Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
Circuit de Catalunya - Classic layout (without the chicane, and with the older corners) should be coming, by logic, as everything is done already, PD only need to place barriers in several places, should be easy and quick for them.

Also, the shortened National layout (without turns 1,2,3,4,5) should be easy and quick to do and should be coming - I repeat, by logic..... sometimes PD logic is a bit off.

Circuit de Catalunya - Classic layout (without the chicane, and with the older corners) should be coming, by logic, as everything is done already, PD only need to place barriers in several places, should be easy and quick for them.

Also, the shortened National layout (without turns 1,2,3,4,5) should be easy and quick to do and should be coming - I repeat, by logic..... sometimes PD logic is a bit off.
Should be. keyword: should.

Any hope triple screen will get support in GTS? As a former chase cam user, then bonnet cam, and now cockpit user, I really want to start enjoy the full cockpit view in GTS. But as it for now, I don't like that guessing game in close racing using cockpit cam. I don't wanna give up on PD quite right away, triple screen was featured in GT5/6, so I can't see why not now.

Last edited:
Poly at SIGGRAPH ASIA this December, the link is ready : http://www.polyphony.co.jp/publications/sa2018/

Practical HDR and Wide Color Techniques in Gran Turismo SPORT
Abstract: A consistent workflow is important to fully demonstrate the attractiveness of high-quality CG content, especially when such content uses high dynamic range (HDR) and wide color gamut (WCG) techniques. This course explains a practical workflow useful for both game developers and creators involved in HDR / Wide color content. Even though CG quality has significantly improved over the past years, final output quality is restricted by limitations of luminance and color gamut of conventional output devices such as televisions. Recently HDR and Wide color technology has expanded these limitations but it is problematic to output high quality HDR images on each device, because consistent interpretations of both hardware behavior and software specification is difficult. Therefore, it is necessary to carefully establish reliable standards for stable outputs on various devices. For that purpose, we need a consistent theory-based approach for each aspect of the workflow (asset collecting and editing, interchangeable formats, encoding, preview environment, verification) and rendering pipeline (lighting, tone mapping, etc). Using reliable standards enables us to gain robust outputs with high color reproducibility and high dynamic range accuracy. This course shares a wide range of knowledge from the basics of color science to the concrete solution used in the production of Gran Turismo SPORT, a photo realistic racing game with high quality HDR images. Participants can learn about real experience in developing HDR and WCG content.

Authors/Presenter(s): Hajime Uchimura, Polyphony Digital inc., Japan
Hajime Uchimura, Polyphony Digital inc., Japan
Kentaro Suzuki, Polyphony Digital Inc., Japan

I can't find abstract for these presentations.

-Smart Integration for Real-Time Rendering / Kentaro Suzuki / Polyphony Digital Inc
-Pipelines and Languages for the GPU / Kentaro Suzuki / Polyphony Digital Inc.

-Cloth Encounters of the Shirt Kind / Nakagawa Norio / Polyphony Digital Inc.
-Disorder Matter: From Shells to Rods and Grains /
Nakagawa Norio / Polyphony Digital Inc.

The last two presentations could be the most interesting for us. The titles come from the scientific journal ACM Transactions on Graphics for articles on the same topic. http://www.cs.columbia.edu/cg/wetcloth/frontmatter.pdf
Probably some R&D for the future of GT and probably big changes for the engine.

-Cloth Encounters of the Shirt Kind / Nakagawa Norio / Polyphony Digital Inc.
tenor.gif

as everything is done already, PD only need to place barriers in several places, should be easy and quick for them
Exactly! This is what buggers me the most. You only need objects moved around and a new AI line. I find it hard to believe they were so late they couldn't add something that supposedly simple.

PS : Can we talk about how ALL CARS use basically the same racing line? It's damn funny to see a K-car going superwide out of an easy corner when the perfect racing line for them would be way different.

The AI drivers name are fixed for the X2014 Nations Cup GT League event.

One of the AI drivers listed is K. Yamada, whose X2014 race number is 23, which makes it obvious that the guy in question is a reference to Kazuki Yamada, Polyphony Digital's Test Driver and veteran Gran Turismo player.

There is that "door opening" thing again,PD may be throwing the idea of a GTvista around the office so they are recording the door opening sounds even if the project doesn't take off.

When i say GTvista i'm comparing it to the Forzavista content from Forza.
Your avatar might get in and out of vehicles. Could happen...

Exactly! This is what buggers me the most. You only need objects moved around and a new AI line. I find it hard to believe they were so late they couldn't add something that supposedly simple.

PS : Can we talk about how ALL CARS use basically the same racing line? It's damn funny to see a K-car going superwide out of an easy corner when the perfect racing line for them would be way different.
I suppose they first add the current layout and then hopefully they add some other variants.
Yep the AI is bad, but I dont care much personally as I always race against real players, only do the offline events to get money, not to have fun

That's cool to know. However, I'm curious isn't Subaru themselves also kept 22B in their company stash or private museum as historic collection so PD could simply just ask the permission to scan the car on location? Or is that actually not quite simple as we thought?

By the way, I think the owner must be happy now knowing his 22B will live on in virtual world... :D

That's cool to know. However, I'm curious isn't Subaru themselves also kept 22B in their company stash or private museum as historic collection so PD could simply just ask the permission to scan the car on location? Or is that actually not quite simple as we thought?

By the way, I think the owner must be happy now knowing his 22B will live on in virtual world... :D

The last few times people have posted on social media about their road cars coming or being in GT they've all been private collectors, iirc. Maybe manufactures just know not to talk about this thing, or maybe PD are going to private collectors because they'd be more willing to go through the whole process. Who knows.

Last edited:
I'd love for PD to show up and scan one of my cars in my collection if I had one, that'd be really cool and could help culture myself on the whole "How are videogame cars made" thing.

Can anyone quickly explain the penalty system to me? I've barely played the game since launch, but I just thought I'd try a few random public lobbies.

I was in 3rd place with a 4 second penalty (3 seconds of which came from a guy bumping me), and the guy in 2nd had a 6 second penalty. On the final straight I was 0.73 seconds away from him. I was thinking I would finish second considering the penalties but he slammed on the brakes at the finish line and I ended up 3rd.

I'm gunna guess by slamming on his brakes at the ending he served most of his penalty before I could serve mine? Pretty silly

There is that "door opening" thing again,PD may be throwing the idea of a GTvista around the office so they are recording the door opening sounds even if the project doesn't take off.

When i say GTvista i'm comparing it to the Forzavista content from Forza.
When you pick a car in GTS, that's when the door sound occurs.

I'm gunna guess by slamming on his brakes at the ending he served most of his penalty before I could serve mine? Pretty silly

You scrub penalty off by slowing down, idea being you pick points on the track to scrub off a few tenths here and there, or find a good moment off the racing line and get rid of it asap.

The thing is it doesn't matter if you cross the line at 200mph or 2mph, and at the end of the race you know how much penalty you have to lose in total, so the last stretch is tactically the best place to scrub it off before crawling over the line.

The problem is, it is allowed but frowned upon so some people do it and some don't meaning it can be unfair. The penalty system is being updated soon (First for FIA races and then for dailys) with penalty zones that force your car to slow down at set points on track if you have a penalty. This was in response to gaming the penalty system and should at least level the playing field.

GT6

GTS

Real (2:43-)

I think the sound of 22B is cool in GTS, but isn't the GT6 one closer to the real one?

Not really: take a listen to this video:

Starting from 3:12...

Judging from the video you showed it sounds like that the 22B has the Equal Lenght header :confused: and not the Unequal lenght header which makes that rumble sound... or it could just be the video not capturing the rumble clearly.... :odd:

Last edited:
Not really: take a listen to this video:

Starting from 3:12...

Judging from the video you showed it sounds like that the 22B has the Equal Lenght header :confused: and not the Unequal lenght header which makes that rumble sound... or it could just be the video not capturing the rumble clearly.... :odd:

The real life example that he posted is a 4-door WRX STI, but not a 22B, so yeah it can be argued that it's engine doesn't have the unequal length header.

EDIT: NVM I missed the timestamp he point out, the video does show two 22B racing, but I guess it just didn't captured the audio properly(it does look like a old video, so it was probably shot with older microphones to capture the audio).

The last few times people have posted on social media about their road cars coming or being in GT they've all been private collectors, iirc. Maybe manufactures just know not to talk about this thing, or maybe PD are going to private collectors because they'd be more willing to go through the whole process. Who knows.

Good point, perhaps there is more convenience to scan private owned cars that used for daily drive rather than factory/museum collection since those cars are preserved, though I believe some car that were scanned for game were indeed factory collection. Race cars for example they are usually not privately owned and likely kept by the factory themselves, except in some cases those car were sold and bought by private collector through auctions.

F1 race on FIA nations today is a SR killer for anyone who has to deal with traffic.

I'm a SR S and I got punted off the road FIVE times by players who were either barging their way in or greatly overestimating the W08 brakes...And then there's the folks wobbling their cars around trying to deal with the snap oversteer instead of changing tyres.

If you can't handle the F1 on this game then don't ****ing drive it!

You scrub penalty off by slowing down, idea being you pick points on the track to scrub off a few tenths here and there, or find a good moment off the racing line and get rid of it asap.

The thing is it doesn't matter if you cross the line at 200mph or 2mph, and at the end of the race you know how much penalty you have to lose in total, so the last stretch is tactically the best place to scrub it off before crawling over the line.

The problem is, it is allowed but frowned upon so some people do it and some don't meaning it can be unfair. The penalty system is being updated soon (First for FIA races and then for dailys) with penalty zones that force your car to slow down at set points on track if you have a penalty. This was in response to gaming the penalty system and should at least level the playing field.
Sweet! Thanks!

I knew I had to slow but considering I was just behind him and he had his penalty still, I wanted to try and get as close as possible. I didn't think twice about him slamming the brakes at the line, but I know now. Thanks a lot!

It seems that all it cares about is that you don't interact with the landscape. Get four in the dirt or trade paint with barriers/walls and you're done.

I got a clean race bonus in a lobby last night after an accidental collision with another car that was so hard I made it overtake a third car while backwards on the infield. But I stayed on the track and didn't shave any corners or run wide at any point.
Well, I managed to do the Gr. 3 Endurance at Fuji today without going off the track at any point in the race and I still didn't get the bonus :irked: I also got stiffed on the Daily Workout car as, for some reason, it hasn't registered the mileage in the race (I have only done 1.1 miles today, apparently!) so I'm beginning to wonder if there is not also some technical reasons why the bonus isn't being awarded some times. I did make contact with a few back markers, but that involved just one proper hit (when a back marker swerved right infront of me) and a few rubs as I edged past a backmarker it a corner... and yet no bonus :( The daily workout issue is a separate thing but it is also irritating - fortunately I got the prize money and EXP for the win, but it hasn't registered the mileage.

I also got stiffed on the Daily Workout car as, for some reason, it hasn't registered the mileage in the race

This happens if you are offline. It counts credits but not mileage. To make sure you are connected after leaving the game and coming back, save. If you are offline at the time it will reconnect and confirm.

This happens if you are offline. It counts credits but not mileage. To make sure you are connected after leaving the game and coming back, save. If you are offline at the time it will reconnect and confirm.
I am having some issues with my router, and this is probably the reason why it happened - the irritating thing is, however, that it does know that I've done over 100 miles but there is a much lower figure at the top of my home page - but when I go into Arcade Mode and do a couple of laps, the miles magically re-appear before disappearing again... what's worse is that I have now done enough miles to be over the Daily Workout limit (for the free car) even excluding the 80 or so miles that are missing from the enduro I did, but it seems to think I've already been awarded the car... :irked:

I wrote in the Undocumented Changes thread, but the AMG F1 W08 got its performance changed.

Ver.1.23-1.28
912PS/10,500rpm, 62.3kgfm/8,000rpm

Ver.1.29-
903PS/10,500rpm, 50.6kgfm/8,000rpm

Are the extra power and torque the performance of its hybrid system?

Last edited:
Back