then, after an update, it was 95% from the start of the race. A few months later, they stayed at 100% until the first corner, where they dropped back to 95%.

You can get around this by reducing the ECU or using a power restrictor, but it does mean you have to test out each car.

I hope it gets fixed soon, but I don’t know if they’re aware of it. They do read GTPlanet, though, so maybe they’ve checked this thread and seen it.
Yep, I noticed this also. It's a strange one since their speed seems to change independent of throttle position anyway. For example, if you get really far ahead of them they seem to go faster on the straights, as if their car has more power, but throttle still shows at about 95% like you say, and that's with boost off.

I didn't really talk about how the game manipulates their speed but I have noticed a few things. When they're being held back to go slower than they would normally be (like when the player is far behind) you can often hear a weird tyre screeching sound and also sometimes at the start or end of a race you can see their speed suddenly jump up or down in an instant. Such as if you're really far in the lead and you finish the race, checking back on the reply I've seen that the moment I cross the line they all suddenly lose 15-20mph in some cases.

They're not very subtle about it is how it seems...

Watched it on the Tube. Excellent. Thank you.

CCC
Is there any specific setting to get the AI to actually be competitive on SSRX?
I doubt it, they're still stuck on 95% throttle and the rubberbanding can never be fully turned off. The only setting I can recommend for closer racing on SSRX is your power limiter.

Great video, I'm really glad you made this because I kept thinking if nobody else did, I would have to!

I can still have some fun because I play with my son and the bizarre AI gives him a chance of winning. We play 1+ hour endurance races and swap at the pit stops, the other day we were lapped after 20 minutes, but later on the car in first slowed so much we took the lead... totally insane but my son was happy :)

I hope this video gets boosted enough so that Polyphony become aware of it, good work!

Last edited:

Great video

Thanks

Back