Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
Im pretty sure they will have all tracks around 80-90% finished by now (you know, if they are actually on track for a November release). Just because they didn't show it at the event doesn't mean they haven't started it yet.

You don't work on every track concurrently, that would be terribly inefficient. You work on some tracks, finish them, then move on. That is why it's somewhat concerning that at this stage they didn't even have 5 totally finished to show off. That is assuming of course this Tokyo track is in fact not finished. That may be it.

Depends on what they wanted to show - they're not necessarily going to reveal tracks in the order they're finished. There could be tracks that are done but they want to show off at later dates (I suspect this mythical "Settle Short" could be one of them), while they thought using the Nurburgring would be good for this event even though it isn't finished yet.

Surely they would plan for that though? They showed Nurburgring and Brands in the first trailer 6 months ago, they must have known they would be the ones they're using again?

In terms of "realistic physics" and detailed tuning, GT will never get more hardcore than it already is. I don't think you could convince PD that adding more and more tuning variables adds value to the game for many people. I suspect keeping it simple (as sims go) is the best thing to do commercially.

That said, I do hope they improve their existing tunable bits to work properly. I think they cover all of the important stuff in GT6, it just doesn't work right. F/R ride hight needs to control the front and rear ride height, respectively. Camber should do something. No magic tricks with transmission settings. Simple stuff.

Every other tiny tuning detail omitted is one less variable to have to worry about. If nobody can adjust tire pressure, everyone is on the same level there. For me (and I suspect most other semi-serious folk) it means a lot less time experimenting and a lot more time racing.

I do believe there should be way more tire/wheel size/width/offset etc adjustability, but I would prefer it made no impact on performance and only served aesthetic purposes. Just to save time!

Plus, can you imagine the exploits? Get biggest tires and set pressures to some magic number and you rail bends like a fan car. And then they'll take 6 months to fix it, if ever.

You don't work on every track concurrently, that would be terribly inefficient. You work on some tracks, finish them, then move on. That is why it's somewhat concerning that at this stage they didn't even have 5 totally finished to show off. That is assuming of course this Tokyo track is in fact not finished. That may be it.
Well considering we have already seen two tracks that are seemingly unfinished, simultaneously, this would appear to be how PD do it.

Well considering we have already seen two tracks that are seemingly unfinished, simultaneously, this would appear to be how PD do it.

Or they're just way behind schedule. After three years or more some of the tracks should have been finished.

Cancelling the beta because they don't have time certainly lends further evidence it may be closer to the truth.

Surely they would plan for that though? They showed Nurburgring and Brands in the first trailer 6 months ago, they must have known they would be the ones they're using again?

But we also saw an unfinished Nurburgring in the recent trailer, so... I guess the first one was an upscaled GT6 then they rebuilt now for PS4...? Who knows.

What do you mean exactly?
Pure urban track that feels like urban, claustrophobic track. :)
Looks finished to me. Except it's very short.

He probably means that it looks lifeless and drab, where are the people? Where is the busy pit area? There is apparently only one person in Tokyo except those in the cars, and he's waving a flag. Everyone else has been wiped out.

Or they're just way behind schedule. After three years or more some of the tracks should have been finished.

Cancelling the beta because they don't have time certainly lends further evidence it may be closer to the truth.
Thats also very possible :lol:.'the only problem is if they had only completed 5 of the tracks, they must realise how far behind they are, and probably wouldn't have gone and told everyone when the game was coming out, right? They can't be that stupid, surely.

Thats also very possible :lol:.'the only problem is if they had only completed 5 of the tracks, they must realise how far behind they are, and probably wouldn't have gone and told everyone when the game was coming out, right? They can't be that stupid, surely.

Well it's not exactly new to the industry to release a game unfinished. Let's wait and see.

What do you mean exactly?

He probably means that it looks lifeless and drab, where are the people? Where is the busy pit area? There is apparently only one person in Tokyo except those in the cars, and he's waving a flag. Everyone else has been wiped out.

Exactly what Samus wrote and to add something extra , the building and tents placed look like cardboard and not up to quality from what PD does normally.

Well it's not exactly new to the industry to release a game unfinished. Let's wait and see.
Whilst were on the subject of releasing unfinished games, wouldn't it be nice if PD just released the current build to the public and all subsequent builds, allowing users to play the game, watch it evolve and give it actual constructive criticism, instead of having everyone forced to guess how the game feels based off videos and other peoples impressions? Loads of devs do this now, and I personally love the idea.

They could have done, but I'm not sure whatever they planned for 6 months ago is that relevant since it's clear with the beta cancellation they've fallen behind schedule. With the information we have I can only speculate that they're not that far behind as showing 5 not-all-finished tracks would immediately suggest, as there are other reasons why they might do this.

Whilst were on the subject of releasing unfinished games, wouldn't it be nice if PD just released the current build to the public and all subsequent builds, allowing users to play the game, watch it evolve and give it actual constructive criticism, instead of having everyone forced to guess how the game feels based off videos and other peoples impressions? Loads of devs do this now, and I personally love the idea.

On console it's not possible because as Kaz said with regards to the beta, all code has to be signed off by Playstation as safe/secure/clean before it can be put out on the store. It would take way too long.

Exactly what Samus wrote and to add something extra , the building and tents placed look like cardboard and not up to quality from what PD does normally.
Agree. More moving/changing things - better. But other tracks also lacking wind for example (affecting trees) - it's main problem with tracks in GT to me.

Also I think you did say this yourself @Samus but it is entirely possible that Northern Isle and Tokyo are finished, but they're just pretty dull. As great as some of PD's original tracks are I don't think many could argue they haven't made some dull ones in their time. If that is the case then we've seen 4 finished tracks and one almost-there Nurburgring which doesn't sound unusual at this stage.

Did you notice guys that while loading a race, it's probably video playback with car you selected?
It's impossible to load a whole track in one second.
If so - that is very clever and beautiful solution. All possible combinations of tracks and cars, including time change won't eat too much space on BD because movies are short. (1-2gb for all at most).
Also they are perfect 60fps :)
Anyway - great menu design and music. Just perfect. 👍

Gran Turismo Sport - even loading screen is art :lol:

Sorry, I've been away a few days and have been playing catch up. Thanks to everyone who went to the event and posted their experience, I'm very jealous. Thanks to the GTPlanet staff for all the teasing before and after the event, providing an amazing medium for all of us not lucky enough to be there and for all your hard work. It is much appreciated!

To answer the pole, I have a PS4 and a G29. Pre-order for GTSport is a given.

Did you notice guys that while loading a race, it's probably video playback with car you selected?
If so - that is very clever and beautiful solution. All possible combinations of tracks and cars, including time change won't eat too much space on BD because movies are short. (1-2gb for all at most).

How is that going to work with a custom livery though? It must be a specially loaded piece of track, somehow. Loaded once you confirm them in the previous menu, perhaps.

That Tokyo Express Way track may look kinda greyish but it could do wonders with a fully updated sound model with the variety of sound "scapes" on offer there...:drool: :crazy:

Exactly my thoughts. All those tunnels and that "environment" has a lot of potential to enjoy some improved sounds. If we don't get SSR7, then Tokyo Express Way will be my main track for sound comparison.

Don't think it's a video but realtime. Would be strange if you have a car with a created livery and you see the base model in the loading sequence. I've also noticed the car appearing in the trackselection images. Great touch if you ask me. I simply cannot imagine them creating video's and images for all combinations.

Looks like it's the "scapes" thing.

How is that going to work with a custom livery though? It must be a specially loaded piece of track, somehow.

Ahhh, didn't thought about that. We will see!
For example Brands Hatch track intro have view from far above, don't know how whole track can be loaded in such time while game is running at 60fps with all effects flawlessly.

My question is - What is even loading if track and your car is already loaded? (time trial, one car)

Ahhh, didn't thought about that. We will see!
For example Brands Hatch track intro have view from far above, don't know how whole track can be loaded in such time while game is running at 60fps with all effects flawlessly.

My question is - What is even loading if track and your car is already loaded? (time trial, one car)

There is some sort of trickery going on, I imagine. No idea what, but obviously the full drivable track and car aren't already loaded.

It's not, it works in the same way as the new "Scapes": you have 2D images coupled with spatial informations that give the illusion of a car moving in a 3D environment.
You can see it better in the Bugatti video just uploaded. Think of the 2D backgrounds in old PS1 (and even PS2) games, like Final Fantasy.
LGC_UG.gif

It's a very neat techinque, I like it.

Looks like it's the "scapes" thing.

It's not, it works in the same way as the new "Scapes": you have 2D images coupled with spatial informations that give the illusion of a car moving in a 3D environment.
You can see it better in the Bugatti video just uploaded. Think of the 2D backgrounds in old PS1 (and even PS2) games, like Final Fantasy.

It's a very neat techinque, I like it.

Yeah. Looks like it. Great way of loading! :)

Edit:
I thought a bit about that.

Car is loaded already while you select it. Than we have a track selection with few seconds loading icon, if it were pre-rendered we wouldn't see loading at all. It seems "scapes" think are rendered at this point, with preview of track with car you selected.
What happens next I'm not sure...:)

Last edited:
Back