Gran Turismo 7 Custom Race thread

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 2,004 comments
Hi all, long time lurker. THANK YOU for the effort you’ve all put in and documented here. The love for the game is inspirational - and taking effect! Hence the post :) As it took me about a week to fully read everything here, super additional thanks to Roflwaffle for compiling via the video. Nicely produced, too!

This thread has totally overhauled my interest in the game, having now spent time creating a couple solid custom grids of my own (nfs/childhood dream cars…love that i can name the AI drivers after the nfs most wanted “blacklist” rivals; 2023 imsa replica grid as the other), I have a GT singleplayer horizon filled with potential!

I write to ask about balance. Right now I have avoided fussing with downforce (usually go dead center for all cars), rather balancing first around power/weight and then around having similar acceleration speeds (far left side of tuning sheet). beyond that, it’s running practice sessions and making finer adjustments based on actual AI performance.

I do have a few questions I have developed in playing around with custom “bop,” going to toss them in here, using the IMSA Gr3 cars as an example:
-is the above the right way to go about it?
-is the process going to require testing/retuning on EVERY track I intend to race on? in other words, should I plan on having tuning sheets for each ‘race in the season?’
-does anyone know how to tune an MR/RR car in a way the AI can use? Seems as I have done personal laps in the NSX/650s and tuned their suspensions to my liking to improve lap time, the consequence is the AI driver falling further behind when I hop into a different car
-any opinions on using downforce to settle ‘disputes?’ I have read that the AI actually benefits from LACK of downforce, so a little confused on how to think about what to do here (again, the “different tracks” question rears its head)
-what to do when I create the problem where my slowest car can’t soup up to match the performance of its classmates? certainly, the answer involves slowing the others down, but i’m curious if there are “best” ways to handle this (conceptually, ECS vs Ballast vs Limiter)
-finally, has this community agreed upon the right way to tune down one’s car for fair contest against a weak-boosted AI? someone once wrote “82 on the power limiter” but I have had mixed results. Driving mostly Daytona the past week (where keeping throttle open is of more relative importance than other tracks) I found I need to sit around 90-95 to match their top speed on the straights.

Hope to become a useful contributor, appreciate this thread and thank you in advance for any reply opinions!

Ai loses its No Claims Bonus 🌝

Ive been playing with the Ai & trying to throw it a wobbly & added some of the SFX in the ps5 video editor for fun - highlights from the last race round 14 of the Minic Canine Cup below

Hi all, long time lurker. THANK YOU for the effort you’ve all put in and documented here. The love for the game is inspirational - and taking effect! Hence the post :) As it took me about a week to fully read everything here, super additional thanks to Roflwaffle for compiling via the video. Nicely produced, too!

This thread has totally overhauled my interest in the game, having now spent time creating a couple solid custom grids of my own (nfs/childhood dream cars…love that i can name the AI drivers after the nfs most wanted “blacklist” rivals; 2023 imsa replica grid as the other), I have a GT singleplayer horizon filled with potential!

I write to ask about balance. Right now I have avoided fussing with downforce (usually go dead center for all cars), rather balancing first around power/weight and then around having similar acceleration speeds (far left side of tuning sheet). beyond that, it’s running practice sessions and making finer adjustments based on actual AI performance.

I do have a few questions I have developed in playing around with custom “bop,” going to toss them in here, using the IMSA Gr3 cars as an example:
-is the process going to require testing/retuning on EVERY track I intend to race on? in other words, should I plan on having tuning sheets for each ‘race in the season?’
-does anyone know how to tune an MR/RR car in a way the AI can use? Seems as I have done personal laps in the NSX/650s and tuned their suspensions to my liking to improve lap time, the consequence is the AI driver falling further behind when I hop into a different car
-any opinions on using downforce to settle ‘disputes?’ I have read that the AI actually benefits from LACK of downforce, so a little confused on how to think about what to do here (again, the “different tracks” question rears its head)
-what to do when I create the problem where my slowest car can’t soup up to match the performance of its classmates? certainly, the answer involves slowing the others down, but i’m curious if there are “best” ways to handle this (conceptually, ECS vs Ballast vs Limiter)
-finally, has this community agreed upon the right way to tune down one’s car for fair contest against a weak-boosted AI? someone once wrote “82 on the power limiter” but I have had mixed results. Driving mostly Daytona the past week (where keeping throttle open is of more relative importance than other tracks) I found I need to sit around 90-95 to match their top speed on the straights.

Hope to become a useful contributor, appreciate this thread and thank you in advance for any reply opinions!
Yeah, you’ll have to test what works for you. Various driving skills and how you play, determine how you deal with the AI. Some use qualifying/time trial to set up their grids. Some use finishing order to set up grids. Some may always start from the front, middle or rear of the grid.

For Gr.3 and Gr.4 car BOP, I just leave cars stock. When I create a car to Gr.4 specs, I try to set the downforce(some road Cars with the optional aero, can match the Gr.4 cars aero), power, weight, gearing, differential, as close to a similar car as possible and/or the real world race car specs. For example: AMG GT R set to Gr.4 SLS specs. Suspension settings mimic PD’s default settings for all my cars(including MR cars). So, AI don’t have a problem with the suspension physics programming.
My Gr.4 only races have BOP off. I find the AI are still competitive. The M4 is still sometimes with its performance. Usually the slowest Gr.4(in “real” GT4 grids).

Built cars like my Gr.A grids of JTCC/DTM/BTCC cars. I use close to real world performance specs. Depending what I want to replicate, I do detune the R32 sometimes. Other than that, I let them dominate like they have done in JTCC and ATCC. With JTC(Evo IV, Civic TC and Integra) I get PP nearly Identical. Adjusting the Evo AWD split towards more rearward bias.

Classic cars require lots of trial and error. I’ve got good balance with my various classic 1969-1973 cars. Messing with gearing, power & weight. Which comes down to set up. I don’t have the cars at optimum set up, for me. The AI use all the aids to drive them with more control than I do. I have to use more caution which allows the AI to outperform me at certain tracks.

Not sure which MR & RR cars you’re using, but for Group 5 replicas, I use this: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/group-5-classics.410871/

Now, the full throttle and Daytona thing. Yes, it’s a pain at times. I get AI performing well with certain cars. Then, other times I pass them all on the first lap with other set ups. It’s a weird thing.

Since I like to use every car on my grid(s), I'll tune each individual car to the way I like to drive it. I let the chips fall where they may as far as performance.

I am lazy, though. :)

Yeah, you’ll have to test what works for you. Various driving skills and how you play, determine how you deal with the AI. Some use qualifying/time trial to set up their grids. Some use finishing order to set up grids. Some may always start from the front, middle or rear of the grid.

For Gr.3 and Gr.4 car BOP, I just leave cars stock. When I create a car to Gr.4 specs, I try to set the downforce(some road Cars with the optional aero, can match the Gr.4 cars aero), power, weight, gearing, differential, as close to a similar car as possible and/or the real world race car specs. For example: AMG GT R set to Gr.4 SLS specs. Suspension settings mimic PD’s default settings for all my cars(including MR cars). So, AI don’t have a problem with the suspension physics programming.
My Gr.4 only races have BOP off. I find the AI are still competitive. The M4 is still sometimes with its performance. Usually the slowest Gr.4(in “real” GT4 grids).

Built cars like my Gr.A grids of JTCC/DTM/BTCC cars. I use close to real world performance specs. Depending what I want to replicate, I do detune the R32 sometimes. Other than that, I let them dominate like they have done in JTCC and ATCC. With JTC(Evo IV, Civic TC and Integra) I get PP nearly Identical. Adjusting the Evo AWD split towards more rearward bias.

Classic cars require lots of trial and error. I’ve got good balance with my various classic 1969-1973 cars. Messing with gearing, power & weight. Which comes down to set up. I don’t have the cars at optimum set up, for me. The AI use all the aids to drive them with more control than I do. I have to use more caution which allows the AI to outperform me at certain tracks.

Not sure which MR & RR cars you’re using, but for Group 5 replicas, I use this: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/group-5-classics.410871/

Now, the full throttle and Daytona thing. Yes, it’s a pain at times. I get AI performing well with certain cars. Then, other times I pass them all on the first lap with other set ups. It’s a weird thing.
Sounds like testing has the last laugh, then. Worth it! Many thanks for the thoughtful and thorough response. A lot of tinkering to come :)

Thanks to you, too, Oldie! Appreciate your presence in this thread. I can open up to the notion that I am unlikely to create a perfectly competitive grid of AI.

As I get things dialed in, I’ll try to share some greatest hits like the rest of you do. I really like that one that just came in - nice edits and personification by Baz

Been toying around with a few Gr.4/road/historic race car grids lately.

Slip stream - real
Off track grip - real
Damage - heavy
Boost - weak
Fuel and tire multipliers no less that x6
Minimum 30 minute races.

Grid start with me in last place. Cockpit view.

I leave all the gr.4 cars stock. I tune everything else to 725-750pp.

I leave my car (95’ 911 RS/CS, cockpit view, hud off, and rowing my own gears….yes please! 😎) right at 675PP with racing hards. I’ve had some great battles and still haven’t won a race yet. I’ve found that even though the road cars won’t start on their pre-selected tires at first, it doesn’t really matter for the AI, as they drive on rails as it is. My most fun saved race so far is Daytona road course for 45 minutes, or 20 laps. Really intense track that show cases the handling cars and the speed cars strengths and weaknesses. Not to mention the AI doesn’t really do anything funky in the turns.

In regards to tire selection for AI, I’ve found that it really only matters if they get caught out in the rain without wets.

I’m having so much fun in this game mode. I could care less about the payouts!

Well, more of an outtake than “greatest hit,” I have my first shareable! After excitedly assembling photos of a great, grueling 90min race at Daytona (two weeks of balance testing), I hopped into my first test of my assumed Sebring replacement, Dragon Trail Gardens Reverse, and immediately had a more entertaining output. In short, it was a BAD test :)

I yet to win one.:(
Gran Turismo® 7_20230203205429.jpg

I finished up my Group 5 grid. Bought another Mangusta,(they'll go in there with the Panteras), three 240ZG's and another 3.0CSL.

The 240ZG really surprised me, being much better than I thought it would be. So did the RX-7 FC GT-X.

After finishing the game in barely a week, I had to start killing the boredom. Even if that custom mode is far from perfection, that's actually the place to be for solo drivers. Hopefully we'll have proper engaging and official races, but 'till then...

Le Mans being my beloved one, this is where I am currently racing and mess around with AI BoP. I started with a full Gr.3 grid (Pro/Am), but it was lacking something spicy. So I went with LMP1 instead of GTAm and heavy damages. Well, spicy it was! :D

You cannot guess what gonna happen in term of results. I think my BoP is more or less fine (AI wise), but heavy damages are the game changer here (including for myself.. oh boy...). Two races of 24 & 30 laps each and a 2 hours race for three totally different outcomes.
Usually, you will find AI GT cars in "packs" on the track racing each other. There is the front pack running without any problem, the second one which have seen too closely LMP1 cars, and the third one where no one is close to lucky (I was right there in my last race! :irked: ).

Pushing as hell during the night to close the gap with the second group of cars was quite something, especially when you are fighting for position and blue flags are waved. Well... I went back to the third group on that one, i must admit... :lol:

blueflag.jpg

I took that screenshot when it was safe, 'cause Porsche sector is not the place you want to do something else than taking care where you put your tyres (especially when you play with a controller the old way). But blue flags here, being in a pack of fighting GT cars with LMP1 coming after you, is quite an experience! How does that boy says already? "Ha ha! I'm in danger!"
Indeed, you are....

Last edited:
Excellent races.

Are the flags being obeyed by the AI now? Just curious.
Obeyed in the worst possible way. AI slows down a bit, stays on its line or slightly incurves its way in the middle of the track, (sometimes taking a defensive line), just like in GT5.

We should have an "endurance blue flag" option where AI would just have to keep its line and pace, avoiding any stupid maneuvers.

Welcome to The Chikane's.
Untitled-2.png

Race rules and setup

40 Minute - Races
20 Car Grid
All cars in default setup with RH tires and HP reduce to 550hp
Rolling Start
Boost - Weak
Slipstream - Real
Mechanical Damage - Weak
Fuel Consumption Rate x2
Tire Wear Rate x5
Grip[ Reduction off Track - Real
Refueling Speed x5
Variable Time Speed Rate x10
Difficuty - Intermediate Level
Shortcut Penalty - On
Wall Collision Penalty - Off
Car Collision Penalty - Off
Flag Rules - On
Pit Lane Line-Cutting Penalty - On

Tracks for the series.

Autodromo de Interlagos
Daytona International Speedway
Michelin Road Atlanta
Autodromo Nazionale Monza
Watkins Glen
Circuit de Spa Francorchamps
Fuji International Speedway
Suzuka Circuit

I'll be using the same car my gold p1 gtr.
For qualifying I'll be running a 3 lap race in the tracks that's up and the position I finish in will be my starting position.

I'll post the results for each race here of course.:)

Like the parameters. Especially the qualifying idea.

I'm getting to use a standing start more as my go-to starting selection. I got burned out on all the rolling starts.

I'd love to have a classic LeMans sprint to the car.

I guess Bathurst was this weekend, not sure if I'll be recreating it. I might, just need to build more cars and find the appropriate liveries.

Found time to do the first race at Autodromo de Interlagos and all I have to say is if the rest are like this first race then. :bowdown:

qualifying race starting in default 10th
Gran Turismo® 7_20230205131552.jpg
Grid for the first race.
Gran Turismo® 7_20230205131800.jpg
Pass for the lead
Gran Turismo® 7_20230205131945.jpg

Got a ignoring track limits one my fault and the second I got pushed off track by a ai car.
Gran Turismo® 7_20230205133145.jpg

After that it was just holding off the field till lap 16 when I pitted.

Which make me go down to last place but the ai still has to pit so making my way back pass the slower gtr's and catching the leaders.
On lap 21 the front runners pit and I was able to pass them all.
Gran Turismo® 7_20230205135203.jpg

On lap 22 the leader pits which allow me to take the lead back.
Gran Turismo® 7_20230205135343.jpg

Now with less then 5 minutes to go I have to try and hold off 2nd and the rest which are now less then 2 seconds behind, good thing was there was a sector where I was faster then the ai and I could take a 3 second lead for a short time at least.

Race results.
Gran Turismo® 7_20230205135851.jpg

Video of the last 2 laps.

In conclusion what a race I'm gonna make some changes to all the cars make sure I have all in the same gear ratio and aero setup.

:)

Last edited:
I'm running a Mazda Roadster cup: 30minutes, tire wear X10, fuel wear X15.
16 cars completly equals, 530pp
4 car (one for me), 550pp
The difference is just the turbo

The 4 550pp starting at P10, P11, P12, P20 (me)
A was expecting these cars to be more competitive, instead they finished P8, P14, P17.
I was able to win because of a 1 stop strategy (fuel saving at 4). I feel that all the others made at least 2 pits.

Question:
how is AI dealing with the fuel saving? Are they always running at 1 as a fuel saving setup? Is it possible that the 550pp finished there because they had to do a one more splash compared to the 520pp?

My BoP is ready, tonight I launch my GT7 World Endurance Championship! :gtpflag:

8 rounds of 2 hours each, except Le Mans coming last with a 4 hours race and for which the points will be doubled. Daytona hosts the first race, followed by Road Atlanta, Interlagos, Fuji, Nurburgring GP, Monza, Spa, and Le Mans.

• Points are given the same way it goes actually: 25/18/15/12/10/8/6/4/2/1.
  • 20 cars into 2 categories (8 LMP1 - 12 GT).
  • Car and Team rankings.
  • A small cumulative success ballast will be applied after each race, but removed for Le Mans (6/4/2kg).
  • Qualifications = last race results, the first one at Daytona will be randomized (except for cars #12 and #13).
  • AI professionnal.
  • Boost: weak.
  • Tires wear and fuel comsumption are on 1.
  • No penalties.
  • Flags ON.
  • Launched start.
  • Damages hard.
  • Drafting realist.

Starring:
Circuit des 24 Heures du Mans__2.jpeg

Circuit des 24 Heures du Mans__3.jpeg

I will drive the #64 Corvette! :sly:

Wow, i was looking to do something similar.
Did you do the liveries yourself?

Do you mind to share the list of the car models involved?

Race finished! OMG.... Relentless.. I am... Well, I'm wet. :lol:
I'll do the summary tomorrow.

zjn
Wow, i was looking to do something similar.
Did you do the liveries yourself?

Do you mind to share the list of the car models involved?
I didn't, they are all made and shared by GT7 players. I just modified the Lola Rebellion livery since it was possible, to have a second one with the number #12 on it.

I'll share car models and BoP tomorrow if you want, but please remember it was built for Le Mans (so not for winding tracks), and for AIs (not for me as a driver).

Back