Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
GTS:

222whpc5.jpg

GT6:

1114eptr.jpg

Without the b&w filter: http://abload.de/img/3332vobp.jpg

Can you explain more about adoptive tesselation, I've heard of it in the trailers but have no idea what it means

This video displays what it does:

Basically, what it's doing is "breaking up" polygons into smaller polygons, allowing for more detail. So you're probably thinking "they have the capacity to run the large amount of polygons, why have the lower-poly models?" - Think about a car far in the distance. It may only be taking up a few pixels on your screen, but the game is still rendering all several 100k polygons it has, and therefore using just as much processing power to render as it would if the car was right beside you - unless you're running adaptive tesselation. With tesselation, it scales the poly count based on location to optimize visual fidelity of the model while at the same time conserving processing power. If you go to 1:08, this trailer somewhat accurately shows what the wireframe model does in real time:

Thing is, you can split squares/rectangles/quadrilaterals into triangles pretty easily, but further splitting up a triangle becomes difficult and inefficient, especially if that triangle is already dynamicly shaped. A lot of this (as far as I understand) is parametrics, and I'm not sure how to explain much more without going into a math lecture. I think there's more examples and analogies I can give but I'll leave it at this for now.

Think about a car far in the distance. It may only be taking up a few pixels on your screen, but the game is still rendering all several 100k polygons it has, and therefore using just as much processing power to render as it would if the car was right beside you - unless you're running adaptive tesselation.

That's why traditionally (and in pretty much every other game) different level of detail models are created and I'm pretty sure that's still how it works in GT6. By far not all cars are compatible with tesselation and there's a lot of Premium cars that switch to odd looking low level of detail when they are still very close. e.g. odd black parts or shapes on the car and strange light glows. I never noticed LOD switches being as apparent in GT5.

Adaptive tesselation only helped GT6 in photo travel, when taking close up photos.

I'm just thinking, how prominently did they publicly announce a 2016 release date for the full game? I'm thinking not very much, right? The official website gives no date for the full game, only the beta. The video doesn't mention a date. The PS blog does say the game is coming in 2016 but technically if the beta comes, then that is the game in one form.

What I'm getting at is they could easily push it back to 2017 without too much talk of "delays". Obviously I hope that isn't the case, but we could indeed get to E3 and they say "Beta available tomorrow, full game March 2017"

Can't see them putting out a specific month, maybe a tentative year, most likely "soon"

If the beta is ready for spring then they would surely know a firm release date by now for the release. For some reason they don't want to share that date with us so maybe it's no where near ready. That would concur with the journalists statement.

On the other hand betas are normally for stress testing online etc and full releases are sometime not far off. So when it does drop the full game may not be far off.

The amount of updates I endured through GT5 (never bothered with 6) seemed like an ongoing beta anyway.

Don't underestimate PD.

What GT6 could do with little touch up like mid tone and contrast, hoping PS4 would allow better lighting so these touch up won't be necessary and these kind of shots are what the gameplay does, maybe even more realistic/better. The GT5/6 premium details ( LOD ) are more than enough IMO for PS4, a full 1080p may improve more as PS3 was not capable of native 1080p.

Willow Springs International Raceway - Big Willow_186.jpg

Special Stage Route X_10.jpg

Willow Springs International Raceway - Big Willow_113.jpg

Willow Springs International Raceway - Big Willow_52.jpg

Red Bull Ring_13.jpg

Goodwood Hillclimb_21.jpg

As long as the PS4 sells like cupcakes, than I doubt we're gonna see GTS coming anytime soon! People who are getting hyped about GTS have already bought PS4. And Sony or PD are gonna milk the cow for all its worth. Maybe they're not gonna release their biggest selling title until they're satisfied with all the PS4 sales, even though the sales are pretty high!

As long as the PS4 sells like cupcakes, than I doubt we're gonna see GTS coming anytime soon! People who are getting hyped about GTS have already bought PS4. And Sony or PD are gonna milk the cow for all its worth. Maybe they're not gonna release their biggest selling title until they're satisfied with all the PS4 sales, even though the sales are pretty high!

Uuuuu another intriguing conspiracy theory.

But it makes no sense. GT is a system seller, always has been. Not releasing it on purpose for a reason I can't quite fathom doesn't make sense.

The only thing I could think of that might make any sense, if only a tiny bit, is they're waiting for a noticeable dip in sales. Then GTS would bring the sales back up again until they release the PS4k or 4.5 or whatever this new thing is.

Speaking of that, if GTS comes out only on that and not the base PS4... oh man, the things I would do and say..

Speaking of that, if GTS comes out only on that and not the base PS4... oh man, the things I would do and say..

The things I would do to kaz...
I'm not really concerned about that, it would be more logical for VR and 4k to use that kind of technology but for us mortals base ps4 should be enough.

So GT6 looks better than this footage everyone is calling next-gen GT?

I suspect that grabbing an image directly from GT6's Photo Mode will deliver an image of much sharper and cleaner visual quality than one from a compressed YouTube video. From the very little we can tell from the two, the new GT-R looks better, as the lighting looks superior, the reflections on the grille and bumper are much clearer, and the car overall looks less "plasticky", if that makes sense.

If June is the next time we hear news I doubt that the news will be very good.

I probably have on a dissonant opinion here, but I don’t see why this would necesseraly be interpreted as bad news. A legitimate game unveil at E3 with a synchronized Public Beta release would be a rather forceful ignition for a global HypeTrain. Enough time to validate the game engine (assuming no major failure a public beta can't be that far of a release candidate), add another wagon at TGS mid september (new exclusive content/fade/date) and potentially still hit a holiday season release. Agreed, this may sound overly optimistic, but considering we have no clue on the current game status it’s still in the scope of possibilities.

But it makes no sense. GT is a system seller, always has been. Not releasing it on purpose for a reason I can't quite fathom doesn't make sense.
Not like it used to be. I bought my ps2 and ps3 because of GT but my ps4 decision was more complicated due to the wheel situation. At the end I got the ps4 mainly because the TM alcantara wheel and pcars where out. If I didn't need a new wheel for this console generation and no 3er party racing game was out, it would have been FM5 (and announced FM6) in the xbox vs not even an announced game (fall last year) in the ps4; no contest (sorry but games like FMH and drive club don't really interest me)
And the whole racing game declining sells thing

But it makes no sense. GT is a system seller...

I wouldn't be too sure about this, for two reasons.

First, Gran Turismo is now infamous for its zombie AI, vacuum cleaner engine sounds, long and delayed development periods, lack of a livery editor, and standard cars. These things together have made the game the biggest joke on its largest unofficial fan site and the internet at large. Find me any article or video related to GT where these flaws haven't been mentioned/discussed/mocked in some capacity.
Compare this to something like Forza Motorsport which never had any major missteps.

Second, sales numbers have dropped by a little more than half between GT5 and GT6.

GT5: 11,940,000
GT6: 4,880,000

I don't really think this drop is because it came when the PS4 released since I would think (hope) people would buy up a game if it was good regardless of which system it was on. In fact, PD now have two strikes since many consider GT6 to be worse than GT5, especially considering that it took two years for the game to receive its most anticipated feature, course maker. And even when it did arrive, it turned out to be a tablet app. A fact that PD never mentioned until it was released (this was the point where I've had enough).

So combine GT's damaged reputation and the seemingly related drop in sales, then add the competition on top, and I'm a little confused as to why it could still be a system seller. At the very least it is no longer as potent as it was on PS2.

Edit: The list I had here was a little much, and not really related to the argument.

Last edited:
Anyone else find it a little creepy that someone would have that kind of stuff available within the blink of an eye!

One of the dark sides to the internet unfortunately. :ill: Everything is recorded and preserved, including all my stuff.

Maybe I should go and delete that list in that post I made some time ago, just so that it won't be so easy to bring up the list again.

Latest Posts

Back