Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
7HO
you need to play Ridge Racer to tell the physics are unrealistic?

Yeah, and RR is an arcade game. It doesn't pride itself on realistic physics.

You can't judge physics of a game based upon what you've watched.

Maybe you should, I don't know, play it first?

In what sense does it pride itself? Driving or Racing, cause the argument many have made here to copout for GT is that it's the real driving simulator. Yet the FIA move and the step toward competitive esports says otherwise... So I'm trying to see how there is this pride, when we've seen AI physics just as bad as before if not worse, and the same twitchy online play as past iterations. I mean if physics are not the issue surely overall gameplay?

Of course you can but I'm not sure at this point if you are intentionally missing the point.

If you see footage of cars at speed get more angle than in real life and easily recover or you see a car swerving violently from side to side on the track and not even get unbalanced or lose grip in a realistic way, and the cars are ones that you are very familiar with having watched as much real life racing of the class as you can because it is your favourite racing in the world and these are your favourite cars...

it is easy even for the average person with any experience to see how unrealistic these things are let alone a massive fan of the cars.

7HO
Of course you can but I'm not sure at this point if you are intentionally missing the point.

If you see footage of cars at speed get more angle than in real life and easily recover or you see a car swerving violently from side to side on the track and not even get unbalanced or lose grip in a realistic way, and the cars are ones that you are very familiar with having watched as much real life racing of the class as you can because it is your favourite racing in the world and these are your favourite cars...

it is easy even for the average person with any experience to see how unrealistic these things are let alone a massive fan of the cars.

I get where you're coming from. The cars do move in pretty...strange ways.

Sorry; it's late, and I'm not really thinking straight.

7HO

You literally don't know what you are talking about. Maybe GTS physics will be bad, maybe not. But you can't tell from a network replay that doesn't use the physics engine you are judging. You need to see direct footage from the race itself live from a live player.

You literally don't know what you are talking about. Maybe GTS physics will be bad, maybe not. But you can't tell from a network replay that doesn't use the physics engine you are judging. You need to see direct footage from the race itself live from a live player.

You know I have used that line myself when someone pointed it out to me but this started with me responding to a post about PD not using hype and trying to redeem themselves and my point stands. You can't come in half way through a conversation and argue against comments taken out of context.

But in regards to that being a network replay, how bad is it! Keep in mind that this is being sold as an esports title and the live replay component is also being promoted as one of the new features of this title. Is this what you showcase?

Now compare this to live replays on iRacing. iRacing is good enough to broadcast on pay TV but this is what PD are happy to show off as the live broadcast system for FIA esports, I'd be embarrassed to show this if I was PD.

And that was my point, all these events, media and promotion can only be considered as hype but they have nothing to show and all these things they are saying are features or the good things about GTS we either haven't seen evidence of it or what they have shown would appear to contradict it.

This is what anyone who isn't in the "I'll buy it because it is GT" group will be judging the game on and at least IMO what they are currently showing isn't good enough to show. And to be blunt until GTS is reviewed by a trustworthy source on things like physics then we have no evidence of improved physics, that means critical review from the critics of the series, not some brief notes of feelings from a GTP member or a media representative or an associate of Polyphony or Sony. At this point we have only seen hype or claims that the physics are improved, there is no evidence to back up this claim however there is evidence that would suggest the claim is false such as the way cars recover when they bump off each other, the network replay argument can't explain away that.

BTW I would argue this is the real reason for no beta.

7HO
I'm not sure what your point is, those top driver put on one of the worst displays of driving I have ever seen, worse than rookie racing on iRacing, if these are the best GT has then GTS will be completely terrible. But regardless of their ability, even if you took the best drivers in the world who have ever lived, this driving is clearly unrealistic and again anyone who can't see it doesn't want to see it.
The racing that I saw in London in no way represents the kind of racing I've seen and experienced with the good to great racers in the GT series. The best racers can line up with the very best in any game in terms of ability and etiquette, that has been my experience and I have no doubt it'll be the case as this game moves forward. I chalk up the inconsistency to the lack of familiarity with the equipment, poor conditions for concentration, poor sound feedback, lack of practice, overall atmosphere etc. I don't expect to see that kind of erratic driving in anything even close to the upper echelons of the FIA sanctioned races.

To be clear, I'm talking about the drivers themselves, not the physics or netcode as it were.

The racing that I saw in London in no way represents the kind of racing I've seen and experienced with the good to great racers in the GT series. The best racers can line up with the very best in any game in terms of ability and etiquette, that has been my experience and I have no doubt it'll be the case as this game moves forward. I chalk up the inconsistency to the lack of familiarity with the equipment, poor conditions for concentration, poor sound feedback, lack of practice, overall atmosphere etc. I don't expect to see that kind of erratic driving in anything even close to the upper echelons of the FIA sanctioned races.

To be clear, I'm talking about the drivers themselves, not the physics or netcode as it were.

Neither do I but if these are the best representing a game sanctioned by the FIA, and by extension probably some of the drivers expected to be at such events due to being the best. One would hope that they'd show a better first outing. As I said the fact that this race seemed like any generic race I've seen before with random people online in past iterations, is what troubles me and gives this rushed feeling. Something that isn't foreign to PD/GT.

Neither do I but if these are the best representing a game sanctioned by the FIA, and by extension probably some of the drivers expected to be at such events due to being the best. One would hope that they'd show a better first outing. As I said the fact that this race seemed like any generic race I've seen before with random people online in past iterations, is what troubles me and gives this rushed feeling. Something that isn't foreign to PD/GT.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, it wasn't a great idea to throw a bunch of guys in there in that kind of forum and expect clean, close racing. It could happen but the odds are against it. I do understand how hard it is though to drive with unfamiliar equipment without a ton of practice. I recently spent two hours in the F1 style simulators at the RaceRoom in Calgary and I really struggled to get a feel for the cars even with the $30k worth of equipment in front of me. Finally got down to some good lap times but never really felt comfortable. I imagine in a much bigger forum like Copperbox with the entire world watching it is that much more difficult.

If this was the most difficult setting the driver AI is very forgiving, cause if those are the lap times then the AI is lapping the track 7-8 second faster than him. And yet he's still winning?

Look how easily he lapped everyone at the beginning of the race, the fact that they were right behind him even after the fact he did that only means one thing. Rubberbanding AI :grumpy:

I also don't like how the AI lets you pass them, if you're beside them on the turn they just brake and let you pass. Just look at the cars slow down on the overtake that happens at 1:16, it's like that the entire race.

So...Anyone tuning into the stream?

Edit
: Nevermind, 10 more minutes :lol:

Yeah patiently waiting, it will be interesting to see if it is a case of rinse and repeat or if we will see something better this time. Unfortunately I wont understand a thing as it isn't in English but maybe Youtube can translate?

Ehh - looks nothing like GT6 :)

I think I'll once again be GT Planet's eternal optimist. :D

Videos like these warm my heart. Seeing those GT cars running around the Nordschleife... this is why I love Gran Turismo. People can complain about imperfect physics (while giving their own pet games passes) and shoddy A.I., and yet, millions of us fans keep buying into this dream, this movement, of a crazy guy from Japan who has managed to impress a lot of important people in the automotive and motorsports world. Who gets invited to join a racing team, and does some of the best racing for them. Offers tuning suggestions. Tests out airfoil and suspension settings in a build of his game at the event, implements them, and they work as predicted. Is instrumental in how they finish.

He makes a video game that fools people into thinking it's real. And man, is it sometimes extremely hard to tell the difference.

He makes a game which produces the above video. A game which is both a sim and a global sports event.

Sure, criticize, quibble, suggest, make demands, ask for more goodies. This is what people do before a game's release.

But how can you not celebrate this, a game with so much going for it months before release? Which has so much potential? You guys can denegrate. I'm going to anticipate. Celebrate. This game.

Kaz, BRING IT!! :D

Something!!

upload_2016-6-3_22-36-2.png

Back