Gran Turismo 7 Launch to "Shift From 2021 to 2022"

• Thread starter GlamFM
  • 427 comments
I love car games but Poly should try something else...It must be boring for a dev at some point.

Or the devs who want to try something else could move on to somewhere else, and devs who want to work on a car game for a period can apply at Polyphony? There's nothing wrong with moving between jobs to try something new or expand your skills if that's what you're after.

https://g-media.work/archives/review-polyphony-digital.html
A review of Poly by a former dev published in February 2021, at least no crunch is a very good point!

"Before the release of the game and the exhibition of the trial version to the Tokyo Game Show, there were many overtime work and holiday work, but I was never forced to work overtime by the company or my boss."

"What I think is bad about the company, what I was dissatisfied with"
"Because the work system is quite free, it is easy to become an irregular life if it is not possible to manage it. In addition, there is only one development title, and it will take 4 to 7 years to produce, so it may be difficult to continue for a long time unless you like cars and racing games considerably."

I love car games but Poly should try something else...It must be boring for a dev at some point.

That would be kind of ridiculous, it would be like saying that a lawyer should find another career because it must get boring practicing law everyday.

They could do a lot of new things while still making another Gran Turismo game. Its by choice at the top of the company they've been making primarily the exact same game for so long.

I can't imagine it was particularly motivating for game designers and ideas people to walk out meetings after each game having been told to program the same game structure, the same events, the same UI elements over and over again.

Sure, for the 3d modellers their scope is limited, and some other areas are always going to be iterative, but everyone else, blame the people at the top.

https://g-media.work/archives/review-polyphony-digital.html
A review of Poly by a former dev published in February 2021, at least no crunch is a very good point!

"Before the release of the game and the exhibition of the trial version to the Tokyo Game Show, there were many overtime work and holiday work, but I was never forced to work overtime by the company or my boss."

"What I think is bad about the company, what I was dissatisfied with"
"Because the work system is quite free, it is easy to become an irregular life if it is not possible to manage it. In addition, there is only one development title, and it will take 4 to 7 years to produce, so it may be difficult to continue for a long time unless you like cars and racing games considerably."

As far as AAA studios go that sounds pretty good,its not perfect,still overtime,but crunch heavy studios get some very damning reviews by ex employees just take a look at other big studios and its usually an apocalypse(Rockstar,Naughty Dog,CDPR).And working on cars forever sounds pretty sweet. :cheers:

Last edited:
They could do a lot of new things while still making another Gran Turismo game. Its by choice at the top of the company they've been making primarily the exact same game for so long.

I can't imagine it was particularly motivating for game designers and ideas people to walk out meetings after each game having been told to program the same game structure, the same events, the same UI elements over and over again.

Sure, for the 3d modellers their scope is limited, and some other areas are always going to be iterative, but everyone else, blame the people at the top.
This what I was thinking. Those Devs could be happy to be working with PD, but just as unhappy that they would like a new challenge within the franchise. Maybe they don't see it happening with PD, after 25 years.

Sure, people all over the planet can pick up and leave. However, many people stay, hoping something will change. Even those with good ideas for change. Yet, some may not either chase the resources or they already have the resources, but nothing is changing.
It's all well and good to be the change. That's part of life: the choices we make.

Back