Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
Gran_Turismo_5_Grafik_Fail_14.jpg

2D Tree Walls.

383a5d5ff6f6912fabc1241497bfe215-650-80.jpg

Copy/Paste Trees.

maxresdefault.jpg

What's wrong with that? ! Wait, is that Solid Snake running through those trees? :sly:

:eek: Oh snap! I just noticed the GT3 Aston Martin

What concerns me about Gran Turismo is, not the fact it is taking so long, but it's the dearth of news. What is happening to Gran Turismo 7 and does that game even exist? Also, what is happening with GT Sport? No news can can be bad, but it can also be good, as long as the end results transcend everything. Polyphony should at least release some more trailers, just to start to get the excitement built up.

What concerns me about Gran Turismo is, not the fact it is taking so long, but it's the dearth of news. What is happening to Gran Turismo 7 and does that game even exist? Also, what is happening with GT Sport? No news can can be bad, but it can also be good, as long as the end results transcend everything. Polyphony should at least release some more trailers, just to start to get the excitement built up.
Whenever GTS releases, I think you should expect at least another 3 years for GT7, it's not gonna be a quick turnaround.

So far we've only seen glimpses of the Nurburgring and Brands Hatch, you'd think that by this point they'd have at least a handful of tracks made for PS4 to choose from for trailers. It's pretty concerning, especially when a track like Brands takes other studios (Kunos, T10) only 6 months to make from scratch for new gen, and PD had the core assets, the laserscan and the photos all taken for GT6 even earlier. I just wonder if they're holding back on purpose or there is a legit problem with asset production and the high quality bar of this gen has gotten the best of them. When other franchises are pushing 30+ tracks already I wonder if PD can keep up.

Thinking about the exponential graphical improvement between GT1-GT3-GT5 and I wonder if the GTS footage from the PGS trailer is representative then it might be that PD aren't happy with the jump or the frame rate isn't up to scratch. If the slightly more powerful PS4K is real then PD might just wait for the boost.

I'm really starting to think that the talk of a more powerful PS4, first party devs struggling to get games done and being delayed or even cancelled (Santa Monica's game) is linked to some degree?

Thinking about the exponential graphical improvement between GT1-GT3-GT5 and I wonder if the GTS footage from the PGS trailer is representative then it might be that PD aren't happy with the jump or the frame rate isn't up to scratch. If the slightly more powerful PS4K is real then PD might just wait for the boost.

I'm really starting to think that the talk of a more powerful PS4, first party devs struggling to get games done and being delayed or even cancelled (Santa Monica's game) is linked to some degree?

I'm still not sure about the more powerful PS4. It'll be just a mini revision, with a 4k output and some of the PSVR breakout box stuff inside it.

I doubt if they're waiting for that. It's just more of a chronically slow dev team and an equally chronic inability to meet targets or communicate with the outside world in any meaningful fashion.

Then he won't be happy with that and will wait for the PS5. It would be a never ending loop with Kaz, he needs to learn how to create games for the console he has like everyone else, not the one he wants.

So far we've only seen glimpses of the Nurburgring and Brands Hatch, you'd think that by this point they'd have at least a handful of tracks made for PS4 to choose from for trailers. It's pretty concerning, especially when a track like Brands takes other studios (Kunos, T10) only 6 months to make from scratch for new gen, and PD had the core assets, the laserscan and the photos all taken for GT6 even earlier. I just wonder if they're holding back on purpose or there is a legit problem with asset production and the high quality bar of this gen has gotten the best of them. When other franchises are pushing 30+ tracks already I wonder if PD can keep up.
Arguably that's what happened with GT5 and 6, so it wouldn't surprise me. I think they got pretty comfortable not having competition, and they seem unprepared since they've gotten competition.

Adding further fire to speculation but feels notable enough to add to the discussion:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-ps4-delivers-ultra-high-definition-resolution-/1100-6436054/

WSJ Report indicates Sony is working on a more powerful PS4 that will bring "Ultra High Definition Resolution" graphics to Sony's system capabilities. Now, obviously this is purely a thought but perhaps PD have started pointing GTS toward the 'PS4K' as some sort of launch title that will push the want for a more powerful PS4. There aren't many Sony 1st party games that would give it a selling push so imagining GTS would be the primary show-off title for the technology seems entirely possible.

Christ, outside of Gran Turismo I can't think of any other exclusive titles you could use to generate interest for this thing (if it's real).

Adding further fire to speculation but feels notable enough to add to the discussion:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-ps4-delivers-ultra-high-definition-resolution-/1100-6436054/

WSJ Report indicates Sony is working on a more powerful PS4 that will bring "Ultra High Definition Resolution" graphics to Sony's system capabilities. Now, obviously this is purely a thought but perhaps PD have started pointing GTS toward the 'PS4K' as some sort of launch title that will push the want for a more powerful PS4. There aren't many Sony 1st party games that would give it a selling push so imagining GTS would be the primary show-off title for the technology seems entirely possible.

Christ, outside of Gran Turismo I can't think of any other exclusive titles you could use to generate interest for this thing (if it's real).
It's real, what is it exactly, is unknown. The "GT7 in 4k" thread has good information on why GTS won't be 4k. (it may come with a more powerful PS4.5 or PS4k though)

It's real, what is it exactly, is unknown. The "GT7 in 4k" thread has good information on why GTS won't be 4k. (it may come with a more powerful PS4.5 or PS4k though)
Yep, that's exactly why I said it may be used for a more powerful PS4 rather than 4K(Just used the 4K name since it sounds the best :lol:).

I REALLY can't see Sony alienating the current PS4 ownership by releasing a more powerful version for gaming and having games appear in two significantly different qualities. Original owners would rightly feel jipped, and specifically if a developer like PD never released a game on the original alone, waiting for the new version, would be a cop out. That's basically telling them they don't matter, they only care about having even better hardware.

They've always released new versions of their consoles mid-cycle in the past but they've never given the newer model a significant performance boost. It'd be madness, IMO, when you've got such a strong position in the market.

That's why I think a machine that is exactly the same for games but capable for 4k media and 4k Blu-Ray seems much more likely.

I REALLY can't see Sony alienating the current PS4 ownership by releasing a more powerful version for gaming and having games appear in two significantly different qualities. Original owners would rightly feel jipped, and specifically if a developer like PD never released a game on the original alone, waiting for the new version, would be a cop out. That's basically telling them they don't matter, they only care about having even better hardware.

They've always released new versions of their consoles mid-cycle in the past but they've never given the newer model a significant performance boost. It'd be madness, IMO, when you've got such a strong position in the market.

That's why I think a machine that is exactly the same for games but capable for 4k media and 4k Blu-Ray seems much more likely.
But there is a lot of talk about console's probability of starting a new semi-PC-like trend of updating hardware, 9 year life cycles are history for certain. From what I've read, a semi-decent upgrade to the hardware is reasonably possible. For both the PS4.5 and XBOX ONE POINT FIVE (joke name)

Then he won't be happy with that and will wait for the PS5. It would be a never ending loop with Kaz, he needs to learn how to create games for the console he has like everyone else, not the one he wants.

I really, really hope that, if this upgraded PS4 rumour is true, it's not what Kaz & Co are waiting on. So many diehards pointed to the PS3 as "limiting the dream" or whatever, and truly believed the PS4 would solve all the problems GT's 5 and 6 have (even though a good chunk of their issues are game design problems, not necessarily console power ones). Kaz even played into that with the talk of the PS4 being a blank canvas, and how it was so much easier to develop.

Yet here we are, nearly 30 months into the PS4's lifecycle (longer than the time between PS3's launch and GT5P's release), with one scant trailer for the game. I wonder: how quickly do you think we'll start hearing "the PS4 is limiting our vision" from PD a la the PS3 generation... and how long will a similar refrain pop up amongst the fans?

I can't be alone in thinking there really doesn't need to be a huge jump from GT6's graphics. Proper 1080p is plenty, and the Premiums (especially the ones built with AT) are certainly competitive within the genre. PD's always had a knack for lighting, so I expect some of the PS4's extra power would go towards improving that even further, along with better AI, slightly improved physics, and maybe a small bump in grid size. Otherwise, I really am hoping for smaller, more detail-oriented changes compared to the previous generation: not nearly as massive a visual change as we witnessed going from GT2 to GT3, or GT4 to 5P.

I really, really hope that, if this upgraded PS4 rumour is true, it's not what Kaz & Co are waiting on. So many diehards pointed to the PS3 as "limiting the dream" or whatever, and truly believed the PS4 would solve all the problems GT's 5 and 6 have (even though a good chunk of their issues are game design problems, not necessarily console power ones). Kaz even played into that with the talk of the PS4 being a blank canvas, and how it was so much easier to develop.

Yet here we are, nearly 30 months into the PS4's lifecycle (longer than the time between PS3's launch and GT5P's release), with one scant trailer for the game. I wonder: how quickly do you think we'll start hearing "the PS4 is limiting our vision" from PD a la the PS3 generation... and how long will a similar refrain pop up amongst the fans?

I can't be alone in thinking there really doesn't need to be a huge jump from GT6's graphics. Proper 1080p is plenty, and the Premiums (especially the ones built with AT) are certainly competitive within the genre. PD's always had a knack for lighting, so I expect some of the PS4's extra power would go towards improving that even further, along with better AI, slightly improved physics, and maybe a small bump in grid size. Otherwise, I really am hoping for smaller, more detail-oriented changes compared to the previous generation: not nearly as massive a visual change as we witnessed going from GT2 to GT3, or GT4 to 5P.

A GT-type game seems like one of the easiest to develop, to me. I mean obviously you need the talented people to start with, but PD clearly have them. As you say they're great at lighting, perfectly adequate in terms of skill modelling 3D assets and they're also perfectly adequate at physics. Not the best, but they don't need to be, what is important is that because it's a simulator you have the same goal from day one. You don't have to decide on physics changes to suit the new game or anything like that.

It's also not like other genres where you need to potentially conceptualise a new story, new lore, new environments, totally new art and so on.

Even after all these years I still cannot fathom how they ended up with only GT5 v1.00 after 5 years. You just think in your head what you can achieve in five years, and wonder what on earth caused such problems.

What takes them so long to do anything in general and why they deliberately try to look beyond the hardware on their desk will probably forever remain a mystery.

Unless they also have FIM on board as well as the FIA and they've both agreed to parter together I can't see bikes being in GT Sport.

GT7 though, perhaps.

Interesting. I agree that we probably wouldn't see them in GT Sport, but to me this hints at a possibly of a more lenient GT 7, figuring they would allow cross class racing with Bikes and Cars.

Maybe PD are having a rethink on interiors with the VR. Could it be possible that the black interior is sub-standard using VR? Maybe PD thought they could get away without using it for those cars.

So combine GT's damaged reputation and the seemingly related drop in sales, then add the competition on top, and I'm a little confused as to why it could still be a system seller. At the very least it is no longer as potent as it was on PS2.

As flawed as GT6 was, the truth remains that none of the racing games out there came close to what GT6 did in the sales department. But it's dramatic fall from the 10 million sales standard I believe, is a symptom of a bigger problem.

I am genuinely concerned over the health of genre and we all should be. Not one "racing" game out there is setting the world on fire when it comes to sales. Based on my understanding (feel free to prove me wrong) several of them are in decline as well. Stop and think about that.

Gran Turismo's apparent decline isn't the 800 LB gorilla in the room that many of you attempt to make it to be.

Latest Posts

Back