Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
I commented on what I've seen, it was merely an observation, and as I said, if you had noticed, I would need to play the game before I could really assess it's physics. I'm allowed to make an observation mate, and there's no need to get so defensive about it. Of course there will be articles on the world's biggest Gran Turismo fan site about how much better the new Gran Turismo is, so forgive me if I don't just take their word for it :rolleyes:
I don't think I count as having a pro GT bias.

I like watching this video- one of the first great videos taken on the day by @sirjim73 :bowdown: you can see the graphical detail in these cars are going to be so much better than GT6 even with video this taken off screen and on you tube they look great. Nice song as well to go with it :)

Hey, thanks for the compliment. I'm glad you've been enjoying the vids (still more to go up on the channel yet). :cheers:

I'm kind of disappointed they didn't invite me over to the Japanese event as I'm their main marketing man right now :lol:

I like watching this video- one of the first great videos taken on the day by @sirjim73 :bowdown: you can see the graphical detail in these cars are going to be so much better than GT6 even with video this taken off screen and on you tube they look great. Nice song as well to go with it :)

I wonder what name this style of music is called. Really my kind of vibe.

sirjim videos are the best. The guy knows how to record a game offscreen.

You can show this to non-gamers (and gamers too!) and they can't tell it's real or not! :D

This is the magic of PD. No other studio can nail photo-realistic graphics like them.

Hey, thanks for the compliment. I'm glad you've been enjoying the vids (still more to go up on the channel yet). :cheers:

I'm kind of disappointed they didn't invite me over to the Japanese event as I'm their main marketing man right now :lol:

You should be in Japan Jim. But be warned, if your videos become any better PD will ask you to remove them from youtube. :lol:

No, totally exploiting the physics flaws.

For years the fastest way around the track in most corners has been sliding the back out on entry to get it pointing straight ASAP whilst simultaneously abusing the gearbox on downshifts.

Fair enough. I'm not in anyway excusing GT's shonky physics but as I said earlier the fastest drivers will find the fastest way around a circuit within the given 'laws of physics' whatever they may be in that particular universe, be it Gran Turismo's, Assetto Corsa's, iRacings, Mario Kart's etc, or the real world.
Right or wrong if downshifting and sliding through the corners is the fastest way then it is the fastest way and the fastest drivers will use it. Not great for a game that prides itself on a real world driver development program though!
I do hope that the improvements to the physics in GT Sport will make that style of driving to be ineffective for getting top times.

Fair enough. I'm not in anyway excusing GT's shonky physics but as I said earlier the fastest drivers will find the fastest way around a circuit within the given 'laws of physics' whatever they may be in that particular universe, be it Gran Turismo's, Assetto Corsa's, iRacings, Mario Kart's etc, or the real world.
Right or wrong if downshifting and sliding through the corners is the fastest way then it is the fastest way and the fastest drivers will use it. Not great for a game that prides itself on a real world driver development program though!

That's the problem though. With GT if you are driving at 90% then the cars behave somewhat realistically, but when pushed to 100% everything breaks down. With Assetto, iRacing, etc you can push 100% and the cars still behave like real cars (or at least closer to reality than GT ever was). What this tells you is GT's physics becomes inaccurate when pushed to the limits, therefore there must be some calculations somewhere that are not quite right...

I do hope that the improvements to the physics in GT Sport will make that style of driving to be ineffective for getting top times.

That's what we're all hoping for 👍 Even if it's not quite up to the level of PC sims, at least fix the car behaviour on the limit so sliding around Ridge Racer style isn't the fastest way.

If the tire model and the way it handles heat retention was more accurate, the sliding around wouldn't be quicker over the entire lap.

Actually, PD have developed a special rubber that cools down to idle temperature within mere seconds, even after vigorous burnouts. They've clearly been testing them in game and are waiting for the big release onto the market, soon.

Actually, PD have developed a special rubber that cools down to idle temperature within mere seconds, even after vigorous burnouts. They've clearly been testing them in game and are waiting for the big release onto the market, soon.
:lol:

Even then it would be less than ideal for grip.

PDI clearly visited GTPlanet and saw all those complaints about the 2D trees in GT6 - now they have made the most realistic trees in any racing game :lol:

They really look damn real 👍

.... Gorgeous Trees cover art anyone? 💡 (Please tell me you all remember that one.)

There's still a lot of stuff I want to know about and see in action, but with this upcoming event honestly I'm most interested in seeing is how much the build has progressed from the iteration at the Copper Box. Just between the build in the gameplay trailer and the playable version on the first day at CB, there were visible improvements to the Nurburgring and some other trackside details, and with little to no drop in quality or framerate between the two. PD mentioned that visible/quantifiable development progress and achievements were being made daily, and that new builds were coming in multiple times a day, but for the first time in many many years, we may have actually had physical evidence that backs one of these sort of high-magnitude claims they've made.

For me, that's one of the most promising things that's been displayed/potentially displayed with GT Sport. I think today/tonight's event could be very telling in terms of how much can improve before launch, and how much water PD's words hold.

Last edited:
There's still a lot of stuff I want to know about and see in action, but with this upcoming event honestly I'm most interested in seeing is how much the build has progressed from the iteration at the Copper Box. Just between the build in the gameplay trailer and the playable version on the first day at CB, there were visible improvements to the Nurburgring and some other trackside details, and with little to no drop in quality or framerate between the two. PD mentioned that visible/quantifiable development progress and achievements were being made daily, and that new builds were coming in multiple times a day, but for the first time in many many years, we may have actually had physical evidence that backs one of these sort of high-magnitude claims they've made.

For me, that's one of the most promising things that's been displayed/potentially displayed with GT Sport. I think today/tonight's event could be very telling in terms of how much can improve before launch, and how much water PD's words hold.
And can improve after launch. naturally...(My guess: 85% ready in day 1+ patch)

Well, it's nearly 01h00 on this side of the world and I desire my slumber.

I hope to see good comments regarding the upcoming stream in the morning.

Odd as I've come across rain of differing intensities in Pcars, from light to a heavy downpour, my copy also scales the duration of the weather to the length of the race so running full length races has never resulted in weirdly short rain (not that short rain showers don't happen in reality).

Of course it would be nice of PCars varied the weather in career mode (however in other modes you can of course set it however you want, including random), it does however seem a little odd to call out PCars for this given that GTS will have neither variable weather or a career mode!
I know this is a bit late, but my time and energy to spend here have been limited this week. Let me start with mentioning that I've been in a couple of pretty bad wrecks over the past few years, one involving rain. It took me quite a while of driving in rain in real life to get comfortable with it again, but driving on snow still terrifies me. In-game snow courses are fine, because they are all wide sweeping affairs, but racing in rain is extremely demanding and still pretty much flat out, and it bothers me quite a bit. Particularly in games which have sometimes iffy communication between me and car, which PCARS is for me. I HAVE to have those tire sounds, and they're just too darn quiet.

The issue I have with PCARS' weather system is that it's a carbon copy pasted over every event. Whether practice, qualifying or the race itself, if not more than one of them, it's going to rain, and pretty hard. Just that point makes it weird, but then the way rain behaves on the track has to complicate things. The article that critiqued PCARS states that for him, the slickness effect is much too rapid, as is the drying effect when rain stops, almost on/off. And I could see that, because I'm hesitant to really push cars because of my wrecks, and I don't feel comfy around turns until road moisture is just about gone. But seriously, it's every damn event. It's not the ridiculous deluge in Forza 6, but I've never experienced light rain or drizzle. Maybe one of those patches changed things up, but I'm betting the frequency is the same. I got so sick of it, I quit the campaign after a few virtual months and just did arcade races. SUNNY arcade races. :D

As for GT Sport's weather system lacking variability, I'm obviously not fond of rain in any form, so I'm not chuffed about it. No time variability is something I'm sort of missing but not, as mine is always set to 1 in my GT6 plays, so it's practically fixed anyway. But the lack of a single player mode, it depends on what Sport has on offer. I could be entirely happy with a well fleshed out Arcade Mode, as that's essentially how I'm playing GT6 now, and if I was playing PCARS and Assetto Corsa, I'd be doing nothing but Arcade events. Hopefully we'll have some more solid info at E3 this month.

Basic point taken: show us something good.

That line about the physics though? What a crock of something-that-rhymes-with-height.

You can't be watching the same game play that I am watching then. The Tokyo race and the Nurburgring race, they had some hilarious arcade game like car actions going on.

Perhaps people don't know what they are talking about when they say physics and maybe some people who have tested the game are confusing FFB feeling with physics, it is pretty common but what I know is the comments being made do not match what we are actually seeing in game play videos, in those the physics look like that word that rhymes with height. I saw a comment where someone compared watching the Tokyo race to Ridge Racer and that seems like a fair comparison.

Come on, seriously, if you can make it past 40 seconds into this video without seeing the issues then you just don't want to see it. The Ridge Racer comparison is not only fitting, it is hilariously sad and this is what they are showcasing as serious esports or even trying to pass off as simulation.

7HO
You can't be watching the same game play that I am watching then. The Tokyo race and the Nurburgring race, they had some hilarious arcade game like car actions going on.

Perhaps people don't know what they are talking about when they say physics and maybe some people who have tested the game are confusing FFB feeling with physics, it is pretty common but what I know is the comments being made do not match what we are actually seeing in game play videos, in those the physics look like that word that rhymes with height. I saw a comment where someone compared watching the Tokyo race to Ridge Racer and that seems like a fair comparison.

Come on, seriously, if you can make it past 40 seconds into this video without seeing the issues then you just don't want to see it. The Ridge Racer comparison is not only fitting, it is hilariously sad and this is what they are showcasing as serious esports or even trying to pass off as simulation.

these are the top drivers...

I don't think I count as having a pro GT bias.

I'm not saying you do mate, but for the same reason I'm not likely to take a Pcars forum moderator's word for it when he says Pcars 2 will release feature complete and bug free, I'm not going to take a GTP moderator's word for it that GTS has heaps better physics. I'll wait to evaluate it for myself. I'm sure you understand that it's nothing against you.

I remember reading a lot of claims before GT6 came out about how the physics were so realistic and nothing like GT5, and when it came out it felt much the same.

If what you say is true, then it's good they've made a step in realism. How much time did you spend changing the set ups on the cars to see how altering each setting affected the cars?

these are the top drivers...
I'm not sure what your point is, those top driver put on one of the worst displays of driving I have ever seen, worse than rookie racing on iRacing, if these are the best GT has then GTS will be completely terrible. But regardless of their ability, even if you took the best drivers in the world who have ever lived, this driving is clearly unrealistic and again anyone who can't see it doesn't want to see it.

Like I said I want this game to be great and I have been extremely positive for the most part but I can't turn a blind eye to reality.

doesnt it make more sense to judge the physics when the game is out and you have played it? also dont think GT6s physics were terrible. plus sounds have improved, maybe not to the standard you want but they are much better than GT6. graphics? the cars look amazing IMO.

The reply was in regards to hype. They are hyping the game up with nothing to show and they are making claims with no evidence. We can clearly judge the physics when they are hilariously out compared to reality. The video I showed was because another made the Ridge Racer reference and it is easy to see what he meant in just the early parts of the video but a much better example would be watching those same "top drivers" around Nordschleife especially before the race, there were some hilariously sad physics going on there.

7HO
I'm not sure what your point is, those top driver put on one of the worst displays of driving I have ever seen, worse than rookie racing on iRacing, if these are the best GT has then GTS will be completely terrible. But regardless of their ability, even if you took the best drivers in the world who have ever lived, this driving is clearly unrealistic and again anyone who can't see it doesn't want to see it.

Like I said I want this game to be great and I have been extremely positive for the most part but I can't turn a blind eye to reality.

Next time don't read into it, it's should be more clear that I'm beside myself on how these are the best drivers, hence the ellipsis. No where do I try to make an excuse for them. My point to make it more abundantly clear, is it seems that the entire esports portion that PD and the FIA are trying to cash in on is rushed and not there yet. Yeah sure the biggest games like League of legends and CS:GO and even rocket league, didn't have their first sporting events be so clear cut either, but then again they were the first of their kind to, as to where racing games have been around since consoles themselves.

If this is the showcase they want to put on, they're doing a disservice to the FIA, and as you put it are far worse than professional sanctioned iracing championships hosted by the likes of NASCAR or Virgin Supercars.

Sorry @LMSCorvetteGT2 as I said I wasn't sure what your point was. I agree completely as you can see. Top Drivers in the world? There is no smiley or expression that properly conveys my reaction to that claim.

Surely, I'm not the only one who's confused about people claiming that the physics look bad when they haven't even played the game yet?

Do you need to play Ridge Racer to tell the physics are unrealistic?

Back