Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
I see a lot of events sponsored by Gran Turismo (VLN, Super GT, Goodwood, Pikes Peak...) but what is the point if you don't have any product to sell? And please GT6 doesn't exist for most of the people.
Poly tries to make its brand "prestigious" I think, for me it's just a big waste of money.

I see a lot of events sponsored by Gran Turismo (VLN, Super GT, Goodwood, Pikes Peak...) but what is the point if you don't have any product to sell? And please GT6 doesn't exist for most of the people.
Poly tries to make its brand "prestigious" I think, for me it's just a big waste of money.

Exactly how you said about the prestige of it... Gran Turismo carries a name in most racing communities and it flashes it around any chance it gets. It would be nice if it had the products to accompany it though

GT does a good job of generating brand awareness in the gaming world with non-sim racers and in the real racing world as well. Kaz is held in high regard in both areas as is the game, even if it doesn't live up to our lofty sim racer standards.

GT does a good job of generating brand awareness in the gaming world with non-sim racers and in the real racing world as well. Kaz is held in high regard in both areas as is the game, even if it doesn't live up to our lofty sim racer standards.
I'm curious how much of this is actually true, and how much simply appears that way cuz PR.
I would have to try and argue most of the people he is impressing aren't seeing the whole picture of GT, whether they don't play much, or at all, or they don't know enough about racing games to know what, or if anything about the game is that impressive.

Perhaps good graphics and a good feeling through a wheel out of the box are key in this regard.

Cuz the actual physics in GT6 suck.

Because you know, a racing simulator got to be hard in order to be "real".
Correction: A racing sim got to be "real", to be real.

Would you like to start with my 215mph Viper ACR?
How about the fact you can run faster laps in almost every car in the game with the ride height as high as possible?
Aerodynamics and downforce? Particularly how it affects top speed. (see Viper ACR)
When was the last time you heard "chirp chirp chirp chirp" from locking wheels with ABS?
We can go deeper.... If you dare.

I have enjoyed GT greatly over the years, don't get me wrong, but a great sim it is not. It has a very lifelike feel on first impression though, and if you don't push too hard, it stays feeling pretty real. But it's not.

Would you like to start with my 215mph Viper ACR?
How about the fact you can run faster laps in almost every car in the game with the ride height as high as possible?
Aerodynamics and downforce? Particularly how it affects top speed. (see Viper ACR)
When was the last time you heard "chirp chirp chirp chirp" from locking wheels with ABS?
We can go deeper.... If you dare.

And it says something that only Gran Turismo has these kinds of problems.

And it says something that only Gran Turismo has these kinds of problems.
No, those problems being present for up to 15 years says something. Many of them are very easy fixes that are completely ignored, or "all new" and work nearly the same.

I think the main thing it points at is exactly what I said. If the game looks great and feels great on relatively quick impressions, minor details that make (or break) the game are almost needless.
They can advertise an all new suspension working with K&W, tell everyone all about it, but since nobody but really serious players check stuff out in depth, nobody has a clue that the suspension doesn't work right.

On paper, GT6 is an incredibly fresh game, marketing executives and suits in general would obviously be wowed by it, it all sounds so good. Looks good too. Look! They sponsered a race! Wow!

It's great that they've become so involved in the real world, but it's a bloody shame that seems to mean the end of GT games being good in any non-marketing area.
They (PD) will always be ready for the latest tech for you to buy though! (sarcastic smiley here)
End rant/GTS foresight...:)

Because you know, a racing simulator got to be hard in order to be "real".
One car,one track,two different drivers.

The driver in the first video is an amateur.When he drives,the car is stable and easy to drive but he does not drive the car on the limit.

The second driver is a professional.He is pushing the car on the limit,and the car is not that stable and easy to drive.He have to make a lot of corrections with the steering wheel,and he is five seconds faster per lap.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough"

On the point of GTS becoming the pinnacle of Hardcore Racing Fans, I'm sceptical. It's a console game that sells to the millions. They indeed spend lots of resource to maintain that mass market status. If your that picky with the physics your possibly as demanding for your peripherals, and these are either un or unproperly supported on the platform. PC sound like a better route both in hardware and software solutions for that infinitesimal portion of the audience.

Disclaimer: This personal opinion in no way means the game doesn't need or will not improve either.

On the point of GTS becoming the pinnacle of Hardcore Racing Fans, I'm sceptical. It's a console game that sells to the millions. They indeed spend lots of resource to maintain that mass market status. If your that picky with the physics your possibly as demanding for your peripherals, and these are either un or unproperly supported on the platform. PC sound like a better route both in hardware and software solutions for that infinitesimal portion of the audience.

Disclaimer: This personal opinion in no way means the game doesn't need or will not improve either.

I'm skeptical too, but I'm holding out hope that the GTS strand will have 'proper' physics, and the mainline GT7 (if this is how it pans out) has the option to turn 'proper' physics on, if you want to.

I think this would pretty much please everyone.

Sooooo late March, still not a peep.
At the moment the continued silence on GTS since it was announced makes me think that march is definitely not the month. I know that the recent new VGT announcement ignited a new hype train but this overall silence implies there's still a lot of work to do.

Just to be clear, I'm not asking GTS or GT7 to be a perfect sim, I was just stating GT6 is not.
It's those small nitpicky ideas that would make the game better for casuals and diehards alike.
Things like proper painting, aero parts for more than 5% of the car roster, not arbitrary giant deck wings. Livery editor, game difficulty adjustements, etc.
Not moon missions.

I don't think It's too much to ask them to fix the ride height glitch from GT5-6 either. I don't want to set up race cars like monster trucks or be at a disadvantage because I didn't set my car up like one.

Well 'bout that statement on GT site:

"best physics" - so better than Assetto Corsa ?

"best sound" - so better than Dirt Rally ?

"best graphics" - so better than PCars ?

These will all be on PS4 so the comparisons will be easy. Really hard to believe in first two. Don't get me wrong - a package like this, like they are describing it ? Mind blowing! But yeah I'm super skeptical.

Regarding those statements, @Imari I'm curious if the original Japanese is so definitive?

最新のテクノロジーとプラットフォームで、グラフィック、物理エンジン、そしてサウンドがかつてないほどリアルに進化するのは当然のこと。加えて本作ではドライビングゲームの遊び方が大きく変革します。

それは「モータースポーツを生まれ変わらせる」というビジョンです。

Regarding those statements, @Imari I'm curious if the original Japanese is so definitive?

最新のテクノロジーとプラットフォームで、グラフィック、物理エンジン、そしてサウンドがかつてないほどリアルに進化するのは当然のこと。加えて本作ではドライビングゲームの遊び方が大きく変革します。

それは「モータースポーツを生まれ変わらせる」というビジョンです。
Screenshot_20160318-142951.png

Well, here's at least the Google Translator version.

Back