Gran Turismo 7 Launch to "Shift From 2021 to 2022"

• Thread starter GlamFM
  • 427 comments
We now PD for many years, nothing is a surprise anymore regarding their delays on their games.... GT5 delay time here we go again.... Just hoping that the game will be more polished and complete and not rushed as GT5 was (and without the stupid standard cars of GT5/GT6)
But we also know their struggles at that time, it was due to PS3 architecture. Dunno if there's another console issue for now.

But we also know their struggles at that time, it was due to PS3 architecture. Dunno if there's another console issue for now.
It wasn't just because of that. The architecture for example isn't the reason car models started taking months instead of days to produce, it was the general HD graphics jump the PS3 provided which called for far more detailed assets , and that is still a problem to this day. For all game Devs.

But we also know their struggles at that time, it was due to PS3 architecture.

Kinda, but the odd architecture of the PS3 was a known issue at the time. Other developers managed to make do and release perfectly playable games in a reasonable time frame. It just required planning and budgeting around the extra workload required, something that Polyphony as a first party Sony studio with an enormous budget was extraordinarily well placed to deal with.

The truth is that the PS3 games went poorly because the vision for them just kept stretching further and further away. They're a prime example of why "feature creep" is a legitimate thing that programmers and designers are explicitly watchful for. Making "future proof" models sounds all well and good until you realise that there's no realistic way anyone can build an optimised model of anything that won't be outdated in ten years, when it's impossible to know what additional features will be required then. And with hindsight anyone can spot that trying to build a game with a thousand cars, dynamic lighting and weather, a dynamic track creator, tie ins to Top Gear, celebrity appearances, robust online services and that runs at 1080p/60fps while featuring rally, Nascar, GT racing as well as the ordinary "upgradeable street car" style was never ever going to work cleanly.

Corners were always going to have to be cut to get that monstrosity out of the door, because it just wasn't a feasible design. See the fact that even on PS4 with lots of extra power and it supposedly being easy to program for Polyphony did not try to replicate GT5. The PS3 wasn't the issue, the design was.

Polyphony's struggles during the PS3 were essentially them getting too far ahead of themselves instead of just building one good game. Trying to be efficient and forward thinking is great, but sometimes it's actually less effective and you just have to pull your head out of the clouds and focus on the work that's in front of you.

Kinda, but the odd architecture of the PS3 was a known issue at the time. Other developers managed to make do and release perfectly playable games in a reasonable time frame. It just required planning and budgeting around the extra workload required, something that Polyphony as a first party Sony studio with an enormous budget was extraordinarily well placed to deal with.

The truth is that the PS3 games went poorly because the vision for them just kept stretching further and further away. They're a prime example of why "feature creep" is a legitimate thing that programmers and designers are explicitly watchful for. Making "future proof" models sounds all well and good until you realise that there's no realistic way anyone can build an optimised model of anything that won't be outdated in ten years, when it's impossible to know what additional features will be required then. And with hindsight anyone can spot that trying to build a game with a thousand cars, dynamic lighting and weather, a dynamic track creator, tie ins to Top Gear, celebrity appearances, robust online services and that runs at 1080p/60fps while featuring rally, Nascar, GT racing as well as the ordinary "upgradeable street car" style was never ever going to work cleanly.

Corners were always going to have to be cut to get that monstrosity out of the door, because it just wasn't a feasible design. See the fact that even on PS4 with lots of extra power and it supposedly being easy to program for Polyphony did not try to replicate GT5. The PS3 wasn't the issue, the design was.

Polyphony's struggles during the PS3 were essentially them getting too far ahead of themselves instead of just building one good game. Trying to be efficient and forward thinking is great, but sometimes it's actually less effective and you just have to pull your head out of the clouds and focus on the work that's in front of you.

I think that GT7 will be both very big content wise as GT4-GT5 in terms of variety but also polished in the content it will get. This can be the definitive gran turismo game

I could see holiday 2022 being the more likely window, though I don't think the first half of 2022 is out of the question, either, as I recall GT4 being released in February of 2005. At any rate, I really hope that we get more info this summer.

Well yeah GT5 tries to be many things at once and the trying to do it all at once isn't an optimal approach that it’s impossible to stay on top of all of the things at once and it overwhelms and ‘too much’. Although it's not the best design, probably without the PS3 issue I can still think those features there like track creator, online services, etc. may be better realized, and the one that I think wouldn't be completed is all cars at same qualities, but without PS3 issues there may be more premium cars other than 200-ish at the start. The standard cars are only PS2 port, where Premium cars are the ones they worked, so PD did similarly to GTS regarding cars, only a bit lower than GT5's Premium cars at the start with 168 amount to 200-ish.

But playable is subjective, this is the standard comparing one thing and another stuff, between companies this time. You may've said that you're the snarky and negative type, but doesn't mean being negative is always insightful/right or vice-versa. This kind of practice is nonsense, this is just a black-or-white view, anyone is different, including companies where they're composed of a number of people (and it's not only "enormous budget" that differentiates company but number of people, or the individuals, locations either the company or the work, tools, role, etc.), and the process of learning and progress are not straight trajectories. And it's not like being unfairly critical (and this is about something that obviously can be much improved) is a guarantee for this situation to change compared to being lenient other than to satisfy yourself without thinking that you're the one can be wrong too, professionals aren't perfect either. Plus for GT7 now, Turn 10 with new Forza Motorsport's progress was began a bit later than GT, and the progress isn't heard right now like GT7.

It is the complicated effort to scan a whole car and the efforts of the modeling team/outsourcers. @Samus was right that the console itself is not a factor on how quickly they can be built, but this boils down to the limitations on the quality of these assets based on the graphics engine because it's a 3D asset. But not the PS3's CPU or whatever that chip was called that made it so hard to develop games in there.

Take note that before, Polyphony did not even consider any outsourcing which is why the number of premium cars on the PS3 era were very few and that a lot of Standards were not fully restored.

It was said that to build a new car from scratch on the PS3 would take six months of manpower to fully complete, and it was no different on the PS4 era as well despite a more detailed graphics engine. Things probably sped up thanks to outsourcing.

With outsourcing (who knows who and how many to such an extent Polyphony are outsourcing modeling work), I remember hearing it would take three months instead of six for at least two cars that are known to be outsourced, such as the Porsche 911 Carrera RS Club Sport and the Toyota Tundra TRD Pro.

On the PS5, in which the graphics engine for GT7 is nearly the same (save for ray-tracing), I doubt the process and time it takes to create those cars will change.

Last edited:
PD were reluctant to take a step back with GT5 after the success of GT4. They didn't want to reduce the amount of content and start fresh like they did for GT3. This was a mistake, and I feel as though the game could've been more refined in all areas if the development was more focused. They were too ambitious and that let the game down in a few areas. However there's no point dwelling on that, because PD learnt from this with GT Sport. I know it's not the typical GT game and it does leave a lot to be desired on the gameplay front, but it's a new base to build on for the future. It had to be done for the good of the franchise.

Last edited:
PD were reluctant to take a step back with GT5 after the success of GT4. They didn't want to reduce the amount of content and start fresh like they did for GT3. This was a mistake, and I feel as though the game could've been more refined in all areas if the development was more focused. They were too ambitious and that let the game down in a few areas. However there's no point dwelling on that, because PD learnt from this with GT Sport. I know it's not the typical GT game and it does leave a lot to be desired on the gameplay front, but it's a new base to build on for the future. It had to be done for the good of the franchise.
When you say "gameplay", you mean content, right? Because the gameplay, while not at all perfect, doesn't leave all that much to be desired, in my opinion.

Btw, I noticed the Monty Python quote in your signature. I'm reading the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell and if you're at all interested in Arthurian stuff, I'd strongly recommend it.

I could see holiday 2022 being the more likely window, though I don't think the first half of 2022 is out of the question, either, as I recall GT4 being released in February of 2005. At any rate, I really hope that we get more info this summer.

Middle to Late 2022 is most likely, just hoping to not have it delayed to 2023 :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I think we'll get a better idea when the media campaign starts to ramp up, like if we hopefully get a new trailer this summer.

Unlikely, unless it's planned to release very early in 2022. The promo/media campaigns from Sony usually start 5-6 months before release, 7 at the most. So if they started this summer with GT7 that would mean January/February release. Which is obviously possible, but history suggests unlikely.

Horizon Forbidden West should give you an idea. The next time we hear about that with a new trailer and such will most likely be about 5-6 months before it releases. Not more. We're already at the most 9 months out if there is no delay and nothing yet.

Unlikely, unless it's planned to release very early in 2022. The promo/media campaigns from Sony usually start 5-6 months before release, 7 at the most. So if they started this summer with GT7 that would mean January/February release. Which is obviously possible, but history suggests unlikely.

Horizon Forbidden West should give you an idea. The next time we hear about that with a new trailer and such will most likely be about 5-6 months before it releases. Not more. We're already at the most 9 months out if there is no delay and nothing yet.
When has a far-off release date prevented GT from releasing new promotional material?

When has a far-off release date prevented GT from releasing new promotional material?

In the past, yes, but not any more. After the initial announcement of a game being in development Sony tend to have their studios stay quiet until closer to the planned release date. Also some of those past instances weren't years before release on purpose, they released trailers with a release date 6 months off then delayed a game for a year a few months later, or whatever.

Well honestly, it's what I excepted (altough refused to believe it due my personal bias), at the end considering the pandemic situation and considering that, objectively, if we watch the trailer it was already a big suspect that the game was still pretty distant to be finished or completed, I don't know how much progress they did since then but if they said so that the game will be delayed to next year, I can imagine that that the game was (at least in june) still in mid-development cycle (could be wrong, but we must take into accoun that's it's a very big game and PD is a small studio), so well.... Late 2021 is still too optimistic I guess, I don't think we will see GT7 before middle 2022 or even late 2022, which is more likely. But at the end, we will get it when will be time for it, still better than rushing an unfinished game as it was since GT5, so whatewer.... We will enjoy when it comes. Patience is for the strong, as my uncle always say to me :cheers:

however, we will wait updates and news about the game in the coming months, as always

My 2 cents
I feel it will be late 2022 as well. More likely a November Christmas release. Just my own opinion with no facts to back it up.

Poorly is, that there wasn’t an official delay message until yet, without the interview. In the vids on YouTube for example, still standing 2021!

Last edited:
Probably because there was never an official release date direct from PD, either. Just rough timeframes given by Sony PR departments in broad video trailers.

Last edited:
Probably because there was never an official release date direct from PD, either. Just rough timeframes given by Sony PR departments in broad video trailers.
As others wrote, Sony makes the communication for PD? So a probably release date would come from Sony, too?!

As others wrote, Sony makes the communication for PD? So a probably release date would come from Sony, too?!

Yes but what I'm saying is there wasn't a widespread date announced from Sony or PD for the game. There wasn't one on any websites, there wasn't one at the end of the official trailer for the game. The only place dates ever appeared was in those generic trailers with other games.

So for 95% of people, they didn't even know it had a release date, and as such, there is no need for a big official announcement of delay.

Yes but what I'm saying is there wasn't a widespread date announced from Sony or PD for the game. There wasn't one on any websites, there wasn't one at the end of the official trailer for the game. The only place dates ever appeared was in those generic trailers with other games.

So for 95% of people, they didn't even know it had a release date, and as such, there is no need for a big official announcement of delay.

My guess is that Sony/Polyphony don't issue release dates because they postpone GT series' games so often. If they don't issue a release date Polyphony will never be late but I am also guessing they don't sell as many early consoles either. I know I won't be buying a PS5 until I can put my hands on GT7. If that doesn't happen until 2025 so be it, maybe it will be on sale for $199 by that time. :)

When a delay can be announced in February for the next year, you know Poly has a lot of work...
At best: second quarter of 2022. GT is too big to miss Christmas, so no reason for Sony to release it in February.

When a delay can be announced in February for the next year, you know Poly has a lot of work...
At best: second quarter of 2022. GT is too big to miss Christmas, so no reason for Sony to release it in February.
As many said, I think the point now is, GT will come out or shortly after, when PSVR2 will launch. I can’t imagine, this will come early next year, too.PSVR would be anything for a summer-event and than a release in the second half in my opinion. The first generation got released in October, btw. So probably a holiday-gift-window.

Last edited:
Unwise to make assumptions. After the first PSVR was announced and released people were certain GT would make big use of it, in the end they did the absolute bare minimum.

If Kaz doesn't want to do heavy VR stuff, he won't, and as such release of the game won't relate to PSVR2. Which isn't even guaranteed for 2022 itself any way, all they said was not 2021.

I can't imagine how much more content they're trying to pack into GT7 that would delay it over a year. They must be waiting for something or trying to compliment a Sony peripheral

Back