Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
I'm basing my opinion on the onboard i saw from the Nordschleife. I saw the Ferrari GT3 going wide over the grass at the Mutkurve doing about 230 k's and recovering without any trouble, and he was riding many kerbs without it unsettling the car at all. I did a one hour GT3 endurance with AC last week at the ring, and i had to be really careful not to overdo it on the kerbs or it would throw off the balance of the car in a second. So the contrast is very noticeable with this example.
I'm not saying its perfect, its certainly not, but you do need care over the curbs or it will punish you unless you can correct stupidly quickly.

Certainly with the lighter low or no downforce cars its something you need to take a lot of care with, the MX5 run around the 'ring I did towards the end of the day I found I had to avoid the curbs in a big way if I wanted to keep it on track.

It struck me that at the event most people where driving bumper cam, initially people here were even wondering why we didn't see any cockpit views and they weren't sure it was featured. Bumper cam is generally faster than cockpit as you have nothing obscuring your vision, so i think that will end up being what everyone that is competing in the online championships will be using.

Also imagine someone reaching the finals using chase view :D
I'd love someone to get to the finals with chase cam, that would make my day.

One thing to keep in mind is that some of the cars in this build didn't have interiors yet, so bumper cam was the only option if you didn't want chase.

Obviously that wasn't the 'Professional' AI

Not to be rude, but how would you know? Only the person driving can tell us that for sure but as I say, there are some videos in the other threads where we actually see them choose the 'professional' setting and it's no better.

One thing to keep in mind is that some of the cars in this build didn't have interiors yet,

Hmm, it's kinda worrying that at this stage they barely had 5 fully finished tracks to show off and not even all of the ~20 cars were finished. I hope they have a lot more in a finished state that they just didn't want to show yet, rather than what they showed was the furthest along content.

Am satisfied with graphic(there some bugs and room for improvements) but this is just beta. Sound is little better so its step in right direction. Updated physics form GT6 is good for me, don't need to be super, mega realistic. AI seems faster but hope for more agresive and faster when PD finish game. No standard (FINALLY!!), livery editor and superb photo mode are good news for GT fans. :)
Am looking forward for this game and N24h when maybe we will see full Nurb circuit. 💡

It was actually. I've seen a couple of videos with the AI on their highest setting and they don't appear to be all that competitive for anyone but a really casual racer. Passing two cars easily under braking for example, they seem to completely give up as soon as you pull alongside etc.

This is still pretty much the case unfortunately, @Roo and I both made the same observation when we were chatting about the AI.

It is better, but its still too passive.

Hmm, it's kinda worrying that at this stage they barely had 5 fully finished tracks to show off and not even all of the ~20 cars were finished. I hope they have a lot more in a finished state that they just didn't want to show yet, rather than what they showed was the furthest along content.
As they were getting builds sent over every 8 hours I can imagine that part of the reason why the content was small was to try and keep the variables for potential problems as low as possible.

I've taken part in plenty of Beta's (real ones not marketing beta's) that were in a far worse state six months form release and managed to bridge the gap.

Haven't seen any mention of force feedback. Any impressions ?

Edit, As soon as I say it gets mentioned. Lol
The FFB itself in terms of loss of grip, Self Aligning Torque weight, response, etc was actually all very good.

This is still pretty much the case unfortunately, @Roo and I both made the same observation when we were chatting about the AI.

It is better, but its still too passive.

As they were getting builds sent over every 8 hours I can imagine that part of the reason why the content was small was to try and keep the variables for potential problems as low as possible.

I've taken part in plenty of Beta's (real ones not marketing beta's) that were in a far worse state six months form release and managed to bridge the gap.

The FFB itself in terms of loss of grip, Self Aligning Torque weight, response, etc was actually all very good.

What are the best examples of AI in driving games/sims, incidentally? I've not played any of the hardcore sims on PC.

What are the best examples of AI in driving games/sims, incidentally? I've not played any of the hardcore sims on PC.
From my own experience the AI on FM4 back when I used to play was pretty good and the AI in PCars is in my opinion a good challenge. Many complain that they do nothing but crash into you in PCars, but I have to be honest that's not been my experience on the whole.

I like engine sound. A little too clean but they are going in the right direction.

Sound of tires is too loud.

But according to the people at event, PoDi seems to be aware of this issue. I hope.

I think he was talking about sound regarding that car.

Anyone here are my first ever laps of GT SPORT, I was messing around with car to test how it handles in different situations:

Already posted on the video thread but I'll post it here again regarding the race with four people battling it out right at end of race:

Missed the "US vs Japan" race as my brother wanted to go home so look forward to watching it once uploaded.

Team GB. 👍

Were you not one one of the participators on the 19th? Don't think I saw you on live stream. Was thinking where's Adam, he would probably beat them like a boss.

Had a mare in this race, went from 2nd to 7th in the space of 10 seconds:lol::lol:

Worrying still, is Kaz saying it will be easier to port cars over to PS4. Yet, here we are.

Thank you, to those who are giving us unbiased info on GTS. I still have one eye-brow raised until November.

Im not sure if its been mentioned, I apolygise if it has, my question, could anyone access the livery editor from any of the builds? Also, did anyone spot any clues to how many "layers" it allows one to apply (from the trailer/promo pics/ leaks etc).

Maybe keep doing GTs but at the same time another type of game. Gt franchise looks like PES, it was the king and not anymore today.

Your analogy makes no sense.
GT is still the best selling racing game. PES is nothings sales wise relative to FIFA.

As GT was. Without the massive car count, and with the focus on esports, I'm not sure I'd call GTS mainstream. I was thinking last night about how many copies it might sell, and while I'm no expert nor clairvoyant, 1 to 3 million is what I would guess at. In other words, it might not outsell Driveclub.

Yeah, I hear the same statement every time a GT game comes out before it goes on to sell 5 million+

Overall the feeling I'm getting is one of promise. I think the a.i still looks to be too easy for veterans. Still doesn't look like they have the awareness of pcars or some of the F1 games when you get up close. They do look quicker though. I've been encouraged by the hands on reviews about the physics, although I hope collision physics change when we see the damage model introduced. Some have been critical of the trailer shown but I actually think it shows a great deal of confidence in using lots of in-game footage. They could easily have put together a spectacular trailer with no actual game play. But for me the huge promise is in the online aspect. Looking forward to more details, very excited. Also watching the menu video I notice special events or something and there is a 24hr nurburgring race and a 300km race around that new oval track. Does this mean endurance racing will be back?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4s-gran-turismo-sport-aims-for-60-fps-features-d/1100-6440026/

I saw this and it says Yamauchi is aiming for full damge, straying away dynamic weather conditions, and quotes that Polyphony's targets are 1080p and 60fps.

*This could possibly explain why PD is looking toward weather as a pre-match option, as quoted in the article, as they are going for better overall quality at a prime resolution and frame rate.

EDIT: Gamespotpot recieved most of the information from Dualshockers, which goes more into depth will this link below:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/05...-and-weather-polyphony-optimizing-for-60-fps/

Last edited:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4s-gran-turismo-sport-aims-for-60-fps-features-d/1100-6440026/

I saw this and it says Yamauchi is aiming for full damge, straying away dynamic weather conditions, and quotes that Polyphony's targets are 1080p and 60fps.

*This could possibly explain why PD is looking toward weather as a pre-match option, as quoted in the article.

EDIT: Gamespotpot recieved most of the information from Dualshockers, which goes more into depth will this link below:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/05...-and-weather-polyphony-optimizing-for-60-fps/
Thats some good news I guess. Hopefully its correct.

As GT was. Without the massive car count, and with the focus on esports, I'm not sure I'd call GTS mainstream. I was thinking last night about how many copies it might sell, and while I'm no expert nor clairvoyant, 1 to 3 million is what I would guess at. In other words, it might not outsell Driveclub.

Just by being a GT game it's going to outsell Driveclub. In fact, if it does end up launching on 11/15, and the general buzz around the game is possitive. It could very well outsell Driveclub in 2016.

Your analogy makes no sense.
GT is still the best selling racing game. PES is nothings sales wise relative to FIFA.

Yeah, I hear the same statement every time a GT game comes out before it goes on to sell 5 million+

PES used to sell more than 6 million back in ps2, just like Gran turismo they can't seem to keep up with time. But after this event I have more hopes with PD than Konami. I don't know what is wrong Japanese devs nowadays they are so left behind

amazing, cant wait for this, really the photomode more than anything..

we are so spoilt nowadays, people dont realize a full game decades back ony had 3 cars and about 4 tracks...no one ever complained...

now today the better games are and the more stuff they have people moan.. oh well..

games just keep getting better and better..

PES used to sell more than 6 million back in ps2, just like Gran turismo they can't seem to keep up with time. But after this event I have more hopes with PD than Konami. I don't know what is wrong Japanese devs nowadays they are so left behind

Thats not the point. GT remains the best selling racer let alone sim racer. PES was replaced by FIFA a long time ago.
Japanese devs continue to make some of the best games out there.

@Scaff If you have to compare the physics to pcars, how does GTS currently hold up?

Maybe take prototype as an example and à GT3 car. In pcars I get a lot of feedback through the wheel and cars seem to respond nicely. I fact most of them do what I want from them and they seem sensitive to the input given. Only wonder if those cars haven't to much grip sometimes? Cars (proto/gt) in GT6 for example felt twitchier to drive. Is this less the case in GTS?
It is indeed now the case in GTS, the P1 and GT3 have a lot more grip now as per PCars.

Which is more how they should be, the degree of aero these cars have should make them harder to unsettle, but when they do they should bite hard.

GTS feels quite a lot like PCars in that regard.

Will be very interesting seeing what Kaz told the gtp staff in the round table interview.

Overall I get the feeling that they're improving overall the complaints but no my a margain that is close to being good enough. Graphics and physics seem the best features here, but everything else seems sub par to the competition.

Last edited:
Thats not the point. GT remains the best selling racer let alone sim racer. PES was replaced by FIFA a long time ago.
Japanese devs continue to make some of the best games out there.
I think the point is they are not as good as they used to be. Yes Gran turismo 5 and 6 sells much better than other racing game but that doesn't mean it's not a stale game

GT = Call of duty of racing games seems a better comparison. Bit stale in the gameplay department, but it will sell millions anyway among casual console gamers, due to the marketing and eye candy.

That I would say is true if you think of GT5 and 6 but now it seems like they are truly trying to address the biggest issues they had with the game. What Scaff and others have reported from the Copper event seems promising. Maybe they'll be able to pull off the eye candy plus all the other susbtancial goodies, fingers crossed.

Latest Posts

Back