Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
Alright, so I had GT Sport for about a week now and I feel like listing the gripes I have with the game, pardon me if it's a little long winded

1. I've probably mentioned this before, but I strongly disagree with Sport being a live service title. You all know that the game was rather barebones at launch, with very few cars, tracks and content, and it took well over a year to shape it into something that more or less looks like a traditional Gran Turismo game, not to mention it being server-dependent by nature. I don't mind PD giving more attention to online (it was objectively mediocre in 5 and 6), just don't neglect customers that brought the series to where it is now popularity-wise. I obviously don't know what their relationship with Sony is like, but either something needs to change in PD's development pipeline, or they should've just skipped 6 (unless it was mandated by Sony) and go straight into Sport's development, which would've given PD something like 4-5 years of dev time
  2. Why does GT League not award any cars for All Gold? Don't get me wrong, Sport literally showered me in gift cars from day one (and I now have over 70, with only a dozen being credit purchases), it just feels weird to at least not have a pre-determined reward and League leaves an impression it exists solely for credit farming now as opposed to past games
  3. Why can't we just repaint a car in a dedicated menu? I get that PD adding a full on livery editor is an amazing feature (and I hope they keep it for future titles too), but...come on. I have to create a new livery just for a body color change? Quite a hassle for something so trivial if you ask me
  4. Why are there so few search filters for the Discover menu? If I'm looking for a livery for a specific car, all I can mention is some vague tags (that not players even set), and it always shows me latest uploads first. What if I want to see the most popular ones instead? Or the oldest uploads? So silly
  5. Why can't we immediately watch a replay of an online race after it's concluded? You have to save it, quit the race, go back to main screen, access My Library, and only then play it. Does the process really have to be consisting of this many steps? Again, like with car paint color - something so trivial shouldn't require so many actions
  6. Why is there Ghosting in online races in general? I'd understand if it was reserved for Lobby races (which often can turn into a poopshow full of reckless drivers), but you'd think this would not be a thing in the "Official FIA" races. Not only Ghosting makes the Blue Flags obsolete (faster cars can just pass through you anyway), there is no visual cue for when a car becomes solid, so it can result in unwanted contacts or even collisions. Just get rid of it entirely
  7. Also related to online races (especially ones in Sport mode) - why is there Auto Drive and short rolling starts? I was hoping there would be full on formation laps with tyre warm ups (this is something that iRacing does for its official competitions by the way), but here there's just an awkward pause after showing the grid table, followed by CPU driving until the countdown, and only then you're given full control of the car. Meh.
  8. Why is there a full on pit-out animation for Practice and Qualy, yet when you pit out during the main race you're immediately teleported to the pit exit? You're losing time regardless, that's the natural risk/reward element of a pit strategy (and why it can make or break a pole in real racing as well)
  9. Also on the subject of pit stops, why do tyre changes and refuels happen one after another instead of simultaneously regardless of what Group you're participating in or what car you're driving? Different categories and competitions have different rules for how a pit stop is handled (e.g. F1 - all tyres changed at same time, Indycar - tyre change and refueling at same time, Le Mans - refueling is taking place while other activities are in order), yet GT Sport just uses one sequence for everything
  10. Why is there a need to show these fancy intros for every race we participate in? Specifically for Nations Cup and Manufacturer Series - it takes a solid couple of minutes to go through the whole thing, with the entire grid showcase one by one probably being the worst offender. Is it really just for the purposes of the eSports streams?
  11. I don't know whether PD intends on keeping the Penalty and Rating systems for the next GT game, but both need to be completely overhauled. Penalty appliances seem to be happening to drivers at random or when they're completely innocent, while nobody cares about the Driver and Sportmanship ratings - I'm still seeing folks driving like complete jackasses, bumping and taking out others, so the rating literally feels like a very abritrary and silly "hey be a good boy, k?" kind of thing, with its only use being filtering out idiots for Lobbies. Matchmaking also needs improvements as I see people with REALLY bad connections popping in here and there
  12. Prices for the most expensive cars are honestly insane. 20 Million credits, when that's the maximum cap you can have? Really? Now, obviously these cars can become a prize at any given time or day, or you could just buy them for like 5$ a piece, and you're not obligated to own them at all. But even in past GT games the most expensive cars were more or less obtainable easily, hell in GT4 B-spec could make you rich within hours. But IMO they went a bit overboard with car prices. Same could be said for Vision GT vehicles, as I don't get why, for example, a Tomahawk costs as much as the small Daihatsu VGT car, if anything the latter should cost half the price
That's about it as far as the major complaints go. I coud also mention more minor things like the weird shadows rendering, lack of universal settings for Chase Camera and Cockpit Camera, display bugs like showing time for races as "25:40" instead of "00:40" (pretty sure there are only 24 hours in a day), though seems some of them are intentional design decisions.

Wanted to also comment on Sport missing certain cars (like Bentley Speed 8, BMW M3 GTR, Ford Mustang '05, Subaru Impreza '03, etc) and certain tracks (Silverstone, Spa, Laguna Seca, Sebring, Albert Park, Monaco, etc), but since this is a live service game I guess all that's left is sit and wait whether they make it or not, especially since PS5 is coming next year and for all we know the support could stop at any time to focus on a next generation Gran turismo title
This should go into the “GT Sport epic whining and complaining” thread lol jk

Remote Play just allows you to use your iOS device as a controller and monitor in one device, so as you’re lying in bed, you can load GT sport (or any other game) and play it. The controls in nearly every game I’ve played (other than maybe Mega Man) are pretty cumbersome though. It’s just handy to watch replays and maybe make liveries and things like that.

One thing I forgot to mention is that your device has to be connected to the same network (phone has to have a wifi connection to the same router), so you can only really use it when you’re already home. I use from time to time when in bed, or am lazy.

The idea for that is security, because if you can access it when not at home, then anyone could potentially access it too. I think there may be a way around it (like maybe logging into your home network remotely) but I haven’t tried it.
You can use remote play from any WiFi network, it doesn't have to be the same as the one your PS4 is connected to. But you should connect your PS4 to Ethernet and not WiFi to minimize lag.

I'm probably not getting the next gran turismo, since i'm likely not getting ps5. Perhaps next gen i'd put all my dosh in the PC.
Also, as a casual player I haven't managed to buy a single 20 million CR car since gt5.

Wanted to also comment on Sport missing certain tracks (Silverstone, Spa, Laguna Seca, Sebring, Albert Park, Monaco, etc)
If it makes you feel any better Spa is confirmed to being added to the game (which will happen God knows when), and Silverstone has apparently been confirmed but we have no idea when that's going to happen (I'd bet next year from February on at the earliest).

GT League is far from being a full-fledged singleplayer mode and it will never be because it was just a bone PD threw to the fans who were clamoring for it. Meh, it's not the focus of GT Sport anyway.

Also, the 20 Million cars situation is a very big bruh moment for me because even after 100 cars received I have still not got any of the Nostalgic 1979 eligible cars. :lol:

But the way I see it, we have to look at GT Sport as more than just what it is. It also serves as the canvas on which GT7 will be built upon, so I'm totally ready to accept it as is while I wait for the real deal to come in the future. Hey, one can dream, no?

I want to think that GTS isn't a demo, but more comparable to a prototype of sorts. Like comparing a concept car to its test mule, or its pre-production test type version, with a more "formal" GT game being the retail production model. Mostly something that's being used for PD to test a few things and gather the appropriate, relevant data. Stuff like using GT as an eSports platform, as a live service game, as the first game that doesn't have to be developed with the PS3's reportedly cumbersome cell processor, as a game that has direct influence on an actual car's design (the GR Supra), and building a sizable wave of partnerships (FIA, Michelin, TAG-Heuer, Toyota, Porsche) while building on pre-existing ones like the VGT project.

And I think for all the shortcomings GTS has, we don't know what workforce is being assigned to what on PD's end. I'd imagine that the reason there's still very sparse lobby options (especially compared to GT6) is in a large part because of GTS' focus on being an eSports platform, and so, many of the more notable gameplay/UI/UX/QoL adjustments and changes that we may want may be getting worked on for GT7 instead.

I think GT7 has a lot of potential, especially with all the expansions at PD, and the new partnerships that I think should help either improve GT as a game (Michelin and their tire simulation model) or financially, by helping to sponsor the game's production and events (TAG-Heuer, Red Bull). But I just hope GT7 isn't just a fancy tech demo to dazzle tech investors while leaving some stuff to be desired as an actual game. I get that ray-tracing, procedural generation of trees/buildings, the scapes, etc. are all indeed very impressive, but I hope that's all attached to a game that's also been able to evolve its actual gameplay and game design. For example, it could be neat to have different scoring or qualifying systems outside of the FIAGTC World Tour events, with options to customize them in lobbies. Or if there were abilities to create teams or clubs, and/or share liveries with specific individuals, or share settings in-game as you would a livery. And for the love of god, scrapping that god-awful exp/level system that has no place in a game where it's entirely unnecessary to have such shorthand for the actual firsthand experience you can gain on the track. Gran Turismo is not Dragon Quest, as much as I enjoy both. (Funny enough, I consider DR to be a decent enough replacement for the functions and purpose otherwise served by an exp/level system.)

I fully believe that the adage "beauty is only skin-deep" also applies to various products and entertainment; I don't want GT7 to have this paradox where it has tons of polish and yet nothing to actually polish.

Last edited:
You can use remote play from any WiFi network, it doesn't have to be the same as the one your PS4 is connected to. But you should connect your PS4 to Ethernet and not WiFi to minimize lag.
Hmm, I tried that and it couldn’t find the PS4. I guess it was user error though.

What does this even mean?...
Screenshot_20191010-121538_YouTube.jpg

I have released the search engine for GTS livery.

https://gts.gt-beginners.net/livery/?lang=us

but, the response is very slow :(

Alright, so I had GT Sport for about a week now and I feel like listing the gripes I have with the game, pardon me if it's a little long winded
  1. Why are there so few search filters for the Discover menu? If I'm looking for a livery for a specific car, all I can mention is some vague tags (that not players even set), and it always shows me latest uploads first. What if I want to see the most popular ones instead? Or the oldest uploads? So silly

See the website in the link above for a better search routine for liveries.

If you want to search for most popular liveries/decals/replays etc. the only way to do that is to log on to gran turismo website outside of the game.

Also, in the game it only shows you the last couple of days and you have to tab back 2 days ad nauseam to get to what you want. Searching through the website, searches the entire database in one go. Much quicker!

Is there a reason Polyphony doesnt have the newest ford GT, porsches or mclarens and aston martins? is it a licencing issue?
also why are Ruf not present? or new Audi's ? :(

Polyphony just tends to be very inefficient with adding modern cars to their game on a timely basis, especially not helped that they usually take months to model their cars at the level of detail they have in Sport.

As for RUF, the popular theory is that ever since the EA exclusivity deal with Porsche expired in 2016, games that previously had RUF as substitutes for Porsche are now opting to go with the real deal, with a few exceptions being games like The Crew 2 and Gear.Club Unlimited 2.

Polyphony just tends to be very inefficient with adding modern cars to their game on a timely basis, especially not helped that they usually take months to model their cars at the level of detail they have in Sport.

As for RUF, the popular theory is that ever since the EA exclusivity deal with Porsche expired in 2016, games that previously had RUF as substitutes for Porsche are now opting to go with the real deal, with a few exceptions being games like The Crew 2 and Gear.Club Unlimited 2.

I'd still want most racing games to have Porsche and RUF together though

Depends what you class as unique. The Yellowbird was the fastest road legal car in the world for a period of YEARS?
I can recall somebody mentioned some certain RUF models in another thread but that was how many months ago, I think. I just can't seem to remember it exactly when.

I never said the brand doesn't have value any more value in the game just because of Porsche's presence, if that's what someone thinks of what I said earlier.

Seems redundant when the main brand, which is Porsche, is already present in the game.

RUF is its own brand so not sure what you're getting at with the "main brand" wording. This would hint at RUF being a subsidiary or partially owned brand of Porsche/VAG, when reading what you said at face value. RUF again is not a Porsche brand or subsidiary, RUF is RUF.

RUF is its own brand so not sure what you're getting at with the "main brand" wording. This would hint at RUF being a subsidiary or partially owned brand of Porsche/VAG, when reading what you said at face value. RUF again is not a Porsche brand or subsidiary, RUF is RUF.
The thing is, in the game, it was somewhat used as Porsche's own substitute when the latter didn't exist because of its exclusivity in EA's racing games back then. That's why I only referred the Porsche as main because they used to have some similar models but you're right that the RUF is a brand of its own. Anyway, I do hope you already get my point here.

To be honest, I don’t know much about real sports cars and always thought Ruf was a made-up porsche clone just to be used in the games and get around the licensing. I had no idea until now it was a real car.

I think there was a promotional video that had Kaz show off a new Sony TV, and I recall there being a RUF CTR3 in some footage from what looked like a Gran Turismo game. There was a GTP article on it - perhaps the CTR3 could be coming to the next title? At the least, I'd like all three CTRs, the '17 remake of the original CTR, and probably a mix of other models, like the 3400S from the PS2-era games, and maybe the RTR, BTR, and BTR2.

Also, RUF isn't redundant with Porsche being around, unless you think Callaway is redundant to the Chevrolet Corvette models, too. Both Callaway and RUF do a decent amount of their own sort of work, with all sorts of interesting mechanical differences, too.

Now, if you want redundant, then maybe I'd say Scion, since they both no longer exist and all their models were rebadged Toyotas, unlike Lexus which has evolved into its own thing. I don't even know if I'd really miss the Scion FR-S, even if it does have some minute differences in design compared to the 86 and BR-Z. If Scion does somehow appear in the next game, then I'd just include the FR-S and the xB, especially since the latter was a bit infamous for its looks. (And even then, I don't know if it'd be than fun to include, at least not without another box-on-wheels alongside it like the Nissan Cube, or Kia Soul. Euugh.)

Last edited:
Back