'Gran Turismo' is coming to the BIG screen!

Sony Fires Up 'Gran Turismo' Movie With 'Fifty Shades' Producers - The Wrap

With Universal, DreamWorks and Legendary all laying claim to "fast car" franchises, Sony is wheeling its own onto the track, putting a feature adaptation of the bestselling video game "Gran Turismo" into development, TheWrap has learned.

"Fifty Shades of Grey" producers Mike De Luca and Dana Brunetti will steer the action movie, which is based on the popular Sony PlayStation game by Kazunori Yamauchi and Polyphony Studios.

"Gran Turismo" is the single biggest franchise for PlayStation, having sold 70 million copies worldwide. Sony execs Elizabeth Cantillon, DeVon Franklin and Hannah Minghella will oversee the project for the studio.

With "The Fast and the Furious" becoming Universal's biggest franchise, other studios are waving the green flag. DreamWorks' "Need for Speed" stars Aaron Paul of "Breaking Bad" fame, while Legendary is eyeing Juan Carlos Fresnadillo and Simon Crane to direct "Hot Wheels."

Like those movies, "Gran Turismo" also has name-brand recognition and will seek to distinguish itself from competitors in the marketplace. The newest game in the series, "Gran Turismo 6," is expected to be available for the PlayStation 3 later this year.

Unless it captures the spirit of GT Academy's "human drama" in some way I honestly think this would ruin the franchise. Sony must be out of their minds to even come up with such a ludicrous idea.

Last edited:
One man had a dream. His dream... to drive all of the Skylines.

Coming to theaters Fall 2014.

And there was already a perfect Gran Turismo movie. Jackie Chan made it in 1995.

No other details have been revealed at this stage, but Gran Turismo will join Dreamworks' upcoming Need for Speed movie, Legendary's Hot Wheels and of course, Universal's existing Fast & the Furious franchise in the race to be King of the 'fast cars, fast women' genre. Not that there are many fast women in Polyphony's Gran Turismo; it will be interesting to see how a somewhat dry driving simulator can be translated into a thrilling action-packed car movie.

Of course, whether De Luca and Brunetti will inject some erotic romance into the picture remains to be seen.
If this happens, i.e they turn the "dry" simulator/nerdfest we all love into a stupid Hollywood flick, I do expect Kazunori Yamauchi to commit sepukku in absolute shame. After slicing some necks at Sony...

I'm imagining a racer building up from street races to perhaps F1 or something other such as LMP racing. I could be wrong but that's Gran Turismo for me.

What made Thunderbolt a Gran Turismo movie Tornado?

For this new movie I don't see how they will do it but I sense I won't want to watch it.

I imagine this film will have as much in common with the original source material as the Super Mario Brothers movie. Just as awful too probably. :lol:

Will it be a GT movie, or a GT academy movie. I find the latter to be the best bet since it has the "human drama"

NFS and now Gran Turismo...maybe Mario Kart has a new future lol

It'll probably star a GT Academy driver who started out as a lowly gamer on a couch that honed his driving skills and became a professional.

Will it be a GT movie, or a GT academy movie. I find the latter to be the best bet since it has the "human drama"

That's what I'm thinking. It will probably be about some kid who played GT from the beginning, hears about GT Academy and suddenly wants to use his favorite racing game series as a gateway to becoming a real race car driver. He'll practice his butt off, run into trials, blah, blah, blah. That's all I can imagine this movie being that wouldn't be an utter embarrassment.

I'm honestly speechless to this news though. Gran Turismo is last thing I would imagine to base a movie on. Heck, I'd rather see a Forza Horizon movie. At least that game already has characters and story, as simple as it is.

I don't even know how to feel about this.... I'm kind of skeptical about it.

Although I'm kinda curious to see where this is heading. Hopefully it will be more like Gone in 60 Seconds, Bullitt, Vanishing Point or Cannon Ball Run rather than the Fast and Furious (it's not a bad franchise. It's just too... I don't know). Personally I think those movies represent car enthusiasts a bit better, and that's what Gran Turismo is all about.

Still, I don't know how the world of Gran Turismo could be represented in the silver screen.

Make the car scenes composed of the best replays in GT history with some narration to boot, whether it be races/hotlaps/license tests, etc. Kaz, Lucas, and Translator-san all make a cameo appearance. Daiki Kasho composing the OST.

Now THAT wouldn't be so bad :sly:

The only thing I would like to know is this:

How the hell did that awful 50 Shades of Grey book get anyone to sign off on a movie treatment?

How the hell did that awful 50 Shades of Grey book get anyone to sign off on a movie treatment?

Because it sold. Sadly, it's the way the world goes round nowadays: Something can be impossibly crappy, but if it sells it's fine. It's the same reason behind this "Gran Turismo Movie": Sony wants to milk a title's name for all it's worth. I'm confused though, with all the franchises Sony has, why choosing one that has NO storyline at all? I mean, the closest to a character we've ever had is a customizable avatar and he doesn't even have a face and has zilch dialogue! A Gran Turismo movie sounds just stupid to me. Why not an "Infamous" movie for instance? Or a "God of War" movie?

Executives this days... :rolleyes:

And, by the way, if they're going on with this I wish they add the series staple soundtracks and most representative cars. And Daiki Kasho, loads of :censored:ing Daiki Kasho.

Is this real?
Of all the games in the world with great stories, they chose one that has no story whatsoever.
I wonder if the movie will have damage. Or the Red Bull cars. Or will it be a Nissan only movie?
I can't wait for GT: The movie: Prologue to come out...

Probably for much the same reason GT would be optioned out; it's sold a lot. To an industry as empty on new ideas as Hollywood, that's certainly appealing.

Well, since nobody else has said it yet; how long before they announce the first delay?

GRAN TURISMO IS GETTING A MOVIE!!?? *Grabs every driving games and throws them out the window* I need space to put the all mighty king in its throne. :D

If it's based on the game, it'll take an hour to get through the opening credits and then we'll all get booted from the lobby.

CorvetteConquer
It'll probably star a GT Academy driver who started out as a lowly gamer on a couch that honed his driving skills and became a professional.
I was thinking something like that would be pretty good.

Back