Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
...I'm so confused, "too much realistic"...yet you are talking and arguing for a game that strives and markets itself as the most realistic driver and racing sim.

I think this probably refers to how basically unplayable the experience was on a pad.

So, totally fair.

*sigh* Why can't PD be like other companies and just tell us straight up what the problem is? If they would have done that by now, with any reason at all, the wait wouldn't be as bad. This silence is maddening.

Does anybody familiar with PR tactics know if being this tight-lipped would benefit them in any way? I'm at a loss for ideas.

no it's not. Scaff posted an in-depth reason on this very thread why it's possible if you actually take the time and once done is perfectly usable.

By mincing around with settings, or just being crazy patient?

JTB10000
*sigh* Why can't PD be like other companies and just tell us straight up what the problem is? If they would have done that by now, with any reason at all, the wait wouldn't be as bad. This silence is maddening.

Does anybody familiar with PR tactics know if being this tight-lipped would benefit them in any way? I'm at a loss for ideas.

If you're confident in what you have, you tell people.
If you're nervous because it's crap or unfinished, likely silence.

No. They can't... As you might know Kaz is too buisy driving nurb 24h

...I'm so confused, "too much realistic"...yet you are talking and arguing for a game that strives and markets itself as the most realistic driver and racing sim.

Gran Turismo is way more accessible than Pcars, you can enjoy it with a DualShock anyway and it's not realistic as it says on the front cover :D

You sold a game that you thought was "Too realistic", yet you stuck with a game that, from what I've heard anyway, its pretty realistic (or at least is the best Rally sim since Richard Burns Rally). :odd:

You're right. I don't know why, maybe i like rallies more than circuit races, but Pcars was very frustrating and hard for me (i don't own a wheel) i really didn't enjoy it. Dirt is realistic but also quite fun to play, it's more a "game" than a "hard sim"

Just my opinion :)

no it's not. Scaff posted an in-depth reason on this very thread why it's possible if you actually take the time and once done is perfectly usable.

Every of the 20 times i played PCars i had to fiddle around with the Controller settings, using googled settings and trying to find ones myself that allowed me to play the game properly. Didnt get it to be playable with a controller and so i paid it to a friend.
PCars really was bad in that regard. I guess its good with a wheel, but for controller use it was horrible.

Dirt Rally instead ist great with a controller!

Every of the 20 times i played PCars i had to fiddle around with the Controller settings, using googled settings and trying to find ones myself that allowed me to play the game properly. Didnt get it to be playable with a controller and so i paid it to a friend.
PCars really was bad in that regard. I guess its good with a wheel, but for controller use it was horrible.

Totally agree. And why should we have to be mincing around endlessly with settings just to get it to work with, you know, the default controller?

Gran Turismo is way more accessible than Pcars, you can enjoy it with a DualShock anyway and it's not realistic as it says on the front cover :D

How is it not realistic? It has various realistic aspects.

That's great, but he used realism as a term as to why he couldn't play the game, jm79 brought up the controller, and to be honest I've seen others play it on controller or wheel just fine. If you're going to make the effort to buy a game, get educated on it and then if you do still buy it after being educated on said purchase obviously take the time to figure out how to set it up in a fashion that best utilized your equipment.

Point is others spend a bit more time setting it up so it's out of the way in the long run. Once again @Scaff provided in-depth info on the setting up of controller use for the game. You say or seem to say you couldn't find "sufficient" info. Yet somehow he was? If it weren't for experience and the fact that others have given insight on how to do it I wouldn't be arguing about it. I agree it's not as pick up and go, but it's not close to impossible either.

That's great, but he used realism as a term as to why he couldn't play the game, jm79 brought up the controller, and to be honest I've seen others play it on controller or wheel just fine. If you're going to make the effort to buy a game, get educated on it and then if you do still buy it after being educated on said purchase obviously take the time to figure out how to set it up in a fashion that best utilized your equipment.

Point is others spend a bit more time setting it up so it's out of the way in the long run. Once again @Scaff provided in-depth info on the setting up of controller use for the game. You say or seem to say you couldn't find "sufficient" info. Yet somehow he was? If it weren't for experience and the fact that others have given insight on how to do it I wouldn't be arguing about it. I agree it's not as pick up and go, but it's not close to impossible either.

Nah, sorry mate, I can see what you're saying, but the fact that the dev didn't really bother to make sure their game worked well with the default controller, suggests a level of incompetence that frankly puts me off the entire experience.

GT has always been excellent in this regard, although 'excellent' should be the absolute minimum, default approach.

And when did Scaff post those configuration settings? I bought the game on the release day and gave it about 2 weeks in which i couldnt find a way to make it playable for me. This really shouldnt be the case as @jm79 said for a game that gets released on a console system where about 85% of the players are using the dualshock controller.

Yes it has. But it's more like a simarcade, it has realistic features but it's not a total sim like Pcars or Assetto Corsa.

Ah I see what you're getting at, originally you made it seem as if GT or even the newest Dirt weren't realistic at all.

And when did Scaff post those configuration settings? I bought the game on the release day and gave it about 2 weeks in which i couldnt find a way to make it playable for me. This really shouldnt be the case as @jm79 said for a game that gets released on a console system where about 85% of the players are using the dualshock controller.

Go back through the pages or ask Scaff, I can look through the pages later today and find it. It's ironic you ask because I'm pretty sure it was in response to you or at least someone with the same issues.
Nah, sorry mate, I can see what you're saying, but the fact that the dev didn't really bother to make sure their game worked well with the default controller, suggests a level of incompetence that frankly puts me off the entire experience.

GT has always been excellent in this regard, although 'excellent' should be the absolute minimum, default approach.

It's a small firm dev, doing probably the first big outing after working with EA and not getting what they really wanted out of it. So of course they'll have issues with configuration, the point is they didn't completely say screw you pad users, get a wheel or don't play. At the same time there isn't a default controller usability which I agree, but then again there was plenty from the actual SMS time line showing it probably wouldn't be pad friendly or at least not in the way many just want to pick up and go.

GT has been excellent because it's not what it markets itself as. If it were realistic like people want there would be various setting to go through and what not. Thus probably no practical default either, because each car would need a various set up to work well or competitively with the pad. And I think for a racing game and driving game, that should be the gearing.

there was plenty from the actual SMS time line showing it probably wouldn't be pad friendly or at least not in the way many just want to pick up and go.

This is kinda shocking.

'Realistic' is an inexact term, in driving games. However, it should be possible, and in fact an unwavering prerequisite, that a game released on a system where the majority of users will use the default controller, for it to be playable on the default controller. Otherwise, why even bother with a console release?

Anyway, this is off-topic.

Come on PD/Sony - get your shiz together.

This is kinda shocking.

'Realistic' is an inexact term, in driving games. However, it should be possible, and in fact an unwavering prerequisite, that a game released on a system where the majority of users will use the default controller, for it to be playable on the default controller. Otherwise, why even bother with a console release?

Anyway, this is off-topic.

Come on PD/Sony - get your shiz together.

Because that's where the money is, SMS have the right to throw their hat in the ring, and many people invested in it to help them get to that point. If anything they seem to take the racing genre quite serious where long time companies of old don't.

Because that's where the money is, SMS have the right to throw their hat in the ring, and many people invested in it to help them get to that point. If anything they seem to take the racing genre quite serious where long time companies of old don't.

So they wanted console player's money, but couldn't be bothered to make it playable for the vast majority of them?

You think that's a good approach?

Jesus H

Go back through the pages or ask Scaff, I can look through the pages later today and find it. It's ironic you ask because I'm pretty sure it was in response to you or at least someone with the same issues.
The thing is, its useless to get the right controller settings several months after the games release!

Who would I lay blame on if the Sun were not to rise? Would it be Helios? Apollo? Wadjet? Sekhmet?

Whoever you liked. You might not blame anyone and simply look for causes, which without further information could be any number of things. A little investigation and some informed guessing could probably narrow it down though.

You can take cheap shots if you like, but it's just an example of a non-event that might cause you to speculate about something. Soundtrack didn't how such a thing could happen, so I tried to explain with a simple example that might be more grokkable than "developer and publisher go silent for six months despite scheduled release windows, possibly project isn't going as planned".

Did he maybe saw GT?
twitter.com/SunnyGearSolid/status/725010936982061057
He liked this post
twitter.com/Vince423/status/725025955392147457
The post was a reply to this one
twitter.com/Ice_of_Sub_Zero/status/725024631309082626

Or maybe he just likes the gif?

Please don't kill me:gtpflag:
Thats me after 6 months without news
tumblr_n8yur7cFVW1qb2rf8o1_500.gif

:lol:

That not what this discussion is about. Many people are tired of the same thing over and over with GT.
Keep the car descriptions. Keep the Senna tribute. Keep the photos and replay modes. The problem lies with AI designed to not race the user. A career mode that has no depth and halts to a dead end. A host of cars that pay no tribute to the time PD put into the fully rendered models.
No one wants PD to be these others games. Many want PD to surpass these games and be the benchmark once again.

Edit: This was in response to the Losco post.

The thing is, its useless to get the right controller settings several months after the games release!
I posted my full controller settings here 21 days after it came out and I know I wasn't the first. Simply switching to profile 3 made a big difference and I posted that on the day of release.

However I quite agree that the default controller set-up should have been far better, it was a semi-PC mentality (that users woudl be happy to tweak) that had no place on console. However with a little effort it is more than possible to get the controller set-up and certainly its not as if it was impossible to find help here on the subject for months.

So they wanted console player's money, but couldn't be bothered to make it playable for the vast majority of them?
You know for a fact that this was a result of "couldn't be bothered" rather that a misunderstanding of the target audience or even a belief that they were OK with the settings?

You think that's a good approach?
No I don't and had we not had the ability to change the settings to the degree we have I would be 100% behind you. However we do and it was more than possible to set them up to meet an individual need.

Hell I don't like the speed of input sensitivity as a default on GT (no car reacts that quickly to steering input), for the vast majority of the titles I had no option but to live with it and it was only with the later titles I was able to adjust it in a basic way,and even then I had to be bothered to go in an play around with it to get it to my liking (with assistance from the members here).

Last edited:
As a team member during development of pCARS I can assure you they worked on, tweaked and tested pad input considerably. We were given several A/B/C options to test at many points throughout the development and they were working on them all the time. Now I agree they didn't get them perfect in the end but it is absolutely untrue that they couldn't be bothered.

I posted my full controller settings here 21 days after it came out and I know I wasn't the first. Simply switching to profile 3 made a big difference and I posted that on the day of release.
Oh, my bad that i gave up playing it after about 2 weeks (in which i probably tweeked more on the controller setup than playing the actual game...) then :lol:

As a team member during development of pCARS I can assure you they worked on, tweaked and tested pad input considerably. We were given several A/B/C options to test at many points throughout the development and they were working on them all the time. Now I agree they didn't get them perfect in the end but it is absolutely untrue that they couldn't be bothered.

As a player who played tons of racing games since the 80s I can say Pcars was the first and only racing game I sold.
Nothing personal, really, but I did not have fun with it at all. I enjoyed Slighty Mad's Shift 2 way more than Pcars.

The problem with Pcars it's... not a Videogame. There's nothing to unlock, and I found it too frustrating to play with my DualShock.
It's just my personal opinion and I'm sure lots of gamers love the game, but I'm totally sure Pcars it's almost unplayable without a wheel. And I'll surely not buy Assetto Corsa aswell :)

Back